Reststop Wireless

Well, this might not be new in your area but Iowa is now offering free wireless internet access at it's reststops. (At least along I80)

Anybody using this type of service? Do you plan your route based on this access? Would the service make you more willing to buy a laptop so you can log on the road?

Is there anything about this I should be concerned about? Am I just just paying taxes for some bloggers access?

Edited by BlueDeuce
Well, this might not be new in your area but Iowa is now offering free wireless INTERNET access at it's rest stops. (At least along I80)

Anybody using this type of service? Do you plan your route based on this access? Would the service make you more willing to buy a laptop so you can log on the road?

Is there anything about this I should be concerned about? Am I just just paying taxes for some bloggers access?

probably some blogers -

more likely business men and truckers - who are also business men.

and also some families who pull up to use the 'john' and REST for a while on their trip.

in some ways I agree (and commiserate) with you on use of taxes.

cc\

"Beginning in June, six Iowa rest areas will be equipped as wireless access points. This technology allows motorists to connect to the Internet via their wireless communication devices while visiting one of the selected rest areas.

Iowa Department of Transportation Rest Area Administrator Steve McMenamin said, “The Internet is a great tool for providing traveler information. Wireless technology is now making it possible to provide access to the Internet while motorists are en route.” Nearly 17 million visitors stop at Iowa’s rest areas each year.

This six-month pilot research project will evaluate the long-term feasibility of providing wireless access at all Iowa rest areas. According to McMenamin, “If this technology proves beneficial to users in terms of increased highway safety and improved access to local tourist information and business services, the DOT could consider expanding it to other rest areas.” Expansion would involve a solicitation of bids from wireless companies to offer the free service.

This new service is a cooperative venture between the departments of Economic Development, Transportation and Public Safety, and I Spot ACCESS. These departments share a common interest---providing traveler information.

I Spot ACCESS is assisting these agencies to accomplish their goal by providing motorists with Free access to the Internet. I Spot ACCESS is financed through local business promotions.

Once connected to the I Spot Network, users will be directed to a customized Internet home page (specific to each rest area). It will offer travelers links to information regarding: winter road conditions; road construction; vehicle width and width restrictions; National Weather Service forecasts and alerts; reports of major traffic incidents; Amber Alerts; food, lodging, and fuel available at nearby businesses; and local tourism attractions and events.

Iowa Tourism Office Manager Nancy Landess said, “This new service has the potential to significantly increase tourism activity and local spending in the communities around the state.”

Iowa, have those people completely lost their freaking minds? :lol: Amazing stuff. :lol:

Come to think about it there was something I read about this kind of stuff, in middle Ga an Air Force base Warner Robins and the city that encompasses it. The city was conducting a study to wire the whole city to be wireless at least the way I remembered it. They were going to try a small area first and see how it went but haven't heard any more about it in a long while.

They have those little electronic keychains that have a row of LED's on them that light up and beep when you are within range of an unsecure wi-fi network. You can get them at Circuit City and Best Buy and Frye's and all kinds of computer and electronic stores.

They're the greatest for the laptop on the go.

Also, when my wife was in the hosptial recovering from surgery, I brought in her laptop and we were able to hone in on the unsecure network of the nearby laser eye surgery center so she could check her e-mail. What a convenience! That made her day.

:lol:

The city was conducting a study to wire the whole city to be wireless

Is that an Oxymoron :lol:

wired wireless? It is also mutually exclusive - but the news is very weird anyway these days.

Also more on topic -

The City of Hayward California has an area of about 4 city blocks around the City Hall that is a hot spot. Several businesses around town (the usual) and even some within the hot spot are also access points.

I have not had occasion to use the large city provided one - just read it in the paper.

cc\

Am I just just paying taxes for some bloggers access?

There are a bazillion truck drivers out there on the road who use this service regularly. They are often a long time between home runs, and the internet is a necessity for them. Consider them, for they bring you everything you consume. :lol:

Oh, I don't have a problem with that. I was just trying to generate some conversation. I fully plan to use it myself.

I would prefer to use it rather than stealing access in some residential neighborhood. People can get busted for doing that, trust me.

Edit: Oh by the way, I live on a farm. I know that food doesn't come from a store, or a truck. :lol:

Edited by BlueDeuce

Edit: Oh by the way, I live on a farm. I know that food doesn't come from a store, or a truck. :D

no ofcourse not, it's all magic. i thought everyone knew that! you'll be saying you have to grow stuff on farms next. why waste good geocaching land?

who'd eat an egg if they thought about where it came from :D

There are a bazillion truck drivers out there on the road who use this service regularly. They are often a long time between home runs, and the internet is a necessity for them. Consider them, for they bring you everything you consume. :D

Aren't they already compensated for this in the form of, oh I dunno, a paycheck?

To keep this on-topic, most Starbucks are equipped with (not free, but not expensive) WiFi AP's which have come in handy a couple of times already while out caching, as they're much easier to find in suburban-type areas around here than are unsecure AP's.

Great idea............I was doing a multi and forgot to write down one of the clues needed to find the final Phone a friend worked but I had to wait for a call back. Wireless at the local rest stop would have saved the day as I just happened to have a lap top in the trunk.

Versus paying a crew to man tourist information booths? Scales of cost says the hot spot is cheaper allowing more of your tax dollars to be utilized elsewhere. :laughing:

So when is Iowa closing down the tourist welcome centers now that the hotspots are open? And what about all the travelers withOUT laptops?

Back on topic:

In the case of unsecured AP's in cities - in the wake of the court case(s) charging people with stealing WiFi from unsecured AP's, how is one supposed to "know" whether an unsecured AP is there to purposely provide access to people or whether they're "stealing" access when they pick up the signal?

I didn't say they were closing them down. However the likelihood that it can happen isn't far-fetched. Fiscally, it makes better sense to put in hot spots than manned stations though. If you can disseminate more information out to a populace that is increasingly becoming electronically aware via laptop or PDA then so much the better.

And what about the folks without laptops? As with any other form of information dissemination... if they snooze they will lose. I can easily point at a couple of places that used to have manned tourist information booths. Now you have to hunt for a local civic center or library (if it isn't a closed due to holiday) in order to find the same info. They're now used car lots. The budgets can't handle extraneous expenditures that don't pay off.

To your question though, in the case of Washington State's Library system, these APs are easily identifiable by their SSID. A quick look about the premises will also allow you to note there are signs about that points out the available wireless hotspot. So it isn't really a matter of ignorance getting in the way.

There are a bazillion truck drivers out there on the road who use this service regularly. They are often a long time between home runs, and the internet is a necessity for them. Consider them, for they bring you everything you consume. :laughing:

Aren't they already compensated for this in the form of, oh I dunno, a paycheck?

To keep this on-topic, most Starbucks are equipped with (not free, but not expensive) WiFi AP's which have come in handy a couple of times already while out caching, as they're much easier to find in suburban-type areas around here than are unsecure AP's.

I was married to a truck driver. He would be on the road for weeks at a time, depending on pay phones to do everything (before cell phones were cheap). Being able to get on the net would have made life so much easier.

As far as the money goes, sometimes his paycheck just covered his expenses and sometimes he paid to haul somebody's stuff.

I'm all for wireless anywhere they can put it.

Come to think about it there was something I read about this kind of stuff, in middle Ga an Air Force base Warner Robins and the city that encompasses it. The city was conducting a study to wire the whole city to be wireless at least the way I remembered it. They were going to try a small area first and see how it went but haven't heard any more about it in a long while.

There have been a number of small to medium-sized cities that are attempting to install free WIFI for all who live within range. Even in (I think) Philadelphia. the city was trying to install wifi to cover an entire segment of the city, tho' I'm not sure how large an area it was. Doesn't that sound like a GREAT idea? I think so!! :unsure:

One problem--the DSL telephone companies and the cable companies think it's a lousy idea--why should a city give away what the ISPs sell for $40/month/customer??

In fact, they think so little of the idea that they actively lobby state utility agencies and state legislatures, as well as congress to block such free access. Their efforts have had some success, so it is an uncertain thing as to whether this type of service will become widespread.

If your interested, keep an eye on your local happenings and be prepared to react if there are objections to efforts to provide free city-wide access in your area... :unsure:

Sorry for the slightly OT posting

GeoForse

I'm very supportive of this stuff.

Once I get some money to spend on fun stuff, a nice laptop will be on the list of stuff to buy, and I would happily utilize this service.

Once I graduate high school, I'm planning a cross country road trip (it's kind of cliche, going on a summer road trip after high school, but I want to do it) and I'd certainly appreciate the freedom to fly by the seat of my pants that wifi allows.

Once I get some money to spend on fun stuff, a nice laptop will be on the list of stuff to buy, and I would happily utilize this service.

Once I graduate high school, I'm planning a cross country road trip (it's kind of cliche, going on a summer road trip after high school, but I want to do it) and I'd certainly appreciate the freedom to fly by the seat of my pants that wifi allows.

I think you'll be happier finding a good job, settling down, getting married.

Dang, where's that straight face emoticon.

I think you'll be happier finding a good job, settling down, getting married.

Dang, where's that straight face emoticon.

All I need is about a month, the summer before college. If I were to load down my Jeep with supplies, I could live out of it for weeks...

There have been a number of small to medium-sized cities that are attempting to install free WIFI for all who live within range. Even in (I think) Philadelphia. the city was trying to install wifi to cover an entire segment of the city, tho' I'm not sure how large an area it was. Doesn't that sound like a GREAT idea? I think so!! :unsure:

One problem--the DSL telephone companies and the cable companies think it's a lousy idea--why should a city give away what the ISPs sell for $40/month/customer??

In fact, they think so little of the idea that they actively lobby state utility agencies and state legislatures, as well as congress to block such free access. Their efforts have had some success, so it is an uncertain thing as to whether this type of service will become widespread.

If your interested, keep an eye on your local happenings and be prepared to react if there are objections to efforts to provide free city-wide access in your area... :unsure:

There is no such thing as "free" access. The other side of that wireless access point is attached to a network that is not free. If not, then THAT network is attached to one that is not free. Somewhere along the line, someone is paying for that bandwidth - and if it's your city or municipality that is providing the "free" access, guess who that someone is?

Trust me, so am I. What I'm *not* for is using my tax dollars to pay for it.

I think this is one matter where you sort of have to pick your battles.

How much money is really going towards putting internet in these rest stops? Certainly somewhere, there is more money going towards something even stupider.

For example, legislators in the state of Pennsylvania can have up to $600 a month for car leases. You know what kind of car you can lease for $600 a month? A nice one. And last time I checked, those guys are all members of the upper class, and I can't say they really need that extra $600 to pay for a car...

You need to pick the lesser of two evils.

Realize that there are far worse evils in the world than tax dollars going towards putting wifi in rest stops.

I think this is one matter where you sort of have to pick your battles.

How much money is really going towards putting internet in these rest stops? Certainly somewhere, there is more money going towards something even stupider.

For example, legislators in the state of Pennsylvania can have up to $600 a month for car leases. You know what kind of car you can lease for $600 a month? A nice one. And last time I checked, those guys are all members of the upper class, and I can't say they really need that extra $600 to pay for a car...

You need to pick the lesser of two evils.

Realize that there are far worse evils in the world than tax dollars going towards putting wifi in rest stops.

I agree with you, K-9, but you could say the same thing about all of the ridiculous nickel and dime federal, state and local programs that together take 27.3% of my money away from me every week. No single program in and of itself is enough to lose sleep over, but look what happens when you let it run rampant.

Let's carry this one step further shall we?

You should have a problem with libraries loaning out books to read paid for by your tax dollar too. These notorius places of public usage paid for by your tax dollars also provide the daily news papers there... for free! All of these services are already provided for by book stores and newspaper stands. So why have these services in place as well? Let's shut 'em down and save those bucks! Make the consumer pay for it at the bookstore, the coffee shop, or wherever else these services might be purchased from.

There have been a number of small to medium-sized cities that are attempting to install free WIFI for all who live within range.  Even in (I think) Philadelphia. the city was trying to install wifi to cover an entire segment of the city, tho' I'm not sure how large an area it was.  Doesn't that sound like a GREAT idea?  I think so!!  :mad:

In fact, they think so little of the idea that they actively lobby state utility agencies and state legislatures, as well as congress to block such free access.  Their efforts have had some success, so it is an uncertain thing as to whether this type of service will become widespread.

If your interested, keep an eye on your local happenings and be prepared to react if there are objections to efforts to provide free city-wide access in your area...  :lol:

There is no such thing as "free" access. The other side of that wireless access point is attached to a network that is not free. If not, then THAT network is attached to one that is not free. Somewhere along the line, someone is paying for that bandwidth - and if it's your city or municipality that is providing the "free" access, guess who that someone is?

The point is not so much the "free" aspect. I realize everything has a cost, but economies of scale do figure in.

It's more the fact that private and regulated utilities are blocking area-wide wifi access.

GeoForse