Nova Breakfast Gathering

TeamRJJO

We are new to the game and would love to actually meet some of our local geocachers. We noticed that there is a breakfast gathering in Charlottesville, VA for cachers and the idea is a great one. Borrowing from this theme, we were wondering if this has been done in Northern Virginia before and if there is any interest for a gathering such as this. The plan would be to meet at a local diner/restaurant in the morning to have coffee or breakfast and meet other cachers. Is anyone interested?

You can certainly give it a shot! I'd bet you'll be surprised at the turn-out. Not a high percentage read these forums, so here are some things I'd suggest:

1.) Find a suitable place to hold the breakfast

2.) Contact the manager and find out the possibility of holding 20-30 (or more!) people in one party for breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday. Use the size of the group as a way to determine where to host it. If the place you tend to go only holds 40-50, might find somewhere else to do it.

3.) Submit an event page at least 30 days in advance to give people a chance to plan for it.

4.) Sit back and wait for the event day to come, and enjoy your breakfast.

Depending on the day and the location, might be worth a trip down from Baltimore for your breakfast event.

:lol:

Thanks to each of you for your help! I am definitely toying with the idea...in the Springfield area. There are many old and new caches to be found after breakfast within 5 miles or so.

BigCall it looks as if it has been about three years since the last NoVa breakfast. We have enjoyed the little contact we have had on the trails with other caches. We have had fun with your caches BigCall

Thanks!

Jenn (Team RJJO)

Okay,

I checked out a few places that I do not think were set up well for this type of event (Bob Evans, IHOP - too difficult to sit together, long lines, etc.), a couple of family owned places, bagel shop - too small) These were mainly in the Springfield area.

Can anyone recommend any places they think may work....in Alexandria, Fairfax, Reston, Woodbridge?

Ideally, would like a setting where folks could come in and sit at a number of tables that are close to each other or set off together, ... folks can eat or not or just have coffee...not wait in long lines, be conducive to socializing and not be pushed out quickly due to long lines.

You can certainly give it a shot! I'd bet you'll be surprised at the turn-out. Not a high percentage read these forums, so here are some things I'd suggest:

1.) Find a suitable place to hold the breakfast

2.) Contact the manager and find out the possibility of holding 20-30 (or more!) people in one party for breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday. Use the size of the group as a way to determine where to host it. If the place you tend to go only holds 40-50, might find somewhere else to do it.

3.) Submit an event page at least 30 days in advance to give people a chance to plan for it.

4.) Sit back and wait for the event day to come, and enjoy your breakfast.

Depending on the day and the location, might be worth a trip down from Baltimore for your breakfast event.

:lol:

Prepare for the influx of cachers! :mad:

Okay,

I checked out a few places that I do not think were set up well for this type of event (Bob Evans, IHOP - too difficult to sit together, long lines, etc.), a couple of family owned places, bagel shop - too small) These were mainly in the Springfield area.

Can anyone recommend any places they think may work....in Alexandria, Fairfax, Reston, Woodbridge?

Ideally, would like a setting where folks could come in and sit at a number of tables that are close to each other or set off together, ... folks can eat or not or just have coffee...not wait in long lines, be conducive to socializing and not be pushed out quickly due to long lines.

You can make it midweek, around 6 AM. No lines and we can hit the event b4 work.

Before you say its too early, the 5/5/05 event in NJ (in a diner at 5 am) was pretty well attended from what I hear.

Okay,

You can make it midweek, around 6 AM. No lines and we can hit the event b4 work.

Before you say its too early, the 5/5/05 event in NJ (in a diner at 5 am) was pretty well attended from what I hear.

Yeah... but I only had to drive 90 miles for that one --- this cache is probably closer to 290!!! :mad:

The Old Country Buffet in Fairfax was the location of the other NoVA Breakfast gatherings. I've been to OCB based events in IL too.

OK, it's not the greatest food, nor the most glamorous spot, but the buffet allows people to stream in and out and there usually isn't that big of a crowd there. You pay when you come in which alleviates some of the headache. They were willing to block off an area for cachers last time.

Just throwing it out there since it seems to match what you stated above...