The Stuff In A Cache

PastorChip

I only learned of Geo-caching recently and went for the first time with a friend a few days ago. Got three in a few hours.

Meanwhile when I tell my daughter about it, she seems to get the wrong idea.

For example, the first question she asked was whether I would put the money I got (From the caches) into her college fund. Uh. sure. But I still think you better consider that loan!

Then I read on here that most of the contents of the caches was junk. Which strikes me as funny, because I thought the content of the cache was kinda beside the point!

So whcih is it? Is geocaching about treasure hunting or about the adventure of finding new locations and the curiosity of what might be in the cache?

Its definately the middle of the three choices for me.

But if I found a Scholarship for say $100,000 to my daughters college of first choice, I wouldn't leave it for the next guy! But then again if the cache is holding some great treasure I might not take it, because it only seems fair to leave something of about the same value as what you take. Or am I reading to much into that?

I know I am beginning to ramble, but I am a newbie and couldn't resist posting.

Young grasshopper searches for answers. :lol:

You'll find a score of reasons as to why people geocache. (Hmm, I think I can even find a few threads on the subject that are worth reading.)

As for involving or even explaining to family members, just know that geocaching can be lonely obsession.

Here's one Why do you do it?

Edited by BlueDeuce

The first caches I found, I didn't have anything with me to trade, so I didn't take anything . . . it was just about the adventure and getting out and getting some exercise.

I always carry a variety of "swag" with me now, but I don't trade very often . . . however, if I see something cool as a "memento" of that cache, I like to be able to leave something I hope is equal.

Huh, I said this in Oct of 2003. It seems so long ago.

It gives me a reason to get my lazy butt outside for some exercise, I spend more time with my kids who love the hunt just as much as I do, each cache is like puzzle that needs to be solved, it has taken me places I probably would have never gone to or known about, and I have meet many interesting, like-minded, people.

Other than that it's a complete waste of time.

Treasure is elusive. There have been caches in my area with a $100 bill, and even a Krugeraand as a first to find prize. Those are the rare exceptions. Most caches are filled with stuff from the dollar store, McToys, and other items of dubious value.

If you are caching with your six-year-old, match box cars and a new box of 24 crayons is treasure. If you are expecting keys to a new Lexus, you are apt to be disappointed.

The hunt, the opportunity to be outdoors with family, the feeling of accomplishment when you find the cache. That is the treasure for me. . . .

But then, alas, I am no long six years old. :lol:

If you are expecting keys to a new Lexus, you are apt to be disappointed.

Except for First-To-Find prizes you're expected to trade even or up, so you'd have to leave the keys to BMW if you found the keys to a Lexus anyway. :lol:

Edited by Thot
...So whcih is it? Is geocaching about treasure hunting or about the adventure of finding new locations and the curiosity of what might be in the cache?

Yes. :lol:

In this order:

1) the adventure of finding new locations

2) the adventure of finding new locations

3) the adventure of finding new locations

4) the curiosity of what might be in the cache

5) treasure hunting

I'm with BlueDeuce

It gives me a reason to get my lazy butt outside for some exercise,  each cache is like puzzle that needs to be solved, it has taken me places I probably would have never gone to or known about, and I have meet many interesting, like-minded, people.

I often leave stuff but rarely take stuff, but I do like to see what's there :laughing:

For us, geocaching is about spending time together as a family, creating happy memories for our kids, teaching our kids to appreciate the environment, teaching our kids to use their brains, and getting our fat butts off the sofa.

However, the swag is a small part of the appeal, especially as far as kids are concerned. If you weren't out there looking for something tangible, then why not just take coordinates of an interesting rock formation and tell everyone to go look for it. I imagine there would be far fewer participants if that were the case. We don't have great expectations for the treasure and we frequently take nothing since the quality is often poor or inappropriate. We certainly don't expect any items of great value. We always try to leave something even if we take nothing. We like to think that we are doing our small part to improve the quality of the treasure. Often there are very inexpensive things that are of value to grown-ups too. If everyone tried to place better things, even if they got nothing in return, then the quality of the treasure would eventually improve on a wider scale. I prefer to do this than just give up on the swag entirely.

We are relatively new at this too. We recently placed our first cache and we tried to stock it well with better quality items. Those who have found it have all commented on how well stocked it was or how good the items were. We have also noticed that the people who have found it tend to leave nicer items in our cache than they do in some other caches. I guess finding good stuff inspires some people to leave good or better stuff. :rolleyes:

I agree with the "gives me somthing to do, gets me off the couch, gets me outside" idea. I travel quite a bit with my job, all over the county, and it also gives me something to do other than sit around the hotel room. When you're in a strange city, it's hard to know where to go and what to do for fun. Geocaching has allowed me to explore these new areas and find places that I know I wouldn't have seen otherwise. As for treasure, I usually don't trade unless I have my caching buddy (4 year old Little Boo) with me. :rolleyes: