Is It Hard

I have a similar idea in the works. The cache would be suspended by a network of cams and pulleys and it actually takes pulling one rope to make a second rope accessable. Only this second rope is about 50 feet away and a person wouldn't be able to grab it without letting go of the first rope (and making the second rope go out of reach again. Then once both of those ropes are pulled down, a third rope is revealed that is the proper rope to lower the cache. Only that rope is also at least 50 feet from the first 2. Also the cache is lowered between all three ropes - just out of reach. The idea is to have 4 people do this cache - three to pull the ropes and one to access the cache.

If I ever get this off the ground, the cache would be called "With a Little Help From My Friends"

This was probably the most difficult cache to get to and find that I have looked for. It is hidden in a big pile of rocks on the top of a very steep hill.

I did a cache recently where you did have to "reel" it in, just like landing a big fish, when you were replacing it.

To retrieve it, you had to be careful to lower it slowly using the reel correctly on the fishing pole. It was a fun cache. :lol:

I have a similar idea in the works. The cache would be suspended by a network of cams and pulleys and it actually takes pulling one rope to make a second rope accessable. Only this second rope is about 50 feet away and a person wouldn't be able to grab it without letting go of the first rope (and making the second rope go out of reach again. Then once both of those ropes are pulled down, a third rope is revealed that is the proper rope to lower the cache. Only that rope is also at least 50 feet from the first 2. Also the cache is lowered between all three ropes - just out of reach. The idea is to have 4 people do this cache - three to pull the ropes and one to access the cache.

If I ever get this off the ground, the cache would be called "With a Little Help From My Friends"

that sounds cool wouls you tell the cacher before hand or mack them go out there more then once?

Edited by geo_boy_2001

I've found two caches hidden using a method similar to what you are suggesting and I enjoyed them both. The first one I found very easily because I could see it hanging from the tree from 50 feet away in the winter. The second one was in a camo bag and hung using camo rope. The way I found it was by finding the rock on the ground to which the end of the rope was attached. Because of the camo bag, even when I was looking up into the branches it was hard to see. Keep in mind that hoisting up a heavy cache a long way can be a problem for some folks. The key is to keep the container light.

I've found two caches hidden using a method similar to what you are suggesting and I enjoyed them both. The first one I found very easily because I could see it hanging from the tree from 50 feet away in the winter. The second one was in a camo bag and hung using camo rope. The way I found it was by finding the rock on the ground to which the end of the rope was attached. Because of the camo bag, even when I was looking up into the branches it was hard to see. Keep in mind that hoisting up a heavy cache a long way can be a problem for some folks. The key is to keep the container light.

would you rether beable to see it or not see it?

geo_boy, "cool" is very subjective. Some people think that magnetic keyholders on signposts every .15 mile along a highway is "cool". Some people don't think a cache is "cool" unless they had to risk life & limb to access it. Some people think a cache is very "un-cool" if it takes them more than 5 minutes to find it.

Take a look at the caches you've found, and think about what made them "cool" or "uncool" to you. Read the descriptions and logs of other caches in your area, and get a feel for what your fellow cachers find "cool".

If you think you've got a creative idea, by all means feel free to sound it out here in the forums. You'll get feedback on whether the idea is basically workable or not, whether it's innovative or "been done a thousand times", and whether there are prospective problems that might not have occurred to you.

But nobody here can really tell you whether the actual execution of your idea will be "cool" or not. The way you find that out is by the feedback you get from the finders.

This was probably the most difficult cache to get to and find that I have looked for. It is hidden in a big pile of rocks on the top of a very steep hill.

I did a cache recently where you did have to "reel" it in, just like landing a big fish, when you were replacing it.

To retrieve it, you had to be careful to lower it slowly using the reel correctly on the fishing pole. It was a fun cache. :lol:

A pile of rocks on top of a hill that has a breathtaking view could definitely be cool.

A pile of rocks that's just a pile of rocks is definitely UN-cool. :lol:

Yes, even though I spent an hour looking, unsuccessfully, for that cache the first time I went there, the view was great and I loved climbing around on the rocks . . . so it was cool, and I had lots of fun! :lol:

I probably wouldn't have even looked for the one you linked to . . . :lol:

that sounds cool wouls you tell the cacher before hand or mack them go out there more then once?

I would think the title of the cache would be enough of a hint. I think explaining the whole process up front would take away from the experience of learning how to lower the cache.

Also, I thought about the weights as well - more power to ya if you want to lug them all the way up the mountain. I actually approve of different people using different angles to solve a problem.

I just did one that will stay in my top ten hardest for a while. It was in a cave 3/4 of the way up a cliff with just a little walk way to it. It was off in a remote part of a state park which made having a Jeep a bonus. Devil's Den Ods of finding it are about 50/50 and you must have a flashlight or be able to opporate in darkness.

Loch Cache

Edited by Loch Cache
The key is to keep the container light.

I can think of at least five right now that we have found that were up in trees and had to be lowered with a rope -- and three of them were ammo cans. For most of the finds, there were two crabs there -- but for one I was alone, and because of the way the rope was set up I was afraid for a moment that the ammo can was going to come crashing down on my head :lol:

With my lack of knowledge of pulley systems, and not liking to meticulously place caches that make me frustrated, I'd probably just hide it in the tree and make the cacher climb it to get it.

That just reminded me of a great overlook that you can only accomplish by climbing a tree. Maybe a cache placement? Wonder if it lays under the guidelines they must be accessible from the ground?

Thanks!

I've daydreamed about a cache called "World's Laziest Cache".

In my daydream, I'd have some private land someplace, with lots of possible cache hiding places.

You arrive at the cache location. There's an outdoor lounge chair with a pillow you can lay on underneath a very tall tree. Lots of possible places to look for the cache. So you do. Can't find cache.

Then you notice the hint: "If you get tired of looking for the cache, just lie down on the chair and relax. It will come to you somehow."

So you collapse on the chair. Your head hits the pillow. Inside the pillow is an audible click of an electric switch. WHAT the - ?

Down from very high on the tree comes the cache on the end a rope. It comes gently to rest on your stomach. The switch had triggered an electric mechanism that lowered the rope!

The cache box has instructions for another switch for raising it up again when you are done.

First finder gets a 6-pack of good beer lowered along with the cache. Kick back, dude! :lol:

So you collapse on the chair.  Your head hits the pillow.  Inside the pillow is an audible click of an electric switch.  WHAT the - ? 

Down from very high on the tree comes the cache on the end a rope.  It comes gently to rest on your stomach.  The switch had triggered an electric mechanism that lowered the rope!

:lol:

Here's what would happen if I were looking for it:

I sit on the couch instead of lying down. I plunk my caching bag on the pillow next to me, triggering the switch. As I'm staring lazily ahead, and certainly not looking up, down comes the cache crashing on my head :lol:

My co-crab then snickers at me and says "That's what you get for not following the directions..."

I'd probably just hide it in the tree and make the cacher climb it to get it.

That just reminded me of a great overlook that you can only accomplish by climbing a tree.  Maybe a cache placement? Wonder if it lays under the guidelines they must be accessible from the ground?

There is a cache in MA that you have to climb three trees to get. Up there ? the first two stages are rings with coords on them and the final is the cache which is up in a tree. No getting around climbing unless you bring another person along to do it for you.

I don't believe there are rules against putting the cache in a tree.

Loch Cache

Edited by Loch Cache

I normally don't write in the forums that often, but I had to chim in here.

We have a cache just like that, lots of pulley's connected to a homemade container of PVC about the length of your arm. It was a lot of fun watching my husband place the cache :mad: It's about 25 feet off the ground and even custom camo painted to some 550 cord. It worked really well and everyone that has gone to it has really enjoyed it :lol:

So i say go for it!

Crystal

Edited by Trekin Triad