Off Topic - What's All This About Then?

I know this is nothing to do with geocaching but I thought all the combined minds out there might have come across this before.

I've just had a strange encounter and I can't make up my mind whether I missed out on the bargain of a lifetime or escaped a clever scam :lol: See what you think.

I just took the car down to the garage for a car wash. After paying in the kiosk for the carwash voucher I was walking back to the car when another one pulled up and an Italian "gentleman" asked me the way to Heathrow airport. He then engaged me in conversation and said he was returning home from a clothing exhibition. Apparently he was an Armani representative and had a load of "samples" on the back seat. He said he'd like to give me some samples for helping him :lol:

He then proceeds to show me all sorts of very expensive looking shirts, leather jackets, ties and a nice suit. I have to say they all looked extremely expensive and they were all packed very well. Having gone through his stock he then fills up a large carrier bag with supposedly several thousand pounds worth of stuff.

Nice :lol:

Now he explains that he is returning the hire car to Heathrow and he wants me to give him a hundred pounds (or two, I didn't quite hear) to help him pay for the return of the car "as he has lost his credit card!!!" Yeah - right!

Of course I don't have that kind of money on me.

"Do I have a card I can draw some money from the cash machine?" No, I says. Actually I truly didn't have it with me.

"How about going home to get it?" No, I says, the wife has it and she's at work. A lie this time but I'm feeling uneasy by now.

I show him the contents of my pocket (about £8 in loose change) and convince him there's no money forthcoming. With a shrug he takes back all the lovely clobber, smiles, shakes my hand and says goodbye.

So what was the deal? Was it likely he WAS a salesman trying to make a few tax free quid by flogging off his samples rather than returning home with them (they were all packaged to look like genuine samples) or was there a more sinister motive? Has anyone ever encountered this sort of thing before?

Sounds like a scam. I remember being asked if I wanted to buy a 'really expensive' watch at some motorway services once. They even had a catalogue with pics of it inside but it was just obvious something wasn't right so I resisted temptation. Saw the scam on Watchdog a few weeks later. The clothes were probably fakes so I have no doubt you did right by not contributing to his bank balance! :lol:

SCAM!!!!

it's a well known one. Typically it's clothing or sometimes it's electrical goods. They show you some nice gear and you end up paying over the odds for something very similar but not very good at all. A friend of mine fell for this and instead of expensive leather jackets he ended up with faux-leather tat.

Steer well clear of any of this sort of thing.

Remember if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!!!!

Yeah it was a scam.

I've been stopped in town plenty of times by random hooky men who ask you if you wanna buy a watch....

I mean even I had a 100% Guarantee the stuff was genuine, not fake and always going to work I'd have still walked away.

I don't buy off randoms...

SCAM! I had a guy 'on his way back from an exhibition' offer me a nice watch once. He started at £50 and I'd pressured him down to £5 in the end. Never try to sell to a salesman who's better at striking a deal than you! It was a rubbish watch but I did need one and would have struggled to pay that for the most plastic of Argos' range.

He may have shown you 'lovely stuff' but it was fake, stolen, or real - but not actually what he would have handed over if you'd turned your back for a second. He'd have given you something very similar looking in a sealed bag.

SP

SCAM, SCAM!!

Work for an Italian company and came across one of these "people" at Knutsford Services. Happen to have an Italian Engineer with me, so after a rapid exchange in Italian, translates to, F*** OFF!!.

One word I did get was "furberia", means trick, no Italian word for SCAM.

Being somewhat of a UK traveller I have two stock replies, keep a straight face :lol:

For the watch, leather coat, etc salesman! Just say "I work for trading standards, can I take a closer look" Normal, screech of tyres as they exit the car park!!!

For the credit card sales "ladies", Just say "Great, since I was declared bankrupt two years ago, have been trying to get a credit card", the look you get is well,... just try it!!

And if you are bothered by double glazing, kitchen etc , sales at home, Just shout, after a short pause, "TRACY, TRACY!!!! TRACY YOU DAFT COW, WIL DU COUNCIL LET US AVE A NEW KITCHEN" Bet you get dial tone when you return to the phone :lol:

PS:- Sorry to anyone called Tracy.

KEEP SMILING!!

Nick

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

ALTOGETHER NOW :lol::lol::lol:

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

Oooops Sorry, wrong song, I was thinking of SPAM!! :lol::lol:

Often the scam is to buy a laptop - they show you the laptop, put in a laptop bag, then after you have given them the money, they give you a laptop bag stuffed with old magazines or suchlike to make it weigh the same.

A friends brother ended up buying a laptop off a "bloke down the garage" which turned out to be a laptop bag full of potatoes and flour, lol. At the price he agreed to pay, it was obviously a dodgy deal in the first place, so it served him right :lol:

I've just had a strange encounter and I can't make up my mind whether I missed out on the bargain of a lifetime or escaped a clever scam ohmy.gif See what you think.

I'm wiv the ovvers...

A popular one around here a few years ago was a van full of big bad-a** stereo speakers in the back, all nicely packed in factory cartons. These sometimes, but not always, had recognizable names like JBL, Cerwin-Vega! or Altec-Lansing on them. The driver and his assistant would explain, with paperwork to back it up, that they were delivering say 10 speakers to a customer but the warehouse had loaded 12 in by mistake. Hence they wanted to sell the "extra" pair for cheap before returning with the van. I know 2 people who got taken by this one. The speakers in one case were definitely not JBL and in the other were just cheap drivers in a particleboard box with MacTac veneer. Remarkably, this type of selling tactic isn't illegal.

I was stopped by some of these guys one time and they gave their pitch. So I said, I need more than 1 pair of speakers so how much for the lot? And they gave me a price. I just laughed and walked away!

Don't take the passive approach when dealing with sharks like this. Just be blunt. Don't make excuses that they may have rehearsed answers for otherwise you'll find yourself the proud owner of a big box of junk.

Cheers!

Coupar Angus

Remarkably, this type of selling tactic isn't illegal.

You are right - that is remarkable - do you have a citation for that? I would have thought that theft, which is defined in the Theft Act as "dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it" would cover it.

The test of "dishonest" is "Firstly, according to the ordinary standards of reasonable and honest people, was what was done dishonest? Secondly, if it was dishonest by those standards, did the accused realise that reasonable and honest people would regard his conduct as dishonest?"

Appropriation includes obtaing by consent. Property includes money.

So if a person sets out to trick another into handing over money in exchange for goods which do not exist, or are deliberatly missdescribed or labeled, that is theft.

For example, if I go into a shop and swap the boxes that two items are in so that I can buy a more expensive item at the lower price I am definitly guilty of theft - I have seen caselaw on the matter. I can't see how it makes any difference whether it is the seller or the buyer who deliberatly swaps boxes - the charge of theft will be based on "dishonest appropriation of property".

... which turned out to be a laptop bag full of potatoes and flour

Ahh - computer chips. Low lives with a sense of humour :lol:

We were stopped recently by a white van man who'd "Tried to deliver 2 three piece leather suites but the customer had only ordered one so he had one in the back and didn't want to take it all the way back to the factory" etc etc (The one he delivered must have been on the roof 'cos it wouldn't have fitted in there too but I digress) Having declined he drove 50yds on and had a pedestrian interested enough to be looking in the back and talking prices by the time we were passing - which is presumably the point - if they never pulled the scam off then they would be doing a different one

Theft Act as "dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it" would cover it.

Yes, but the goods aren't really stolen. They're just cheap guvno.

So if a person sets out to trick another into handing over money in exchange for goods which do not exist, or are deliberatly missdescribed or labeled, that is theft.

Okay, if the speakers were labelled as JBL etc, then yes you are correct. If however they had a different brand name then there is no misrepresentation.

The test of "dishonest" is "Firstly, according to the ordinary standards of reasonable and honest people, was what was done dishonest? Secondly, if it was dishonest by those standards, did the accused realise that reasonable and honest people would regard his conduct as dishonest?"

To answer the first part, no. It would strike the prospect as quite frank. :lol:

Buyer beware!

Cheers!

C-A

As some people on here know, I changed my personal email about a couple of months ago. I still run the other email but only for official correspondance. At the time of changing my email address i also changed it with ebay.

Today I got an email saying it was from ebay, with a link to it's site asking for me to enter my details, so that I could become a free power member.

My suspicions rose as it was sent to the old email address. So I never gave my details onto the site that resembled ebay in every minute little way, and I reported the email to them.

Suffice to say I have just got a reply to my current address from ebay, saying that the email was indeed false, and they are now investigating it with law enforcement.

So it just goes to show that you can be scammed whilst in the comfort of your own home.

If you get an email from the following address -

eBay PowerSeller Community <aw-confirm@ebay.com>

saying -

Silver PowerSeller Program 

Dear eBay Seller,

Congratulations!

Due to your continued sales success on eBay, we are delighted to invite you to join our Silver

PowerSeller Program. As a PowerSeller, you will receive additional support to help you to continue

to sell successfully.

Membership to this selected group is FREE. Joining is a simple two-step process:

1. Go to PowerSeller Program signin page by clicking here

2. Signin , by signing in on PowerSeller Program page you request to join PowerSeller Program.

Once you accept, we will provide you with a PowerSeller Icon next to your UserID as

recognition of your hard work. In addition, you will also have the following benefits of membership:

Priority Email Support for all levels plus dedicated Phone support Team

Access to dedicated PowerSeller Portal

A PowerSeller Welcome Pack

A Discussion Board for you to network with other PowerSellers

A dedicated PowerSeller Newsletter

Free PowerSeller Business Templates

Access to the latest developments on listing tools, Shops, promotions and other trading tips

Please note that you must join for eBay`s PowerSeller Program by the last day of the month.

Regards,

Your eBay PowerSeller Team 

eBay International AG sent this e-mail to you because of your outstanding feedback, high sales, and good account standing .

If you would not like to be invited to join the PowerSeller program, click here, click "Check it out", and click "Decline" at the

bottom of the page. Please note that it may take up to 14 days to process your request.

Copyright © 1995-2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

Then it is not legitimate. :laughing::unsure:

Genuine emails from eBay always address you by your user name. If an email appears to be from eBay but begins "Dear eBay user" or anything other than your user name it's an attempt at phishing. Forward it to spoof@ebay.co.uk

And genuine emails from PayPal always address you by your real name. Anything else at the top and it's not genuine - forward it to spoof@paypal.com

These attempts to get your details are extremely common, unfortunately.