How Prevalent Is Signal Loss?

I'm new to Geocaching and I have been reading many many reviews about different GPS devices. I have not bought one yet, but I have an idea of what features I would like are. The biggest question (concern) I have is that some of the reviews mention that one GPS or the other loses signal easily, or acquries signal quickly, etc. The RINO 120 I used lost the signal about a dozen times in a 4 mile R/T hike in light woods yesterday in clear weather. None of the RINO reviews I read mentioned anything about the RINO losing signals. So I'm left to wonder, if I set 2.5 signal losses per mile as a bench mark, how would other models stack up? If it mentions signal loss as a con in the review, I'm left to assume it means it's worse than the RINO (based solely on the fact that it wasn't mentioned as a pro or a con).

If you followed what I just typed, have any of you experienced a RIN) 120 and maybe have some ideas?

I'm looking at the Explorist 300, eTrex Vista, etc.

There are mny reason for signal lose. Though I am not famiular with the Rino120 I have caused signal lose from blocking the satellites with my body, it depense up on the satellite constillation. It depends upon the tree cover sometimes I am in what I consider light tree cover and I'll get "lost sat" message. But it is not un common the Rino has a quad helix antenna which I think is the best but again it works best when perpendicular to the ground instead of parallel like a patch type antenna in the Etrex. So there can be many factors. What I suggest is you find a GPSr that you trust and don't over analize it. Buy simple and cheap to start with is the other suggestion.

cheers

a couple of things to remember -

a - gps's have to be held properly -

. . the units with a patch antenna must be held horizontally

. . the units with the coil antenna must be held vertically

. . read the manual or ask someone here on the respective model

b - hold it away from your body - you block signal

. . can you do Statue of Liberty?

. . does not really have to be that bad, but at times when signal was

. . really bad, the best signal was gotten by holding it high.

all models are different (sorry I don't know the Rino), work differently, have different electronics and software, and their own strange characteristics.

ymmv

cc\

I wouldn't worry too much about loosing the signal. It's going to happen no matter what you do. I clippped my 60sc to the sternum strap on my backpack and never lost signal untill I bent over the cache. My caching partner would occasionally loose signal with his vista. Other times it seems like a single tree would block everyhing. I've found that the better I got at finding the caches the less I needed the GPSr within 100 ft.