Can't Unlock Maps

I've installed, uninstalled and re-installed City Select for my 60cs four times in the last two days. The software says that the maps downloaded successfully, but a little window pops up on the GPSr and says "can't unlock maps". What am I doing wrong? This is driving me nuts!

TIA :wacko:

You should have a certificate included with your City Select that says "MapSource Unlock Certificate" at the top. There is a sticker on that certificate with a code similar to the following:

1A2BCDEF

If you have this certificate, in MapSource click on "Utilities" on the Menu Bar, and then select "Unlock Maps". Click "Next" and follow the prompts.

If you didn't get this certificate with your City Select disks, then you need to have a word with your person/place of purchase. The maps are worthless without a code.

Yes, I went through the unlock process, using my unlock code and everything said it worked. But, when it is completely finished, a little windown on the GPSr pops up saying "can't unlock maps". I just don't get it. I even emailed Garmin and they said I must have typed the unlock code in incorrectly so they sent it and said to copy/paste it. I tried that and still get the same thing.

I just now went to the website and downloaded the most recent software. I'll try it again.

Oh, and when I go to see what maps are loaded, there is nothing listed, not even what was supposed to come with the unit.

I just got my GPSr on Monday, so it's not old. I bought it from GPS Explorer.com

Any other ideas would be most appreciated :lol:

Yes, I went through the unlock process, using my unlock code and everything said it worked.

There are different ways to go about unlocking the maps and it might help if you described more precisely what you did (e.g. did you use the Unlock Wizard, get the unlock code from Garmin's website, get it from their tech support, etc.). In particular I wonder if the electronic serial number of your 60cs might have been entered incorrectly or corrupted somehow. That would lead to a completed unlock process but the maps wouldn't be properly coded for your particular 60cs which would result in the error message you're seeing.

BTW, the list of maps that I see on my Garmin models is just the list of downloaded maps and doesn't include the basemap that comes with the unit (although the basemap does get mentioned in one of the initial warning screens). So that behavior doesn't seem abnormal.

I followed the instructions included with the CD-ROM package. First I inserted the setup disk, which then asked for Disk 1 of 2, then 2 of 2. I think part of the problem was that I didn't have the GPS unit plugged into the USB port for the first installation. The instructions said not to plug it in until the screen promptm, so I didn't. But, there was no screen prompt, so after it didn't work, I looked through the instructions and it said to plug the unit in prior to unlocking maps. This is probably a lot of the problem.

I have uninstalled the product, then reinstalled it four times now, with the same outcome. :lol:

Thanks again for all of your help! :lol:

When I got my City Select, I also got a GPS18 with inroute solfware. After installing everything on my PC I had the same problem loading it into my Map60c so I called garmin support. It turned out that the code I had for the unlock got coded to the GPS18 and Garmin had to come up with a new code to use in my Map60c. You are allowed to use the City Select in two GPS's but Garmin has to give you the second code. Not sure if this is your problem or not, but Garmin is very good at walking you through it.

Okay, I found out what the problem is, in case anyone else has this problem! :lol:

When the installation asked for the serial number, I put the serial number of the software in, that was shown on the paper with the unlock code. It actually wanted the serial number of the GPSr unit :lol: I added the unit again using the 2nd GSPr unlock, then emailed Garmin and asked if I could get another one since I used both unlocks for the same GPSr.

I hope this helps someone else who does the same thing :lol: because it sure was frustrating :lol: