Air Travel

E Ticket

No, none. Just follow the same procedures as when using a laptop or other electronics on board aircraft. If you are asked to not use the GPSr ask the attendant if they know what the device is and if they are certain that it is not permitted, if they say that it is not allowed, just comply, it will not be the end of the world. :wacko:

Just flew Southwest yesterday and had the GPSr out most of the trip with no question. I haven't specifically asked though, so cannot say "No problem". When they say, "Turn off all electronic devices," I turn it off.

You do need to have a window seat with the GPS held right against the window. Even at that, I am only picking up 4 sattalites, but pinpoint accuracy isn't necessary at 510 MPH.

Yup AA magazine has it listed in the fine print, but everytime I board a flight, I always ask the flight attendent to ask the captain for me, and I have never been told no. Including a recent flight on AA.

I explain it as I'm a map geek and always wondered what we were flying over until I got one of these, now I know what I'm looking down at. :wacko:

It did get kind of boring on a transatlantic flight last year though. :blink:

No, none. Just follow the same procedures as when using a laptop or other electronics on board aircraft. If you are asked to not use the GPSr ask the attendant if they know what the device is and if they are certain that it is not permitted, if they say that it is not allowed, just comply, it will not be the end of the world. :lol:

WOOOO, don't listen to that. A GPSr has satellite connection. Are you allowed to use a satellite connection on a laptop? Didn't think so. The captain has the final say, so ask the flight attendant when you first board.

Here is a list of airlines that allow/deny the use of a GPSr.

Here is another similar topic.

WOOOO, don't listen to that. A GPSr has satellite connection. Are you allowed to use a satellite connection on a laptop? Didn't think so. The captain has the final say, so ask the flight attendant when you first board.

I have to disagree. When I listen to the radio in my Jeep, I'm receiving a signal from the radio station, but I don't have a connection with it. Likewise, my GPSr catches the signal from sats, but they are not connected.

As far as asking permission, I never do. If it is specifically prohibited in the inflight mag, I don't use my toy. Otherwise, I do. I fly very often and have never had a problem using this policy.

Ooops, Britannia's on the forbidden list - used my Quest on a flight to Ibiza last month.

It was a night flight, and I nudged my wife to look out of the window just as we passed over Barcelona. The stewardess asked, how did you know that was Barcelona. so I showed her. She just said "Cool!".

I suspect the only reason some airlines ban the use of GPSr is because of the tracking facility on most units. I've got a perfect track of two quite different flightpaths from my local airport to Ibiza and back, and I suppose it could be considered a security risk in today's terrorist climate.

I've heard that argument before and I still can't quite figure out why a terrorist would want this info.

Perhaps to refrence it in their chatter rooms for use as a red herring?

Honestly, I think any GPS issue with the airlines stems from the perception that the devices may interfere with flight operations. Personally, I have never had any problems; I always play with my thingy when I fly. :lol:

Sometimes the flight attendants even play with it, and once the captain even made a joke about it! :lol::lol:

The terrorist sneaks into the restroom and calls his buddies, 'We're over Knoxville, we should be in Nashville in about 25 minutes.'

They could just check eta on-line and get that.

On approach... 'We're almost landing! Shoot me now!'

Nope, they wouldn't need GPS for that, either. Eyes will do.

Perhaps to refrence it in their chatter rooms for use as a red herring?

Honestly, I think any GPS issue with the airlines stems from the perception that the devices may interfere with flight operations. Personally, I have never had any problems; I always play with my thingy when I fly. :lol:

Sometimes the flight attendants even play with it, and once the captain even made a joke about it! :lol::lol:

FAA AC 91.21 1 recommends to prohibit the use of all portable electronic devices except those explicitly listed in FAR 91.21(:lol:(1) to (4). GPS receivers are not listed there.

That this often isn't enforced is cool. Having asked upfront while boarding is a safe way to avoid all doubts and troubles. After all, the person in the left front seat still makes the final decisions.

Also, the use of portable electronic devices during takeoff and landing is not only because of possible interference with communication and navigation equipment. Takeoff and landing are the most critical moments of the flight, they just have to make sure nobody misses any instructions. It is simply to avoid that people pay as much attention to the flight attendants as they pay attention to the traffic while talking on the phone :lol:

Jan

FAA AC 91.21 1 recommends to prohibit the use of all portable electronic devices except those explicitly listed in FAR 91.21(B )(1) to (4). GPS receivers are not listed there. ...

Two thoughts regarding your comment...

First, this is from the advisory circular that you cited, FAA AC 91.21 1.

The rule permits use of specified portable electronic devices and other devices that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the safe operation of the aircraft in which it is operated.  The recommendations contained herein are one means, but not the only means, of complying with the requirements of FAR Section 91.21, pertaining to the operation of portable electronic devices.
This falls far short of forbidding the use of anything.

Second, the AC also allowed for FAR 91.21(B )(5) which states:

Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
This basically leaves it up to the airline (and the captain) to make the call. No one on this thread has called this authority into question.

edited to kill the auto-smilies.

Edited by sbell111
The terrorist sneaks into the restroom and calls his buddies, 'We're over Knoxville, we should be in Nashville in about 25 minutes.'

They could just check eta on-line and get that.

On approach... 'We're almost landing! Shoot me now!'

Nope, they wouldn't need GPS for that, either. Eyes will do.

That plan is seriously flawed anyway. There is no Airfone in the restroom and even terrorists are not allowed to use a cellphone or any other transmitter. :lol: Back to drawing board.

Jan

Ohhh. I didn't think about taking a waypoint at this location, but I did wonder if I could log an Earthcache from up there:

WingandGeology_267.jpg

It would have been nice to know exactly where I was when I took the picture.

I downloaded the flight Tracklog to Mapsource, but not all of the flight showed up for some reason. :lol:

Had a couple of gaps in my last flightlog as well. the Garmin 60CS had to be held upright near the window to get a lock. On a flight last year when I had the etrex Legend, it was happy sitting on the tray table closest to the window. That was much easier. Both got ok reception considering, but the Legend is designed for horizontal use and 60CS designed for vertical: on longer flights, the Legend gets the nod.

I have been taking GPS units on planes for the last 5 years. The rules are really set by each airline. Southwest lists it as an approved device in their magazine and has never been a problem using it as any other electronic device. Delta does not include it in their magazine, but it is discussed in their flight manual "Red Book" "Rule 6" as a device that can be used "at all times." But can never be used with an external antenna. I never have used my GPS during the take off and landing phase as I am sure it would be a hassle as most crews do not read the manual! but if they do bother me about it I put it away and ask them to refer to the manual. Since I don't argue they usually will look it up when they get a chance.

Although I have flown many other airlines, I do not have enough flights to say what the overall airline policy is. Flight crews are the ultimate decision makers and we have to abide by that. As we educate more crews it will become easier and easier. Many times I have had the stewardess' ask our location.

I take my 60CS and use the belt clip to hook it to the window shade. Much better than my old e-map. It is great to be able to sight cities and know what they are. Your seat mates will ask a lot of questions so be ready. One wanted to know if I could use it to find the baggage claim area! I had to tell him that we couldn't, but he when I told him I could find my car in the parking lot he thought that it might have some real use. LOL

I fly with my GPSr all the time, in my carry-on backpack, and no one at security has ever questioned it. And, I usually turn it on (I always ask for a window seat) at least a few times during each flight, just to see where we are. I have gotten only smiles from the stewardesses and stewards, and from my seatmates, who often have asked me where we were. Of course, usng a GPSr is redundant on a Lufthansa international flight (I traveled Lufthansa to India and back recently), since they automatically display (in English and German) on the overhead video monitors graphically exactly where the plane is and in text display where the plane is heading, along with ETA, miles remaining, time remaining, etc.

I fly thousands of miles a year on many of the familiar airlines, and I have used it on many of the flights. I have never asked to use it, and I have never had a problem.

If someone asks me a question about it, I tell them what it is. Plenty of people have asked about it, but I have never been asked to turn it off.

What's the big deal? I use mine eveytime I fly. It is a receiver, and as such completely passive. The airline objections to some electronic devices is the possibility of their transmissions affecting the avionics. Even cell phones will be allowed fairly soon, I predict. Of course, if the flight crew objects, in this day and age, you don't argue!