Routes And Pocket Queries

Group_W

I have seen previous topics on the topics of routes, but don't believe there have been too many changes in this regard as far as Pocket Queries go. GSAK does allow filtering by arcs (aka a route), but if the route is long, several queries must be run to populate these filters. I travel a great distance every year to visit family, and do some geocaching on the way. Three things would make this effort easier.

1. the ability to 'suspend' a query :wacko: . i.e stop running it, but don't delete it. This way it can be reactivated when required. This may be easily implemented with another column in the 'days to generate' section . Sun to Sat and 'disabled'

2. When creating multiple queries, that are identical :blink::lol::lol: , except for the 'origin', allow a facility to either copy criteria from a previous query, OR when entering a subsequent query, the criteria from the previous query are still 'active' for the second query.

3. Some facility to optionally merge several queries into one zip file, and thus only one e-mail. When running several queries a day, it becomes tedious to load all into GSAK.

1.) I have many queries in my list that I only run when needed, so this already exists.

2.) :wacko:

3.) icon_smile_question.gif The maximum number of PQs you can get in one day is five . . . is opening five PQs tedious? :blink:

Before I went on a recent trip, I created some new queries along the route. I ran five one day, five more the next day. If you are going coast-to-coast, you would need many more than that, but you could start "collecting" the info a couple of weeks before your departure time.

1. the ability to 'suspend' a query :wacko: . i.e stop running it, but don't delete it. This way it can be reactivated when required. This may be easily implemented with another column in the 'days to generate' section . Sun to Sat and 'disabled'

You can already do this. Just un-check all the days.

1. Thank you Hemlock, in describing how to do this :lol: . Idiosyncratic did say this facility already exists, but neglected to say how to do it :blink: (not much help!) .

3. And yes I find reading 5 e-mails, saving 5 attachements, opening 5 attachments and deleting 5 e-mails tedious :wacko:

3. Some facility to optionally merge several queries into one zip file, and thus only one e-mail.  When running several queries a day, it becomes tedious to load all into GSAK. 

--Mark

GSAK already will read your e-mail, grab all the PQs into a folder, and then load them all. It couldn't be easier.

See: File->Get data via e-mail in GSAK

Edited by Marky
3. Some facility to optionally merge several queries into one zip file, and thus only one e-mail.  When running several queries a day, it becomes tedious to load all into GSAK.

In GSAK, under File | Load GPX/LOC file, tick the selection for "Load a folder of files." GSAK will load any GPX, LOC or even ZIP files you have in that folder (depending on what selections you have made in the dialog).

2. When creating multiple queries, that are identical  :lol:  :unsure:  :unsure: , except for the 'origin', allow a facility to either copy criteria from a previous query, OR when entering a subsequent query, the criteria from the previous query are still 'active' for the second query.

Believe it or not, there is a way. This is not documented except for a thread here in the forums many months ago where Jeremy descibed how we could share PQs. To do the following you need a friend who is a premium member to help you; you cannot do it by yourself. Here is how:

1. Create the PQ that you wish to use as template. Preview it, to make sure it works. Paste the URL for this PQ into an e-mail message that you send that to a friend who knows how to create PQs. Anyone can open this PQ to look at it and to save into their own set of PQs. You can also look at it after you have deleted it; but you cannot save it again yourself.

2. Have that person save this PQ into her/his list. This is done by in the same way as always: click on "Sumbit Information" at the end of the query. The resulting PQ page will have a new URL. The friend then pastes the URL into an email message to you and deletes the PQ from her/his list. (The deletion is not necessary, but assures that this "template" never changes).

3. Now you open the URL that was sent to you (you might want to bookmark it) and you can save it as often as you like. It sticks around forever on the server in its deleted state and can be looked at by anyone. The only person that cannot save it is the person who deleted it to start with. That is why you need someone to help you.

GSAK already will read your e-mail, grab all the PQs into a folder, and then load them all. It couldn't be easier.

See: File->Get data via e-mail in GSAK

I tried this but recieve a “<Mail download error. Error message is: Socker Error # 0>”.

Clyde says this is due to one of:

Wrong pop3 address

You are behind a Firewall

You are behind a proxy

I have a router, so I believe this means I am behind a proxy, (is this not when my PC has a different IP address then my router??) anyway I don't know how to fix this.

Edited by Group_W