Yes, It Was Destroyed...

joefrog

Now, first off, I've been to this site and have the pics to prove it. Been there, saw that, had a wonderful time that day. This visit was before I started caching/benchmarking.

This benchmark in question has since been destroyed, utterly and completely. The whole world was watching.

My question is, do I log it retroactively as about the date that I was there? Or is it too late for even that? It was a great visit, and I would love to have that one as a find. It also deserves a fitting memorial.

No, I'm not being callous. I'm being honest, and serious. It was the World Trade Center.

My opinion is that you would have had to have specifically looked for and verified that the light on top of the antenna on the north building was there. If you have pictures of it, so much the better.

If all you did was visit the building some years ago, but weren't specifically looking for the light, then you shouldn't log it. The benchmark was the light, not the building. I believe the general rule is that to log a benchmark, you have to have been looking for the benchmark.

If you were looking for it, you could retroactively log it with the appropriate date of your visit, but I personally might avoid doing that, just because of the sensitivity of the site and event. Other people probably have other opinions.

Edited by holograph
My opinion is that you would have had to have specifically looked for and verified that the light on top of the antenna on the north building was there. If you have pictures of it, so much the better.

I have pics of it, from the top of the other tower. But no, at the time I didn't know it was a benchmark.

I'll differ a bit from the other posts. I would say you wouldn't have to have been looking FOR the item described at the time, but must have been looking AT it in sufficient detail and with sufficiently clear detailed memory or photos that you are sure you saw it and it was consistent with the description.

That said, I don't think I'd log the WTC even if I had memorized the light's position.

I would log a find on the first benchmark I ever looked over, LE0254 in my home town courthouse square, if I could only tie down the date that I saw it, somewhere about 1965 or 1970. It hasn't been logged since 1935. I remember seeing it and puzzling over the stamping (TT what??) and wondering why it was there. But I only vaguely recall that it was when I was in high school, or maybe college. I spent much of an afternoon last fall trying to find it with a metal detector, and asked an assistant County Engineer who hadn't seen it. Sidewalks have been moved, more area is paved, the highway and parking areas asymmetrically widened, and I can't remember where I saw it to any better than 150x50 feet. It is on my most-wanted list, but I don't have much hope.

Joel, that one's history. Accounted for on both Geocaching and NGS.

More fun is to try to convince NGS that the temporary structures at Corona-Flushing Meadows Park are long gone. KU3300. Definitely missing.

Here's a fun one: KU3303.

KU3303 should be easy - not kidding - go to the park, take a photo - no building, no nail - if there is a replacement building, take photo of that, get photo of communications bldg from 1939 fair (all over the place) and work from there

KU3300 will/would be harder -