Bluetooth Gps For Pocket Pc

I currently have a Dell Axim X50 and a Magellan Explorist 100 that I use when I am out caching. I would like to only have to take 1 device with me so I am looking to pick up a Bluetooth GPS unit to use on my Pocket PC while caching. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have searched the usual consumer product review sites and most Bluetooth reviews are geared toward using them for driving.

Thanks,

Steve

I use a Navman Bluetooth receiver (GPS 4420) with my Pocket PC. Works fantastic. I don't use the included SmartStreet software though, I use Mapopolis.

Using Mapopolis, I can import the GPX files, and have all the caches displayed right on the map. Then I just click on one, click "Set Destination", and it takes me there.

The receiver uses both batteries and A/C. I haven't had any problems at all with it.

Edited by donbadabon

Right now you have a GPS and a PDA.

With a bluetooth GPS you will continue to have a GPS and PDA. You won't have any less items.

The only way to fix that is to use a compact flash GPS installed into your PDA or a SD card GPS.

Garmin though has both a Bluetooth GPS (GPS 10 if I'm not mistaken) for both your laptop and PDA. And a CF card GPS for your PDA.

Both come with City Select maps. I'd stay away from Tom Tom. They come up with more problems than any other solution I've ever seen.

With a bluetooth GPS you will continue to have a GPS and PDA.  You won't have any less items.

That is not quite true, Granted there are two devices, but he will not have to switch back and forth between the GPS and the PDA, Just attach the GPS somewhere (Top of Backpack) and switch application on the PDA.

With a bluetooth GPS you will continue to have a GPS and PDA.  You won't have any less items.

That is not quite true, Granted there are two devices, but he will not have to switch back and forth between the GPS and the PDA, Just attach the GPS somewhere (Top of Backpack) and switch application on the PDA.

That would be better than having a cable run from the GPS to the PDA. I'm looking forward to the Bluetooth enabled standard handeld GPS. Something like the 60csb.

I have a Dell Axim x50v and use a Pharos CF card GPS. It works great. I can also use the SD slot for maps, so that is pretty nice. Even when I have multiple GPSrs with me (a common occurance), I use the Dell as a map library with all my topos on it.

Since you suggested you are not geared toward driving, might I suggest Memory-Map Navigator for off road use. I use topos and aerial photos all the time with it. In my state (NY), I can get 1m or .5m resolution DOQQs for free on the internet. I have to convert them and calibrate them, but it is worth it for the level of detail I get.

Unless you have some special concern (ie: you want to use Garmin maps so you are forced to get a GPS10, or you're buying some navman/tomtom/etc. combo) make sure you get a Sirf III-based unit. They blow anything else out of the water as far as reception is concerned (including most, if not all, dedicated handheld units).

Here is a comparison (which mirrors my experience):

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=3