Why Even Have A Jeep Contest?

mcl143

One of our local distributors is still holding jeeps they recieved for distribution back on Jun 9.  :P

I thought I was seeing things when I saw a whole slew of zero mile Jeeps logged into the last local geo-meet.

I moved 20+ WJTBs to another state in less than three days after receiving them... there's no excuse for zero mile Jeeps to JUST be entering circulation two months later.

It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut when this person pulled out a bag FULL of White Jeeps at the recent event. :P

That's pretty bad.

I'd still like to know where the "Maryann" one is being held hostage.

One of our local distributors is still holding jeeps they recieved for distribution back on Jun 9.  <_<

I thought I was seeing things when I saw a whole slew of zero mile Jeeps logged into the last local geo-meet.

I moved 20+ WJTBs to another state in less than three days after receiving them... there's no excuse for zero mile Jeeps to JUST be entering circulation two months later.

It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut when this person pulled out a bag FULL of White Jeeps at the recent event. <_<

That's pretty bad.

I'd still like to know where the "Maryann" one is being held hostage.

YAY ..my turn my turn !!

hmmmmmmmm now i'm not one to chime in and "bash" in a forum .. but it seems i'm being bashed a bit here. I wish you bug nazi's would just get over yourselves ... LOL

I distributed all my jeeps except two original ones i recieved.. the "bag" full of white jeeps I think i had like (4 or 5), the rest of the bag was full of my newest travel bug which was pretty big. You should of spoken up TIM , I could of used a good laugh. Those bugs were swapped with other white jeeps at caches ... just like most people do .. isnt' that what your supposed to do ? LOL

why i'm singled out is beyond me ... , etc. etc. blah blah blah .. whatever

Why i'm explaining myself is beyond me also ... but here ya go ... .. bash me all you want i really dont' care much .. ... I spent alot of money shipping out all those jeeps to the areas that didnt' get to see any. As for driving them to all of massachusetts that didnt' see any ... well that was not an option as i had a bad vehicle and could not do so .. so i used my money to distribute them as fairly as i could. I waited until after WH's meet as I was going to send them to areas that didn't recieve them .... which was ALOT as we only had 36 each , so covering all of MA is a difficult process ... its a hard job to get them to everyone .. we all did our best and it seems only a few people are complaining becasue they apparetnly think they are better then everyone else ... I say whatever . You go to another state ... wow isnt' that great ... RI is 40 minutes away and you handed them off to my friends and others who helped you ... whatever ..great job on distributing them so quickly. I handed mine off also and then they were handed off ... etc. etc. everyone helped everyone out and I appriciate all the help i got to distribute them ... The 0 miles on them ... people are just grabbing them from each other as the contest is about having a jeep and doing the goal and such and so on and so on .. so YES 0 miles happens ... get over it ... and you know something ... 0 miles just makes the resale value go up !! LOL <_<

Is it my fault that the good people that I sent them to did not place them NO ..Is it my fault that the jeeps have 0 miles on them...... NO ........Is it my fault my vehicle died and i had a hard time distributing them on the DAY they arrived NO ... Is it my fault i got lyme disease........NO........ get over it people ..... its a toy and if people are complaining that they didn't get a jeep ... well then to bad , go out and find one ... i went out and swapped them ... i traded for them ... whatever .. I have the "HOPE" jeep as it is my middle name , i traded a yellow one for it , paid for shipping and waited for it .. ...... am i going to keep it ? YES I AM ... you wanna send the travel bug police out for me ........ BRING IT ON .. LOL Its a game people ... have fun with it and play it how you want ...

whooooohoooooo this is pretty amusing ... hey AuntieWeesel are you proud of me yet? LOL

i've whined like everyone else ... do i get a prize ?? oooooooooohhhh maybe even a reputation!! LOL this is just so fun i can't stop ...

ok done now ..

have fun people ..... happy caching and if i have a white jeep with your name on it , email me ... i'll give it to you ..... no problem ...

I distributed all my jeeps except two original ones i recieved.. the "bag" full of white jeeps I think i had like (4 or 5)

Great, you've got 4 or 5 and there are those who haven't gotten 1 yet and yet you still hold 2 that you've had for over 2 months.

why i'm singled out is beyond me

You were not singled out. I never mentioned your name. You chose to come in here to make yourself known.

As for driving them to all of massachusetts that didnt' see any ... well that was not an option as i had a bad vehicle and could not do so

I offered to help you distibute your jeeps and you declined.

Is it my fault that the good people that I sent them to did not place them NO ..Is it my fault that the jeeps have 0 miles on them...... NO ........Is it my fault my vehicle died and i had a hard time distributing them on the DAY they arrived NO ... Is it my fault i got lyme disease........NO

Once again, the offer to assist you was given and you declined.

get over it people ..... its a toy

Its also a gamepiece in a contest and a travel bug that is owned by someone esle. If you need to keep one of these jeeps so bad, I will go to the store, spend the $1.97 and buy you one. Just release the Jeep since it isnt yours to keep.

I have the "HOPE" jeep as it is my middle name , i traded a yellow one for it , paid for shipping and waited for it .. ...... am i going to keep it ? YES I AM

That alone speaks volumes. I wouldnt hold your breath to be called upon to aid in next year's distribution if there is one.

happy caching and if i have a white jeep with your name on it , email me ... i'll give it to you ..... no problem ...

They aren't yours to give OR keep.

Edited by WH

Ummmm...keeping it because it's your name? LAME! I think it would be pretty to cool to find one with my name and log it, but to keep it? It's not as if the name is engraved on it or anything. By keeping any one of them you essentially make the name pointless anyway. (Since they're used to differentiate the jeeps as opposed to numbers. If they're not moving, there's no need to have its own identity.)

Better yet, buy yourself a jeep at Walmart and name it Thief -- er, I mean, HOPE -- yourself.

God, people are pigs! I'm ashamed there are people like this among the community.

Edited to be a little nicer.

Edited by Bear Paughs

With all the hording going on and all the crying in this thread about people keeping them , holding them too long ect.ect.ect. I know I'm going to catch some flack for this but the YJTB and the WJTB I found about 2 weeks ago, look were I sent them,

at least these people won't cry about it,

and if I find another one(LIKE I WILL WITH ALL THE PEOPLE KEEPING THEM) I will send it out of the usa as well.

<_<<_<<_<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCQ0HN

With all the hording going on and all the crying in this thread about people keeping them , holding them too long ect.ect.ect. I know I'm going to catch some flack for this but the YJTB and the WJTB I found about 2 weeks ago, look were I sent them,

and if I find another one(LIKE I WILL WITH ALL THE PEOPLE KEEPING THEM) I will send it out of the usa as well.

<_<  <_<  <_<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCQ0HN

Cool, you've just shown yourself to be a contributor to the problem..... The people here (who would actually qualify to enter the contest) would also be grateful to get a jeep.

Don't you get it? The less of the jeeps that are in circulation the more hoarding and crying about it there is? I've said it before, please keep the white jeeps in the US until the contest is over. After November 1st, move it wherever you want (as long as it is moving and not moved to the top of your computer screen).

Edited by Bear Paughs

:P  :P  :Phttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCQ0HN

Cool, you've just shown yourself to be a contributor to the problem, not to mention a jack..... The people here (who would actually qualify to enter the contest) would also be grateful to get a jeep.

Don't you get it? The less of the jeeps that are in circulation the more hoarding and crying about it there is? I've said it before, please keep the white jeeps in the US until the contest is over. After November 1st, move it wherever you want (as long as it is moving and not moved to the top of your computer screen).

Well at least I'm not hording them,think what you will :P

never have to worry about me. I am a photo geocacher. I don't really care what is in a cache (though I sometime do take and leave). If I ever got my hands on a jeep travel bug it would be in the next cache I did of the day (I always have a digital camera on me). I lvoe geocaching.

. bul·lied, bul·ly·ing, bul·lies

To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner

Finder

n 1: someone who comes upon something after searching 2: someone who is the first to observe something [syn: discoverer, spotter]

hmmmmmm Thief ... I think not ... traded all these bugs with others, never stole any of them.

hoarder

n : a person who accumulates things and hides them away for future use

Call me a hoarder ... so be it ... never hid anything from anyone ...lots of people are logging all bugs everywhere, including the ones I currently hold. accumulating ... i think not ... only have two that i am so called "hoarding" or keeping away for future use. Never said there wasn't any future use for these little buggers. :P

Hey look at this ... a geocoin i'm "hoarding" ... OH wait its MINE ... who needs a new ICON ... COWACF , whooohooo go for it people !! :P enjoy!!

cdce3ca6-315d-4973-b4a5-edea46740b89.jpg:P:P

Its a shame the contest is US only - the contest organisers sell their Jeeps here in the UK too, and as Geocaching is a global game why not make the competion more global?

At the last count there were roughly over 20 jeeps here, presumably sent over to eliminate them from the US competition as well as letting others get the Jeep icon. When people get them they tend to move them on quickly so that others can get the jeep icon. As far as I know no-one has kept a Jeep, yet.

I think the competition organisers should learn from this year's experiences and change the rules to prevent hoarding. How about giving them numbers instead of a name, or automatically eliminating the hoarder from the contest if its held onto for more than a certain amount of time, or placed in 'false' caches. Perhaps providing more proof about it being moved, such as a photo of the Jeep being held next to the GPS device with the location clearly displayed on the screen? Or simply add additional means to make moving it an incentive - the jeeps that have clocked on the most miles travelled [after the photo taking of course] since being placed back in the cache get an additional prize [together with the best photo], basically giving you an additional chance to win?

Perhaps some ideas could be posted here for new rules to prevent hoarding? I hand the floor back to you! :P

Edited by Drum Major

First you say:

I have the "HOPE" jeep as it is my middle name , i traded a yellow one for it , paid for shipping and waited for it .. ...... am i going to keep it ? YES I AM

Then you say:

hmmmmmm Thief ... I think not ... traded all these bugs with others, never stole any of them

:P

Edited by WH

Speedy38,

You state that you are a finder and not a theif. This is partially true. You only became a theif when you decided to keep the Jeeps for yourself. Up until that point you were only a finder. It is considered stealing when you take someone else's (Jeep's) without their permission. Now if you had their permission to keep the WJTB's, that's fine. If not, the word stole and theif apply.

To those that KEEP and/or send the White Jeeps outside the US 48. Thanks for ruining the contest for those than want to participate. Just because you have no interest in the sweepstakes, doesn't give you the right to assume no one else does. Again it all comes down to common consideration for someone besides yourself. But selfish folks would never think of that in the first place.

AtlantaGal,

You are right, selfish people don't care about the game for others. When people say they play the game how they want and we should too, that really gets to me.

If it's truly a game, you play by a standard set of rules. When people start making up their own rules and changing the game, it really ends up killing the original game.

It's amazing how people can care so much about this game that they even post on the message boards, but then they don't play by the rules. Amazing!

It's amazing how people can care so much about this game that they even post on the message boards, but then they don't play by the rules. Amazing!

Its not my fault they are over here! I've never even seen one except in the photos on the main page. And the jeeps that are over here is nothing compared to the numbers over there being hoarded by people. I have seen photos posted by people boasting about the sheer number of jeeps in their collection on this Forum and no one seems to say anything to them, with the exception of this thread.

Why not simply start a thread listing known Jeep hoarders? Name and shame and all that, and others can hint heavily at them to move them on. If that's what it will take to move them on before the deadline, then do it.

People think that since the WJTB's are owned by a company rather than an individual, keeping them for themsleves is ok. Stealing is stealing no matter who you steal from.

Most of us have released at least 1 travel bug and know the frustration of having one go missing or become stolen. Yet, some of these same people don't mind keeping a travel bug that clearly doesn't belong to them.

There is a word for these people.....HYPOCRITES.

Why not simply start a thread listing known Jeep hoarders? Name and shame and all that

*sigh* That's the problem. These people have no shame. Look at speedy38 who wasn't even mentioned by name in this thread, until outing himself or herself. I also think the worst things written his or her own character came directly from their own post.

I'd love to do such a thing, but pressuring someone to do the right thing isn't going to work if they see nothing wrong with what they are doing to begin with.

Edited by Bear Paughs
Why not simply start a thread listing known Jeep hoarders? Name and shame and all that

*sigh* That's the problem. These people have no shame. Look at speedy38 who wasn't even mentioned by name in this thread, until outing himself or herself. I also think the worst things written his or her own character came directly from their own post.

I'd love to do such a thing, but pressuring someone to do the right thing isn't going to work if they are lowlifes with no consciences to begin with. On a side note, I just hope these people don't have any children nor plan to.

While I in no way condone the stealing of Jeeps, pesonal insults like that are uncalled for. I know Speedy personally and I think shes awesome. Shes made a single poor decision but that in no way warrants such a blatant personal attack. :blink:

From the forum posting guidelines:

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.
Edited by WH
People think that since the WJTB's are owned by a company rather than an individual, keeping them for themsleves is ok. Stealing is stealing no matter who you steal from.

Most of us have released at least 1 travel bug and know the frustration of having one go missing or become stolen. Yet, some of these same people don't mind keeping a travel bug that clearly doesn't belong to them.

So... just as a point of reference, since I'm looking at the Official (3 volume) Compendium of Geocaching, Travel Bug Edition and I don't seem to be able to find it... after exactly how much time does holding a travel bug become stealing? It would help if I knew down to the half hour.

Also, in the past, I have taken Jeeps from caches, and I decided to keep them in my cache sack. Should I not do this? It wasn't mine, and I didn't have permission to take it (or did I? Was the permission implied?) this is confusing. I thought TB's were supposed to move, but how can they do that if people don't take them from caches and keep them till they drop them again? I'm afraid to grab any TB's now. I might be accused of stealing.

Can you smell the sarcasm? :blink:

Why not simply start a thread listing known Jeep hoarders? Name and shame and all that, and others can hint heavily at them to move them on. If that's what it will take to move them on before the deadline, then do it.

I think in doing this we would violate the rules of the boards and be viewed as attacking other members. I do not believe that's tolorated here. At least by keeping it general, no specific people are being personally attacked. It's not difficult to find out who the guilty folks are. Each of those individuals knows if he/she is an offending party. The bottom line is those individuals don't care, and nothing we can say is going to make a bit of difference to folks who are self-centered.

Edited by AtlantaGal
I'd love to do such a thing, but pressuring someone to do the right thing isn't going to work if they are lowlifes with no consciences to begin with.

I actually have to a few people in my area. The pleas fall on deaf ears tho. At least one of the people who hoards the jeeps here actually thinks it's his/her right to keep it. Amazing the way some people's views are so askew.

Theres a difference in taking a TB and moving it along and adding it to your personal collection.

So, what is the difference? Does moving it along make the difference? If so, then we're back to the question of how long is someone allowed to keep a bug before it's deemed as being "added to their personal collection"?

I don't know speedy38, is this him?

nixon.leaves.jpg

"I am not a crook."

e1d6eaeb-a84c-41ad-b346-883eb3503f2a.jpg I like this one?? :lol::lol:

Correct.... I said I was going to keep the white jeep "hope" , YES I AM .... Did I say how long I was going to keep it? NO I DIDN'T . so get over it.

As many already knew who distributed the JEEPS in MA .... and the only OTHER distributor chimed in the forum to whine about me ... I felt the need to speak up ..no he didnt' say my name ,, but DUH! I am not going to keep quiet anymore . So i've been out of commission for to long. Time to see who gets so huffy about stuff.... we can clearly see that here. There are lots of people who have kept a jeep or any other bug .... waaaaaaayyy longer then me. I was singled out as I spoke up ... so be it. I really don't care what people say because people who know me ... know what i'm about. If you don't know me personally then you don't know me at all.

You say play by the rules ?? ummmm i think they are called "guidelines" LOL

I love the way people judge others by forum posts ... you gotta love it ...

You want to log white jeep Hope ... go ahead and enter the contest.

JP1W3E HOPE. Don't matter to me .. she is going to hang out and travel some , then we shall see where she ends up next.

There are many more people out there that have many more jeeps then me and have kept them for alot longer then me also.

I also believe you don't even need to find a jeep to enter the contest .. I've entered once a month since the contest started myself ... so go online and enter, no one is stopping you.

so everyone wants to personally blame me for ruining the entire JEEP contest in the entire united states for just holding onto one white jeep .... go ahead , maybe it will give everyone else that gets a bashing some peace for awhile ... LOL

OH NO .. Speedster has a jeep , ,,, She ruined the contest for EVERYONE!!! LOL :blink: gosh people ... get over it.

by the way does anyone work here? ... my goodness everyone has been busy bashing me ... :P are we having fun yet ... lol

ummmm get off your butt and out of the forums and go find a jeep ... because as we all know ... its all about the jeeps... :lol:

Edited by Speedy38

So... just as a point of reference, since I'm looking at the Official (3 volume) Compendium of Geocaching, Travel Bug Edition and I don't seem to be able to find it... after exactly how much time does holding a travel bug become stealing? It would help if I knew down to the half hour.

Also, in the past, I have taken Jeeps from caches, and I decided to keep them in my cache sack. Should I not do this? It wasn't mine, and I didn't have permission to take it (or did I? Was the permission implied?) this is confusing. I thought TB's were supposed to move, but how can they do that if people don't take them from caches and keep them till they drop them again? I'm afraid to grab any TB's now. I might be accused of stealing.

Can you smell the sarcasm? :blink:

Hey clandelaney... its ok continue to play how you want to. You do something wrong according to the forum nazis ... blame it on me.. I'll take the heat! ... :lol::lol::P:lol:

Hey clandelaney... its ok continue to play how you want to.  You do something wrong according to the forum nazis ... blame it on me..    I'll take the heat! ...  :lol:  :lol:  :blink:  :P

Whew. Thanks Speedster. I took the girls out caching today, and despite my fears, I decided to stop hoarding the SAL Red Bell TB #47 and begin hoarding the UTB TB (all hoarding transactions made at the Brattle Bug Retreat). If anyone has a problem, Sara has graciously offered to take the flack. :lol:

As WH has pointed out personal attacks and flames will not be tolerated and if there are anymore this thread will be locked down faster than you can say "huh? What happened?" Let's keep it nice folks. Nobody knows why people grow so fond of these jeeps. No one can answer the question, so why keep asking it? I do know that half the cachers out there have no idea what to do with travel bugs once they pick them up. Some probably don't even know what the jeeps are for. If you wnat to log one, get out of the forums and search your area caches. But play nice. Don't make me come down here again!

While I in no way condone the stealing of Jeeps, pesonal insults like that are uncalled for. I know Speedy personally and I think shes awesome. Shes made a single poor decision but that in no way warrants such a blatant personal attack. :D

You're right, I edited my post.

Speedy38, my apologies to you. I don't know you personally, the only thing I know of you are the actions you described in your post, which I do not approve of. And while I do think some of those actions are unfair and totally not in the spirit of the game, I should not have said what I did and I take full responsibility for them. I do sincerely apologize.

Hey clandelaney... its ok continue to play how you want to.  You do something wrong according to the forum nazis ... blame it on me..    I'll take the heat! ...  :o  ;)  :)  :D

Whew. Thanks Speedster. I took the girls out caching today, and despite my fears, I decided to stop hoarding the SAL Red Bell TB #47 and begin hoarding the UTB TB (all hoarding transactions made at the Brattle Bug Retreat). If anyone has a problem, Sara has graciously offered to take the flack. :P

you go Pat ..!! I'm ready for the flack !!!

There are many more people out there that have many more jeeps then me and have kept them for alot longer then me also.

My mom always told me two wrongs don't make a right.

So everyone wants to personally blame me for ruining the entire JEEP contest in the entire united states for just holding onto one white jeep .... go ahead , maybe it will give everyone else that gets a bashing some peace for awhile ... LOL

I can't speak for anyone else, but *I* wasn't "personally blaming you" or any one single person for that matter. You're so busy getting caught up in your own dramatic defense that you cannot even see the point.

So please, allow me to illustrate it for you (and ALL the others like you):

There are 4000 or so jeeps. You keep one. Now multiply you by 2000 and you might begin to see the picture. It's not about keeping one jeep. It's about a lot of people just keeping one or two (or just sending 1 or 2 to europe). It adds up. The end result is a very limited supply of findable jeeps for the other 20K plus cachers.

This doesn't even take into account that travel bugs which are not bought and paid for by you are not yours to keep in the first place.

Try looking at the bigger picture for a change.