Why Even Have A Jeep Contest?

mcl143

Fledermaus,

I think you are taking offense to what is posted, because you feel guilty and know you are doing something against the rules. I am glad you realize this, however it is sad that you can't listen to your own thoughts.

Here's the facts, the WJTB's are TRAVEL BUGS, they are supposed to travel. You do not own the Jeep. It is not yours to loan out. Unless Jeep specifically appointed you to hold this bug and loan it out, then it isn't your place to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I empathize with you regarding the situation of people hoarding/stealing/whatever the Jeeps. However, since you were lucky enough to find a Jeep, why not do what you need to do with it, then send it on its way?

If you release it and it disappears, then you at least know that you did what was right and gave somebody else a chance. It is on their head that they stole it or whatever. However, if you do what you are doing, you are really just as bad as the people who are keeping them. No one really has a chance to find the one you have.

Another question, are you going to release your WJTB after the contest? If I had to guess, I would guess probably not. You will probably keep "loaning" it out.

I would close by saying if you are feeling that you need to be defensive, then there is a good reason behind that. Think about that and do what is right.

Grammar police alert :D

Grammer Police? That's the best I've read in this forum yet!

For the rest of you chronic complainers out there:

The way things are going, I'm expecting one of you to send the HSA(Homeland Security Agency - i.e. Gestapo?) or the JBI(Jeep Bureau of Investigation) to my home, knock down or breaking in my door any moment, with charges of aiding, abetting and harboring an endangered species!

I'm going to church Sunday and confess my sins!

Take off your blinders and turn your microscope around and look through it from the other way, you might see a lot more than you expected. I just hate it when I am judged by those that are hollier than thou. Got white collar and prayer beads?

A WJTB does not a geocache make, but it doth make fools of some cachers!

Another question, are you going to release your WJTB after the contest?  If I had to guess, I would guess probably not.  You will probably keep "loaning" it out.

Just to show how much you and the others think you know, you are seriously in error. Why? Because I already have my very own personal $1.97 Wally World Jeep and one is enough!

To be more specific, when the contest is done and over with, it will become geocaching fodder just like all the other TBs out there, thus giving some uncaring cacher the opportunity to hoard it away in there own personal collection, because they're too dadgum(oh gee, that word was edited by the system. Maybe I should have used darn instead) cheap to go out and buy their own.

Does that answer you question and satisfy the rest of you? Probably not! I grow weary of you insulant banter.

Edited by Fledermaus

A WJTB does not a geocache make, but it doth make fools of some cachers!

I agree :D

Rather than fiddle around with a microscope though, or confess sins, or suggest that there is some wierd link between agencies for state control and geocaching....

You have a Jeep TB.

You will not place the Jeep TB into a cache.

The owner wants you to treat the TB as a TB.

You have created hypothetical and odd justifications to feel better about this.

Okay -- do what you want.

I've seen the argument before. We mustn't let the thieves get the White Jeep!!! Protect the White Jeep! I know best! I am the "LORD OF THE WHITE JEEP!!"

Let me know when you get hats and shirts printed.

As for the Jeep ..... we all know what *should* happen, and we all know what *does* happen. For me, I just move Travel Bugs along. You seem to have a better way of "respecting" the goals of Travel Bugs.

Sigh.... I suppose that if there is enough noise about this, companies like Jeep will just forget about the idea.....

"LORD OF THE WHITE JEEP!!"

Let me know when you get hats and shirts printed.

As for the Jeep ..... we all know what *should* happen, and we all know what *does* happen.  For me, I just move Travel Bugs along.  You seem to have a better way of "respecting" the goals of Travel Bugs.

That's a GREAT idea!

On the front of the shirt it will say: "I'm the Lord of WJTBs"

and on the back it will say: "It's Mine, Not Yours!" or "Proud Owner of One!"

I should be able to sell at least one to each of the WJTB hoarders out there, right?

The only problem that remains is: How much to charge and who will print them?

I'll go to my local Chamber of Commerce right away and get a business license for my new business: "JTBs R Me".

I'll be glad to sub-contract the WJTB/YJTB Buttons concessions to anyone interested?

And now, over the PA system I'm hearing: "Reality Check on Isle 5"

I should be able to sell at least one to each of the WJTB hoarders out there, right?

I think that if your market is folks that keep a $2 toy rather than move it from cache to cache (as both the game and the jeep owner aspire to).... you may find it a dry market indeed. Save your money.

At the least, you'll have to change the shirt to "Proud Jeep Thief" or maybe "Long-term Jeep TB Borrower" :D

I know that I sleep better at night knowing that folks such as yourself are protecting Travel Bugs from caches! (do you take logbooks from caches you think might get muggled?) :rolleyes:

If you're so dead set on sharing it with people why not just copy down the number, email that to them and release the real bug? I think the most logical solution here is for a local to "borrow" the Jeep to use for the contest and just never give it back. :D

:blink: Way ahead of you on that! The number has been shared, with favorable results too!

:rolleyes: As for the "borrow" comment, are you suggesting that one geocacher betray the trust of another?

:blink: And all this time, being in this hobby for nearly five years now, I was led to believe that all geocachers were trustworthy!

As a matter of fact, this TB is REALLY close to my house and would look kind of nice perched upon my desk.  :D

:rolleyes: WOW! That's what I thought, when it was on top of my desk too! Gee, one of those TBs is REALLY REALLY close to my house also! I better go get it and hide it in my TB collection box that's UNDER my desk or else put it on top of my monitor to keep the other one(s) company!

Edited by Fledermaus

Here's an idea. How about getting volunteers to identify long-stalled jeeps that have obviously been put in someone's collection and get the travel bug number for them, (from Jeep perhaps or some local coordinator). We could then buy the Wal-mart version of the Jeep and put another tag on it with the TB number (handwritten if necessary) and re-release it with the same number. Travel bugs come with copies and I've used them to restart dead bugs before.

It would sort of be like that "Born Free" movie.

Yes, Fledermaus, We've heard of your antics on the east coast.  They do not seems to be well received amongst your fellow Washingtonians. 

I will admit to holding a WJTB a few weeks to get what I think is an appropriate contest entry.  Then the Jeep move onward.  One I sent to my brother in Seattle.  It seems to be in a cache called Mount Wilson. 

Jeeps are meant to move!

:D What you know about where I live and others in my area could be placed into a "pico-cache"!

:blink: High high is your "High-Horse" and is it on a carousel?

:rolleyes: OOOPPPSSS! I used an old fashion inference and you are probably too young to understand it!

Curious as to what this sort of personal attack is supposed to accomplish here? What does my age have to do with anything? (Even if you were correct with your supposition?)

You asked a question. I answered it. Your reply is a completely nonsensical, and erroneous, insult to younger geocachers.

Don't ask a question if you do not want to hear an honest evaluation.

Now, now children! Don't you think it's time to grow up and stop playing little games? Your perception of a personal attack is understandable, but that was not the case. Younger minds are usually quick to judge and seldom deliberate before digging a hole and jump into it.

FYI: I have two local requests to use the WJTB "Stem" and they do plan to use it as it was intended, to enter the contest and etc. However, it is unfortunate for some of you that it will be returning whenever they are finished with it.

Are you going to now harrass them as well and suggest a plan of action to them?

Racking up all those false miles is another form of cheating and/or breaking of the rules, don't you think? Most of you, who are participating in this madness are adding to the perceived problem, not helping to correct it, if it needs to be corrected at all.

Cooler heads need to prevail. So, once again I say: Reality Check on Isle 5!

No more words will be forthcoming from me, but rest assured there will be more inane remarks from the rest of you, as you continue your game plan. Some of the locals around here might have a few things to say on the subject as well. Jumpon them as you have me,and have to fun,if that's what you call it.

In summation:

You have been subjected to the Biggest Rouse that I have ever planned and you've been suckered into it big time!!!

30, NNNN, TTYL, TA TA, BYE BYE, Hasta Luego, Chow!

Edited by Fledermaus

Fledermaus sent me the followin PM which I thought Id share with the masses:

Now that prooves that there is only one WH(thank goodness) on the forums. I know or hope you were kidding, since you already had you hot and sweaty hands on the two TBs.

However and on the serious side, I am concerned as to whether they are going to be traveling in circles for awhile in your area. I hope that they get a ride across the ocean soon. If there's anything you can do about that, short of making them fall into a black hole, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, what was the reasoning for displaying my list of TBs? I assume you were just having fun at my expense?

I think I'll back off on the TB banter & chatter, now that things are approching the boiling point. "A watched pot never boils" is what I've heard.

The facts are, that I really have helped a few WJTB contestants in my area to enter the contest. The last time it was "loaned out" physically(not the numbers), at least three other cachers were able to use it. I have not entered the contest and have no intentions of doing so.

There are too many opinions(like AHs) out there saying what is right and what is wrong, that I have difficulty comparing their statements and coming up with a logical solution that makes everybody happy.

Isn't there a saying like "you can't please everybody" etc? So, I guess the TB in question will have to go by way of the dinosaurs and become extinct through WJTB hoarding, when I release it after the contest has run it's course.

Now, now children! Don't you think it's time to grow up and stop playing little games? Your perception of a personal attack is understandable, but that was not the case. Younger minds are usually quick to judge and seldom deliberate before digging a hole and jump into it.

Continued personal attacks are supposed to smooth everything over?!?

You asked a question. I answered it. You did not like it, nor the consensus here. Somehow, this makes me 'quick to judge'? It's a curious world that you live in.

As previously mentioned, I should suggest that you stop asking questions if you aren't interested in hearing the answers proferred. Self-fulfilling fantasies might be fun, but they answer nothing.

Aren't you allowed to keep the Jeeps after the contest? :blink: No.... you keep them DURING the contest! :rolleyes: Can you keep them DURING the contest as long as you plan to release them AFTER the contest? :D Take a photo -- then you can have your Jeep and release it! :blink:

Good lord.... maybe we should just treat them like Travel Bugs and move them from cache to cache..... um... aren't they Travel Bugs? :P

Okay... here's MY new Travel Bug.

Guardian of the Jeeps!

At the top, you'll see a link about "How Travel Bugs Work" -- just in case you get stuck on the concept. :D

;) boy am I steamed. I brought a white JEEP home from a cache in Livingston Texas to California. I opened a new cache in our area and gave a heads up to my local geocache friends to watch for approval of new cache with white jeep. cache called "the white box". It isn't even approved yet as I submitted it today. tonight I have 2 e-mails that someone found it from the cache, and another took it somehow from him. ??? How does that happen? Am I missing something. I even put the cache for members only. How did they see it before approval????? I'm dissappointed that our local friends didn't get a chance to dash for the cache. I was so excited to find the JEEp in Texas while on vacation. Boy there must be some idiots out there if all they are doing is hording jeeps. how childish. Oh well, I'll just go back to my regular caching. I do love it. It keeps me healthy.

How odd. Fleder...uhh.. Bat-dude sees nothing wrong with holding onto a WJTB yet get all upset when someone holds onto HIS bug for any amount of time...

In the future, if you plan on holding onto this TB more than a week or two, please leave it where it is or pass it onto someone who is able to place it into a cache, thus allowing it to go in the right direction towards it's destination.

UPDATE 13 AUGUST 2003: I would like to thank the THIEF who has taken my TB or the Geomuggler/Geocacher who has it and won't release it properly. Perhaps I will send this TB to the Graveyard. It was less that 50 miles from it's destination before it disappeared. Why would somebody want to keep a personally engraved marble egg anyway? Some idiot probably put it into a dumpster and it ended up in a garbage dump!

;):huh:

;) boy am I steamed. I brought a white JEEP home from a cache in Livingston Texas to California. I opened a new cache in our area and gave a heads up to my local geocache friends to watch for approval of new cache with white jeep. cache called "the white box".  It isn't even approved yet as I submitted it today. tonight I have 2 e-mails that someone found it from the cache, and another took it somehow from him. ??? How does that happen? Am I missing something. I even put the cache for members only. How did they see it before approval????? I'm dissappointed that our local friends didn't get a chance to dash for the cache. I was so excited to find the JEEp in Texas while on vacation. Boy there must be some idiots out there if all they are doing is hording jeeps. how childish. Oh well, I'll just go back to my regular caching. I do love it. It keeps me healthy.

It sounds like your approver may be giving other cachers a heads up on the cache before it even came out. Does not sound like an ethical way for an approver to behave (abuse of "power").

Or, did you let any other local cachers in on where you were hiding your cache?

It is this kind of behavior that cachers need to stop. Play the game by the rules, like everyone else, or don't play at all. Don't spoil it for the rest of us by cheating.

;) boy am I steamed. I brought a white JEEP home from a cache in Livingston Texas to California. I opened a new cache in our area and gave a heads up to my local geocache friends to watch for approval of new cache with white jeep. cache called "the white box". It isn't even approved yet as I submitted it today. tonight I have 2 e-mails that someone found it from the cache, and another took it somehow from him. ??? How does that happen? Am I missing something. I even put the cache for members only. How did they see it before approval????? I'm dissappointed that our local friends didn't get a chance to dash for the cache. I was so excited to find the JEEp in Texas while on vacation. Boy there must be some idiots out there if all they are doing is hording jeeps. how childish. Oh well, I'll just go back to my regular caching. I do love it. It keeps me healthy.

You put the tracking number JPXXXX in your log when you submitted your photo for the contest. Anyone who reads your log can 'grab' it and log it. In all likelihood the jeep is probably still in your new cache. The people who posted it are just inflating their jeep numbers for whatever lame reason they have to do so, without actually having the jeep in their possession.

:huh: boy am I steamed. I brought a white JEEP home from a cache in Livingston Texas to California. I opened a new cache in our area and gave a heads up to my local geocache friends to watch for approval of new cache with white jeep. cache called "the white box".  It isn't even approved yet as I submitted it today. tonight I have 2 e-mails that someone found it from the cache, and another took it somehow from him. ??? How does that happen? Am I missing something. I even put the cache for members only. How did they see it before approval????? I'm dissappointed that our local friends didn't get a chance to dash for the cache. I was so excited to find the JEEp in Texas while on vacation. Boy there must be some idiots out there if all they are doing is hording jeeps. how childish. Oh well, I'll just go back to my regular caching. I do love it. It keeps me healthy.

It sounds like your approver may be giving other cachers a heads up on the cache before it even came out. Does not sound like an ethical way for an approver to behave (abuse of "power").

Or, did you let any other local cachers in on where you were hiding your cache?

It is this kind of behavior that cachers need to stop. Play the game by the rules, like everyone else, or don't play at all. Don't spoil it for the rest of us by cheating.

You can apologize whenever you're ready. ;)

Fledermaus sent me the followin PM which I thought Id share with the masses:

I know or hope you were kidding, since you already had you hot and sweaty hands on the two TBs.

I've shaken hands with WH, and I'd just like to say that I found them to be neither overly warm, or excessively moist.

;)

I finally found my first Jeep this week and I was very excited. Was a little disappointed that it was a Yellow one, but I logged it and placed it the same day. The bug (#272) had only traveled 10 miles since it was placed in December of last year. Why jeep made such a cool item that is supposed to be spread around for a contest is beyond me. I know what they were thinking, but they should have just used a tag and it would be a lot more succesful. Oh well, I have my eye on another one for this weekend and I will play by the rules and get it out there. I will appologize for all the idiots out there. They're ignorant, what else can be said?

You can apologize whenever you're ready. :lol:

Sorry.

How dare I speak bad about an approver *slaps self* They are all good people, right? With all the FUD flying its easy not to think so.

In this case I doubt it was the fault of an approver, but lets not put that too far from reality. An approver is a person and can act inapproriately, this is not beyond the realm of possibility. Although we hope that the approvers appointed by geocaching.com are all ethical and play the game fair.

Obviously, Keystone, this cache wouldn't even be in your queue so I'm not speaking badly on you or any of our local approvers. I haven't ever had problems in PA, so I guess my next few caches will sit at the bottom of the queue for a few extra days. *slaps self again*

Admittedly this is right off the top of my head, and I haven't really thought it through, but here's a possible solution to hoarding:

After a jeep is found, and the finder enters the contest, their entry is NOT valid until the same jeep is found again and the contest entered by the next person. Some reasonable time frame should also be applied, say maybe 30 days tops. So if you find one, enter, and hang on to it for 31 days, your entry is void, though the person who found it before you is OK, since it was found again.

Thoughts, anyone?

There wasn't any WJTB's in our area either. But instead of taking drastic measure as seen on this thread, we decided to take the chance and travel to find one. Once we find one, we actually bring it into our area and start a new, premium members only cache and place the WJTB. By doing this, we have brought 8 WJTB's into our area and help our fellow local cachers have a shot at getting one, and also have brought a few new premium members to GC.com.

Admittedly this is right off the top of my head, and I haven't really thought it through, but here's a possible solution to hoarding:

After a jeep is found, and the finder enters the contest, their entry is NOT valid until the same jeep is found again and the contest entered by the next person. Some reasonable time frame should also be applied, say maybe 30 days tops. So if you find one, enter, and hang on to it for 31 days, your entry is void, though the person who found it before you is OK, since it was found again.

Thoughts, anyone?

I thought of something similar, but here's the problem with it: if I find a WJTB, submit a photo, move it to a new cache, and it's then stolen by someone who doesn't log it, my picture would be disqualified. Or I could log it in a cache but not leave it. Then I get the Jeep , but the previous finder get his or her picture disqualified. :D

I think that if the Jeeps don't move, an easier solution would be for the Jeep company to forget about even having this type of contest.

Then those that hoard the Jeeps will have a "real" collectors item -- proof that they ruined it for everyone for all the wrong reasons.

I can't even enter the contest and am still moving all Jeeps I find. I have nice PHOTOGRAPHIC memories of my Jeeps.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Just out of curiosity, I just checked all the caches for the state of Wisconsin-

I remember hearing that there was approximately 80 WJTB given out for distribution in WI

out of those 80 Jeeps, There are 15 showing in cache pages.

out of those 15:

3 are in event pages, so they are unavailable, leaving 12 in actual caches.

Of those 12 caches, 8 have logs saying that the Jeep is missing, leaving 4.

Of those 4, one is in an archived cache, leaving a whopping 3 out of 80 that MIGHT be still in the caches- that is unless they have been stolen already and nobody has mentioned it in their logs.

I wonder what other areas are like?

Ok Ok...so whats so bad about putting a white jeep on your computer and leaving it there for a couple of months? I have one on mine and I think I'm gonna leave it there for a couple of months or more...................

5c9cf548-1537-4e0c-8e30-9fc2fc008a71.jpg

you too can get one for $1.97 at WalMart

and remember the age 3 and up listing is there for a reason- some of those hoarders are acting like two year olds.

One of our local distributors is still holding jeeps they recieved for distribution back on Jun 9. ;)

I thought I was seeing things when I saw a whole slew of zero mile Jeeps logged into the last local geo-meet.

I moved 20+ WJTBs to another state in less than three days after receiving them... there's no excuse for zero mile Jeeps to JUST be entering circulation two months later.

One of our local distributors is still holding jeeps they recieved for distribution back on Jun 9.  :P

I thought I was seeing things when I saw a whole slew of zero mile Jeeps logged into the last local geo-meet.

I moved 20+ WJTBs to another state in less than three days after receiving them... there's no excuse for zero mile Jeeps to JUST be entering circulation two months later.

It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut when this person pulled out a bag FULL of White Jeeps at the recent event. :P