Is There A Way?

Shadow's

email makes "instant" notify something of a craps shoot. Variables are: How many emails aer in the outgoing que at Groundspeak? Where, and how loaded down are the internet email servers? How prompt is your isp’s email server? I've received emails a few seconds after triggering them on a remote server, and I've received them days later, too.

Since you have to do something yourself (check your email) to get the notification, you might as well do something you know is going to be fast. To check on newly approved caches in your state, do a search on the state. To be in the FTF race, make a PQ for all unfound caches within a given radius of your base. Don't schedule it, just run it manually every x minutes (depending on where you are).

...To check on newly approved caches in your state, do a search on the state. To be in the FTF race, make a PQ for all unfound caches within a given radius of your base. Don't schedule it, just run it manually every x minutes (depending on where you are).

Hmmmmm - Now I begin to understand at least part of the PQ problem.

To be in the FTF race, make a PQ for all unfound caches within a given radius of your base. Don't schedule it, just run it manually every x minutes (depending on where you are).

Yikes! It is small wonder why the PQ server gets a little busy at times.

Let us assume one has the afternoon to blow on getting a "coveted" FTF. Would it not be better to set up a PQ, then preview it at regular intervals? This is much quicker, plus you would not have to fret that your massive number of PQ requests did not get put wayyyyyy down in the que? If one is sitting around staring at computer awaiting a "congratulations, geocacher, you GOT MAIL!" announcement, one might as well stay active and preview at the same set interval as one would set for an email notification.

Even better, find likely and very inviting cache hiding spots in your area. Know the patterns (days and times) that local cachers are likely to place a new cache. Stalk the likely spot until an unwary cacher places a new cach, then bum rush and log it even BEFORE they get a chance to get it approved! :rolleyes:

I would like to know how by the time I get the weekly notice (last night I checked mail and this morning I got the notice) there were several that had already found about 5 caches over 4 to 5 days ago.

How does this happen?

Oh, what is a pq? :wacko: lol

Rick

Edited by Shadow's
To be in the FTF race, make a PQ for all unfound caches within a given radius of your base. Don't schedule it, just run it manually every x minutes (depending on where you are).

Would it not be better to set up a PQ, then preview it at regular intervals?

I think that's what he means by "run it manually"

What I wonder is if this preview or manual run loads the PQ server almost as much as asking that it be mailed. Seems like it would have to do most of the work to do the preview.

I would like to know how by the time I get the weekly notice (last night I checked mail and this morning I got the notice) there were several that had already found about 5 caches over 4 to 5 days ago.

How does this happen?

Oh, what is a pq? :wacko: lol

Rick

In my area the first find on a new cache is typically within 3-4 hours after it first appears.

PQ (Pocket Queries) are available to paying members. They let you define a set of preferences and have a .gpx file emailed to you that has all the caches matching your preferences. For example, all of the regular caches larger than micros, within 10 miles of your house. I've never understood what they have to do with pockets

Edited by Thot
What I wonder is if this preview or manual run loads the PQ server almost as much as asking that it be mailed.  Seems like it would have to do most of the work to do the preview.

The preview function doesn't use the "PQ server" at all. It just feeds the PQ specs to the regular cache search page. A PQ concatenates the cache listings with logs into a file and emails them out.

yes, but the real question asked above was -

How does a cache get logged (FIVE times yet!) before it is even published by the approver?

cc\

1) A bug, as pointed out by Cornix. :lol:

2) The owner gave the URL to the non-approved cache to a friend to give it a "dress rehearsal" before going to stage for the audience. :lol:

3) Cache stalkers wait for new cache placements and knock out a physical log prior to the cache being approved. :lol:

4) Conspiracy! :lol: Take your pick. A. Premium members get notification prior to non-premium members. (Sort of like Disney hotel patrons get into the parks an hour early, just because they are forking over more money to Disney) B. Members who bought the reviewer at least three rounds of brew at the last event get tipped earlier about new caches by the reviewers. C. FTF hounds hack the GC website, know the cache is placed, find it and log it before the official approval.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

I have been using the new Instant Notification that premium member can use. So far I have baged a few FTF this week. But you have to check your e-mail several times durring the day. This service is still a beta program so I am sure it will be getting tweaked.

Depending on were you are getting a FTF can be very hard even with the new service. Were I am there is a large number of FTF hounds, One cache had 5 finds in two hours, I was FTF. Being retired and being willing to leave 24/7 rain or shine can be a big help.

It also depends on the cache, a cache that requires a shor walk or hike is going to be for PDQ, A cache that id more remote can go days or even longer.

I use this method:

Go to the profile of a local cacher and click on the "User Stats" tab.

Click on "(All Cache Hides)"

You now have a list of all the caches owned by that person/group and hopefully there is 1 (or more) that is blank under the Last Found column.

Click on the name of that cache and ZOOM!!! there is the cache page.

I use this method:

Go to the profile of a local cacher and click on the "User Stats" tab.

Click on "(All Cache Hides)"

You now have a list of all the caches owned by that person/group and hopefully there is 1 (or more) that is blank under the Last Found column.

Click on the name of that cache and ZOOM!!! there is the cache page.

thast is just much work to cover all the cachers in an area. Sure in an area with few cachers that might be OK, but in an area with maybe 100 people hidding caches it would just take to much time to check every profile.

Just become a premium member, it is not the expensive and use the automatic new cache notify tool in member features.