Pocket Query

JWK3RN

I am new to geocaching and was at an event recently and someone showed me his PDA and was telling me about pocket queries and made it sound really easy. I am having trouble getting started. I have an iPAQ pocket pc with pocket pc 2003. Can someone please help me get started. What do I need do download to my pc and my pocket pc etc.

Thank you in advance,

James

To get a pocket query go to www.geocaching.com/pocket/

You can set up a query to return the caches you want to download. Don't select a date at first. After you select the caches you want and hit the save button you can preview the query. If it returns what you expect it to and it is what you wanted select a day to run the queries.

For your Pocket PC you will need GPX Sonar. It is available at http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx

This should get you started.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am now a premium member, i loaded gpxsonar to my pda, now how do i get the files to my pda and gps.

Here is what I do.

I have GSAK loaded on my PC. I download the GPX file from pocket queries into GSAK. In GSAK I have filters set up for the type of caches I want to look for so I apply the filter I want to use. There is an option in GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPS so that is what I do next.

On my Pocket PC, I have previously loaded GPXViewer. I take the same GPX file from above and copy it to my PPC. You can just drop it in the PocketPC Files directory and it will be auto-synced.

That's about it. Now I have waypoints in the GPS and the appropriate data sheets on them on my PPC.

Ah yes, reading does work.

Thank you for getting back to me so quick and reminding me that sometimes, it pays to read the text.

Yes good idea as I am sure there have been a bunch of abandoned queries left which probably really slow things up. Just got so used to them showing up all the time and down loading the file.

:laughing::sad::laughing:

So many toys, so little time!

IMO, the best application for your PC has to be GSAK. I've just scratched the surface of its capability and it's amazing.

I have a number of pocket queries that between them deliver a few thousand caches over the area we frequently travel and play in. Using GSAK, I can combine all those PQs into a single database, then filter for various subsets to keep the number under my GPS's max of 500 waypoints. Then I export new GPX files for these various bunches. Finally, I save the GPX file to my Ipaq, and upload it to the GPSr. Result is that I have exactly the same set of waypoints on the GPSr and in a GPX file on the Ipaq, where I use GPXSonar.

The last piece that I use on the Ipaq, is a program called G7toCE, which lets me upload and download from the GPSr. If we find ourselves needing to change GPX files (which I ordinarily make for a certain geographic area) then I just clear the GPSr memory and upload another file from the Ipaq.

If you're not already using an SD card in your Ipaq, you should do so. Store as much stuff as possible on the SD card instead of using internal memory. It will speed up the Ipaq a lot.

Well I've been having a problem with queries not continuing to generate after being scheduled . I will have it scheduled for a certain day of the week but after it generates it's not scheduled again unless I go back a check it off again . Before I'd check it off and it would run automaticly everyday or week it was checked . Any one have an idea why this is happening?

Well I've been having a problem with queries not continuing to generate after being scheduled . I will have it scheduled for a certain day of the week but after it generates it's not scheduled again unless I go back a check it off again .  Before I'd check it off and it would run automaticly everyday or week it was checked . Any one have an idea why this is happening?

One discussion

Well I've been having a problem with queries not continuing to generate after being scheduled . I will have it scheduled for a certain day of the week but after it generates it's not scheduled again unless I go back a check it off again . Before I'd check it off and it would run automaticly everyday or week it was checked . Any one have an idea why this is happening?

If you will look 6 post above yours you will see that I answered that question. Just call me the psychic cacher. I answer before you ask! ;)

I am having problems all of a sudden with my Pocket Query's. When I preview the query it will be what I want but when it is sent to my email the file is much smaller and missing caches. We are talking about small local querys. For example one query that contained 35 caches on the preview came back with 3 caches on my email. A larger query of 150 caches was 35 by the time I received it. Anyone know what's up with this. I've never had an issue before. :huh: