Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

I have retrieved a wooden geocoin that says "CZECH WOOD GEOCOIN" and has the geocaching.com logo on one side. On the other side is a word and 2009 and geocaching.CZ. No tracking number that I can see. Does anyone know about these?

I've found a few of those near where I live and am trying to get my own one made. They are sig items and aren't trackable.

They'd have the cachers name at the top and an image in the center on one side, and then the GC logo and website on the other.

They are often left by someone that's visited the cache or as a trade item.

Here is another thread about them

Edited by CW88

I have a colored signature wooden nickel. I can do some trading.

Too funny Ladycacher. My coin was specially made from the maker of your coin who is a very good friend of ours !!!

If anyone wants to check out the maker. go to this website

http://www.geocities.com/geonickels/nickels.html

smokey

I tried at access the web site you suggested and it appears that geocities has closed,

I kept seeing these notices show up in my inbox and thought... wow, someone has brought the thread back!

I still have a few of my wooden nickles. I keep them for the best caches I find or for trades. I needed something a little more cost-worthy for my signature items, so I invested about 65 bucks in golf pencils (three lines; pencils have erasers). The best part is I keep them in my pocket, sign a log and leave the sig item!

If people are interested in swapping signature items, I'd be more than willing to trade the pencils for nickles or whatever else. :)

And speaking about how many sig items/nickels etc. I'm not sure. I know I have a large ammo can full of sig items and plan on photographing them, my pathtags and my geocoins and putting them into a coffee table book for myself. :)

got yours in the mail today! thanks great looking nickle and pencil.

I kept seeing these notices show up in my inbox and thought... wow, someone has brought the thread back!

I still have a few of my wooden nickles. I keep them for the best caches I find or for trades. I needed something a little more cost-worthy for my signature items, so I invested about 65 bucks in golf pencils (three lines; pencils have erasers). The best part is I keep them in my pocket, sign a log and leave the sig item!

If people are interested in swapping signature items, I'd be more than willing to trade the pencils for nickles or whatever else. :)

And speaking about how many sig items/nickels etc. I'm not sure. I know I have a large ammo can full of sig items and plan on photographing them, my pathtags and my geocoins and putting them into a coffee table book for myself. :)

got yours in the mail today! thanks great looking nickle and pencil.

Yeah -- it got returned to me the other day and I had to add postage. I believe the other I sent that same day went through, though who knows if it will come back or not!

I do have a handful of handmade wooden nickles (pawprint center, caching name around the edge, date, and number of the coin) done in black wood paint on a rounded edge wooden nickle.

I also have some great new NON TRACKABLE swag Good Dog Blessing coins that are small round silver coins with a bone cut out that can be attached to your dog's collar. Has "one's best friend" on the back and "Good Dog Blessing Ring" on the front.

Would love to trade for some wooden nickles. I've found some great old ones at a local thrift store that aren't geocaching related but are really neat I've nabbed.

I have a colored signature wooden nickel. I can do some trading.

Too funny Ladycacher. My coin was specially made from the maker of your coin who is a very good friend of ours !!!

If anyone wants to check out the maker. go to this website

http://www.geocities.com/geonickels/nickels.html

smokey

I tried at access the web site you suggested and it appears that geocities has closed,

That post was from almost 6 years ago...

I googled and found this site. Not sure if they're the same people, but the product looks similar.

http://www.geonickels.com/wb/

Normally these trades take place one person to one person.

If everyone involved wanted to send me their nickels and a list of everyone who's nickels they already had (thats in the trade) I could come up with a spreadsheet that showed who needed which nickels and then mail them all out at once.

So, we'd have a set time to come up with a list of people who want to be in the trade. Then all the nickels would be mailed to me. I'd make up all the packages and mail them to the correct person.

Nice idea, very thoughtful of you. It may work for some traders.

I prefer the one-on-one contact with each geocacher I trade with, and the cost of postage doesn't bother me. I saved the envelopes I've gotten from my international trades.

Hope we get enough new traders to make it worth your effort.

:)

I'll take names (usernames) of who all would like to take part for the next month- so until the 2nd of July or when we reach 75 people- which ever comes first. Just PM me with your user name.

After that date I'll ask everyone to send me a list of who on the list they've already traded with.

Then everyone will mail me the number of nickels that are needed to send to everyone on the list.

I'll make the packages up and send them out.

No Boots........, it's not that much more than you. GrnXnhm has us both beat anyway. Things were alot busier in this thread a few years ago, but not so much anymore. Can we get something started again?

I have 141 wooden nickels and 41 poker chips, each unique and different with a fellow geocacher's name.

And I honor and respect the effort that went into making every single one of them, and that they represent a geocacher out there somewhere that I will probably never meet.

My son and I are new to geocaching, but we've had a great time on our first few excursions.

Comments like this: "I honor and respect the effort that went into making every single one of them, and that they represent a geocacher out there somewhere that I will probably never meet" make me proud we've taken up the sport. You folks are a good lot. Thanks for sharing your time and experience in the forum.

No Boots........, it's not that much more than you. GrnXnhm has us both beat anyway. Things were alot busier in this thread a few years ago, but not so much anymore. Can we get something started again?

I have 141 wooden nickels and 41 poker chips, each unique and different with a fellow geocacher's name.

And I honor and respect the effort that went into making every single one of them, and that they represent a geocacher out there somewhere that I will probably never meet.

My son and I are new to geocaching, but we've had a great time on our first few excursions.

Comments like this: "I honor and respect the effort that went into making every single one of them, and that they represent a geocacher out there somewhere that I will probably never meet" make me proud we've taken up the sport. You folks are a good lot. Thanks for sharing your time and experience in the forum.

My family is new to geocaching as well and are interested in having some wooden nickel signature items made. What is the typical cost and what vendors do you recommend?

I was very shocked at the respect and interest in helping new folks out in this forum when I joined! It's what got me hooked on geocoins! Check out the pay it forward forum... and then look at how people quietly help everyone else out.

I had a friend loose a geodog when we had just started geocaching and a fellow coin person sent me a rainbowbridge coin for this person... no questions asked and this is a very large, sought after coin....... that's the geocoin community!

My family is new to geocaching as well and are interested in having some wooden nickel signature items made. What is the typical cost and what vendors do you recommend?

I started with geonickels.com, you supply the design, they make a really nice wooden nickel.

Then I started buying blank wooden nickels from wooden-nickel.com. From there you can add your own design with paint, markers, wood burners, etc.......... I use custom-made rubber stamps with my personal design on it. Blanks are cheap, maybe $15-$20 for a couple hundred.

Send me your address thru my geocaching profile and I'll send you one of mine. No trade necessary.

I started with geonickels.com, you supply the design, they make a really nice wooden nickel.

Then I started buying blank wooden nickels from wooden-nickel.com. From there you can add your own design with paint, markers, wood burners, etc.......... I use custom-made rubber stamps with my personal design on it. Blanks are cheap, maybe $15-$20 for a couple hundred.

Send me your address thru my geocaching profile and I'll send you one of mine. No trade necessary.

I'll check out geonickels.com right now. PM sent! Thanks!!!

I just ordered a lb of blank wooden nickels and some Avery 8293 labels. Now I need to start designing!

Edited by broncobob9

Received slowdownracers's nickel & poker chip today. Thanks again!

IMG00021-20110620-1815.jpg

IMG00022-20110620-1815.jpg

Wow! What a huge thread. I just ordered mine from old time wooden nickel. I bought 100 at about .57 cent's each and got 50 for free. They ship on the 26th of August. I want to trade some so if anyone wants to trade when I get them please shoot me an email or contact me on the site. I will create a list and as soon as I get them I will send them out.

Scott

Wow, lot of great ideas for coins. I came across a little tutorial on the internet that shows you how to make your own homemade pogs, which are kind of similar to wooden nickles.

http://newbiedm.com/2008/11/22/newbiedm-tutorial-counters-tokens-or-pogs/

I made try my hand at making them like this and then putting them out there :D

That is basically how I do mine but I use avery labels, spray acrylic ,use modge podge and spray acrylic once again to protect them from nature.

Hello my friend! :) Firstly, congrats on your wooden nickel! :) It is nice!! I do not have any to trade, unfortunatelly..

I am writing to let you know that instead of this thread, that moderators will probably close or merge with an other thread.... you can post this in the wooden nickel trading thread in the forums!

you can fing it here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=104724

I hope I helped a little! :)

btw... I like that they are numbered! :D

That's a very nice nickel by The Three Harrells.

But what's really weird..............

I had never seen the name Powhatan before today, and it was an answer in the crossword puzzle in today's newspaper that I just did an hour ago. The clue was "Pocahontas's father". Now I see it again on a wooden nickel.

I hate when that happens. Makes me want to believe in ESP and crap like that.

Sending e-mail for trade now.

Hi All,

Im new to Geocaching, and I started today... talk about fun. On my second cache I found a wooden nickle in it and decided I wanted to do one too. I was googling all day and I came across a few DIY versions of the coins. One being the laserJet transfer method, a sticker on a coin, and the stamp method. I think I would go the stamp method, as its a bit easier to crank out some coins that way. Here are my questions

1. I know I said I wanted to do the stamp method, but is there a better way? Has anyone done it via stamp, if so what kind of stamp ( self inking etc )

2. Where can I get cheap wooden coins at?

3. I'd like to track these, and I think I read that I could buy a Travel Bug and then attach that code to all of the coins and have it tracked like that.

Also, have a bit of a root around the forums, throw in a few searches - it is amazing the things you can turn up.

When I first started I read the pinned topics (there were a few more then than there is now!), and heaps and heaps of threads. Plus the help topics on geocoins on the main site too. I wanted to find out as much as possible about this cool new thing (new to me).

In the process I found heaps of really interesting, informative and useful process. Stuff that I would never have found otherwise.

Have fun :)

Yep, there's still a few of us wooden nickelers lurking around here. I use the method discussed by the Frosties above. Self-inking stampers are available from several places on the net, and I made a jig to hold the nickel while I stamp it. Actually my jig is recessed at two levels: the nickel in the bottom cut-out, the stamper fits in the top cut-out, so it stays centered on the nickel. Always get my nickels from wooden-nickel.com.

Don't forget to check-out the wooden nickel trading thread in the forums and join in. I'm always ready for a good trade.