Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

Wooden nickel discussions were added to the trackables forum as a courtesy by the powers-that-be. Be sure to check-out the wooden nickel trading thread, there are still alot of us around who would gladly trade with any of you newbies via snail-mail. I've built a rather nice collection that way. And still make my own.

My wooden nickels are made with a rubber stamp for each side with different color inks. Then I add some coloring on the front with markers. I never got into varnishing them, however.

I've got wooden nickels that were burnt/engraved, painted, stamped, made with stickers, cut to odd sized, made from plastic, etc.......... from all parts of the US, Canada, and several foreign countries. They are a great alternative to geocoins, but not worth making trackable.

You find one of mine in a cache, it's yours. But I'll always mail trades to anybody. And if you e-mail me thru my profile, I'll send one to anybody even without a trade. It's always good to make contact with another geocacher somewhere else in the world.

:rolleyes:

I now have 206 different nickels and/or poker chips--all geocaching related. Most are cacher's personal nickels but a few are for geo-events.

I just like the fact that these nickels are something I can actually find in caches and then trade for and keep--unlike the geocoins which are usually activated TB's that you find and are not meant to be kept.

No Boots........, it's not that much more than you. GrnXnhm has us both beat anyway. Things were alot busier in this thread a few years ago, but not so much anymore. Can we get something started again?

I have 141 wooden nickels and 41 poker chips, each unique and different with a fellow geocacher's name.

And I honor and respect the effort that went into making every single one of them, and that they represent a geocacher out there somewhere that I will probably never meet.

Things were alot busier in this thread a few years ago, but not so much anymore. Can we get something started again?

Yeah, I think with the waning popularity of geocoins, geo-nickel popularity seems to be waning as well. People aren't the rabid coin fanatics that they were a few years ago and it seems like I find less of the wooden nickels in caches now as well. It's too bad. I think it would be really cool if every cacher had their own signature item that they leave in caches.

I think it would be really cool if every cacher had their own signature item that they leave in caches.

I started with wooden nickels, went to poker chips, then my own geocoin, I think I was the only geocacher to have a personal geo-patch done, and now I'm full-circle back to wooden nickels again.

If a geocache I find has a signature item in it, that's usually what I trade for.

:laughing:

I've got about a month and a half before I graduate from Grad School. Once that it over, I am hoping to get back into caching a bit more. Homework has been a killer for me for the past 3.5 years, but I am looking forward to saying goodbye to that. I will definitely be back into the nickel game. I bought a box of wooden nickel seconds from a manufacturer. I design my coins on the computer, print them out, and affix them over the wood, so the errant designs pre-printed on the nickels are not an issue. These "seconds" are much cheaper. I think I bought 500 or more (sold by weight) for about 30 bucks? It was a while ago, so numbers are fuzzy.

Anyway, count me in. I have GrnXham(?) and Speedracer, and most of the old "regulars" in here, as we've already traded, but as for the new folks? I'd say lets get a trade on! In June!

Boots...

I think it would be really cool if every cacher had their own signature item that they leave in caches.

I started with wooden nickels, went to poker chips, then my own geocoin, I think I was the only geocacher to have a personal geo-patch done, and now I'm full-circle back to wooden nickels again.

If a geocache I find has a signature item in it, that's usually what I trade for.

I regret to inform you...there was a patch made by a team here in CA also...Raptor and Rex

RaptorandRexPatch.jpg

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I just bought some for .60 cents per plus a 16$ set up fee. To me it is worth the money, I don't always have the time or inclination to make that sort of thing. The ones I got are done with some sort of laser/drill something, not paint.

They should be in tomorrow's mail so I'll let you know how they turned out.

Sorry, Eartha. I didn't know this thread existed.

I got my Nickels in this evening, and they are great.

I provided the company with my username, what year we started and what image I wanted. I got back a nice nickel! I'll try and upload a picture.

I'd be game for the trade (but I've only got about 50 nickels to trade the rest are for caches found and for in person trading).

If you want a recomendation on laser cut nickels send me a PM (not sure if I can advertise for them here) and I'll let you know where I got them.

I've got a photo album online of most of my collected nickels. you can check it out at: http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/Boots_treadlightly/Geocaching_Sig_Items/

Specifically, here is the one that I am trading currently. http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/Boots_treadlightly/Geocaching_Sig_Items/BootsSig4.jpg

I periodically create new designs for my nickels, so if you don't like this one, wait a little bit, and maybe I'd hit on a design that you like!

Boots...

I kept seeing these notices show up in my inbox and thought... wow, someone has brought the thread back!

I still have a few of my wooden nickles. I keep them for the best caches I find or for trades. I needed something a little more cost-worthy for my signature items, so I invested about 65 bucks in golf pencils (three lines; pencils have erasers). The best part is I keep them in my pocket, sign a log and leave the sig item!

If people are interested in swapping signature items, I'd be more than willing to trade the pencils for nickles or whatever else. :)

And speaking about how many sig items/nickels etc. I'm not sure. I know I have a large ammo can full of sig items and plan on photographing them, my pathtags and my geocoins and putting them into a coffee table book for myself. :)

I now have my second wooden nickel compliments of MooseJawSpruce. :-)

I found another Allegany State Park bash nickle in a different cache if anyone wants to trade for it that might be going to the bash. (I'm gonna keep the first one I found since it's the first ever coin/nickle I found). I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not so I want the other one to make it there if possible! (or I can re-cache it and hope it makes it there via someone finding it that's going!)

**EDITED TO NOTE THAT THIS IS MY 42'd POST. AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY TOWEL! :lol: **

Edited by sheltiedogshowlover

I regret to inform you...there was a patch made by a team here in CA also...Raptor and Rex

RaptorandRexPatch.jpg

Very nice patch, I'd like to make a trade, but while they have a geocaching account, they have no finds. Created the account last year and never logged back in. Quite interesting.

Got a trade in the works with edsfind and is ready to mail. Thanks for contacting me.

Still willing to make other trades, just e-mail me thru my profile. I still have wooden nickels and poker chips, last pictured in post # 1148.

Very nice patch, I'd like to make a trade, but while they have a geocaching account, they have no finds. Created the account last year and never logged back in. Quite interesting.

Got a trade in the works with edsfind and is ready to mail. Thanks for contacting me.

Still willing to make other trades, just e-mail me thru my profile. I still have wooden nickels and poker chips, last pictured in post # 1148.

They actually had a ton of finds back in the day. Perhaps you got linked to the wrong name. I'm not sure if they are still playing...

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c0d5d6fc-e76e-4986-8493-d159d435f223

anyone wants to trade just let me know,, its all new to me.

edsfind - My nickel to you went in the mail Monday. Welcome to wooden nickel trading.

WriteShopRobert - Thanks for the heads-up on Raptor & Rex patches. Made a trade with them yesterday.

Happy trading days are here again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edsfind - My nickel to you went in the mail Monday. Welcome to wooden nickel trading.

WriteShopRobert - Thanks for the heads-up on Raptor & Rex patches. Made a trade with them yesterday.

Guess what was in my mail box today! Wow looking good very cool stuff! thanks for the trade slowdownracer

Our Wooden nickel is my avatar,..we had 500 made, each are individually numbered but not trackable..Avatar pic does not show number, we drop them in caches as a sig. item...anyone interested in trading, just drop me a line...BTW, on the reverse side are our sons caching names, and the New Jersey Geo-logo.

Edited by old_school_65

Guess what was in my mail box today! Wow looking good very cool stuff! thanks for the trade slowdownracer

Got your package today, edsfind. Very generous, thank you. The wooden nickels are neat, I like the handmade PHILLIES nickel. I am not a vet, but have relatives who are, and I always appreciate their service to our country. Thanks for the nice reminder.

Our Wooden nickel is my avatar,..we had 500 made, each are individually numbered but not trackable..Avatar pic does not show number, we drop them in caches as a sig. item...anyone interested in trading, just drop me a line...BTW, on the reverse side are our sons caching names, and the New Jersey Geo-logo.

Private Message Sent. Hope to trade soon!

I've been playing with my wood burner and with a wood paint pen on some wooden nickles. Since they're hand made each will be different.

The first one I made I spelled geocaching wrong (s instead of c).. but it's labeled #1 so I'll keep it and laugh every time I look at it.

The second one I made I put into a birthday cache container tube that my husband can make into a cache with some swag and a coin for representing me (the dogs are on it) and a coin representing him (lots of Pi, bianary code and 42 on that one).

This weekend I hope to make some more. I love making things! These are basic but I hope to get more in depth as I try different techniques on the wooden coins. :)

Private Message Sent. Hope to trade soon!

PM sent back to you. :)

I sent out a few e-mails/PMs about some trades. I don't have a ton of nickels left (switched to a new sig item -- golf pencils) but I'd be willing to trade and add a few new nickels to the collection. If you want to trade and we haven't done so in the past, let me know. Also let me know if you'd like the pencil as a trade of sig items. :)

Team "Nelmel" Wooden Nickels have arrived!!

My shipment of wooden nickels shipped out today! Hopefully, I will get them before the weeks out. I'm game for trading, so hit me up with a PM! Here is what being shipped out (side 1, and 2):

nickel2.jpgnickel1.jpg

You've got the Peace sign (wifes logo), fleur de li, 5 stars all representing family members, and the black & Red for the Louisville Cardinals colors. There you go, "Team Nelmel", my first cache signature item (wooden nickel style)!

I would be willing to trade for wooden nickels, pathtags, or even patches.

Thanks,

nelmel

Please Ship Here:

Lawrence Nelson

10201 Charleswood Rd

Louisville Ky, 40229

Edited by Nelmel
Got another nickel in the mail this morning for Nelmel. You should have it soon!

on a side note, my wife has family in the Louisville area, and we've been there a couple of times! Small world.

Boots... ...Tread Lightly

Thanks for the nickel Boots, look foward to seeing it! Ya, Louisville is the best kept secret, didn't you know? Kentucky Derby coming up, come on down here and place some bets, and drink some mint tulips! Oh ya, find some great caches while your add it!

Got nickels in the mail yesterday from Edsfind and OldSchool. Great Nickels! Mine went out in yesterday's mail, so they should be there soon!

NelMel, I am going to hit you up with a PM to trade! Looks Good!

got it today Boots, Wow great looking nickle! thanks for the trade