Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

I haven't produced any nickels in quite a while, but I recently bought some 1.5" circular labels, and so it's got me to thinking about it again. Does anyone here buy their blank wooden nickels online? I am looking for an online source that can do a whole lot better than the $3 for 22 nickels that I get at the local craft store. There are lots of sellers online, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Since this is a 1.5" label, I am looking for a blank that does NOT have the rounded, beveled edges (that I so prefer to the flat sides, but oh well!).

Thanks in advance!

Seeing this thread has reminded me of the wooden nickel collectors that are out there. I have about 20-30 wooden nickels and poker chips various shapes, styles and from different people. I was originally going to place them all in a new cache but figured before I did that I would see if any of you want them. Email me if you're interested and i'll give you a list of the ones I do have. Maybe we can work out a trade of some sort, a coin of your choice for multiple wooden nickels/poker chips.

Seeing this thread has reminded me of the wooden nickel collectors that are out there. I have about 20-30 wooden nickels and poker chips various shapes, styles and from different people. I was originally going to place them all in a new cache but figured before I did that I would see if any of you want them. Email me if you're interested and i'll give you a list of the ones I do have. Maybe we can work out a trade of some sort, a coin of your choice for multiple wooden nickels/poker chips.

Getting out of the Wooden Nickel game, N8urgrl?

O.K., I know the answer is probably in here somewhere, but I honestly didn't want to read through 38 pages to find it.

Does anyone know who still makes Wooden Nickels? I would love to get some more made. I had thought about doing the Poker Chips like a lot of folks are doing, but I really like the look and feel of the Wooden Nickels.

Any help is appreciated!!!

O.K., I know the answer is probably in here somewhere, but I honestly didn't want to read through 38 pages to find it.

Does anyone know who still makes Wooden Nickels? I would love to get some more made. I had thought about doing the Poker Chips like a lot of folks are doing, but I really like the look and feel of the Wooden Nickels.

There are actually quite a few places that do it, but to be honest, I really didn't want to go wading through these 38 pages to find the link either. A google search for wooden nickels brought up a few that do it. I bought wooden nickel blanks from www.wooden-nickel.com, and affixed my own labels to them.

There are actually quite a few places that do it, but to be honest, I really didn't want to go wading through these 38 pages to find the link either. A google search for wooden nickels brought up a few that do it. I bought wooden nickel blanks from www.wooden-nickel.com, and affixed my own labels to them.

e-mail sent

ILYK

I am interested in getting some wooden nickels made too - any advice? Does it matter that I am located in Canada (i.e. are there companies that are based in Canada that make them or are there any companies that will not ship to Canada).

Thanks in advance!

I am interested in getting some wooden nickels made too - any advice? Does it matter that I am located in Canada (i.e. are there companies that are based in Canada that make them or are there any companies that will not ship to Canada).

Thanks in advance!

email sent here as well :D

Geowooden Nickles Trading Coins for Geocachers - GWNT's

Geocaching for me can bring on a bit of Nostalgia while looking for the cache. Walking through the woods is something I would do all the time as a kid and at age sixty two there is no way I would try to clime up a steep wooded hill. Yet, that geocache is up there some where and I'm going to find it. It's what motivation can do to get you off the couch. I remember being fascinated with a Captain Video code ring from the late fifty's. When I saw The Pocket Decoder from TheCachingPlace.com, I had to get me one including all the available code wheels. I started geocaching to better my heath, but now in the short time I've been at it, geocaching has took on life all it's own. Seems I'm always reminded of things I have not thought about for many years.

The one thing I keep forgetting to put in my cache bag is SWAG items. I try to put something in the cache box even if I don't take anything out. So I put in the logbook a dollar. I have my first geocoin on it's way and wonder how far it will go or if I will see it again in my hand. I would like to collect geocoins from other cachers but how do I collect the coins that has been around the world when the idea is to put it in the next cache box and send it on it's way again?

A hobby I had that was vary popular in its day was CB radio. Back then I had to have a FCC license with call letters, my QSL was KLK-3208 , “This is the Martin Bird Call, calling from”, ...where ever. This was before the time truck drivers know what a CB was.

That made for a sub hobby much like travel bugs and letterbox stamps. Collecting hundreds of QSL Cards from CB Jamborees and other CB'ers I would meet.

QSL cards are a ham radio operator's calling card and are frequently an expression of individual creativity — from a photo of the operator at his station to original artwork, images of the operator's alter ego. They become the individual pride of its owner much like Geocoins. The collecting of QSL cards of especially interesting designs has become an add-on hobby for CB'ers and my bed room was wallpapered with them.

I thought this would be a great way to go for SWAG items. Not QSL cards but individual custom made Geowooden Trading Nickles to put in a cache box. I looked up custom made metal coins and found out, and as cool as they were, I would have to mortgage my house to keep in stock for Stuff We All Get to put in the cache. Then I remembered something else from the past. “Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels”.

On December 5, 1931, the Citizen's Bank of Tenino, Washington state failed and created a shortage of money. This left the merchants of the area unable to get change A meeting of the Chamber of Commerce resulted in the local newspaper printing up the first issue of wooden money in the United States. Several other places, mostly in the Pacific North-West, issued wooden money after that. I think Congress today is about to reinstate the wooden nickles for money.

So what doe's all this have to do with Geocaching? Why not have individual made Wooden Nickles with the cachers name and alter ego to put in cache boxes ,trade and collect?

I don't know how will this would catch on but I have some made up over one hundred at about the cost of a large geocache box. I will be placing my Geowooden Nickel Trading Coins in my cache finds. Geowooden Nickel Trading Coins could be the next QSL's of Geocaching.

<unauthorized sales link removed by moderator>

Now that I have got all that out, I would like to hear from you folks what you might think of GWNT's.

Edited by Eartha

Well, for your first question... It would be cool to collect coins that have traveled around the world, but unfortnatly, you can't!! Active coins that are traveling belong to others and I don't think any collector would like their coins to stop moving. To collect coins you have to buy them unactivated, now you could release them and hope one day they will return to you but its never knowen what will happen to it once you let it go. A lot of realeased geocoins get stolen, and most of us drill a hole or holes in them so that it will increase the chance of it continue to travel and eliminate them from being re-sold. We also attach tags , although none of this stops them from disapearing.

Most collectors keep their coins they buy to trade or release, so that is reallythe only way to collect.

Wooden nickels have been around for awhile, there is a thread here for trading them, and I have collected quite afew from caches also. A lot of peps with wooden nickles leave them as you said as calling cards in caches, also you will find trinkets with names on them called sig items some peps collect those as well or send them along in a coin trade.

You also might look into pathtags where they have a serial number to track where they are and are much more affordable to make.

Hope your first coin does well out in the wild and welcome to the geocoin addiction!

Geowooden Nickles Trading Coins for Geocachers - GWNT's

So what doe's all this have to do with Geocaching? Why not have individual made Wooden Nickles with the cachers name and alter ego to put in cache boxes ,trade and collect?

I don't know how will this would catch on but I have some made up over one hundred at about the cost of a large geocache box. I will be placing my Geowooden Nickel Trading Coins in my cache finds. Geowooden Nickel Trading Coins could be the next QSL's of Geocaching.

<unauthorized sales link removed by moderator>

Now that I have got all that out, I would like to hear from you folks what you might think of GWNT's.

Now that I have merged your post with the wooden nickle thread, you can see how it caught on years ago. It's not a new idea, and we don't allow sales of non-trackable wooden nickles. This thread is grandfathered in, meaning it is allowed to remain, but this is the only thread people may post their nickles in, for trade, not for sale. No sales links please.

(EDIT: I found some shops now :-)

Hi there from Germany :-)

Does anybody of you have an idea where to get blank wooden nickels that are larger than 1.5" but smaller than 2"?

My favorite would be something like 1.75".

I googled for hours and hours, but i did not found a shop selling other sizes than the standards...

Hope you can help me...

btw.. very nice self made coins here in the topic :-)

Tobias

Edited by BriToGi

Some of us old traders are still lurking around these parts. My nickel pictures used to be visible in this thread, but maybe not anymore.

I'll try posting them again later, but I'll send you a photo of them when you reply to my e-mail, which I will send next.

Thanks for reviving this thread, and happy trading !!!

I decided to make my own geocoin. It is more like a wooden nickel, really. It isn't trackable, of course, just something to leave in geocaches I visit. :3

Photo03222041.jpg

Hi rav_bunneh,

Good job - they look great.

This is what you would call your "sig item" (short for signature item) - your calling card when caching. :)

So how did you make them? I've been thinking about making a wooden nickel too but not sure what the best way is.

I got some wood circle blanks at my local craft store and used a rubber stamp to carefully imprint each one. Then used a fine point pen on the other side to write my name. I'm still thinking about if I want to varnish them or not.

So how did you make them? I've been thinking about making a wooden nickel too but not sure what the best way is.

I got some wood circle blanks at my local craft store and used a rubber stamp to carefully imprint each one. Then used a fine point pen on the other side to write my name. I'm still thinking about if I want to varnish them or not.

I vote for varnish or even a sanding sealer to make the ink a bit more water resistant.... nothing worse than a wooden nickel whose ink and design has run into a soggy mess.

definitely varnish, wood does not hold up well in moist places without a sealant on it. Geocaches are not always the driest places. Speaking from experience, varnish away.

I just bought some for .60 cents per plus a 16$ set up fee. To me it is worth the money, I don't always have the time or inclination to make that sort of thing. The ones I got are done with some sort of laser/drill something, not paint.

They should be in tomorrow's mail so I'll let you know how they turned out.