Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

:D Well I haven't been on the Wooden nickel trading thread for awhile and thought I'd pop in and stir things up a bit. The stars lined up and the creative juices were flowing and this is the end product...

I found my hot glue gun.. that's a miracle in itself,

but not only did I find that.. I found a bag of sig items that were either smudged or what I would consider "factory seconds", including sculpey tokens, bark nickels and some of my wooden nickels I'd made.

In addition I found a box of small magnets I'd gotten from work, and it all came together.

I hot glued magnets on the smudged or funky side of these items, with the good side out, and.. TaDAA! they made pretty decent fridge magnets.

If you'd like to trade wooden nickels or other sig item for one of em, let me know and we'll make it happen, pick what ya want from the photo and if it's still available its yours. :huh:

:D The MCR magnet at the top right was just on the fridge and not part of the trade btw. B)

4e8e5267-52db-4bac-a6cb-c166bd137d6f.jpg

is there a spray varnish that i could use in this process? is the picture of boots on this site mentioned above yours?

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/B...hing_Sig_Items/

how did you get the paper so perfectly aligned on the coin?!

lara

You can use a spray Varnish. I do a first coat on mine, using the spray, because I find that the inkjet inks tend to run if I use a brush varnish on them. So I do a coat of spray first, then brush 2-3 more coats on. I find that the ink still bleeds on the paintbrush after a coat of spray, but it is greatly minimized. I could hit it with another coat of the spray, but I think the spray mutes the colors just a bit. Thats not a problem on the boots side, but it does detract on the other side.

The Boots image is my work. I do some semi-pro photography on the side, and so I photographed my pair of boots after a good muddy walk, and them photoshopped it into a collage with the background and beveled the edge of the center oval.

As far as aligning it to the coin, I bought a circle cutter and fiddled with it for ever. I cut a scrap paper then taped it to the bottom of the cutter, so that I could see exactly where my cut would fall. Once I got that set up just right (the better part of 2 hours!!), I set out to cut a bunch of the coin patterns. As far as centering them on the coin, well, I just do that by eyeball. I drop a fairly heavy bead of glue on the face of a coin, then press another coin against it, so that the glue is evenly distributed on the faces of the two coins. Then I set one of the designs on the coin and eyeball it to the best I can. The edge of the circle and the edge of the coin are very close, so its pretty easy to eyeball it. Once it's on the face, I then press the coin between my palms to lock it in place. I then affix another copy of the design to the other coin (that I used to spread the bead of glue on the first face).

It probably sounds more complicated than it really is. It takes me a few days to put out about 30 or so. Most of that time it just coating with varnish and letting it dry.

Hope that helps!

Boots...

I got slowdownracer nickels today.

Thanks for the trade!

....and I got more nickels from GrnXnham today too!

Any more traders?

:)

Hey slowdown! Got the nickels in the mail yesterday! Thanks a bunch!! I'm waiting on my stamps from rubberstampchamp.com, AND I got the first proofs on my nickels from geonickels.com. Soon as I get the nickles made up you'll be getting a couple of each in return!

Edited by WestTxCondor

Got my stamps from rubberstampchamps.com today. Bought a small pack of nickels at hobby lobby to practice on and I've discovered I can't stamp for squat :P I have some cardstock paper which I can stamp and then use an 1 1/4 inch round punch to punch them out. that means I have to adhere the paper to the nickel then spray polyurethane to seal it up. I'm hoping this method will work and the paper will stay adhered to the wood even after a few coats of polyurethane are applied.

But, I'd like to know how those of you that stamp directly onto the nickels do it. How do you center the stamp, do you have a rig to keep everything still, etc.

Thanks

Well I decided to take the plunge and start stamping my wooden nickels tonight. The front looks pretty straight, but the back is a bit wobbly :laughing: (still can't stamp center for squat). I think I hit dead center a few times, but they don't look too bad. Just finished spraying the second of three coats of polyurethane on one side of the coin. Gonna do one more coat tonight and let them set to dry. Tomorrow night I'll do three coats on the other side. With the polyurethane it lets me do one coat every 10-15 minutes, but I'm giving them about 20 before I recoat them. I haven't seen any ink bleed yet but I'm working on these at night, with only a balcony light -- so I'll get a better look at them in the morning.

Once I get the other side coated they should be ready for picture taking Wednesday night and a few are headed up with me to Silver City, New Mexico for some Memorial Day weekend caching.

Well I decided to take the plunge and start stamping my wooden nickels tonight. The front looks pretty straight, but the back is a bit wobbly :laughing: (still can't stamp center for squat). I think I hit dead center a few times, but they don't look too bad. Just finished spraying the second of three coats of polyurethane on one side of the coin. Gonna do one more coat tonight and let them set to dry. Tomorrow night I'll do three coats on the other side. With the polyurethane it lets me do one coat every 10-15 minutes, but I'm giving them about 20 before I recoat them. I haven't seen any ink bleed yet but I'm working on these at night, with only a balcony light -- so I'll get a better look at them in the morning.

Once I get the other side coated they should be ready for picture taking Wednesday night and a few are headed up with me to Silver City, New Mexico for some Memorial Day weekend caching.

Let us know when you have a few, we would love to trade!!!

Well I decided to take the plunge and start stamping my wooden nickels tonight. The front looks pretty straight, but the back is a bit wobbly :D (still can't stamp center for squat). I think I hit dead center a few times, but they don't look too bad. Just finished spraying the second of three coats of polyurethane on one side of the coin. Gonna do one more coat tonight and let them set to dry. Tomorrow night I'll do three coats on the other side. With the polyurethane it lets me do one coat every 10-15 minutes, but I'm giving them about 20 before I recoat them. I haven't seen any ink bleed yet but I'm working on these at night, with only a balcony light -- so I'll get a better look at them in the morning.

I just put the final three coats of polyurethane on the second side tonight. they need a couple of days to dry, but I will h put some pictures up before I head out of town on Friday. I'm currently in the process of stamping out the second side of the next 150 nickels. Poor hobby lobby. They just put their new stock of wooden nickel blanks up yesterday and I cleaned both stores out today. :D:lol::D

Gotta go back tomorrow for another can of spray on polyurethane and protective baggies.

Well I decided to take the plunge and start stamping my wooden nickels tonight. The front looks pretty straight, but the back is a bit wobbly :ph34r: (still can't stamp center for squat). I think I hit dead center a few times, but they don't look too bad. Just finished spraying the second of three coats of polyurethane on one side of the coin. Gonna do one more coat tonight and let them set to dry. Tomorrow night I'll do three coats on the other side. With the polyurethane it lets me do one coat every 10-15 minutes, but I'm giving them about 20 before I recoat them. I haven't seen any ink bleed yet but I'm working on these at night, with only a balcony light -- so I'll get a better look at them in the morning.

I just put the final three coats of polyurethane on the second side tonight. they need a couple of days to dry, but I will h put some pictures up before I head out of town on Friday. I'm currently in the process of stamping out the second side of the next 150 nickels. Poor hobby lobby. They just put their new stock of wooden nickel blanks up yesterday and I cleaned both stores out today. :):D:unsure:

Gotta go back tomorrow for another can of spray on polyurethane and protective baggies.

Hope its going well with your new nickles, WestTexasCondor. Let us know when you've got them done. I'd be happy to trade with ya!

Boots...

I was invited to this discussion by boots to post a few pictures of my recently created Signature Tokens. The larger ones are formed from a mold with two halves, the smaller flat ones are from a one sided mold. The new Pirate tokens are just being cast for the first time from the new mold that set last night.

Here are some pictures.

Molds setting

geocoin3.jpg

Molds and Tokens after they are cured.

geocoin4.jpg

Here they are painted

geocoin10.jpg

New Pirate tokens molded from Disney Pirates of the Caribbean Coins.

geocoin11.jpg

I have placed a bunch of these and they have been well appreciated.

I was invited to this discussion by boots to post a few pictures of my recently created Signature Tokens. The larger ones are formed from a mold with two halves, the smaller flat ones are from a one sided mold. The new Pirate tokens are just being cast for the first time from the new mold that set last night.

Would you be interested in a trade, ours for yours?

Once I see how many Tokens I have I'll have to see as I am still making them for my own caches I am placing and adopting. I want a supply to replace them as they disappear.

I have poker tokens that I might very well be willing to trade similar to the wooden nickles. They look like this on one side in various colors:

lztoken.jpg

Edited by lordzogat

Once I see how many Tokens I have I'll have to see as I am still making them for my own caches I am placing and adopting. I want a supply to replace them as they disappear.

I have poker tokens that I might very well be willing to trade similar to the wooden nickles.

Cool let us know, and great job on them.

Creating new tokens, these are the rough masters, I still have to determine the lettering. Any suggestions?

geohansolo.jpggeoskull.jpg

geoskullhand.jpg

I was thinking for the Hand it could be "The Determined Cacher" or "Cache till yer Dead" or some other gruesome jingle.

Edited by lordzogat

Creating new tokens, these are the rough masters, I still have to determine the lettering. Any suggestions?

geohansolo.jpggeoskull.jpg

geoskullhand.jpg

I was thinking for the Hand it could be "The Determined Cacher" or "Cache till yer Dead" or some other gruesome jingle.

Or

Lending a hand to fellow cachers, LOL! Very cool idea.

Edited by Frank n Beck

Meant to get these pictures up last Friday before I left for Silver City, New Mexico. Got two batches of nickels done and a third that's about to get the second side spray coated. The initial batch of 42 I did didn't quite turn out like I wanted. They stamped fine but spray coating them one at a time in a rubber gloved hand -- not a good idea. Ye old cookie sheet worked much better. And my metal table looks all shiny in spots too!! :DB)B):):D

So without further ado:

WestTxNickel.jpg

I owe Slowdownracer a pair, and anyone else who is interesed just send me a pm here and Iwill get them in the mail on saturday!

Looking good WestTxCondor !!! Can't wait to see them. Did you get the e-mail and pictures of my rubber stamp jig?

The amount of the trade depends on the trade. Rarely just one, because I usually send 2 nickels or 1 nickel and 1 poker chip. Duplicates I put in Justin's collection.

:D

No I didn't get your email... silly yahoo. :unsure::blink::D

PM me your snail mail address and I will get your nickels out in the mail on Saturday

Looking good WestTxCondor !!! Can't wait to see them. Did you get the e-mail and pictures of my rubber stamp jig?

The amount of the trade depends on the trade. Rarely just one, because I usually send 2 nickels or 1 nickel and 1 poker chip. Duplicates I put in Justin's collection.

:D

No I didn't get your email... silly yahoo. :unsure::blink::D

PM me your snail mail address and I will get your nickels out in the mail on Saturday

E-mail resent with jig instructions, photos, and snail mail address. I'll try PM also. Thanks for the nickels.

Just to let everybody I'm trading with know I'm leaving for Disney World today and will mail your nickels to you when I get back. Sorry I didn't get them in the mail before I left.

Well, they'll be at least one little package waiting for you when you get back! :rolleyes:

Have a great time. Make sure you do all the roller coasters and 3-D movies you can. They were our favorites when we were there in 2001.

Hello wooden nickel traders. Its been a long time since I have Smurfed on here. Just got back into Geocaching and getting stuff ready to start Smurfing more sig items again. Also trying to think of some new ones for people to trade with. My girlfreind is now into Geocaching and made her first and only sig item. She is not sure about Smurfing more or not. I told her I would post a pic of it and see what people think of it. It is all done by hand and she didn't want to take the time and make them if no one Smurfed them. So if you can post or email me and let me know what you think of it. That way she can make more or not. Thanks for your time fellow cachers. Greg "GeoSmurfz"

GSLtoken.jpg

Hello wooden nickel traders. Its been a long time since I have Smurfed on here. Just got back into Geocaching and getting stuff ready to start Smurfing more sig items again. Also trying to think of some new ones for people to trade with. My girlfreind is now into Geocaching and made her first and only sig item. She is not sure about Smurfing more or not. I told her I would post a pic of it and see what people think of it. It is all done by hand and she didn't want to take the time and make them if no one Smurfed them. So if you can post or email me and let me know what you think of it. That way she can make more or not. Thanks for your time fellow cachers. Greg "GeoSmurfz"

GSLtoken.jpg

Oh what a smurfy nickel!!! :wub: I really like it! And all by hand?? That is a lot of work my friend!

Unfortunatelly I do not have a signature item or anything to smurf (trade) with it!

Nice token!

Edited by Tennessee Jed