Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

I have a few Cabela's spring fling event wooden nickles to trade from the 3rd yearly event in Wheeling WV. I will post a picture as soon as I can

Would like to see them at the very least. :grin: Maybe even get ahold of one! I only have personal nickels

to trade. Like I said I only have wooden nickels as my sig item( soon to have stamped pennies) but if any one even wants to trade with me for their sig item that would OK by me. Really I just need to get my trade fix and I'll be fine! :laughing:

I'm not sure what all this Nascar talk is about but we now have a new nickel to trade. The old nickel is below (front and back) and our new Nickel is the top one. I'll trade for anyone's printed nickel that I don't have. I have only a few of the old nickels left but plenty of the new nickels.

13cbf13f-7fc3-4c4c-b83c-de94e7fce812.jpg

Okay, I've got nickels in the mail to the following people:

slowdownracer

Frank n Beck

dardevle

Anyone else want to trade?

I'm surprised the wooden nickels haven't caught on more with people who want something to drop in every cache. I'd like to have a geocoin but it's just too expensive for most people to drop them in every cache.

I've collected about 250 different geocoins but only about 70 different wooden nickels so far.

In some ways I actually like the nickels more because they are much more likely to be found in a cache. It seems like around here, I find someones wooden nickel in about one out of three caches. It's much lower with the geocoins.

I have a few Cabela's spring fling event wooden nickles to trade from the 3rd yearly event in Wheeling WV. I will post a picture as soon as I can

Would like to see them at the very least. :) Maybe even get ahold of one! I only have personal nickels

to trade. Like I said I only have wooden nickels as my sig item( soon to have stamped pennies) but if any one even wants to trade with me for their sig item that would OK by me. Really I just need to get my trade fix and I'll be fine! :)

I can't get a good picture of the nickles :D Send me your mailing addy dardevle and I will get one in the mail to you friday.Also the next 4 folks to post here and ask for one I will send one to you also.No need to send one of your nickles to me unless you would like to.I'll keep trying to get a good picture of the nickle to post sometime.

edit for spelling

Edited by cainrcc

Would like to see them at the very least. :) Maybe even get ahold of one! I only have personal nickels

to trade. Like I said I only have wooden nickels as my sig item( soon to have stamped pennies) but if any one even wants to trade with me for their sig item that would OK by me. Really I just need to get my trade fix and I'll be fine! :)

I can't get a good picture of the nickles :D Send me your mailing addy dardevle and I will get one in the mail to you friday.Also the next 4 folks to post here and ask for one I will send one to you also.No need to send one of your nickles to me unless you would like to.I'll keep trying to get a good picture of the nickle to post sometime.

edit for spelling

IMG_0227.jpg

We'd love one, and we will send in return.

Frank I already put one in with the coin trade that we made and it went out yesterday to you :) So it's still the next 4 people to request one will get one.

LOL!!!!!!!! OK ya got me. I have yet to send your, probably wont go till tomorrow, but I will include our trade, mine and becks poker chip, and Matt and Harleys as well. Have a great evening (or morning), Later

I would love to get each of these two nickles. I have a handful left of mine. I've edited the back side of mine, temporarily, to add a promotional graphic for the 4-H Camp Cache Bash, a geocaching event that I am organizing. These are a limited run, (till June 21), but I have a few I can send out. Check your mail.

Would like to see them at the very least. :D Maybe even get ahold of one! I only have personal nickels

edit for spelling

IMG_0227.jpg

WOW!!! what a beautiful nickel!!!!

I wish I had something to trade for it!

At first, I thought that you were taking a rounf wood stick and you were cutting it like salami! After that you were painting or engraving your signatire, cade name...

How stupid I am!

At least I saw one from close! :D

This looks engraved!!! Beautiful one!

BTW.....why you call them nickels??? Nickel is the 5 cent isn't it???

Can I ask something??? Is there a site with all the wooden nickels from evens or geocachers? You know, with photos, info....

Do wooden nickels have mintage numbers like geocoins?? for example, there are only 50 with this design?

I know I sound funny, but I have no idea about them!

Would like to see them at the very least. :D Maybe even get ahold of one! I only have personal nickels

edit for spelling

IMG_0227.jpg

WOW!!! what a beautiful nickel!!!!

I wish I had something to trade for it!

At first, I thought that you were taking a rounf wood stick and you were cutting it like salami! After that you were painting or engraving your signatire, cade name...

How stupid I am!

At least I saw one from close! :D

This looks engraved!!! Beautiful one!

BTW.....why you call them nickels??? Nickel is the 5 cent isn't it???

There is a nice article about wooden nickels on wikipedia.com. Search for "wooden nickel". It even mentions geocaching.

Can I ask something??? Is there a site with all the wooden nickels from evens or geocachers? You know, with photos, info....

Do wooden nickels have mintage numbers like geocoins?? for example, there are only 50 with this design?

I don't know of any websites with pictures of geocacher's wooden nickels. If there is one, somebody please let us know. The best you can do is search this thread for various pictures of geocacher's personal wooden nickel collections.

If you buy your wooden nickels with personalization on them from a website like geonickels.com, then there is probably a mintage number, but it could be anything depending on how many you order. Our "Lehigh Valley Geocachers" and "Pocono Geaocachers" wooden nickels, pictured in posts #125 and #313, are made by geonickels.com and we had 100 of each made.

Our latest nickel to trade, seen in post #460, is hand-made with rubber stamps. We buy as many blank nickels as we want from wooden-nickel.com and stamp them ourselves, so the amount is unlimited. I've probably made, given away, traded, or left in caches over 300 of them.

Well, this certainly isn't a very exhaustive listing, but I have a photo gallery of all the wooden nickels I have collected. I have it posted on my photobucket page at:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/B...hing_Sig_Items/

I think that there are many other cachers who have similar pages. I don't think that there is anything official though.

One cacher around here (ByrnedFish, near Rochester NY) uses a fine point marker to write in a number on each nickel, then has a website that people can post a note saying which nickels they have collected. I thought that was pretty good.

Our latest nickel to trade, seen in post #460, is hand-made with rubber stamps. We buy as many blank nickels as we want from wooden-nickel.com and stamp them ourselves, so the amount is unlimited. I've probably made, given away, traded, or left in caches over 300 of them.

I've just recently gotten back into geocaching and I want to start leaving a small item in the caches I find. I was thinking about the geocoins, but after reading this thread I think the nickels would be a lot more fun. Since you are making your own, I have a few questions:

1. The stamp you use for your nickles, did you make it yourself or have it specially ordered? (and if it was ordered, where did you get it from?)

2. Do you put any type of protective finish over your nickel so the stamp does not smear off?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

2. Do you put any type of protective finish over your nickel so the stamp does not smear off?

I can't speak for the ink used with the rubber stamps but the wooden nickels that I got from wooden-nickel.com have gone through the wash (left in my pocket) and came out still looking perfect. The ink didn't run at all. No need for any protective finish here.

Knowing that a lot of geocaches end up getting wet inside, this was exactly what I wanted.

First off, I sent a package out to Grnxham last night...

Second, mine are produced at home. I use a high color inkjet printer and a slightly heavier weight paper. Then I spray the pages (after they have thoroughly dried) with a spray varnish.

Then I cut them out with a circle cutter ($20 at Michaels Crafts).

Glue the front sides on (I make in batches of 24), then glue the back sides.

Paint one side with a clear coat of glossy varnish. Let dry 30 minutes. Flip and repeat on the back side.

Let dry over night, and paint each side with another coat of the varnish.

Let dry another night, and paint again with yet more varnish.

Once all of the varnish is dry, I slip each nickel into a 1.75" plastic zip-lock style baggie.

Thats my process.... for what it's worth.

Boots...

I've just recently gotten back into geocaching and I want to start leaving a small item in the caches I find. I was thinking about the geocoins, but after reading this thread I think the nickels would be a lot more fun. Since you are making your own, I have a few questions:

1. The stamp you use for your nickles, did you make it yourself or have it specially ordered? (and if it was ordered, where did you get it from?)

I bought 2 self-inking stampers from rubberstampchamp.com, we use them alot at work. The artwork is right out of their clipart files, you add the lettering on their design page and submit the order. I made a small wooden jig to hold the nickel and center the stamper over the middle of the wooden nickel. Then I color the 4 squares in the flag (the geocaching logo colors) with fine tip markers. I can do 50 in about 2 hours total.

There is no protective finish over the nickels, and I haven't tried water-testing them. I'm afraid to. :o

The stampers aren't too costly, and the blank nickels are pretty cheap. I make more nickels as needed and always have plenty ready to go.

E-mail me through my profile e-mail address and I'll send you a couple of them.

;)

I bought 2 self-inking stampers from rubberstampchamp.com, we use them alot at work. The artwork is right out of their clipart files, you add the lettering on their design page and submit the order. I made a small wooden jig to hold the nickel and center the stamper over the middle of the wooden nickel. Then I color the 4 squares in the flag (the geocaching logo colors) with fine tip markers. I can do 50 in about 2 hours total.

There is no protective finish over the nickels, and I haven't tried water-testing them. I'm afraid to. :o

The stampers aren't too costly, and the blank nickels are pretty cheap. I make more nickels as needed and always have plenty ready to go.

;)

So, the ink might go with water? what about if water enters in a cache? The next guy will see a blank wooden nickel (mystery nickel!!!!!)!!!!! :D I am just kiding my friend!!!

Well, with water, even the sticker will probably go off!

There is no protective finish over the nickels, and I haven't tried water-testing them. I'm afraid to. :D

:o

So, the ink might go with water? what about if water enters in a cache? The next guy will see a blank wooden nickel (mystery nickel!!!!!)!!!!! :D I am just kiding my friend!!!

Well, with water, even the sticker will probably go off!

Which is why I asked about a protective finish. ;) Everyone's been a great help. I've got the geonickels website bookmarked, and I'm also going to look at rubberstampchamp.com and see what I can come up with in a custom stamp. I already have some designs in mind and may go through geonickels for my first batch and then we'll take it from there.

Email sent slowdownracer!

Edited by WestTxCondor

Email sent to GrnXnHam and Cainrcc in hopes to trade a few wooden nickels!

As for how I have made mine, I wood burn each of mine. Therefore no two nickels are exactly alike, they won't rub off, or run off because of water. I tried to add a clear coat to the top of a couple of them back when I first started but gave that idea up quickly lol. I did spray paint a few with glow in the dark paint and that did well for a couple of them as well.

If there is anyone else that would like a trade please let me know and i'll send you a nickel. ;)

Hey GATOULIS,

Here's some pictures of laser etched & cut tokens.

Lasered Nickels

The way these are manufactured, you could serialize them. Groundspeak won't sell tracking numbers for wooden tokens though, so to make them trackable you'd have to attach dog-tags to them.

Cheers,

..Northbound

So has anyone else done this with their wooden nickels?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=478000

I used that concept a while back, but went about it differently. I actually printed the TB number directly on to the design for the wooden nickel. Then I made about 15 copies of it. Seemed like a good idea, but as you can imagine, it got very chaotic.

Recently a very prolific cacher has decided to drop and retreive his copy of my nickel in every cache. Ergo, I now get 2 emails for every cache this guy finds. He's filling my inbox!! Grrr....

Anyway, you can check it out at:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1225057

Boots...

First off, I sent a package out to Grnxham last night...

Second, mine are produced at home. I use a high color inkjet printer and a slightly heavier weight paper. Then I spray the pages (after they have thoroughly dried) with a spray varnish.

Then I cut them out with a circle cutter ($20 at Michaels Crafts).

Glue the front sides on (I make in batches of 24), then glue the back sides.

Paint one side with a clear coat of glossy varnish. Let dry 30 minutes. Flip and repeat on the back side.

Let dry over night, and paint each side with another coat of the varnish.

Let dry another night, and paint again with yet more varnish.

Once all of the varnish is dry, I slip each nickel into a 1.75" plastic zip-lock style baggie.

Thats my process.... for what it's worth.

Boots...

is there a spray varnish that i could use in this process? is the picture of boots on this site mentioned above yours?

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii267/B...hing_Sig_Items/

how did you get the paper so perfectly aligned on the coin?!

lara

Hey GATOULIS,

Here's some pictures of laser etched & cut tokens.

Lasered Nickels

The way these are manufactured, you could serialize them. Groundspeak won't sell tracking numbers for wooden tokens though, so to make them trackable you'd have to attach dog-tags to them.

Cheers,

..Northbound

WOW! I just saw your post! Hey there are some really nice nickels there!!! Some are not round shaped!! So you can make shaped nickels too? I thought that there were only round ones!