Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

SALVATION FROM PAGE 5 !!! :P

Things are a little slow in this thread, so I thought I'd liven it up a bit.

Anybody new out there with wooden nickels or poker chips? Let's trade !!!

Anybody thinking of doing their own wooden nickels or poker chips but have too many questions where to get started, just e-mail me thru my profile and I'd be glad to send you a sample of mine with instructions on how I made them.

And since I really like someone else's previous idea on throwing a cointest in the middle of the thread, I'm going to go ahead and do one too. Up for grabs is one of our signature non-trackable geocoins in antique copper and one of our new signature 3-inch embroidered patches.

Here's the rules -

1. Only one guess at both questions per cacher per day. More than one guess will disqualify you but only for that day, you can try again the next.

2. First one to answer both questions correctly gets the coin and patch.

3. I will add hints later if necessary.

Justin and I are big racing fans, all types of racing, Nascar, Indy Car, Formula 1, NHRA, sports cars, etc......

Here are the questions -

1. Who is my favorite Nascar driver?

2. Who is Justin's favorite Nascar driver?

(The answer to both is not the same.)

Good luck, and thanks for participating.

:laughing:

I have been collecting for a little bit now, and have somewhere around 50 nickels that I have collected from other cachers. I'd like to ask you folks, what do you do with your collection? Right now I have them all sitting in a lock-n-lock. I have photographed each one, and posted them to my Photobucket. But I was thinking about making them more "presentable".

What I thought about was using the old slide pages (remember 35mm slides?) and slipping one coin into each pocket. Problem is, each page held 20 slides, so my 50-peice collection would only take up 2.5 pages. If I were to take an album like that to an event, 2 and a half pages of nickels doesn't really seem overly impressive. So... just thought I would get your take on it.

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR COLLECTED NICKELS??

I've got two pages of nickels and I keep them in with my coin collection. I've slipped them in a coin protector page just like my coins and then have them along with other non trackable personal items (poker chips, etc) behind my coins in my album. That way people that are looking at my coin collection will also see the poker chips and wooden nickels i've collected.

Edited by n8turgrl

I have been collecting for a little bit now, and have somewhere around 50 nickels that I have collected from other cachers. I'd like to ask you folks, what do you do with your collection? Right now I have them all sitting in a lock-n-lock. I have photographed each one, and posted them to my Photobucket. But I was thinking about making them more "presentable".

What I thought about was using the old slide pages (remember 35mm slides?) and slipping one coin into each pocket. Problem is, each page held 20 slides, so my 50-peice collection would only take up 2.5 pages. If I were to take an album like that to an event, 2 and a half pages of nickels doesn't really seem overly impressive. So... just thought I would get your take on it.

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR COLLECTED NICKELS??

You're on the right track, Boots.......

All I can say is keep on trading and your collection will grow. I've been at it at least 2 years and have collected almost 200 wooden nickels and poker chips, enough to fill 2 notebooks.

But like n8turgrl, I have pages of nickels mixed in with pages of geocoins, particularly ones I've traded for. Not so much that everybody gets to see the nickels, but to keep the notebooks from getting too heavy if they had just geocoins in them!!! :o

Now we have a nice discussion going here, it's about time. I like to hear everybody's ideas and steal one every so often. Let's keep it going. :o

Now it's time for some hints in my little cointest I have going, but that will be the next post............

I really like hearing what others do with there wooden nickel. It gives me great ideas. Right now

mine are all in a zip lock bags. I really need to get a book to put them in. What do I use and where

can I get one or two? I would like to be able to look at my collection more often and with out

"dumping" out my bag! Any help would be GREAT!

-Dardevle-

Thanks to everybody who is responding to our little geocoin cointest. I apologize to those of you who may not be into racing, but it's such a big part of our life and always has been. We do not race ourselves, but we like to watch and have been to quite a few tracks.

So I don't want to make this contest too difficult, but I want it to be fun. I like geocoin cointests that require you to dig a little, but not too far. And in return, you learn a little about the geocacher and where they live. So I'll try to be generous with my clues.

At least one of you has Justin's favorite driver right. I won't say who. One person's response to both questions shows that they may have been digging in the right place, I don't know. You're close, keep digging.

We like the "National Treasure" movies, don't we? Clues just lead you to more clues!!! :o

Start at our profile page and all the associated tabs at the top and start digging. The clue you dig for the most will be the most obvious, and the clue you have to dig for the least will be the hardest. That one is my favorite driver.

Does that make any sense? I know, I'm getting tired after working last night and getting way too goofy.

I'll post another clue tomorrow if it is needed.

I really like hearing what others do with there wooden nickel. It gives me great ideas. Right now

mine are all in a zip lock bags. I really need to get a book to put them in. What do I use and where

can I get one or two? I would like to be able to look at my collection more often and with out

"dumping" out my bag! Any help would be GREAT!

-Dardevle-

I get my 3-ring notebooks at Wal-Mart, the notebooks with the zipper aound the outside. Most office supply stores have them too.

I get my pages from Kelley's Coins. (www.coin-collecting-supplies.us) The 20 slots per page is just right for a 1 and 1/2 inch wooden nickel.

Ok, I think I got the cointest...

Justin is for Jeff Gordon, while your fave is Tony Stewart.

1. Tony Stewart

2. Jeff Gordon

Do I win?

OUCH! :o

Here's the rules -

1. Only one guess at both questions per cacher per day. More than one guess will disqualify you but only for that day, you can try again the next.

I almost jumped the gun too!

I Display our nickels in one notebook and geocoin in another (Slowdownracer is right about weight, lol) any ways I buy the baseball card protector sheets it has I think 16 slots, I then cut a 1/8 piece of foam I get from craft store, I then center nickel or coin and trace after which I use a x-acto knife to cut out. I then put nickel of coin in spot and slide into pocket. The last think I do is cut a sm. piece of velcro and attached to top of pocket so nickels and coins wont come out, unless you want them to. Thats how we keep ours together and carry them around to events. Everything can be bought at an office supply store or a craft store. I will try to post some pics this weekend.

1. Tony Stewart

2. Jeff Gordon

Do I win?

OUCH! :o

Here's the rules -

I almost jumped the gun too!

D'oh! My bad! I guess I got carried away.... Dang!

1. Tony Stewart

2. Jeff Gordon

Do I win?

Proper decorum within the geocoin forums would prohibit me from expessing my opinion about Tony Stewart. He stands out far and above all other drivers in this manner. He's a good driver, but I don't think there are any connections between his brain and his mouth.

:o

Thanks for the hints on storage. My wife and I are going to a Minnesota Twins Baseball

game on sunday so I'll be near a office supply store so I'll be able to stop in and check some

stuff out. Of coarse ther are a few bait stores with some cool Ice fishing jigs in the area too

so I gotta stop and get a few more jigs first. If I have money left then I'll stop by the office

supply store. :o

Yeah, I knew I should have posted the clue closer to midnite last night, but it was a busy night at work. Giving the clue after some of you made guesses earlier this morning was an unfair disadvantage to you.

Therefore, based on the new clue, I allow n8turgrl and dardevle a second guess for today.

Hey, it's my cointest, and it's my rules to bend. :o

Will I be as generous tomorrow? I better post my clue earlier than I did today.

My apologies to all Tony Stewart fans for my comment above. He strikes a nerve in me somewhere. :o

OK, I think I can safely guess that Justin is a Jeff Gordon fan (ewww), but I am having a hard time guessing between two potential candidates that meet all of the requirements that i have found for YOUR fave.

I am going to have to say that your fave driver is Sam Hornish Jr. But if I am wrong, someone else ought to have it figured out before I get another chance... Oh well. Here's hoping!

After I made my guess I looked into things and realized I just might have made the right guess.

I looked at the race for sunday and went from there. Is there just not as many cachers making

wooden nickels any more? I know I have traded a few but alot of the ones I have I find in caches.

Seems I got into trading nickels a little late. Kinda like the gold rush but with Wooden nickels. For those I

have traded with I thank you for the trades, for those I have not, WELL, lets trade! :lol::wub:

After I made my guess I looked into things and realized I just might have made the right guess.

I looked at the race for sunday and went from there. Is there just not as many cachers making

wooden nickels any more? I know I have traded a few but alot of the ones I have I find in caches.

Seems I got into trading nickels a little late. Kinda like the gold rush but with Wooden nickels. For those I

have traded with I thank you for the trades, for those I have not, WELL, lets trade! :lol::wub:

Im currently working on a wooden nickel for us, it not going as good as I'd like, but I'm getting there. Seems my artistic ability is challenged at times, LOL! Let ya know when I'm done and get one out to ya.

Im currently working on a wooden nickel for us, it not going as good as I'd like, but I'm getting there. Seems my artistic ability is challenged at times, LOL! Let ya know when I'm done and get one out to ya.

I'll have to look at my collection some time today but I think that we did trade

awhile back. But....I am all for new edditions. I also have a sig item that I make

out of a small slat of wood. Roughly 1 1/4x 2 1/4 inches. I burn a silly little design on

both sides. Let me know when you get yours done like you said and I'll trade ya for it!

-Dardevle-

have traded with I thank you for the trades, for those I have not, WELL, lets trade! :wub::lol:

I'll have to look at my collection some time today but I think that we did trade

awhile back. But....I am all for new edditions. I also have a sig item that I make

out of a small slat of wood. Roughly 1 1/4x 2 1/4 inches. I burn a silly little design on

both sides. Let me know when you get yours done like you said and I'll trade ya for it!

-Dardevle-

Yeah, it would be a new edition. I think you have my personal poker chip.

OK, I think we know who Justin's favorite driver is, but we don't know who mine is yet.

Please reply with both answers in the same post.

The final hint for my favorite driver -

SPEED runs in the family of my hometown hero. The fathers, the sons, the brothers, the uncles, the nephews, the cousins - they all have it.

That should just about do it. It's Sunday, enjoy the race. Hope my driver does well, he's got a long way to go.

Thanks everyone for playing. I'll verify the winner when I get one.

Well I thought I had it when I guessed Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon based on a TB race you had with Connecting Rods #20 and #24.

So...since someone has already guessed Dale Jr and Kyle Petty (those were my first two choices) i'll go with:

1. Michael Waltrip

2. Jeff Gordon

I've still got one more guess...too bad I missed out on guessing yesterday LOL I wasn't at home. <_<

Thanks for the cointest and if anyone hasn't traded wooden nickels with me and would like to, send me a PM. :unsure:

edited to include 2. Jeff Gordon as I left him off LOL

Edited by n8turgrl

Please reply with both answers in the same post.

The final hint for my favorite driver -

SPEED runs in the family of my hometown hero. The fathers, the sons, the brothers, the uncles, the nephews, the cousins - they all have it.

OK, one more hint, that's it. Unlimited guesses until someone gets it right.

My hometown is shown at the left. The most famous racecar driver in history lives there. His name appears at the end of my first signature line below. You see it every time you read one of my posts if you are logged in. You were looking at it all the time. My favorite Nascar driver is his nephew and has the same last name. He's in today's race.

Well, that should do it.

<_<

John Andretti 1

Jeff gordon 2

fingers crossed

NICE PICTURE! I don't think I have that one, but I have so many.

Yes, John is my favorite Nascar driver. Living in Nazareth most of my life, I have followed all the Andretti's, no matter what they have driven. And they've driven them all.

And yes, Jeff Gordon is Justin's favorite driver, but don't hold it against me.

Now I can sit and watch the race without worrying about my little cointest.

Geo.Error, please send me your address thru my profile e-mail address and I'll get the coin and patch out to you tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks to everyone for participating. You've learned a little about Justin and me, and we helped a few fellow wooden nickel collectors with their nickel storage problems. We need more activity like this in this thread and we just might attract some new traders.

;)