Wooden Nickel Trading

Ladycacher

Received mail today from:

GBOTS

MOOZER

BOMBERJOHN

Thank You!!!

Posting this picture just to share our personal collection so far, thought maybe it would be fun to see some different ones! We have lots of cards but didn't put them in this pic.

sig_collection-344x463.jpg

We're buying this really cool coffee table that is for sale at IKEA and it has a glass top with the inside all divided into areas to display whatever you like! If anyone else is interested in this we would be happy to send you the product # and weblink.

Can't wait to get some more items and be able to fill up the table!

GBOTS

MOOZER

BOMBERJOHN

Thank You!!!

Posting this picture just to share our personal collection so far, thought maybe it would be fun to see some different ones! We have lots of cards but didn't put them in this pic.

We're buying this really cool coffee table that is for sale at IKEA and it has a glass top with the inside all divided into areas to display whatever you like! If anyone else is interested in this we would be happy to send you the product # and weblink.

Hey, I see mine in there! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

GBOTS

MOOZER

BOMBERJOHN

Thank You!!!

Hey, I see mine in there! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think I see four of my old ones in there. Also the glass top coffee table sounds cool. If you could send a link to it I would like to check it out. Thanks

Happy New Year Everyone!

Our Wooden Nickel will be arriving next week!

We are willing to trade these for wooden nickels, tokens, coins, and other sig. items.

Please email us and we will be happy to trade with you.

Other than wooden nickels we also have 20 numbered handmade sig. tokens(only 13 left), which were made using mostly real foriegn currency coins which were ground down a bit then stamped. These are reserved for special trades! If you have a proposal, email us!

If you have nothing to trade look around we will be spreading the wooden nickels into caches. Later this year we are planning an event with some new caches and have reserved a couple of the tokens for this.

619052-400x171.jpg

This is the artwork for the wooden nickel

DSC00521-367x172.jpg

These are 2 examples of what the tokens look like

:) Look forward to hearing from you all soon! :unsure:

all the above arrived here in u.k. safe today

what a nice package you put together ....thank you

hope mine are recieved with as much pleasure..

b. :P

Hello! Got lots of mail yesterday. :P It is so nice to open the mail and see the great sig items and wooden nickels that all of you have. I received and send thanks to:

Summerandnana

ATMouse

Dist1

Mustache

Moozer

Crossorads Nomads

Thank you everyone that has made trades with me. If there is anyone else that wants to make a trade please take a look at our sig items at the following link:

http://chantal.bechervaise.googlepages.com/home

Thanks! :huh:

I have a couple of questions...

1) Would anyone be willing to share their source for blank wooden nickels? I've just had a couple of nice rubber stamps made so I can make some new wooden nickels, and I'd like to know where others get their blanks from. As a starter, I got 22 nickels for $3.00 at the local craft store. I know I can do better than that.

2) I'd also like the info on where to have poker chips made. (Special Ed made some for me awhile ago but I haven't seen him post here for awhile.) Could someone forward that info to me?

3) On a more sensitive note, has anyone else had any trouble with deadbeat traders? I have had about three trades arranged in the last few months where I've sent mine out but never received the nickel from them. I've sent a couple of reminder emails, but I've not had any response. I don't want to name names and I REALLY don't want to think badly of others because I know there could be any number of reasons. I was just wondering whether this is a real problem or if it's an isolated incident.

4) Anyone have any tips on how to get good close up photos of wooden nickels? My standard digital camera doesn't want to focus that close. How do others do it?

OK, answers to those questions ought to keep the thread alive for awhile...

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

--SirGerald

3) On a more sensitive note, has anyone else had any trouble with deadbeat traders? I have had about three trades arranged in the last few months where I've sent mine out but never received the nickel from them. I've sent a couple of reminder emails, but I've not had any response. I don't want to name names and I REALLY don't want to think badly of others because I know there could be any number of reasons. I was just wondering whether this is a real problem or if it's an isolated incident.

4) Anyone have any tips on how to get good close up photos of wooden nickels? My standard digital camera doesn't want to focus that close. How do others do it?

--SirGerald

On the subject of deadbeat traders, can't say I've much of a problem there. Maybe 1 time.

As for the closeup photo, must digital cameras have a macro mode. If you have a mode selector, look for a single flower icon. Otherwise, take a picture from as close as you can with the most zoom you can.

BomberJohn

Received a replacement from Crossroad Nomads ( Thank you!!!)and Pengo Family. Mailed a few out today,which should have been out already.(Weather got in the way)

As far as deadbeat trades.. maybe two or three, If they can live with it, I can live without it.If anyone hasn't gotten our trade,PLEASE contact us !! Still have a few to trade also... Team Moon Unit

1) Would anyone be willing to share their source for blank wooden nickels? I've just had a couple of nice rubber stamps made so I can make some new wooden nickels, and I'd like to know where others get their blanks from. As a starter, I got 22 nickels for $3.00 at the local craft store. I know I can do better than that.

2) I'd also like the info on where to have poker chips made. (Special Ed made some for me awhile ago but I haven't seen him post here for awhile.) Could someone forward that info to me?

OK, answers to those questions ought to keep the thread alive for awhile...

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

--SirGerald

I have had good luck with http://wooden-nickel.com/ :rolleyes:

Just wondering if the Dream cachers recieved my package I sent them? sent on Jan 17...

I'm still waiting on your package to arrive..

Sliver & Lucy,

We received your nickels around Jan 22, and they are really nice !

We're sorry if you have not received ours by now also!

We'll send another package out to you tomorrow. :rolleyes:

The Dream Cachers

Lets see what tomorrows mail brings in,

I'll keep you posted :o

Thanks for your response,, glad you recieved ours :huh:

Is anyone willing to trade for things other than wooden nickels? I just came up with these this morning. Each one is unique. They are ready to be hung on just about anything.

littlefairyKisses.jpg

Those are so cool! I have a Blue Moon Stone and a Moon Stone that we put in caches for the Tribe sig items.

MoonStones.jpg

Email on the way.

Lummieh

--SirGerald

On the subject of deadbeat traders, can't say I've much of a problem there. Maybe 1 time.

As for the closeup photo, must digital cameras have a macro mode. If you have a mode selector, look for a single flower icon. Otherwise, take a picture from as close as you can with the most zoom you can.

BomberJohn

Yes, the macro mode worked for the hubby. I was having problems taking pictures of our wooden nickels and he figured it out for me. :)

Edited by smilingsteeles

I almost hesitate to post this here because, honestly, I'm really not that interested in getting involved in mailing/trading my nickels as a hobby … I simply do not have the time. However, I do collect sig-items and enjoy trading for them face-to-face or finding them in caches. I think having signature items that you've found in the wild or from people you know personally makes them a little more special. That's just me I guess. Does that make me a wooden nickel snob / purist?

ANYWAY ... I do like to share my work with others. I made my signature nickels myself. I have a 2006 edition (all gone, sorry) and a 2007 edition. I call them the "WMC JUMBO WOODEN NICKELS".

Here is the recipe:

1) Buy 2” diameter wooden blanks from a website like bearwoods.com. I purchased mine in bulk …. 300 blanks.

2) Purchase a 1.75” diameter seal stamp from a website like iprint.com … you can upload a custom graphic to it, but make sure the graphic is “stamp friendly”!!!

3) Purchase 1 2/3” diameter round laser Avery labels and have access to a color laser printer. Label number 5293 to be specific. They come 600 labels to a package.

4) Create a graphic in Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and copy it to the Word template for that label. The Avery labels come 24 to a sheet. Print a bunch out.

Doing it this way I got my cost per jumbo nickel down to $0.28 each. Obviously, the next time I buy 300 blanks, my cost per nickel will decrease since I already have the stamp and labels in hand. The BIG PLUS in my mind of doing it this way is 1) I have creative control over my nickels and can change the design whenever and as often as I like … I just need to print more labels!! … and 2) The 2” diameter JUMBO size really makes them stand out amongst their peers which are typically 1” to 1 2/3” diameter. They have been well received. I’ve even made some commemorative “You Found It!” nickels for some of my caches to be taken as souvenirs for the finders.

Let me know what you think. Really …. I’m not interested in getting involved in mailing a bunch of these all over the country as a hobby, but if you feel these are a MUST HAVE for your collection, I will set aside TEN of them and will mail them on a first come, first serve basis. If you want to trade, I really prefer home-made signature items over signature items that you order and have somebody else make for you (sorry … I guess that DOES makes me a sig-item snob.) Please allow some time for delivery ... it may take me a few weeks to make the time to package everything. I'm currently working on my dissertation proposal defense, so time is at a premium for me. Thanks!

Matt

Here’s the picture of the 2006 (none left) and 2007 edition. Don't let the numbers fool you, they are not trackable ... yet ... though I do plan on putting something in place for tracking this year.

2006 Edition ... sorry none left to trade

eccce34b-dbeb-4afe-9c4a-28ef4ec627c1.jpg

2007 Edition ... I'll set aside ten for trade if you REALLY must have one :)

cd6bd81c-d3b2-439e-b4ac-34a400d9551f.jpg

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

I almost hesitate to post this here because, honestly, I'm really not that interested in getting involved in mailing/trading my nickels as a hobby … I simply do not have the time. However, I do collect sig-items and enjoy trading for them face-to-face or finding them in caches. I think having signature items that you've found in the wild or from people you know personally makes them a little more special. That's just me I guess. Does that make me a wooden nickel snob / purist?

ANYWAY ... I do like to share my work with others. I made my signature nickels myself. I have a 2006 edition (all gone, sorry) and a 2007 edition. I call them the "WMC JUMBO WOODEN NICKELS".

Here is the recipe:

1) Buy 2” diameter wooden blanks from a website like bearwoods.com. I purchased mine in bulk …. 300 blanks.

2) Purchase a 1.75” diameter seal stamp from a website like iprint.com … you can upload a custom graphic to it, but make sure the graphic is “stamp friendly”!!!

3) Purchase 1 2/3” diameter round laser Avery labels and have access to a color laser printer. Label number 5293 to be specific. They come 600 labels to a package.

4) Create a graphic in Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and copy it to the Word template for that label. The Avery labels come 24 to a sheet. Print a bunch out.

Doing it this way I got my cost per jumbo nickel down to $0.28 each. Obviously, the next time I buy 300 blanks, my cost per nickel will decrease since I already have the stamp and labels in hand. The BIG PLUS in my mind of doing it this way is 1) I have creative control over my nickels and can change the design whenever and as often as I like … I just need to print more labels!! … and 2) The 2” diameter JUMBO size really makes them stand out amongst their peers which are typically 1” to 1 2/3” diameter. They have been well received. I’ve even made some commemorative “You Found It!” nickels for some of my caches to be taken as souvenirs for the finders.

Let me know what you think. Really …. I’m not interested in getting involved in mailing a bunch of these all over the country as a hobby, but if you feel these are a MUST HAVE for your collection, I will set aside TEN of them and will mail them on a first come, first serve basis. If you want to trade, I really prefer home-made signature items over signature items that you order and have somebody else make for you (sorry … I guess that DOES makes me a sig-item snob.) Please allow some time for delivery ... it may take me a few weeks to make the time to package everything. I'm currently working on my dissertation proposal defense, so time is at a premium for me. Thanks!

Matt

Here’s the picture of the 2006 (none left) and 2007 edition. Don't let the numbers fool you, they are not trackable ... yet ... though I do plan on putting something in place for tracking this year.

2006 Edition ... sorry none left to trade

2007 Edition ... I'll set aside ten for trade if you REALLY must have one :)

You got mail :)

American Woodcraft Supply

Don't know if it will be cheaper, but I like this company - honest, quick, good product.

It happens. I PM and email and if I get no response, I shrug my shoulders and just move on. Life's too short.

Edited by ATMouse

Hello! Got lots of mail yesterday. :lol: It is so nice to open the mail and see the great sig items and wooden nickels that all of you have. I received and send thanks to:

Summerandnana

ATMouse

Dist1

Mustache

Moozer

Crossorads Nomads

Thank you everyone that has made trades with me. If there is anyone else that wants to make a trade please take a look at our sig items at the following link:

http://chantal.bechervaise.googlepages.com/home

Thanks! ;)

And I received yours today. What a lovely item! Thank you.