More On Rural Cachers

This one is really for the rural cachers out there.

What percentage of caches within 25 miles of home are yours?

For me: There are 20 caches and 16 of them are mine for - 84%

Two of the other 4 are all from cachers that I intoduced to caching.

Take mine away the area looks pretty grim. I have about 8 more planned sometime in the near future.

We have 45 active caches within 25 miles of our house - 47% of those are ours. Thankfully our caches have boosted this area up to one of the most cache dense areas in the entire state! ;)

Of the caches we don't own, more are owned by cachers that do not cache anymore or live out of state. Extend the radius to 50 miles and we have even more caches from out-of-state cachers named Starbrand. :D However, all that being said - there is a lot more caching activity here now than compared to one year ago (We found our first cache August 1, 2004 so I remember the climate well.) Living in this rural of an area does make it hard to get geocaching off the ground. We took about 9 months to get our first find after signing up on the site and the biggest reason was it was depressing to only see 7 caches we could go to within 50 miles of our house when we first signed up.

We have 45 active caches within 25 miles of our house - 47% of those are ours. Thankfully our caches have boosted this area up to one of the most cache dense areas in the entire state! ;)

Of the caches we don't own, more are owned by cachers that do not cache anymore or live out of state. Extend the radius to 50 miles and we have even more caches from out-of-state cachers named Starbrand. :D However, all that being said - there is a lot more caching activity here now than compared to one year ago (We found our first cache August 1, 2004 so I remember the climate well.) Living in this rural of an area does make it hard to get geocaching off the ground. We took about 9 months to get our first find after signing up on the site and the biggest reason was it was depressing to only see 7 caches we could go to within 50 miles of our house when we first signed up.

Somebody had to get them out there. :)

I graduated from NCHS in '84, Lived in Lusk for 5 years, graduated from UW and my wife's father still lives in Casper. Make it up that way 2 - 3 times a year and across the border a bit closer 8 - 9 times a year. Still have season tickets to War Memorial. I consider myself more Cowboy than Cornhusker.

Take mine away the area looks pretty grim. I have about 8 more planned sometime in the near future.

There are 125 caches within 25 miles of my home 30 are mine and 24 are my son's. When we started there were 5 caches within 25 miles. Glad to see the sport growing and getting new blood and new ideas for cache hides. ;)

This one is really for the rural cachers out there....

I don't really understand what you mean by rural cacher. Although I live and own 3 caches in an urban area (that's .68% within a 25 mile radius of my home coordinates), nearly all of my finds are rural.

70% of my owned caches are more than 40 miles from my home.

50% of my owned (adopted) caches are more than 1,800 miles from my home; all five of them are rated Difficulty 5.

So I'm still not clear on what you mean by rural cacher. ;):laughing:

I'd think the point was about living in an area where there are relatively few caches/cachers so that your own caching in the area made up a sizeable portion of what is available in your area. Out in this part of the world there is not one single city with a population greater than 60,000 within a 200 mile radius of my house. Using the law of averages of how many caches exist per 100,000 people it stands that there are less caches to choose from in this area.

sept1c_tank, you seem to be more the exception than the rule in that you prefer and choose to place caches a decent distance away from your home. There isn't anything wrong with that but I think Starbrand's key line in the OP is the comment that if his own caches all went away there would be a significant change in the caching environment in Western Nebraska. Now look at your own caches - if the 3 you have in the urban area dissappeared one night, would the cachers in your area notice? Now compare it to the ones you place away from home - would the cachers that frequent those areas the most notice if all of those caches dissappeared one night? The results are likely very different ;)

I don't really understand what you mean by rural cacher. Although I live and own 3 caches in an urban area (that's .68% within a 25 mile radius of my home coordinates), nearly all of my finds are rural.

50% of my owned (adopted) caches are more than 1,800 miles from my home; all five of them are rated Difficulty 5.

So I'm still not clear on what you mean by rural cacher. ;):laughing:

To me, rural means you have to drive more than 25 miles to get to the nearest grocery store, so you stock up and keep a full pantry because there is no quick run to the store to get the ingredients to make that manicotti somebody had a craving for. :laughing:

There are 13 within the 25 mile radius and that is with all three of mine, so if I did my math right, that puts it at a tad over 23%. Before I placed mine, the nearest one was over 15 miles away. There are MANY dead zones in my area, but I am trying to work on them! Just have to keep looking for the right spots.

So I'm still not clear on what you mean by rural cacher. :blink::rolleyes:

I agree! Dosn't sound like many of the responses live in areas I would consider rural. What you are getting is what percentage of the local caches have you placed.

I have 63 within 25 miles, which is the lowest number I've seen posted, and 8 are mine. However, I live very near Penn State University which I would not consider rural at all.

Why would anyone hide caches much farther than 25 miles from their home coordinates? Maintenance becomes much more difficult. <_<

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus
I have 63 within 25 miles, which is the lowest number I've seen posted, and 8 are mine. However, I live very near Penn State University which I would not consider rural at all.

Why would anyone hide caches much farther than 25 miles from their home coordinates? Maintenance becomes much more difficult. :rolleyes:

Ummmm 3 things

1 - rural (in this threads context) means lives in a sparsely populated area.

2 - the OP and KKTH both have lower total caches with 25 miles

3 - I have caches upwards of 175 miles away but I regularly get out and around the area and it is VERY sparsely populated - all my hides are in west nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. Combined total population of around 200,000 in an area as big as many larger states.

I live near the middle coast of Texas (Victoria) and we have 34 caches within 25 miles.

25 are micros, 8 are regular, and 1 is a virtual. I've hidden 6 of those. Three micros, and three regular caches. I started around the 1st of April of this year. Then there was only 8. 4 micros, 4 regulars. ( two of those are now disabled) So things are picking up around here.

Charles

If I negate the caches on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay (12.5 miles away, but necessitating a mimimum 100+ mile drive), there are 12 caches withing a 25 mile range from my home. Of those 12, 5 are mine. Extend that to 35 miles, and there are 22 caches, of which 9 are mine.

6 caches total within 25 miles of my home. One is mine, for a %'age of 17.

Working on my second hide, a multi.

<edit:> Not counting temporarily disabled caches, that's 4 total within 25 miles of my house. Within 25 miles of 30458, there are 7 total.

Edited by Paulcet

There are 154 caches within 25 mile radius of my home. Of those, I've placed 38...hmmm...interesting.

Though we're midway (more or less) between two large metro areas, the caching community here is quite small. It's been a nice way to meet new friends, though. Some of those I've introduced to caching are now avidly placing caches. (thank heavens! I'm almost out of ammo cans!)