The Fear Of Puzzle Caches

Why is it that when a lot of geocachers see that a cache is a puzzle, they automatically think it's too hard. At a recent CITO event, I was talking with another cacher who has placed some very easy puzzles. Even though a puzzle only requires a short search online to solve, people assume it's too hard. Below are 2 caches that aren't hard at all, but have very few logs.

What I want to know is, is there anything that can be done to make more geocachers go for puzzle caches?

Literature Notes

- 6 finds

Not Again (aka the Sandwich Cache)

- 7 finds

I wouldn't think so...people either like puzzles or they don't. I personally do, but if someone just likes to be told where a box is so they can go try to find it, and they enjoy that, then there you are.

The only other possibility I can think of is a person who stays away from puzzlers because they are intimidated by them, but then they try and solve an easy one and discover they like it and want to do more. Even then, there's not much you can do except put "Please try this one - it's easy" on your cache page. But you can't make them decide to try unless they decide that for themselves.

If the goal is to get lots of people to your cache, then I guess it might be wiser to avoid puzzles (or multis also, as I just heard on a different thread). If the goal is give people a good puzzle, then you could just be happy with the "select few" that enjoy your cache and the puzzle that led them there.

I understand the temptation to say "They don't know what they're missing", but maybe they do. So different strokes, etc... I'll figure out the things I enjoy and do them, and trust others will do the same. That whole pursuit of happiness thing, I suppose.

Most of the time, I just download a PQ and go. I usually don't even look at the cache pages until Im about ready to leave. If there happens to be a puzzle cache in the area where I'm headed, I will usually skip it that day and go back to it once I get around to solving it.

I just don't like puzzle caches. I like to get out and discover new places. But then again I don't even like crossword puzzles or word searches - never have enjoyed them even one bit.

The fun to me is the hunt for the cache not the hunt for the coordinates of the cache.

But to each his own.......

Not everyone was into puzzles before they started geocaching (me). I do more puzzle work now because of geocaching, but it's not fun as much as the only way to get some nearby caches found. Hard/easy isn't the issue, it's just not my idea of fun, and I expect that 's true of the majority of non-puzzlers. If I never see another exotic font, that would be fine by me.

Have done puzzle caches and really enjoyed them. Have passed on many, I am driven away by the cryptic nature of some. Some appear written in code or appear for a close circle of local friends who share the puzzles . . . almost age or area specific.

Saw several that took info from movies (ie: H. Potter) or other sources that mean nada to me, I won't go see the movie or read a book to find a cache. But, this is ME, others may get great joy from these (the find logs speak).

Do more puzzle caches, they can be fun!

I've placed 2 puzzle caches and I was initially disappointed in the number of finds. One has been out since January and it has, I believe, less than 10 finds.

I eventually came to greatly enjoy the log entries. Hardly a TNLNTFTC cache among them.

Sadly both are temporarily archived right now, I'll have them both back soon, hopefully within a month, but due to circumstances beyond my control. Cube Root of 39.304 had a mechanical failure of the cache container itself, I've got to get that fixed, and 80 Feet of Waterline Nicely Making Way had other issues, issues that will clear up in about 2 to 4 weeks.

So, as a puzzle hider, yes, the quantity of logs has disappointed me, but the quality has really made me happy.

With that said, the next hide will not but a puzzle, but it will still be of great difficulty. I think I can place a large (smoke grenade) ammo can in a muggle infested urban area!

Paul

I've hidden a good number of puzzle caches, but I'm not usually too wild about expending much effort to solve other people's hides (though if they're sitting on top of my nearest list I'll usually get around to it).

I do most of my caching outside of my "local" area, so when I go caching I'll usually just run a query a couple days in advance. That doesn't give me time to read through and attempt to solve any of the puzzle caches, so I generally filter them out. I'd rather invest my time in enjoying the outdoors and finding caches instead of sitting at my desk with a calculator and an internet connection. I spend enough time doing that at work already. :rolleyes:

Why is it that when a lot of geocachers see that a cache is a puzzle, they automatically think it's too hard.

Quite the opposite. When I see a puzzle cache, I often think the puzzle was used as an excuse for an otherwise undistinguished cache.

It could also be the reverse -- someone had an idea for a good puzzle and used a less interesting location for the cache, saving the interesting locations for traditional caches. That's how I tend to think.

I've been baffled at the lack of hits on a cache I placed two weeks ago. I'm wondering if it's because it's designated as "Unknown". The only reason it's designated that way is that there's no container at the posted coordinates (the approver told me this is the proper designation in such a case). It's not hard at all, just numbers off a plaque. I only did it this way to start the finders at a specific spot. But I'm wondering if people are seeing "Unknown" and just ignoring it (on the other hand, maybe it's the warnings about bugs).

Quite the opposite. When I see a puzzle cache, I often think the puzzle was used as an excuse for an otherwise undistinguished cache.

Is there really a problem with this? There was a park I wanted to place a cache in, but the only secure and durable hiding place I could find was rather trite in geocaching terms. Thus I added a simple puzzle requiring users to find the city's date of incorporation to calculate the final coordinates. I did this to make the hunt a little more rewarding. So in my case, yes, the puzzle was used as an excuse for an otherwise undistinguished cache. I didn't want people to hunt the cache and say "That's it?" after finding it. So because of my puzzle, it is now somewhat distinguished. And the logs for this cache have proven more interesting than the logs for any of my other traditional caches.

A Date at Summerhill (GCPHAJ)

The Fear Of Puzzle Caches

I saw the subject line and thought to myself... I wonder if there is a documented Phobia of puzzles. The best I could come up with was Atychiphobia or fear of failure? Or maybe its Arithmophobia fear of numbers?

I have to admit that I only go after puzzles caches when my wife and daughter are with me. They both love puzzles of any kind and my son and I don't. I think their brains have developed differently than mine.

Roy

Why is it that when a lot of geocachers see that a cache is a puzzle, they automatically think it's too hard.

It could also be the reverse -- someone had an idea for a good puzzle and used a less interesting location for the cache, saving the interesting locations for traditional caches. That's how I tend to think.

*nod* that's where our puzzle cache came from. We had a nice spot but a straight cache would have been a 1/1, and there's plenty of those around. I like making puzzles, and I like solving them. I'm not offended if my cache doesn't get regular weekend traffic.

What I want to know is, is there anything that can be done to make more geocachers go for puzzle caches?

No.

I'm guilty as charged. I'm sure many others are like me. Put it on the side of a mountain, in the middle of a swamp or make it a 5 mile hike, I'm there, but If I see a puzzle cache, it goes to the back of my list. Doesn't matter how easy it is.

I guess its in part because I spend most of my waking hours thinking (about all kinds of stuff, some of which might scare you if you knew) so when I get out into the woods to hunt a cache, its to clear my head. Give me the coords and let GPS lead me there, but don't make me think.

I love puzzle caches.

When last year we decided we were going to New Orleans I looked up caches in the area and zeroed in immediately on the two puzzle caches in the entire area. I solved coordinates for both within an hour and was hooked. I had to wait a full month before I got there to test them out (turns out the hide was much tougher than the puzzle) and became a lucky logger of one of them. The second we passed by and I pointed out to my wife how perfect the hide area was but she was not in a caching mood so we had to let that one go.

Anyway, we own both of the puzzle caches in our area and by checking out the stats of Disc Discovery and DON'T PANIC: #15 - Heart Of Gold

it appears these are my two least favorite caches to attempt. It can be a bit dissappointing, but I do believe the ones that attempt these caches in the spirit of the cache will enjoy the experience more than a standard park and hide.

Quite the opposite.  When I see a puzzle cache, I often think the puzzle was used as an excuse for an otherwise undistinguished cache.

Is there really a problem with this? There was a park I wanted to place a cache in, but the only secure and durable hiding place I could find was rather trite in geocaching terms.

No, no problem at all. But not every potential location needs a cache just 'cause "we want to hide one there." I do think that it would be better for geocaching if cache hiders were more discriminating in selecting locations.

Edited by Yankees Win!

We've tried a couple of things:

-In our "Something for Everyone" four-part multicache, we included an optional puzzle that would allow the finder to skip the first three parts of the multi and go straight to the final. This way, the page icon is a 3.gif, so the people who normally won't even open up a 8.gif cache page were at least exposed to the puzzle, even if they chose not to do it. (Unfortunately we didn't realize that a lot of the people who skip puzzles are the same ones who skip multis.) I think only three people have found it with the puzzle method.

-We created a puzzle based on haiku poems about popular movies ("Seventeen Thumbs Up"). It's more of a fun activity to solve rather than something that hurts your brain or feels like homework. We thought maybe it might tempt non-puzzle-cachers to at least try one. Most people would be able to identify at least 80% of the movies immediately, which would be a good confidence-booster; there are a few semi-obscure ones but they can be easily Googled. (Plus it was a lot of fun to write the haikus :lol:)

Maybe one reason that people skip puzzles is that many of them give no hint at all as to where to begin. (We have one like that, but the two mentioned above give explicit instructions about how to go about determining the coordinates.) Another reason could be that often there is no way to confirm whether you have the correct coordinates, and people might be reluctant to drive 10 or 20 miles only to find they're in the wrong place entirely. We've put confirmation-checksums on a couple of ours to try to eliminate that problem. (This probably would undermine the puzzler-creator's intent on those puzzles that are supposed to be really difficult, but it's reasonable to consider if you're trying to lure non-puzzle-cachers into trying one. You could add the coord-confirmation later, if you want the FTF to do it the hard way.)

Mount Emma Mystery Cache

Some appear written in code or appear for a close circle of local friends who share the puzzles . . . almost age or area specific.

Very true.

Saw several that took info from movies (ie: H. Potter) or other sources that mean nada to me, I won't go see the movie or read a book to find a cache. But, this is ME, others may get great joy from these (the find logs speak).

I'll be damned if I'm going to read a book like the "Davinci Code" to solve a puzzle.

I have three puzzle caches that I put the most effort into. To captivate geocachers, each of the three puzzle requires you to take a tour of my area, collecting clues, while finding traditional caches.

They were far from uninspired.

Fox Den Mystery Multi

Mount Emma Mystery Cache

Out Foxed

Well, time will tell hwo the locals like my latest two caches, but my last cache placed in Vegas got off to a great start, then kinda faded away....I may have to go over to the NevadaGeocaching website and stir it back up again :lol:

Oh, its THIS cache, BTW. THe puzzle is that you need to find a certain TB, then decode the markings on it to get the final coords.

Edited by VegasCacheHounds

Not much, really. Personally, I enjoy mind-bender code-type puzzles. Google search puzzles don't do it for me - usually there's way too much info returned to sift through, and often times web sites have conflicting information, so which do you use? Some of my favorite puzzle caches do require the internet, but not google specifically.

Two of my favorites:

Muggle Free Cache

Llama Corner: Revisted

And one I hid that seems to either be figured out almost immediately, or takes people days:

The Clairmont Treasure

Some locals really enjoy the puzzles, others don't. I think it depends on the amount of time people have to work on them. I get a real sense of satisfaction knowing that I was able to break a code - especially if I'm one of the first to do it, with little or no help. All the caches above contain codes, so I guess that's my thing. There are so many types of puzzles, you'll never find one type that will please everyone. Try hiding a different type of puzzle cache, maybe you'll get more interest. You just need to figure out what your local cachers like.

The thrill for me of puzzle caches is the variety of forms they can take. There's certain types that don't do much for me, though --- like any other type of caches, you can't satisfy anyone.

I wish we had a separate category for the "read a bunch of stuff off the markers to get the coordinates" or "visit 5 caches and get the info from inside" puzzles. To me these are more of multi-caches or offsets than true puzzles, because you KNOW exactly what to do. With a good puzzle, you may not know how to solve it at first glance.

I don't necessarily mind the "Google-search" subset of puzzles, if I've actually learned something new and/or useful; if I'm forced to look up minutiae about Pauly Shore movies or the 1974 Chrysler LeBaron, I'll likely to be less impressed.

Puzzle caches are my favorite now. Plug and go caches are mostly routine now. (There are exceptions) I am thinking of making all of my future caches puzzles to make them interesting. To answer the OP's question, you can't make people do anything in this hobby they are not inclined to do. If I set out puzzle caches, I expect the number of visitors to go down and the quality of logs to go up. We all get to play our own way.

To answer the OP's question, you can't make people do anything in this hobby they are not inclined to do. If I set out puzzle caches, I expect the number of visitors to go down and the quality of logs to go up. We all get to play our own way.

I agree with you. But it would be so amusing if people wrote their logs in unique, barely decipherable codes of their own creation just to increase the joy of the cache owner even more. :lol:<_<:unsure:

Why is it that when a lot of geocachers see that a cache is a puzzle, they automatically think it's too hard. At a recent CITO event, I was talking with another cacher who has placed some very easy puzzles. Even though a puzzle only requires a short search online to solve, people assume it's too hard. Below are 2 caches that aren't hard at all, but have very few logs.

Literature Notes

- 6 finds

Not Again (aka the Sandwich Cache)

- 7 finds

I saw this thread the other day, but was too busy caching to reply. :rolleyes:

I think the answer is that some people's brains are just different. Some people can do puzzles, others cannot. I'm not sure it is a "learning disability." I don't know what it is exactly.

When I look at a puzzle cache page, it is as if there is a lacuna in that part of my brain. <_< It didn't take too long to figure out it was simply too painful to look at things I couldn't comprehend, so I set up my PQs to leave out all the puzzle caches . . . and that includes even the really easy ones . . . :blink:

I like multi's where you are at a location and you have to do a little bit of math involving the scenery to get to the next point, like Whose zoo? but I think puzzles like the sandwich one that you posted was to hard for me...of course I didn't spend a lot of time looking either. I think my biggest problem is the fact that I'm a little bit slow

Edited by wreckelite

I live in an area where only puzzle caches can fill up a Pocket Query. There's a great variety of styles: math/physics, music, literature, cryptography, history, interesting facts, pure logic, etc, etc, etc. Most of them are very creative, and quite rewarding to solve regardless of difficulty.

I think the key to enjoying them is not necessarily intelligence, but the willingness to learn something new and the ability to change one's perspective. In most cases, the solution contains the latitude and longitude nearby, either by numbers or by letters, which is a clue in itself already.

In our area, some of the best caches are puzzle caches, rewarding the effort with an elegant solution and/or themed location/container. If people create puzzles "just to make up for mediocre location" here, then they get frowned upon pretty quickly. :rolleyes:

The nail has pretty much been hit on the head; Some folks like puzzles, some don't. It's a personal preference, and the beauty of Geocaching...there's something for everyone.

For me personally it's not that I dislike the puzzles, or am incapable of doing them, I just usually prefer not to. I tend to get frustrated very easily, and don't like to ask for help. So I usually burn myself out trying to figure out a puzzle. Some of the puzzles around my neck of the woods require some specific knowledge, and some good guessing on how to apply said knowledge. Some of them explain the knowledge needed, some don't. I've done a few of them, and it was good because I didn't previously have the aforementioned knowledge, but I learned something from it. I guess I like learning, but I don't like the learning process.

I usually save the puzzles for a rainy day when there's not much else to do, and when there's plenty of time to finish the puzzle all at once. I don't want to lie awake at night trying to figure out the puzzle. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth below is a sampling of the puzzles around here.

Regz Fan III

Encrypted Cache

The Bit Bucket (now archived)

The Hex

Dan's Venn Diagram This is more of a multi than a puzzle.

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Here's The Beef

Jeff's Puzzle #1

Jeff's Puzzle #2

5r3bmuN y8 gn1tn14P

. . . I think the key to enjoying them is not necessarily intelligence, but the willingness to learn something new and the ability to change one's perspective.  In most cases, the solution contains the latitude and longitude nearby, either by numbers or by letters, which is a clue in itself already.

In our area, some of the best caches are puzzle caches, rewarding the effort with an elegant solution and/or  themed location/container. If people create puzzles "just to make up for mediocre location" here, then they get frowned upon pretty quickly.  :rolleyes:

But, but, but . . . what if you look at the puzzle cache page and just don't have a clue. :lol:

For people who can do puzzles, it is probably hard to comprehend that some people's brains simply don't work that way . . . <_<

Puzzle Cache = icon_smile_question.gif = :blink: = :lol: = headache = ignore = headache gone :lol:

I like the idea someone said a while ago about creating a multi-cache with a puzzle option. I think I'll do that on my next puzzle. I'll have the first waypoint way out into nowhere, and the cache within .1 miles of parking.

I already know where I can put it. Thanks for the responses.

I have a Brain vs Brawn puzzle cache, where the 'fake coords' are actually stage 1 of a two stage multi with a code word that will get you the coords to the final stage. Stage 1 is about a 10+ mile (round trip) cache and is a bison capsule hidden in the woods. For the brainy types, they can just solve the puzzle and go to the driveup final stage. :lol:

As far as puzzles go, there are so many new caches popping up around me, I've taken to just filtering out the unsolved puzzles in GSAK and only solving the ones that people tell me are cool. I never see the rest of them.

--Marky

Figuring out and placing my own puzzle caches is a lot of fun. I'll do local puzzles but not when I'm traveling unless the puzzle is fairly straightforward. I just don't want to risk wasting the time when there are plenty of regular caches to chase after.

I happen to love puzzle caches, but only ones that make me use my head for something other than a hat rack. I don't like those that require esoteric knowledge, like "Who played Mr. Bugglesworth in 'Cat Dance Fancy?'"

I have placed three puzzle caches, and none of them requires any internet footwork. Two are based on linguistics, the third is rooted in logic (not math, mind you). The people who have done them enjoyed them immensely. I can live with this; I feel I'm playing to a different audience.

Some folks like to think. Some folks like to bungee-jump. Puzzle caches are aimed at a specific group of people, just like scuba caches. Only those qualified need to apply.

Figuring out and placing my own puzzle caches is a lot of fun. I'll do local puzzles but not when I'm traveling unless the puzzle is fairly straightforward. I just don't want to risk wasting the time when there are plenty of regular caches to chase after.

The first puzzle cache we did was on vacation. We knew where we were going and I took a preview of what kind of caches were available. I found a grand total of 2 puzzle caches in the entire New Orleans area and had the coordinates solved for both within an hour. Instead of the starting coordinates, I had the solved coordinates stored in our GPSr. It played out like any other plug and go cache - I just did a small amount of prep work in advance.

Of the two, one of them we did manage to do amongst a plethora of other caches in City Park, but the other was located in Metarie - a town we drove through daily between our base in Kenner and N.O. we were visiting. One of the days the solved coordinates popped up as being the closest cache and just looking in the direction I could tell it was the most PERFECT location for the theme of the cache. Sadly the non-geocachers with me at the time insisted on getting back to Kenner ASAP and the geocaching was not allowed. We had to head back home the next day and that cache was never found :D

Well, if for any reason I ever end up in New orleans again I will likely track that cache down. Hopefully by then that area will have more than 2 puzzle caches available and I'll have others of the type to do as well.

What I want to know is, is there anything that can be done to make more geocachers go for puzzle caches?...

I have several puzzle caches that are relatively easy. Some work is involved, but it isn't rocket science. They don't get found as often as my conventional caches, but there seems to be plenty of interest.

A lot of puzzle caches are just too goldarned difficult.

Paynes Pain

That's one near abouts that I just don't get. I assume it's in binary? But, I just passed it up to do the what appeared to me easier caches.

Any suggestions?

I've done a few others that were pretty straight forward, either substitution or math that were fun to find the bits of info at the locations. These others, well I guess I just need some more time to tinker with them.

I'm not afraid of puzzles, I am just terrible at the offbeat ones. If it isn't a math puzzle or a fairly simple cipher puzzle, I get lost. I have seen some that I don't even have a clue where to begin. Since I don't recognize what I am even looking at, I can't google it to try to learn more. I suppose that I ought to get a good book to learn about these more eclectic puzzles. Any recommendations for reading materials on puzzles that go beyond math/cipher?

Well, I no longer own any unfound caches - after DON'T PANIC #15 - Heart of Gold was found this weekend. I got a email friday night from a cacher asking me to check the coordinates and since they were correct I had to do a quick early morning maintenence visit to be sure the cache was OK before they found it. It was just fine but more importantly I decided the terrain was just way to soft for what is really required for this cache. It probably is the closest thing to a 5/5 in the area but is far from impossible as A) it was indeed solved and :laughing: I was able to place it and check on it without dying.

As to the OP - well, my other puzzle cache which could be solved by a dyslexic primate reamins my least popular cache for others to find. My wife has literally a dozen puzzle caches ready to implement, but if we don't see the favorable response of people wishing to find these caches we will be forced to either shelve them or hide them in Loveland, CO where family resides. At least it would provide an alternative to a Tahosa mountain cache!