Geko 101

Ozbods

Hi everyone.

I've been caching for a couple of months now. Getting on just fine. One of my nephews (9) is eager to get into it too, but he doesn't live local so he's looking for his own gpsr. I've been thinking about getting him a geko 101 for his birthday, I know it sounds a bit tight since they're the cheapest gpsr on the market but we can't go crazy. Basically, is the Geko 101 sufficent for basic caching. I'm guessing the answer is going to be 'yes' but i wanted to check that there aren't any fundamental flaws to using it for geocaching.

Thanks folks.

I used the Geko 101 and I liked it for geocaching. You have to enter the coordinates in your self. I did not know if I was going to like to like geo cache and I did not want to put a lot into it if it was a sport that I did not like. I gave my geko to my sister when I upgraded to the garmin Vista. And at the time it fit in my buget. I found a lot of caches with it ...just my .02

The only issue with the Geko 101 is that it doesn't have PC connectivity. If you're semi serious about geocaching that can be an issue, but for a 9 year old who isn't going to be out there finding a dozen caches a day, its perfect.

The Lowrance iFinder Go and Go 2 are also good choices in the low end price range. They also have the no PC hookup issue. They get better reception than the Geko, but the Geko is a lot easier to use.

I just started caching myself. I was able to find a Geko 201 at Frys for $60. It was a demo and the box was missing. They weren't sure what came with it, so they threw in the PC cable. I think its fine to start with. I want a fancier one, but the one I have, I've found 60 caches with!

Add:

The PC connectivity is a must for me!

Edited by MustangJoni

I got the Geko 101 as a gift a while back, and got turned on to caching shortly after. I like it - it's simple, easy, and I don't mind typing in the coords myself. Then again, you don't have to type them in at all, just read the "current position" and figure out what direction to go in (more West, less North, etc.)

I like it plenty, and feel no need to upgrade at all. Plus, it's basically waterproof and semi-shock resistant.

I like my Geko. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my husband's GPS 72 has, but it is good enough for me. It is small and fits my hand better, too. Having to put in the coords myself is not biggie. Half the time I am leaving work with only an idea of where I want to go and the pages printed from the computer at work, anyway.

Look at the Gecko 201 or eTrex yellow. Both let you connect to a PC.

If the kid is going to stuff the GPS in his drawer even the Gecko 101 is too much. However if he's going to use it, it won't be long before he's downloading every cache within 100 miles into that GPS. Then he will be glad he's got a cable.

Ignoring the Cable issue, the Gecko 101 is perfectly good for finding a cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I just got a new geko 101 for 30.00! Seems like a deal I couldn't pass up. I figure that my 8 year old will love to have her own when we cache. I have even considered sending to my friend who would love caching but would never spend money on a GPS.

I must say for me, I really need a gps that connects to the computer. I have a cobra 1000 that does not do this. That was fine the first 100 caches, but now I want more.

I just got a new geko 101 for 30.00! Seems like a deal I couldn't pass up. I figure that my 8 year old will love to have her own when we cache. I have even considered sending to my friend who would love caching but would never spend money on a GPS.

I must say for me, I really need a gps that connects to the computer. I have a cobra 1000 that does not do this. That was fine the first 100 caches, but now I want more.