Paying To Place A Cache?

Geoki

Need some help here.

Have been speaking to the woodland trust about permission to place a cache at one of their sites in Scotland. Everything has been really good and positive so far. Have just come back to find the agreement to sign includes a fee of £1 per year to place the cache. Now i'm not bothered about paying this BUT does this then cause any problems for other people that want to also get in contact with them in order to place a cache?

All the other people that I have got permission from have not asked for this kind of payment.

Has anyone else been asked to pay for placing a cache any where?

Hope this kind of makes sense as it has thrown me slightly.

Thanks in advance.

Carol

I've seen a similar thing mentioned on the USA forums try geocachingpolicyinfo.com (something like that anyway) Basically people have to fill in a form and pay for thier permit to cache.

Will try to find a link.

edit to add link check the USA list

link found !

edit again

The North Carolina Geocachers Association has a web page listing the Geocaching policy of the North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation. According to the web page, the current fee for an activity permit is now $35. A link to the application form, a copy of same, and some steps to take if there are any problems with local park rangers may also be found on this page.

Edited by markandlynn

This is a difficult one, they are a registered charity. Perhaps they are thinking along the lines that if you want to use our wood, you can donate something in return.

I think your best bet is to ask them what the payment is actually for, explaining that you don't want it to be something of a precedent for other land owners to use for placing a cache.

I'm not a lawyer but from the small amount of contract law I did in my degree ... in UK there is "no contract without consideration". Consideration here means payment of some kind (not necessarily dosh).

I presume the £1 is simply to make the agreement enforcable otherwise if you were not paying anything for their permission anything agreed between you about how things should be done would not be enforcable.

I'm not sure what it would achieve in this instance but I suspect it's just what their lawyers insist on.

Jon.

£1 a year sounds like a bargain to me....

I set up a cache ready to go last month near a local landmark; just waiting on the landowner's ok.

I've just received a letter from him saying he'll grant permission subject to a donation to the building's Charitable Trust of £100!!!

I know there are plenty of local caches that have been placed without permission & it's hardly surprising if this is what you get when you play by the rules :)

While I appreciate that he's not trying to cash in personally, it seems a bit off seeing as how when I spoke to him on the phone the week before, he was complaining that everyone was too concerned with money these days!

Anyone for a whip-round.....?!

Edited by Capcom