How Do I Creat A Locationless Cache??

RAIDER 1

As noted in the listing guidelines, there's been a moratorium on new locationless caches since early 2003. For more than a year, Groundspeak's been working on a replacement solution. I think you will like it. Please save your idea and see if it works once the new feature is launched.

Don't hold your breath on the new feature. Jeremy has been saying that its coming for an EXTREMELY long time and nothing yet.

No site for you!

Are you taking back a promise?

I'm apparently making a (too obscure) Seinfeld reference.

It is closer than some think. In fact there has been something publicly available since June. It just isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Must be one hell of a nonsensical directory/page name, 'cause I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works. Unless you were being sarcastic... blah, I'm curious now.

I'm quite interested in what will be different with the new system, though. Locationless caches aren't really my cup of tea; perhaps this system can change that.

To be honest, what I'd most like to see is a rule preventing people from limiting locationless caches to one-log-per-object. I know, rules are bad and all, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... seems kina like a cache where only the FTFer gets to participate.

Don't hold your breath on the new feature. Jeremy has been saying that its coming for an EXTREMELY long time and nothing yet.

No site for you!

Are you taking back a promise?

I'm apparently making a (too obscure) Seinfeld reference.

It is closer than some think. In fact there has been something publicly available since June. It just isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Obscure? Hardly!

All you have to do is become an approver, and then you can play.

Apparently, Jeremy isnt ready to share his new toy with anyone outside of his inner circle or even tell us how it works.

If it isn't ready for general use fine, but why not at least fill us in? Why all the secrecy?

Edited by WH
Apparently, Jeremy isnt ready to share his new toy with anyone outside of his inner circle or even tell us how it works.

If it isn't ready for general use fine, but why not at least fill us in? Why all the secrecy?

He's waiting for the patent to come through. You wouldn't want one of the other sites to steal this idea! :-)

To answer the original poster's question:

You log into http://www.terracaching.com/

They do LC's there. Some are really really inventive and wouldn't be approved here even if the feature were up and running yesterday.

Besides, Jeremy's made the statement that the new feature won't be "locationless" or "virtual" by name, because it'll be different enough to be its own new name. Not that your idea won't fit into the new format/feature, but just being semantic about the name.

As noted in the listing guidelines, there's been a moratorium on new locationless caches since early 2003. For more than a year, Groundspeak's been working on a replacement solution. I think you will like it. Please save your idea and see if it works once the new feature is launched.

Gimme a date! I've been sitting on my idea for a year. I'm jonesing here, man.

Gimme a date!  I've been sitting on my idea for a year. I'm jonesing here, man.

Since 42 seems to be the majic number, that means the middle of next month, relatively speaking. (Depends on the month, I guess.)

Either that or Monday.

Actually, 42 weeks would put us in the end of next May. Jeremy did mention May in one of the other threads about this subject :D

They toy is still missing a wheel.

We're still not sure how many wheels the toy has.

That's the problem. Remove the wheels, add a couple of wings and a jet engine, and release it.

I wonder how quick a yellow jeep locationless cache will be posted, and what new form it will take.

I'm sitting on an awesome idea for a locationless too! :rolleyes:

I'm ready to pounce when the new solution is available so I get to be "the one who thought of that awesome reverse virtual!" :P

I bet someone else knows about it who's a cacher but they may never have thought to make a cache out of it but it's simply way too awesome to pass up!

Not every cacher would be able to log a find for it because a photo would be required but it will be something that any cacher anywhere will be able to do & will enjoy learning about regardless! :blink:

I think it was Mtn-Man that told me the new feature would be intro'd to premo members first (after the admins are done having their fun with it I guess) :D

I just got my premo account activated last week so now i'm jonesin too!!! :blink:

You're thinking like a programmer, not a businessman. Release it as-is, then charge for the updates. :D