Do People Recognize The Sticker On Your Vehicle?

We were at a rest stop in MD or DE (I forget) on our way from CT to Washington, DC. No cache in this rest stop, we had just stopped for bathroom break and lunch.

Anyway, while we were standing outside the car, another car parked next to us. As the family got out, they noticed the stickers and said something like "you're geocachers, huh?". Turns out they were geocachers from MA, on their way somewhere. I forget their caching name, or where they were heading, but it was pretty cool at the time.

Edited by Mopar

Sometimes when I pull into the parking area for a cache and see another car there, I wonder if they are cachers too. I will often take a peak in in the window to seeif I can notice and giveaways such as GPS mount, cache page printouts etc etc.

we went to the local radio shack for some "supplies". i was talking to the salesman about why they are discontinuing their GPSr line because alot of people in this area are getting into this thing called "geocaching". he said "really, i've been in it for awhile now. i just haven't been able to get out lately". turns out that we have found the only cache he has placed. we talked for a good 45 min. about all the local caches.

Sometimes when I pull into the parking area for a cache and see another car there, I wonder if they are cachers too. I will often take a peak in in the window to seeif I can notice and giveaways such as GPS mount, cache page printouts etc etc.

:rolleyes:;) I am not the only one ! I am not weird! :P:P:(

I thought it was just me.

Since I don't drive or own a vehicle, I have no stickers, but I wear one of my geocaching hats about half the time, including all my time at work. These days it is common (yes, common) for a complete stranger to introduce himself to me as a fellow geocacher; it's been happening about twice a month for the last year. :rolleyes:;)

Yeah, I have a GEO sticker on my vehicle...

My mom and I were exiting my vehicle to go to lunch and a lady pulled into the parking spot next to us and smiled and waved...I returned the gesture, having no idea who she was. She jumped out and said are you a geocacher? She was from a different part of the state, in town for business. We told each other our "cacher" names and immediately knew one another from the logs.

I thought it was kinda cool!

I came out of a store once to see a man just staring at the back window of my Explorer. I had an oval GPS sticker on the window, the kind that Groundspeak sells. I said Hi and he said "I've been trying to figure out where this sticker is supposed to be from" Turns out he thought it was like MB = Myrtle Beach or OBX = Outer Banks.

Hmmm, GPS...could be Grand Peninsula Shore. :lol:

I gave him a CyBret Geocacher-U brochure and he went on his way.

A while ago I also saw a camping trailer on the highway with an oval GEO sticker on the back, they were from out of state. I was trying to pull up alongside and wave my GPS at them but I didn't have time before I had to exit.

oh well, next time.

Saw a Wyoming License Plate that said "g chcr" once but it was in the opposite lane and I couldn't catch up with it. I'll never know for sure.....

Nah - can't be one of our liscense plates - we are only allowed a maximum of 4 characters for vanity plates. Some options in WY would be:

TNLN

TFTC

SWAG

GPSR

or possibly a fleet with GEO1 through GEO9

I've worn my geocaching shirt to work before and had people trying to figure out what all the symbols mean.

"hiking plus spacecraft equals WHAT?"

We just put a geocaching sticker on our car.

Two weekends ago we were at Mt. Rainier/Mt. St. Helens, and we pulled over to a view spot. When we got out, the people in the car behind us said, "we're goecachers, too!" Their geocaching name was Docto. We had a nice little chat. :(

PICT0486.jpg

Edited by Ambrosia

I've been trying to convince myself that I want to pick up the trailer hitch cover, but haven't quite convinced myself that it's worth $30 (plus, it would only work for one of the two cars). Might have to settle for a couple license plate frames, since I'm categorically opposed to stickers. I think the people at work would laugh at me though.

I've been trying to convince myself that I want to pick up the trailer hitch cover, but haven't quite convinced myself that it's worth $30 (plus, it would only work for one of the two cars). Might have to settle for a couple license plate frames, since I'm categorically opposed to stickers. I think the people at work would laugh at me though.

You're assuming that they don't already.

;):D I am not the only one ! I am not weird! :D:):)

I thought it was just me.

Me, too.

I leave my cache printouts & binder on the passenger seat incase someone pulls in after me and looks in my truck like you guys do (and as I do) The GEO oval sticker dosen't get noticed in Northern Mass as one of the local town is Georgetown and people assume that is what it means. I do scan cars when stuck in traffic looking for any sign of a fellow cacher stuck in the gridlock

Edited by Sharpee

We (Blooming Idiot and I) were out for our morning walk today, and a woman heading for the bus stop, asked us if we were cachers. They had seen the van going by with the oval GPS sticker. When she found out who we were, she said her husband would be surprised that she had met a cacher who he's cussed out for a hide or two! ;):D

Nice to meet ya, FearNoCache!

I was never to too comfortable with putting stickers on my vehicle and given the volume of technical rescue equipment I generally carry, I didn't want to risk attracting unscrupulous attention by plastering the car with geocaching or diving decals.

The only way that you would know that I'm a diver is potentially the license plate:

nitrox9pc.jpg

The only way that you would know that the car is an emergency vehicle is when I hit the headlights, taillights, and strobes.

The only potentially recognizable decals I have on my car are Blue Line Identifiers on either side, and the front license plate.

flag1.gif

I'd just as soon not advertise the contents of the car, as I'd be livid if someone saw a geocaching.com decal and decided to smash-and-grab presuming there's a GPS onboard.

I've got way too many pending puzzle cache waypoints stored in the GPS to risk that kind of loss!

;)

I was never to too comfortable with putting stickers on my vehicle and given the volume of technical rescue equipment I generally carry, I didn't want to risk attracting unscrupulous attention by plastering the car with geocaching or diving decals.

The only way that you would know that I'm a diver is potentially the license plate:

nitrox9pc.jpg

The only way that you would know that the car is an emergency vehicle is when I hit the headlights, taillights, and strobes.

The only potentially recognizable decals I have on my car are Blue Line Identifiers on either side, and the front license plate.

flag1.gif

I'd just as soon not advertise the contents of the car, as I'd be livid if someone saw a geocaching.com decal and decided to smash-and-grab presuming there's a GPS onboard.

I've got way too many pending puzzle cache waypoints stored in the GPS to risk that kind of loss!

;)

Isn't having that blue thing on your car illegal? I notice in your other picture that you have the red Massachusetts tags. The red ones are supposed to be displayed front and rear, aren't they?

I have a small sticker, the 4-panel geocaching logo on the back window of my car, and one time I did a quick cache on my lunch break, walked past 2 people on the trail, exchanged a polite but quick hello, found the cache and headed back. I didn't know they were cachers, but when I got back to my car (I had parked right by where they were parked) they were still there and we had a good conversation about area caches. I never asked them, but I have to figure they didn't know I was a cacher either when they saw me on the trail, but saw the sticker and figured they'd stick around until I got back to the parking area to chat a bit.

I've never had anybody else recognize the logo, but it apparantly does at least let other cachers know that you're a cacher.

When I was in Texas I stopped at a Pro Bass shop to buy some fishing gear with my freind and when I came out this guy was looking at my geocaching sticker on my Jeep. He asked if I was the owner of the jeep and low and behold, it was Chuck Norris! I was like wow, this guy is the coolest idol around. He told me he geocached every now and then, and told me about a micro hidden in the nearby walmart parking lot.

He even round house kicked a soda can out of my freinds hand!

The geocaching community is awesome.

When I was in Texas I stopped at a Pro Bass shop to buy some fishing gear with my freind and when I came out this guy was looking at my geocaching sticker on my Jeep. He asked if I was the owner of the jeep and low and behold, it was Chuck Norris! I was like wow, this guy is the coolest idol around. He told me he geocached every now and then, and told me about a micro hidden in the nearby walmart parking lot.

He even round house kicked a soda can out of my freinds hand!

The geocaching community is awesome.

Chuck Norris can hear GPS radio signals and do the math to compute coordinates in his head, so he never needs a GPSr. Chuck doesn't look for the cache, caches just give themselves up out of sheer terror.

MiGO has sold hundreds of it's own 5 inch automotive quality sticker, and it's seen regularly, like this one I saw in the thumb area.

quietlake.jpg

Every now and then I get noticed too. Like the time my Jeep's broke down on the eastbound lane of the I-96 interstate in Michigan. A cacher (RovingLandsharks) was heading westbound and saw the large LOGO on my hood and the 12" vinyl MiGO seal on the side glass, They told me they had thought it was someone important, (Yeah right) They got off at the next exit, re-entered the freeway again going eastbound, to assist us until we got going again. I had already called Michigan Reviewer UMC for assistannce since he lived with-in a few miles from there.

Here is a picture of us on the side of the freeway, from left to right, RovingLandsharks, UMC, Team CoyChev (Gary then Donna) and our granddaughter Princess kalli

StrandedonI-9601.jpg

CoyChevJeepTB.jpg

I was stopping on a break at work to pick up an ammo box for a raffle at an event and noticed a sticker on an F-250 at the sign store next door. I went in and asked who the cacher was and we began to talk cache and eventually business. Turns out that the cacher that runs the sign company is actually the guy that did the sign work on my work vehicle. Small world! :(

I have the hitch cover and the license plate frame. Last year on our way back to California from Glacier National Park we were stopped in a loooooooooooooooooooooong line of traffc that was backed up due to a couple of trucks colliding up ahead. All of a sudden a guy walked up from behind us and looked in the driver's side window. I rolled down the window and he said, "So, are you the famous geocachers from California?" We laughed and said we were California geocachers but not very famous. Turns out he was a cacher as well and we had a nice gab session for a bit while waiting for the traffic to start moving again.

I have the Leatherman GX symbol on the back of my truck and most people ask me if it is a religious symbol and if I'm part of some strange cult or something. :laughing:

I did encounter a family from NM this past summer that was vacationing in the area, and noticed thier geocaching.com license frame. I ask them if they were geocachers and they thought I was psychic or something. Turns out they had there GPS with them but no cache info for the area. I gave them a list of 20 caches in the area and one of my sig items. They were very happy! :laughing: