Pocket Queries

Rubiconlwb

I have been a member for over a year and a premium member for almost that long as well. I am a real fan of the pocket query and use it to both upload caches but also to send info to my Handspring Visor PDA. I have noticed that when you do a pocket query and have it run at that time, none of the real important information like the description or the hints or the recent logs are included. That information is only available when you do the weekly pocket queries. Is there any way to have all the information included when you do a query on the spot? Just curious. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: No, I have the queries sent to me as .gpx files in .zip format so that is not the problem. All is well if I set it up as a pocket query to run weekly but if I tell it to run immediately, none of the pertinent info is present when I sync my PDA. I get general info like the cache name and coordinates and the owner but no description or hints or previous logs. Guess I will try running it from the query page but I thought they could only be run on the day you set it to run. Would changing the day to the current day accomplish that? Thanks for the assistance.
…  Would changing the day to the current day accomplish that?  …

yes, definitely. seems that your »run immediately« performs just the preview. downloading from there gets you only .locs.

happy hunting.

Right.

What you need to do is a new PQ and set TODAY as the day you want it (for example MONDAY if I were to do it right now). After you click SUBMIT it should not be long before it arrives in your inbox. I've not had luck just changing the day on an established query, just create a new one and tell it to "run once then delete".

What you need to do is a new PQ and set TODAY as the day you want it (for example MONDAY if I were to do it right now). After you click SUBMIT it should not be long before it arrives in your inbox. I've not had luck just changing the day on an established query, just create a new one and tell it to "run once then delete".

That's what I do. I've never understood the need to have queires that run regularly. When I decide to go caching, I just submit a fresh PQ for the area Im headed.

To facilitate running pocket queries on demand, I feel it would be useful to have the ability to save pocket query "presets", where all the information for the pocket query (center coordinates, cache types, etc.) could be saved. Then it would be a simple matter of selecting a preset and telling it to run that pocket query now.

:rolleyes: No, I have the queries sent to me as .gpx files in .zip format so that is not the problem. All is well if I set it up as a pocket query to run weekly but if I tell it to run immediately, none of the pertinent info is present when I sync my PDA.

Maybe we are not understanding what you mean by "run immediately". There is no actual option to do this. Are you referring to the "preview" link, by chance, which will run the PQ as a realtime search. If so, then yes, all you will get is the option to download the resulting page as a .loc file.

If you aren't referring to the "preview" link, what is it that you are talking about when you say "run immediately"?

--Marky

That's exactly what http://www.geocaching.com/pocket gives you.  You can have 20 "presets".  Tick the box to run it today and (if you haven't been greedy) odds are very good it'll run within scant moments.

If you have been greedy, then no soup for you!

Greedy is a relative term. If the surest way to get a pocket query is to create a new one, then I'd like to have an easy way to create a new one. What could be easier than having a preset and telling the pocket query generator to create a new pocket query using the settings contained in said preset? Checking the day on an existing pocket query does not create a new query.

Edited by Rattlehead

I think we just have a parlance breakdown.

The technique above doesn't create a new one, but if you activate one to run that hasn't been run in a while, it goes to the top of the list. If yours hasn't been run in a couple of days and you tick the box for it to run today, you'll probably see it within a few minutes. If yours was run yesterday and you tick it today, you're further down the list.

The key criteria isn't "most recently created", it appears to be "run least recently". Of course, a newly created one will have been run the least recently since it's never been run at all. So use your bank of 20 as your presets and just tick the box whenever you want them to go.

It works really well.

That's exactly what http://www.geocaching.com/pocket gives you.  You can have 20 "presets".  Tick the box to run it today and (if you haven't been greedy) odds are very good it'll run within scant moments.

If you have been greedy, then no soup for you!

Greedy is a relative term. If the surest way to get a pocket query is to create a new one, then I'd like to have an easy way to create a new one. What could be easier than having a preset and telling the pocket query generator to create a new pocket query using the settings contained in said preset? Checking the day on an existing pocket query does not create a new query.

Copy query parameters from a selected saved PQ definition to a new query definition - and yes, I think this would be useful, because I like to clone mine and use the oldest one, because sometimes on weekends you need to use a really old queries (or a new one) to get the GPX files within minutes. A query which ran the previous day won't come very quickly.

I just did a PQ because I did not get my Monday PQ (Jeremy - don't go look, I deleted my previous one for every day).

So to answer your question, if in fact my PQ were missing information it would be smaller if not much smaller than all the other PQ's I have.

I just looked at the size of the one I got within just a few minutes (424K) and then scanned several others - all 424K, so I have to surmise that this one I got immediately had all the information as expected.

cc\