Extremely Annoyed

As some of you know all our traditional caches have been hidden in camoflage bags. We went for a walk this morning and checked on one of our cache to find that the camoflage bag had been replaced by a Tesco bag :laughing: (it had also been moved about 15ft but we can live with that). While we were a bit miffed about this we were prepared to accept that it could possibly have just been muggled as this cache has been exposed a couple of times. However we decided to check one of our other caches nearby and found that the bag had also disappeared from there as well.

Our conclusion is that another cacher has taken a liking to our bags and taken them for their own caches. We have absolutely no idea who has done this and feel it is likely to be someone who knew they were there and specifically went to get the bags - hence replacing one with a carrier bag. This has happened in the last couple of months.

In the grand scheme of things this is not a major crime but it has certainly left me extremely disillusioned and our plan to hide another cache this afternoon has now been abandoned. If whoever did this happens to be reading the message board perhaps they might feel shamed into replacing the bags alternatively they could always buy their own from a shop in Lower Bridge Street in Chester - they are not that expensive. In the meantime could anyone who has done our caches in recent weeks let us know if they are still in their bags.

I've had an ammo can stolen... the entire cache contents being tipped into a carrier bag before being rehidden.

Also, one of our ('Grockles') caches was muggled recently, the final part of the multi being taken... Ok that happens... but the thing that ticked us of a bit was the fact that one of the previous stages was a 35mm film can hidden in a hollowed out lump of rock. The rock had been taken and the film can re-hidden without it!!

It's bad enough when the non-initiated stumble upon a cache and trash it, but it's particularly sad that someone who is involved in the game should go around stealing.

It will be interesting to see if new caches start appearing in the area in camo bags.

I started geocaching yesterday. Visited Refineries and Sandstone (spotted it was one of yours) at 11:25 this morning and the camouflage bag was still on it. We left it where we found it. So - at least one of yours is OK. Hope this helps.

TFTC

Oooh... we were planning on getting hold of some of these and putting our caches in them... might have to re think this on 2 accounts:-

i) might get nicked

ii) someone might think we nicked em!!

It's bad when something as friendly and nice as caching can lead to this!

:rolleyes:

Edited by hazel and Phill

It's very disillusioning to suspect that a fellow cacher may have nicked elements of your cache, I went through this recently when something similar happend to one of mine. It is easy to get stuck in a 'nobody else but a geocacher would want this' point of view. I think you just have to assume that it muggles, no matter how well of cryptically your cache is hidden. It's the school holidays and therefore all outdoor places are full of kids exploring and getting into everything. If they can be accessed and found by cachers, then they can be accessed and found by anybody. No reason why you should not mark your bags from now on, of course, but I would just treat it like a normal muggling and move on, for the sake of your own stress levels as much as any other reason. At least any logs, TBs and contents have not been swiped, so that's something at least.

Anyone know where to get camo bags by mail order ?

no, but there are a piece of p*ss to make on the sewing machine. Can get the material by the metre in camo or plain nato green from most camping stores. Make a simple string draw cord with toggle or sprung wire.

Best thing is you can make them to size required by the cache.

I have used the plain green myself as I write the cache details on it in perm marker.