Ever Had A Cache Log Make Your Day???

Getting logs from forum regulars is always neat. Did ya see that NakedCacher has hit that one too. :D

You totally passed up some great caches though. :o

:blink: Nudecacher was there? :o I'm glad I didn't sit on any of the rocks! :D

I must admit it's always fun finding a cache hidden by one of the forum regulars! (I'm embarassed to admit that I've driven by one of Sax's caches out here in So Cal several times but never had the chance to stop.)

And if I wasn't driving 500 miles on the day I swung by your cache (in my brand new sedan), I definitely would've hit some of the tougher caches farther off the paved roads. A few of your other hides out that way are on my "must do" list for next year's June Lake camping trip. :D

This one had me in stitches... read the cache page for more of the story, but the "New P.D.A." FTF prize was a "paper desktop assistant," a notebook cut to look like a PDA.  It really had people scrambling for it, though! 

Joefrog's Library

Some of the best stuff was emails I got later, but not posted to the page.  :blink:

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of your "PDA?" :o

Edited by Kit Fox

Had one today...I love getting all the logs of course...especially when there's an actual log and not just a TFTC type log.

This one came through on my Earthcache:

Emmy-n-Sapphie found Midnight Cave (Earthcache) at 9/17/2005

Log Date: 9/17/2005

Found this at 9am on a Saturday. Fields were full of soccer kids & parents, but we figured it was ok since it was a virtual cache. A whole group of boys saw us at the fence and came over to see what we were doing. So we read them all the info about Midnight Cave that I had from this website. They thought it was "Way COOL!". Plus, they told us about other caves they knew about. So, thanks to KoosKoos, we snuck a little Earthcache knowledge in with the soccer games! Gotta love this sport! TFTC!

This one had me smiling for most of the day. I even forwarded it to a few non-caching friends who ask "why do you do that so much?"

September 15 by xnicecacherx (388 found)

It is probably not very stealthy to squeel very loudly when finding a cache, but sometimes that is what Wimseyguy causes us to do. Who needs espresso to get you going in the morning when you have one of his caches!

BTW the following log was "best find of the day" from nicecacher's regular running mate.

We only have 2 of our own caches but one of them gets such great log entries. Its an out of the way place that even some local people dont know about, we cant find any history linked with it at all so how it got its name 'Cabin Lake' remains a mystery.

We are amazed at the amount of visits it receives so much so that we did sit down and worry about the effect all these folks are having on the environment :blink:

In my book, Genius Loci writes the best logs. My favorite one he wrote for a cache I have with a fish theme, Rolly-Poly Fish Heads. Since I can't get onto GC.com right now, I will post from the email I kept:

"Log Date: 2/20/2005

"Oh great, another stupid puzzle/code cache" was my first reaction when I glanced at the description here, but I soon discovered how wrong that knee-jerk reaction had been. In fact, after just a little nibble, our whole caching team was hooked, and the hunt for "Rolly-Poly Fish Heads" kept everyone in stitches from start to finish. When we'd finally returned the container to it's hiding place, everyone agreed this cache was indeed a "fine kettle of fish"!

First off, the funky fish sentences were a big hit with our crowd, easy and fun

enough to keep us all laughing until Mwost figured out the answer for the first

sentence and BigEtheSPE scored on the second one. The decoding was like shooting fish in a barrel for Jane, and with coordinates in hand we were ready to go fishing.

When we got there, Tishman and Lucy had just arrived, and Greenback got so excited that he nearly fell in the lake when someone accidently bumped him (or was it "on porpoise"?) He soon came up with the cache of the day, but the fun wasn't over yet. Tishman and I kept the fishy puns coming strong from our perch on the bank - "Looks like a real roughy, we didn't think you cod find it, don't you want any kelp?", etc. etc.

Walleye guess this turned out to be a great cache after all; I went for it hook,

line and sinker! Thanks, Team LightningBugs, for a whale of a cache! - Genius Loci

('the Guardian Spirit of a Place')"

I just had to bring this thread back after getting this log in my email.

My first letterbox and first Watkins Glen cache! My initial excitement was dimmed by the mess it was in. The log book and stamp were in a dry bag, but everything else was in standing water. I used what I had to dry and clean it up. I figured Vargseld was worth 1/2 hour of my time and effort with all that he has done for the sport. See, Vargseld, I don't ALWAYS curse you.

And the log goes on, including a funny picture of the cache spread out drying. To make it even better it was posted to a cache I adopted that is very special to me. :(

This was in my email this morning:

A log has been posted to your cache.

--------------------------------------------------

Cache Name: Goin' to Uranus & Lookin' fer Klingons

Username: Muddy Buddies

Type: Found It

Date: 10/21/05

Log Text:

They say that the third time is a charm. I'm always charmed each time I visit this

spot.

Upon entering the gamma quadrant, I thought I noticed the telltale waver of space,

that indicates the presence of a cloaking device. Keying in the coordinates, I

immediately launched a photon torpedo to disable the Romulan enemy. With them out

of the way, I beamed down, alone, to the beacon left behind by previous explorers.

I soon discovered that the place was in shambles, and no amount of love, would

restore this once beautiful object to its past glory. Quickly locating the captains

log, I scanned it to see if I could discover what really happened. I saw the logs

of many a fine captain before me, and a couple of admirals. Feeling a little

unworthy, I entered my log into the database, and hurriedly beamed back to my ship.

Off to explore the rest of the TC universe.

http://www.TerraCaching.com/viewcache.cgi?C=TCSI

(You must already be logged in for link to work.)

YAY!!!

HiDude98 & GeoMire are the first to visit Row vs. Wade since July 3, 2004!!!! (and actually log it online... :o ) :lol:

Too bad that they weren't terracachers...... My "Banjo Music aka Why is Daddy Crying?" Terracache was just 110 feet away with well OVER $100 worth of swag in it. :huh: Don't ya just love the "DOH!" factor? That's a hike no one wants to do twice. :lol:

Edited by Snoogans

This one made me feel very good.

---------------------------------------

After getting skunked on the nearby micro, boxer Erik and I was excited to find such a great cache!!

We sat and looked thru the cache, drank some water, and relaxed for a bit.

I needed a place to drop all the travel bugs that have been collecting in my pack, so I placed them all here and took the 1 in the cache.

This park is so wonderful...thanks for putting an excellect cache here to bring people to it :rolleyes:

Ed (sans Julie) and boxer Erik

TB&TB

Thanks Jackalope, I was having a crappy day until I read that. :P

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

The Jackalope found Hardcore Sunrise or Sunset (Traditional Cache) at 9/2/2006

Log Date: 9/2/2006

WOW! The view was spectacular! This is a great example of places off the beaten path we would have never ventured out to if it weren't for geocaching. Thanks for sharing this magnificent spot with us. TNLNSL

WOW!!! Thank you Rustyg for introducing us to Geocaching! It has taken us to some wonderful places and given us some great family fun! I read that log that sammi the cat had found his (her) 200th here at this spot. Then I looked and realized that I was on 2 caches away form my 200th cache. These two caches (Far 1 or 2 and Impromptu) were less that 3 miles from where the MV Doulos was birthed. Mrs. Songsinger and I have been serving on the Doulos for three weeks. What an added treat to be able to find # 200 with Mrs. Songsinger and Rustyg.

Ok I admit I am being wordy, but it is #200!!! Thanks so much for the cache. I took a tiny ceramic elephant to remember the Thailand cache and left some Baht coins. I'll also post some fun pictures that I hope will encourage cachers to make the trip to this beautiful location.

Cache "Impromptu" Thailand

OH YEAH! FTF!!! I have Geocached in more than 30 countries and this was the absolute best geocache I have ever done! We found a location only 500 feet from the cache and began our ascent.

Somehow we ended in a thorn forest. I have never seen so many thorns - thorns on the trunks of trees, thorns on the limbs, thorns on the leaves. The rocks were a blessed relief to the thorns. By the time I was down, I was bleeding quite well. The photo shows the results.

Thank you for an EXCELLENT cache. We loved it!

I highly recommend this cache!

The MV Doulos Bunch

'cos I was mentor of setters (newbies at that)

Kguys found: April 15th, 2006 @ 12:20pm - Our most enjoyable cache ever. I believe man is instinctively fearful of certain shapes including the snake, the spider, the shark, etc. Moore9KSUcats deserves several GeoCache Merit Badge Awards for this one. I think we made it within the first five to find, so ... Took: After Bite, Left: Purple Compass. Log-reader-alert: Don't miss this one!!!

This is on our cache : FEAR: The Bald-Faced Lie cache ID GCTT9J

Comments like this one are some of the reasons we try so hard to put out surprising caches! Hubby likes to have fun with cache design and camo.

Malia

Edited by Moore9KSUcats

Every log for my Alien Alphabet and Alien Alphabet 2 has been good, but these two are my favorites:

May 20 by FarmBoy&theTeacher (1221 found)

After a long drive to get to the cache site we found AA1 and picked up the encrypted info for AA2. Went back to the picnic area and started working on solving the message over a picnic supper. We did a lot of head scratching over this until it started to get dark. Since the park closes at dark we had to move on. We headed out and found a place to camp for the night and proceeded to get settled in while still pondering the code. Well we finally gave in and decided to get some sleep when all of a sudden the strangest bright lights filled the night sky. An intellectual looking Alien suddenly materialized in front of us. Well you can guess that we were stunned. Using his translating device he informed us that he had heard about the AA caches and had come to Earth to see what it was all about. He was monitoring the AA1 site earlier when we were there so now had come to get information from us. You know how hard it can be to explain geocaching to a muggle? Well, try explaining it to an Alien who has no knowledge of earthlings concept of fun. After a lot of communicating back and forth we think that he got the idea because he took pity on us for not being able to decode the message. He would not decode it for us but did tell us of a nearby machine that could do it. We were thanking him as best we could when he disappeared as quickly as he had appeared. After this most unusual experience we had trouble getting any sleep at all. Come first light we headed out to prepare for the days adventure. We located the place where the decoding machine is kept but found that it was locked up until later in the morning. We decided to find a few other caches to take our minds off from this one while we waited. When we got back we were able to use the code machine and got the information that we needed. We headed out to the AA2 site and started looking around. The GPSr circled us around a bit before we spotted the cache. Now what to do? Well, someone had to retrieve the cache and that task landed on FarmBoy. With the Teacher doing the cheering Farmboy achieved this amazing feat with no cuts, scrapes or broken bones.

Be careful and take the owners warnings seriously.

On top of all this we got to be FTF. What an adventure!!!!!

Many thanks to Tsmola for a job well done on such a challenging set of caches!

Also thanks to the Alien for the help in getting this decoded.

Left a couple of sig cards for future finders and picked up the FTF card.

FarmBoy&theTeacher

Adventure #780

May 24 by Team_Fitz (265 found)

#182 Take heed puny Earthlings! This cache is not for the weak, minded or physical. The aliens could not keep me away for long. After my adventures with AA1 I needed a different tool for the second stage of the adventure. During the wee hours that lay ahead of me in the lab I turned on the trusty transceiver and began to point my antenna skyward in hopes of contacting one of the aliens that had left this encrypted message. Listening intently through the static I began to hear the faint signal from another world! It began as a slight crackle and then an overpowering ringing that took my breath away. After grabbing a power drink it came to me It was there all the time . Or was it really a message from outer space? Now that the message was clear all that was left was the journey back. Today was a beautiful day for an astrobike ride to the trailhead. The birds were singing and many other fury creatures scurried about as I proceeded to the cache. Now this is where you had better heed the warnings. There is much protecting this alien cache poisonous plants abound here. If you are allergic to poison ivy steer clear or wear protective clothing. If you attempt this alone tell someone where you are going and when you should be back. It will take you longer than you think. The aliens were on my side today and I had no trouble retrieving the cache and placing it back. I do however see where someone not so agile or physically fit could get hurt if they attempt this alone. Bring a friend and enjoy. The journey back to the astrobike left me wanting more but it was already later than I had anticipated. I should be in bed by now. Oh well one more stop on the way back to Earth Cache HQ shouldn’t be a problem. These two caches were a lot of fun. Traded sigs TFTC

This is the best log on any of my caches.

This is from the virtual cache for the Vietnam Wall.

July 2, 2003 by Harrald

I came here with my family at night. This was the first time in my many trips to D.C. that I've been able to walk past this memorial. There was no way I could find the information. I was a bit to emotional to think about logging a cache.

If it wasn't for GeoCaching I would never have been able to walk past here. Thank you for helping me find the will power to walk along this wall that never seemed to end.

That my simple geocache could bring him there has meant so much to me. Edit to add that that didn't just make my day, but has made all the volunteer work and personal "fun time" I do for geocaching worth it.

Edited by mtn-man

This is the best log on any of my caches.

This is from the virtual cache for the Vietnam Wall.

July 2, 2003 by Harrald

I came here with my family at night. This was the first time in my many trips to D.C. that I've been able to walk past this memorial. There was no way I could find the information. I was a bit to emotional to think about logging a cache.

If it wasn't for GeoCaching I would never have been able to walk past here. Thank you for helping me find the will power to walk along this wall that never seemed to end.

That my simple geocache could bring him there has meant so much to me. Edit to add that that didn't just make my day, but has made all the volunteer work and personal "fun time" I do for geocaching worth it.

That's probably the ONLY thing (a smiley) that would bring me back there. Once was enough.

My father and oldest brother faught in Vietnam. Both did 3 tours. (Father, AF Col., flew B-52's. Brother, Marine PFC, Tunnel Rat)

I was there, in 1990, just one day after my father's funeral in Arlington National Cemetary. My brother and I were almost running up the slope to exit. The weight of emotion in that spot can really catch you off guard.

Eisen-Faust

October 5 by gone2camp (35 found)

First To Find!!!!!

Ok, with that out of the way, let me start with.....OH MY GOD!!!!!! Wow!!! I will be feeling this one for quite some time. That is a climb that's STRAIGHT UP and all the ground that you are climbing on is not ground but some form of liquid dirt and rocks. I'm glad I did it, but my wife wasn't so happy about hiking it. I have to give her alot of credit since she never gave up. She had a few "melt downs" on the way up, but I was able to keep her hanging in there. I packed quite a bit of stuff to hike up there, and used it all. Trail food, lots of water, and more water, change of clothes, and leather gloves. Who ever goes up next you MUST bring leather gloves since almost all of the hike up you are on all 4's due to the steep angle and liquid dirt. Trust me DON'T FORGET GLOVES!!!! It took my wife and I, to get from the parking spot to the cache, just over 5 hours. Leaving the cache took 2 hours to get back to the car. That is a bunch of controlled

butt sliding for great distances and fast speeds.

Who ever is thinking of attempting this cache, please believe all that kit fox is saying, it's all true. This cache has numerous ways to really hurt somebody. Do not even attempt it unless you understnd this one is 'Hell' and very very very demanding, physically and mentaly. A little more advise, You better have a good understanding of Topo maps and how to interpet them. I am fortunate to have a garmin 60csx with the topo mapping and trust me that that was a huge advantage in deciding which direction to crawl next. I also had my etrex legend "just incase" and to compare on the way up. This is one of thos times that after navigating with the 60csx and then looking at the legend that the legend seemed useless with just waypoints on it with no mapping, it was like looking at the distance from planets with nothing but space in between. The legend is fine for urban micro but out of it's league up there, a back up but that's all. And do not forget batteries, I had to change both sets at the top since this one takes quite a while. I'm not trying to scare people off this cache, I'm just trying to stress that you must be prepaired and take all the crap you think you might need, you can't bring too much on this one.

T-green jeep

Left-6 packs of 4 each AA batteries and emergency whistle-compass.

signed log, and kit fox, thank you for the challenge!!!!!!!!

This log made me lean back in my chair, and tell my wife "This is what it's all about."

Nice spot. The best cache find yet. We had to wait to look for the cache as there was a very large bull elk camped out within feet of the cache. Awesome experience for my 6 yr. old daughter. SL

Written on our Lake Estes View cache.

On the way to the cache site:

cdaefa04-1eed-4c6a-be4e-0fa8a4afecb5.jpg

At the cache site:

d683bfc5-e8d6-4dba-a1e7-e4cb170b14d9.jpg

My own bias is towards caches in areas that are beautiful and secluded. It makes me happy to see when other people get the same feeling because they visited one of my caches.

Been to Quarry Hill several times, and never took this route. BEAUTIFUL!!! Took lots of pictures. TFTC

One of the great things about Geocaching (besides the occasional overwhelming amount of excercise) is getting taken to neat places you never knew existed - this was one of them. Thanks for bringing us here!!

WOW!!! What a view, beautiful night for a beautiful cache. What a great area and a nice hide. This is quite a hike but well worth the effort.

Here is the FTF log from the first or second full size cache I ever placed, in which I announced, "FTF gets the privilege of being held in high esteem by other Western OK cachers. Also, your looks will improve, and members of the other sex will find you irresistible. DISCLAIMER: Your mileage may vary. FTF has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat male pattern baldness nor ED."

GCY8M3

September 24 by JamGuys (214 found)

FTF! After seeing this cache attract seemingly little or no attention for a full two weeks, decided I'd take matter into my own hands and pay it a visit myself. Since many recent logs have mentioned how hot and miserable it can get during the day, thought I'd get out here fairly early. Left home before daybreak and made it to the outskirts of Hinton at 7:00 a.m. Drove into the park and was surprised to see quite a number of tents and RVs out there. Parked and enjoyed the smell of woodsmoke emanating from a few smoldering camp-fires as I made my way towards the trailhead. Got onto the trail and was glad I'd brought old "Useful" with me. It was nice and cool out on the trail this morning, somewhere in the mid-50's. Found the spot without much difficulty - great location! Popped open the can, scanned the log, and saw that I was indeed FTF - yahoo! Looked up to see the sun just beginning to peep over the far ridge - grabbed my camera and took a few shots - none of these ended up being worthy of uploading but it was a beautiful moment! Finished logging the cache then headed back onto the trail to grab a couple more.

TN, L - Brawny's 2500 Celebration Coin, JamGuys' NAVSTAR Touring Oklahoma Geocoin #6, and signature FTF wooden coin, SL. TFTC!

P.S. Had a quick look at myself in the mirror just now and I'll be darned - my looks HAVE improved! Unfortunately, my wife seems less than impressed .....

I received this log at the end of a particularly bad day. Helped me make it through the night.

Holy frijoles, that's one excellent hide! Best of the day. We followed the coords, stood right at 0.0, and scratched our heads a bit. Something didn't seem quite right (no spoilers, here), but we couldn't figure it out, so we started looking elsewhere. Mrs. ******** did the smart thing and started expanding her search radius a bit, while I kept going back and fixating on the coords and my hunch. Good thing I did, too, for after a few seconds of fiddling, we came up with the find.

Excellent, excellent cache. This is the kind of hide you take friends and family to when they're caching and visting from out of town.

TNLNSL.

TFTgreatC,

Mine's not in a log but it happened in person. We were doing a CITO event on a trail where I had placed 2 caches. One of them is in plain view but has a good disguise. After our cleanup, those who hadn't found those caches decided to do them before leaving. A bunch went in together andwhen they came out, they all made a point of telling me I am evil. That was fun. :rolleyes:

This DNF was the first major attempt made at finding my first hide. It made my day... It's a puzzle cache, for the record.

Well I thought I would post a DNF on this. Partially from the frustration of trying to solve the puzzle and part from the nice hour walk I took today. There is such a big difference from knowing where it is located to knowing "exactly" where it is located. Well at least I am real sure I know the area it is at.

But on my stroll today I did see a big bull frog, ducks and the biggest garden spiders I have ever seen. These black with yellow backed ones had a leg span that could carry away a silver dollar. Oh and there were some young "Orioles" playing near by. It was worth a shot. Another hour of getting exercise outside on a great day versus beating my head on my computer screen doing research to figure this one out was a no brainer.

Good Luck Everyone!

The first finder happened to be a friend of mine, so I figure she HAD to say nice things. But the second finder is not someone I know, and he made my day with this...

This was a very well-constructed puzzle. I had to use every single clue to fill in the table--no shortcuts that I could find. It had been quite some time since I thought about chemistry, but with the help of google and wikipedia, I was able to push through.

It was also a FUN puzzle! If my previous coursework in chemistry had been more like this, maybe I wouldn't have changed my major! I saw in the log that you're letting your students in on the fun--good for you.

As you said, once I had the coordinates, the cache was a quick find. It was better stocked than any I've seen, but TNLN.

Thanks for the puzzle! I just hope that I don't meet the same fate as Dr. Heisenberg!

:anicute:

This DNF was the first major attempt made at finding my first hide. It made my day... It's a puzzle cache, for the record.

Well I thought I would post a DNF on this. Partially from the frustration of trying to solve the puzzle and part from the nice hour walk I took today. There is such a big difference from knowing where it is located to knowing "exactly" where it is located. Well at least I am real sure I know the area it is at.

But on my stroll today I did see a big bull frog, ducks and the biggest garden spiders I have ever seen. These black with yellow backed ones had a leg span that could carry away a silver dollar. Oh and there were some young "Orioles" playing near by. It was worth a shot. Another hour of getting exercise outside on a great day versus beating my head on my computer screen doing research to figure this one out was a no brainer.

Good Luck Everyone!

That's my idea of a good DNF. :anicute:

Check out THIS DNF on one of my caches from a 1k plus finder who puts the hunt in his TOP 10 without ever having found the cache. :ph34r:

Look further. Most of the DNFs on that cache say something like "Best DNF ever." :huh:

Ever since I put my first hide out and started receiving entertaining and sometimes hilarious logs, I've tried to write longer and more detailed logs myself. I love reading all the logs on my hides, and so try to return the favor to hiders of caches I've found. The logs on this (GCTVYX) hide, had me laughing and feeling quite flattered that so many enjoyed/hated/were frustrated by the hide. So many of them made my day, but one of my favorites is the one my daughter posted:

August 10 by Ezrae (93 found)

First day back in MI for a vacation and my mom and I head over to this one for the last cache of the night. I read the description, and looked at the hint and set forth to find one of her evil caches.

When I find the cache, the first thing out of my mouth is "MOM!" said in that tone only a frustrated daughter can use.

I'm going to have to copy her and hide one like this somewhere in Denver.

Ezrae (Mizdeeds' daughter)

Denver, CO

I think this cache is where I first received the nickname "The Evil" Mizdeeds.....and I continually try to live up to it!

I've received so many nice logs over the years its hard to decide which one really makes my day. But when you receive a personal E-Mail about one of my caches that seems to say I did a nice hide.

Good evening, Tahosa,

I've been meaning to write you personally to indicate how much I enjoyed/appreciated those two caches done yesterday on Crosier. And now I understand there's another one up there. I looked a couple of weeks ago along the rail for the micro to the Avarian but didn't find the tag in the short time I had, even though I believe my waypoint projection was darned accurate. I'll get back there fairly soon to spend the time needed, and then get back on Crosier for the final cache. I'm also looking forward to Roamin in the Glomin. I'll be through Estes tomorrow en route to going up Isolation and Mahana peaks. Tried those in serious weather a couple of weeks ago and got blown off. Tomorrow should be a fine day for them and the 17 miles that are involved. Won't have time to stop in Estes with that agenda!.

Still being a bit of a newbie, (84 finds, 1 hide) I must say that I am always delighted to see a new log on my only cache. It's especially nice for me because I've been out of state for seven months and it gives a sense of how things are back home (The GF handles maintenace for me.). In any event, I'll finally get back home next month, and I can't wait to go to the cache and read the logbook!

I can't say that I have a favorite log, but when Two Buck Chuck was able to resume caching after the birth of his son, he took took him to my cache and it's one of the best logs my cache has had. It's below...

After three months of no caching, Two Buck Chuck is back in action, this time with seven-week old Two Buck Chuck Jr. in tow. I needed to get out of the house for a change of scenery, so I strapped TBC Jr. in the Baby Bjoern and gave this one a try. There weren't too many people out today in the heat & humidity, so I managed to grab the cache and take it over to the picnic table with no problem.

It looks like the Old Town side access point to the park will soon close once the demolition of the old span begins. Just follow the brown Jines Point Park parking signs down S. Washington St., which will turn you back around to the north for a right turn to a temporary parking area on the other side of the bridge.

Well done--a nicely placed cache with a fun theme. I left a mini-bottle of Miracle Bubbles (dogs like to chase bubbles, right?) and took the rubber ducky key chain. Thanks!

Great thread Snoogans!

A log from my first cache made my day. B)

September 7 by Show Me the Cache (7458 found)

Looked in lots of places once, several places twice, and accidentally found it while I was checking a nearby "obvious" spot for the third time. Very good cache. RATED:Hiking Boots

The cache is Rockin Marbles cache at way piont GCXXH2.

thegoldminer found Power Caching: Reach in There! (Traditional Cache) at 10/14/2006

Log Date: 10/14/2006

Note: This log was Rot13 encrypted on the web site. Because you are the owner we have converted it for you.

[Congratulations on making it to my Favorites of NE IL list! This one, like Jurassic Cache, scared the s### out of me. It really shouldn't have. Really.] Using my mirror and flashlight I easilly found the cache but the dadgum spider on top looked so real because of the way the cache was put back in last time. With it's legs perfectly up like a real spider would if it were being defensive. And I convinced myself that I saw a big spider nest towards the rear!

[i saw it long before I actually got it (took me about half an hour of talking myself into it). Never seen a tree hole like this before but I am dubbing this tree "Squirrel Tree" because of all the squirrels that were on it and popping into a dozen other holes further up. Thanks for the cache! Left signature items]

When I set up the cache, I kept imagining people's surprises to a large plastic spider on the lid in a dark hole. Most people have indicated a little surprise, but this was the best yet!

In my book, Genius Loci writes the best logs...

Many of the logs for this cache of mine are clever, but GL's is my favorite...

Am I addicted to geocaching? My friends, it goes WAY beyond that! I am consumed with geocaching, for I eat and drink geocaching every instant of my waking life, and (as Geogeek65 has pointed out) it haunts my dreams nightly. On occasion, Geocaching is no less than a religious experience for me, and through it, I've found a way to mirror the passions of my soul.

You'll have seen Greenback and Geogeek65's posts on this cache by now, and read their references to my addiction. I'm glad they enjoyed their Finds at 'Do Not Find This Cache', but at the same time I'm disappointed that they weren't able to see beyond the cache's humorous elements (excellent as those are) to grasp its more subtle artistic elegance.

When our hunt started, I was fully expecting to find the cache with my friends, and planning to post a humorous 'Find' note as so many others have done. However, I've often expressed my great admiration for this cache's stated goal to Spyderuser, and as we left the parking area, he noticed that a lump had formed in my throat, and could see that something was deeply troubling me.

Buried deep inside, there was a part of me that really DIDN'T want to find this cache! Not because I feel that it would confirm my addiction to geocaching (there's never really been any doubt of that) but rather because posting a FIND would indicate that I didn't grasp Cheesehead Dave's magnificent reversal of FIND with NO FIND at this site. For I am aware of no other cache where one can only 'find' it by NOT finding the geocache!

Implicit in this reversal is another fascinating geocaching paradox. Like virginity, 'Finding' is a one-way street, as once you've found a cache, you can't 'un-find' it. A maid may become a harlot, but the reverse is impossible. While any other geocache (if not found) continues to offer the hope of an eventual win, according to Cheesehead's stated goal, 'Do Not Find This Cache', once found, CAN NEVER AGAIN BE CLAIMED AS A SUCCESSFUL HUNT.

However, the flesh is weak, and my addiction (as well as the ebullience of my companions, inebriated on the intoxicating thrill of far too many 'FIND's in far too short a time) urged me forward. Only Spyderuser, who seemed able to grasp the true significance of being honestly able to post a 'No Find' on this cache, sympathized with my dilemma. I was visibly shaking as we drew nearer, and just as my GPSr indicated there was but 500 feet to go, he grabbed my hand and looked me in the eye. 'You really DON'T want to find this one, do you? After all this time, and your pride in your earlier NO FIND posts - would you throw all that away for a single moment's thrill and a single higher count on your list? You know you'll regret it in the morning!'

Casting down my eyes in shame, with trembling fingers I struggled to depress the 'OFF' button on my GPS. Gently, Spyderuser closed his hand over mine, and a strange sense of peace overwhelmed me as he helped to push the button firmly down. When the bewitching light of the LCD screen had finally faded, I ripped the unit open and cast the batteries into the pond. At the last instant, Spyderuser had saved me from myself, for I couldn't have stopped the hunt without his help. With trembling footsteps, he led me by the hand back to the van... 'It's all right now, it's over. You didn't find it.'

In 1917, Marcel Duchamp, a radical French artist, shocked the world by entering a urinal from the Paris subway men's room as a sculpture in a major Art exhibition. The public, critics, and judges were scandalized. Yet today, that event is recognized as one of the most important moments in the history of Modern Art, because it forces us to re-examine our ideas about the very nature of Art itself.

Like Duchamp's 'Fountain', Cheesehead Dave's 'Do Not Find This Cache' presents the geocaching world with a paradoxical challenge that forces us to re-examine our ideas about the very nature of geocaching itself. Is geocaching really all just about increasing our 'Find' counts and clawing our way to the top of the Stats page? Or (in this case, at least) can NOT finding a cache be more important than finding it?

I think everyone knows what my answer to that question is. But it took all my will power, and the help of a true friend, to prove it to myself. Thank the geocaching gods - for me, this maid remains a virgin.

- Genius Loci ('the Guardian Spirit of a Place')

This is the most interesting logs I have received.

Jim

Kc8bdr

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING - PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all the cache was fun. It was an interesting path leading up to the cache. I took nothing and left a body warmer and lightstick.

Ok, on the way out about 50 yards away from me was an animal that jumped out of the woods. It didn't see me and it stood there and then it took off. I looked at it closely and I am almost sure that it was a panther. I am not kidding! This big black cat was large and it was fast! It darted off so quickly! I had to go to the library and lookup the imagee to confirm what I saw and sure enough it was.

I told the police and DNR which surprisingly did not make much a response. I almost think that they didn't take me seriously, but I will never forget what I saw. It was the scariest animal I have ever seen. Considering the fact that there were panther sightings in this area of Oakland County, this was a very scary experience.

Since this animal darted off in the direction I needed to go to get back to my car, I was very VERY scared. Fortunately, I found another path back to the car. So please note that there are two paths that will get you in and out of the cache area.

Please be careful! I am still a little shaken up by the experience!