Saylorville Lake - Placing Caches

boasark

Hi everyone,

Just a little FYI for all of you with caches at Saylorville. I have talked to one of the rangers there about putting out a cache. They don't seem to have a problem with geocaching as long as we apply for a permit BEFORE we place a cache.

The permit states that a Geocache Placement Permit application must be completed and approved by the appropriate Corps of Engineers office before posting the cache on a geocaching website. Each office sets their own rules for this type of thing.

The permit is good for 1 year. After that date, the cache must be re-permitted or removed.

They also say that "Unauthorized cache(s) on Corps of Engineers land will be removed and the responsible person may be cited under the Federal Code of Regulations, Title 36, Part 327."

The reasoning is the security issue. They want to know what is where on their land and who is coming and going and why.

If you would like an application, you can email Jeff Rose - Jeffrey.W.Rose@usace.army.mil and they will send one out to you.

I want to keep us on their good side. Let's all comply with their rules from now on.

boasark

Hi everyone,

Just a little FYI for all of you with caches at Saylorville. I have talked to one of the rangers there about putting out a cache. They don't seem to have a problem with geocaching as long as we apply for a permit BEFORE we place a cache.

The permit states that a Geocache Placement Permit application must be completed and approved by the appropriate Corps of Engineers office before posting the cache on a geocaching website. Each office sets their own rules for this type of thing.

The permit is good for 1 year. After that date, the cache must be re-permitted or removed.

They also say that "Unauthorized cache(s) on Corps of Engineers land will be removed and the responsible person may be cited under the Federal Code of Regulations, Title 36, Part 327."

The reasoning is the security issue. They want to know what is where on their land and who is coming and going and why.

If you would like an application, you can email Jeff Rose - Jeffrey.W.Rose@usace.army.mil and they will send one out to you.

I want to keep us on their good side. Let's all comply with their rules from now on.

boasark

Boasark, i went to try and find your cache in pershing, iowa and could not find it anywhere, i was just wondering if you knew if it was still there...thank you.

Moving bumped thread from Geocaching Topics forum to Midwest forum.

I see that the OP for this thread is still an active geocacher (yay)! cheyennis9094, I recommend logging a DNF on the cache you can't find, and sending an email to boasark through the link on the cache page to the owner's profile (it's just under the cache title at the top of the page).

It's unlikely that boasark would notice that their eight year old thread got bumped for an unrelated question.