Logging Tbs At Events

kentuckygirls

Since we have not been around the geocaching curcuit long, we need to "phone a friend". We are asking because we are attending a celebrati :laughing: on tomorrow. We are new at this and have been looking at forums discussing this topic. We don't understand the logging in and out of travel bugs and coins. It appears to us that we can log several TBs and Coins, but we are reluctant to do so, unless we can take them or the TBs have a goal to meet other people. As far as the WJTB go, we didn't find them so we have decided not to log them unless we can take them with us. We want to remember how we found our caches and the area we found them. So...What should we do? Any advice you can give us would be helpful.

Thanks!

Kentuckygirls.

I think it's to get the icons on your stats page, the few I've been to have had rare coins like Mou10 bike and Geowoodstock coins that you would never see in a cache, so the owner lets others log them for the icons. It the way it is and sometimes the only way to see these types of items.

I think it's to get the icons on your stats page, the few I've been to have had rare coins like Mou10 bike and Geowoodstock coins that you would never see in a cache, so the owner lets others log them for the icons.  It the way it is and sometimes the only way to see  these types of items.

I despise this activity. The whole point of a travel bug is to travel around and be placed by many geocachers into many geocaches. So these rare travel bugs/coins only make appearances at event caches? That's not really travelling and goes against the spirit of releasing a TB into the world to find its own way. Some folk are honest and just log TBs that pass through their hands from the event cache to another cache they later visit. As for those who log a TB just cuz they saw it, you should be ashamed. What did you do for the TB? Nothing at all! You did nothing to move the TB toward its goal or help it travel.

As for those who log a TB just cuz they saw it, you should be ashamed. What did you do for the TB? Nothing at all! You did nothing to move the TB toward its goal or help it travel.

I own 5 different kinds of coins whos only goal is to be logged by other people at events. That's the "goal" of most, if not all, coins that're logged that way at events. Now, if you take a pad of paper and start writting down the number from each bug in the TB pile that's a different story.

Thanks for the replies. We decided not to attend the event. Went caching instead and found a WJTB the hard way. :rolleyes:

Was the event only about WJTBs? You probably missed a fun time and the opportunity to meet new caching buddies. TB's are just a small part of most events, and the stories of comeraderie and community that I've read on a lot of event pages are wonderful. I hope you have another event scheduled near you soon that you'll be able to attend.

Was the event only about WJTBs?  You probably missed a fun time and the opportunity to meet new caching buddies.  TB's are just a small part of most events, and the stories of comeraderie and community that I've read on a lot of event pages are wonderful.  I hope you have another event scheduled near you soon that you'll be able to attend.

I agree. You've got to attend events. They're a great place to meet other cachers and trade stories or ask questions. I've met a lot of cachers at events and made some good friends. I've also learned some things from listening to people talk.

As far as logging the TBs, that's up to you. Some cachers say it's bad because you didn't move the TB along. angry-smiley-005.gif Others say it's ok because you had the TB in your hands. action-smiley-035.gif Kinda looks to be like you pays your money and takes your choice. I know some cachers that started out logging all TBs at an event and got bored with that sleeping-smiley-015.gif and now just log those TBs that they actually remove from the event and place in some other cache.

As previously stated .... it all depends upon the "GOAL" of the Travel Bug. There are definitly Event Travel Bugs .... such as the huge 5' propeller I recently signed thanks to Magellan315 who brought it along at a Women In The Outdoors event. Now... no one in their right mind would want to lug this mega-bug along with them .... but its goal is to be seen and signed.

Writing all the bug numbers down just to log them, if they are supposed to be on the move, would be unethical in my mind.

Koikeeper and I have run across bugs whose owners are fanatical about their adventure, and also owners who have abandoned their bug and do not answer any E-mails about them. We have moved bugs miles, and thousands of miles. We have held them for minutes, and months (with the owners permission because we knoew we could advance the TB dramatically toward its' goal.)

TBs just add a little more to the game. We just placed a WJTB at Eagle Point School House which is a new cache that we were lucky enough to get as a FTF. We hope that it will draw more cachers to that cache because it is very cool.

:rolleyes: ImpalaBob