.gpx Files

What kind of mapping software do you have?

I have Mapsource and what I have done is download the Tracks from my GPSr. Then I isolated specific "Active Logs" and copied those to a new map.

I saved those as .gpx format from the drop down choices in Mapsource.

After I did this, I uploaded the new .gpx file to this cool site. On the Magnalog I created, I can watch the track move just as we moved that day in search of an elusive cache.

I have an older Garmin III. Windows XP. I don't have Mapsource. What I do have is Delorme TOPO! USA.

I would think that GPSBabel could do it. Robert has put so many options in that it converted my sheltie into a poodle. All you have to do is figure out what buttons to push and in what order.

I would think that GPSBabel could do it. Robert has put so many options in that it converted my sheltie into a poodle. All you have to do is figure out what buttons to push and in what order.

I concur. I spent hours trying to get QuakeMap (or any mapping program) to read my exp600 track logs; kept looking for progrrams that could read them, not finding any. Finally I came across a poster who said he simply reads his log files right off the SD card of his eXplorist, and used GPSBabel to convert them. (I use the GUI GPSBabelWrapper.) I tried it and viola, in seconds I had a .GPX file (or many other kinds as needed).

Edited by m8o

Just to clarify that QuakeMap reads only GPX files (well, .CSV and .ZIP to be complete). If any other file is needed for import, use menu "File->Open/Save via GPSBabel" - this will call GPSBabelWrapper (installed separately) which seamlessly interfaces with QuakeMap - file contents shows up in QuakeMap right away. Same with exporting files in other than GPX formats.

Edited by quakemap
I want to know how to generate a .GPX file from the tracklog in my GPSr. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

I dont know if it will work for you but a lot of people on here talk about GSAK. My gps doesnt use any pc hookups, so I couldnt tell you but give it a shot.

BTW, "Everywhere is walking distance, if you have the time", also "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it"

- I am sure there is something out there that will do the leg work for you. Try looking up you GPSr on Google and see what links you get. Also, try searching the forums just by your GPS name. Someone might have already asked about your specific GPSr and GPX files in a previous thread...

:P

GSAK will export in gpx form -

From the help for Export -

Export GPX/LOC File 

Use this toolbar button to generate a waypoint file in a format compatible with the GPX/LOC files generated by www.geocaching.com.

The GPX format gives you the full functionality of that format, including waypoint descriptions and logs, which enables applications like GSAK to create offline HTML files.

The LOC file export allows you to take advantage of all the GSAK features (filters, smart name, and so on); then you can import this file into EasyGPS for upload to your GPS receiver.

See the GPX and LOC Files help topic for a discussion on these two file formats.

cc\