Poison Ivy

Here's the story... I'm VERY allergic to poision ivy. I can't possiby be the only one this allergic that goes geocaching (I did a seartch for "poision ivy" and didn't find anything though...), so I thought I'd ask for some advice.

Yesterday I was geocaching with my family and we all wore long pants, gloves and shoes. After we got home I took a cool shower with soap. This morning I have posion ivy on my feet, my hands, my legs, etc. All places that were covered by clothes.

Is anyone else very allergice to poision ivy? Does anyone have suggestions? Anything else I can do to try to prvent it? What to do after I get it (I do have a presciption cream form the doctor)?

Thanks,

Kyle

Edited by xvegan88x

TECNU is supposed to be effective for washing down immediately after exposure to poison ivy. (Within a couple hours) I recently found myself traipsing across a field of poison ivy in sandals and shorts; a fellow cacher gave me some TECNU when we returned to the car and I had no problem whatsoever. It's possible, though, that I just don't react to PI in the first place.

ZANFEL is supposed to be effective once the rash breaks out, so it might be useful if you don't realize you were exposed. It's fairly expensive, though, and I understand it's somewhat like washing with sand -- ouch!

Both should be available OTC at a good pharmacy.

After PI rash: Zanfel's the best. It's not cheap, but when you're suffering from PI, it's worth it. Make sure to follow the directions--a little can go a long way. I've found it at Walgreens and WalMart. Tecnu's good too, but I found Zanfel more effective. The other lotions (Benadryl, Caladryl, etc.) seem to temporarily soothe the itch, but not heal the rash, and they can leave you feeling greasy. AS WZK mentioned, Zanfel is like washing with gritty sand, but it feels surprisingly wonderful when you have PI. :blink:

After hiking trails: Even when I'm not sure about having come in contact with PI, I take a lukewarm (not hot, don't want to open those pores too much just in case) shower and use Burt's Bees poison-ivy soap. It helps remove some of the PI oil if it exists and contains jewel weed, a natural ingredient to fight irritations. I've found it can reduce or eliminate minor outbreaks. Check for local outlets that carry Burt's Bees products at burtsbees.com. The PI soap comes in individual bars or in sample size in their Naturals Remdies kit.

Edited by Teach2Learn

The thing about poison ivy that you have to remember is that what gives you the rash in an oil. Living in the South, where there are acres and acres of the stuff, it is a daily hassle when outside. The best plan is to avoid it where you can, and when you cant try to avoid breaking the plant as that will release more of the oil (which is also in the sap). The other thing to note is that once you have come into contact with it, it can soak into/through clothes, and can stay there for a long time if you dont wash them out. That said, it is conceivable that you got expose when removing your clothing.

On a side note. In the past few years I have noticed that taking the reight precautions you can avoid getting a rash. Washing off as soon possible after exposure helps alot. I have also noticed that when I am takng alergy medicine, it dont react as badly, unless I do something stupid. I am currently nursing about 6 small spots on my leg that I got as a result of cutting grass in shorts last week.

Yesterday one of my daughters managed to get PI on her face. I think she was looking for the cache to hard.

Kids if it looks like a mitten with jagged edges leave it be!

leaflets three, let it be

leaflets three, let be

leaves be three, leave be

if leaves be three, leave it be

Here is a website that might help : shows what it looks like in all seasons...ect...

Poison Ivy

As for a good soap if you can make your own or find someone that does Tea Tree LYE soap works wonders. Also Slippery Elm bark powder in a cold (warning hot water opens pores and lets it in more)bath will help after words use Witchhazle to help dry it up. You can also Washing with Dawn/Joy/Palmolive dishwashing liquid (any modern dishwashing detergent with a "degreaser" agent - not just normal soap!)

Here's a scary thought: The oil can remain active on footwear, clothes, and tools, etc. for as long as a year. :blink:

Did a Google on it and got 1.7 million hits. Of those the very first page seems likely to cover the majority of relevant topics on the subject. :blink:

Too bad you didn't post a link or two - THAT would have been helpful to the OP, instead of just condescending. ;)

I did a search on poison ivy and got 25 hits..............strange.  :blink:

must be my spelling ;)

Thanks for the replys ;-)

edit: I know I could have tried google, but I wanted to hear from other geocachers who have a good idea of what does and does not work (though I'm sure the same thing doesn't work for everyone). Anyway, thanks for all the replies.

Edited by xvegan88x
Yesterday one of my daughters managed to get PI on her face. I think she was looking for the cache to hard.

Kids if it looks like a mitten with jagged edges leave it be!

leaflets three, let it be

leaflets three, let be

leaves be three, leave be

if leaves be three, leave it be

Here is a website that might help : shows what it looks like in all seasons...ect...

Poison Ivy

As for a good soap if you can make your own or find someone that does Tea Tree LYE soap works wonders. Also Slippery Elm bark powder in a cold (warning hot water opens pores and lets it in more)bath will help after words use Witchhazle to help dry it up. You can also Washing with Dawn/Joy/Palmolive dishwashing liquid (any modern dishwashing detergent with a "degreaser" agent - not just normal soap!)

Here's a scary thought: The oil can remain active on footwear, clothes, and tools, etc. for as long as a year. :blink:

Thanks for that link.

I am embarassed to say that I have never paid attention to the stuff and couldn't identify it if my life depended on it. I must not react to it. But, I will now know what to look for and keep my kids out of it.

Poison Ivy

1. I am amazed at the difference in appearances of poison ivy between the seasons and locales.

2. I am amazed at the photo of the guy's foot in the gallery...the one with the Vodkice bottle in it.

3. Having contracted a bit of PI earlier this summer and recovered after many days of applying ointment and wishing it would go away, I am going to invest in some Ivy Block to use before caching.

One question...I was told poison ivy is not a probelm in the winter. Is there a certain temperature which renders poison ivy ineffective? or dead?

One question...I was told poison ivy is not a probelm in the winter. Is there a certain temperature which renders poison ivy ineffective? or dead?

It's less of a problem in the winter when the plants die back...HOWEVER, it is still possible to contract it as the oil is still contained in the plants and leaves that remain.

The sap isn't flowing, so you have less risk, but dead PI is still PI!!!

It's less of a problem in the winter, because the leaves are off the vines--but the vines themselves can release the urushiol oil as well, and sometimes it's easier to get into it in the winter because a naked vine is harder to identify than one with "leaves of three."

The oil itself is very difficult to deactivate--it's known to stay toxic for years...

One question...I was told poison ivy is not a probelm in the winter.  Is there a certain temperature which renders poison ivy ineffective?  or dead?

It's less of a problem in the winter, because the leaves are off the vines--but the vines themselves can release the urushiol oil as well, and sometimes it's easier to get into it in the winter because a naked vine is harder to identify than one with "leaves of three."

The oil itself is very difficult to deactivate--it's known to stay toxic for years...

Hey, if two sources say it, then it MUST be true!!! :laughing:

American Academy of Dermatology:

"Wash your clothing in a washing machine with detergent. If you bring the clothes into your house, be careful that you do not transfer the urushiol to rugs or furniture. You may also dry clean contaminated clothes. Because urushiol can remain active for months, wash camping, sporting, fishing, or hunting gear that was in contact with the oil."

Kyle, the website mentioned by One Crazy Girl Scout Leader is excellent. I referred to it several times during my recent bout of geo-caching induced poison ivy. I too, evidently, am extremely allergic. My PI required a trip to the emergency clinic, a shot of steroids, and a 16-day regimen of oral steroids. I'm probably going to end up with permanent scars on one arm from the extreme blistering in one spot.

If your poison ivy starts spreading, you need to go see a doctor ASAP! I didn't realize my rash wasn't typical, but my husband did. It can get in your bloodstream and then just start appearing different places on your body, even parts that didn't come in contact with the plant oil. The rash IS NOT CONTAGIOUS. Only the oil can spread the rash, not touching the rash or blisters.

I am also very prone to PI. I have also had very good luck with the following precautions.

1. Always wear long pants and long sleeves.

2. PI will get you in any season...Summer or Winter.

3. Technu and any other types of creams such as this will afford you extra time to wash away the oils before the rash will set in. Cold water and regular soap will do the same trick but you must apply within 1-hour. Technu will extend this to approximately 8-hours.

4. As soon as you get home strip away all clothing and immediately scrub down with Technu (or any of the other creams). Scrub down with no water and very vigorous scrubbing action. Then rinse off with COLD water. The COLD water shower is nasty but is better than than the rash.

4a. Immediately also wash your clothes and handle them as little as possible. If possible handle all exposed clothes with disposable gloves and wash down anything else that the clothes may have contacted with alcohol (including your car seats, coats, etc.). Throw away the gloves and make sure you turn them inside out when taking them off and only handle them by the internal surface (the surfaces not exposed to the oils).

5. I have been informed that if you are very prone to PI that you should carry a supply of those moist alcohol-based towelettes with you. If you think you have had contact with PI then IMMEDIATELY scrub the affected area with the towelettes. Have not actually tried this but have had many who claim this is the best defense.

Good luck. I have had no problem PI even though I think I am still very prone to it. Haven't had an outbreak in 10-years but can say I have taken very serious steps to prevent them as well. When I was a kid I used to have endure six injections each Spring to combat the outbreaks and even still I used to get covered head to toe. We actually found out later that I was getting the oils from the coat of my dog!

As a dermatologist, I feel obligated to chip in...

Wash it off.

Wash the clothes.

If the rash starts, see a physician. There is very little that you can get without a prescription that is effective.

As stated earlier, the fluid in the blisters will NOT spread the poison ivy/rash.

Contrary to what was stated earlier, the urushiol (the oil in poison ivy which causes the allergic reaction) will not be absorbed into the bloodstream. The rash may appear at different times in different locations based on the amount and/or concentration of urushiol which contacts the skin.

SkinGuy

I'm allergic to just about everything on the planet (even rodents -- why would someone be allergic to rodents?) but not poison ivy. I have tested this theory several times (even on purpose, and without washing the skin afterwards & no problems).

I'm not any help, but I can't believe anyone hasn't quoted the Simpsons episode where they discuss PI:

Marge: Leaves of 3, let it be

Homer: Leaves of 4, eat some more!

Bec

I don't know about Ivy, but the only time I got Poison Oak is IN THE WINTER.

The leaves have fallen off & the woody stems look like 100 other shrubs.

Fortunately, the Reno area has neither, but I used to live along coastal CA. :laughing:

The thing you need to remember is that the oil can be transfered.

If you have a pet who runs thru the stuff & gets it on his fur,

you pet him & it's on your hands or clothes.

When you get home, take your shirt & pants off and TURN THEM INSIDE OUT.

You'll not be so likely to have it rub off your clothes on to something else which can later contact you.

Laundry soap cleans the oil away, the sooner the better. :laughing:

I'm allergic to just about everything on the planet (even rodents -- why would someone be allergic to rodents?) but not poison ivy.  I have tested this theory several times (even on purpose, and without washing the skin afterwards & no problems).

I'm not any help, but I can't believe anyone hasn't quoted the Simpsons episode where they discuss PI:

Marge: Leaves of 3, let it be

Homer: Leaves of 4, eat some more!

Bec

Sensitivity to poison ivy/oak/sumac can vary during a person's lifetime. I was very reactive when I was a kid (some bad rashes from fly fishing trips in the Adirondack Mountains), but seem not to be reactive now <fingers crossed>. From what I've read, it also can go the other way (non-reactive to reactive), so I wouldn't be deliberately exposing myself to poison ivy even though I seem to have developed an immunity.

The best advice has already been given:

1) learn to recognize it and avoid it if possible (given the variations among locations, growing conditions and seasons, this can be very difficult - "leaves of three, leave it be" is the best all 'round advice, even though it means avoiding many non-poisonous plants).

2) Wear long pants (also helps with the pricker bushes that seem to grow in proximity to every cache). :laughing: "Tropic weight" pants (see LLBean for example) aren't noticably warmer than shorts and afford much better protection.

3) If you think you might have been exposed, wash yourself and your clothing ASAP.

4) If you get a serious rash, see a doctor.

5) Don't let it ruin the fun of geocaching!

Life happens - and is inherently risky. There's no fun in always being afraid!

Paranoia strikes deep

Into your life it will creep

It starts when you're always afraid...

Edited by Kai Team

My husband is very allergic to it. He eventually had to get a poison Ivy shot. He would get one once a month and that helped tremendously. He is a Forester and is constantly in the woods. He would also carry alcohol and alcohol pads with him. As soon as he got back to his truck, he sould rinse off his exposed arms with alcohol and wipe his face and neck with the pads. That seemed to help him as well. He really wouldn't get the bumps so bad as it would make his neck and face swell. THose things seem to help him tolerate it pretty well these days.

I have bought a bunch of these and my motto is get the oils as much as you can with these and then a hot shower with cheap soap when I get home. Seems to really keep it to a minimum for me. I get patches of it on the "softer" parts of my skin.

:laughing: no, not what you are thinking. Like my inner arms, and behind my knees. :(