Great Caches No One Goes To

One of my Favorite caches in Connecticut is "Domestically Disabled" (GCGC39 ), its a good hide and a great hike, and the views rank amungst the best in the state, yet the traffic on this cache is terrible.

Do you have any favorite caches in your area, that no one goes to?

7 Utes Lodge is a fav of mine that gets little traffic. It is a multi in a non-tourist area of CO and requires a major bushwack up a mountian. There is a sort of old logging road trail, but not really despite what the most current log says about a trail. Regardless, people seem to find the "trail" on the way back. It was a great cache with many interesting things to see along the way. One of my top favorites!

Edit: Mmmmm beer! (sorry, forum thing.... I like beer). :D

Edited by carleenp
Most multis - people just don't seem to even attempt them - regardless of difficulty.

That is generally true. No matter how short and easy they are, most cachers it seems can't be bothered with them.

I went after my first multis last Thursday and I think I enjoyed them more than the regular ones.... but then again, what do I know, just started at the begining of June :blink:

We have a few great ones here. They are all pretty hard (I have one of the easy ones), but you don't even see attempts on a lot of them.

My easy one is accessible from the streetcar, pretty close to City Park, it is all in one cemetery, and doesn't take much longer than a regular traditional.

But I guess there are a lot of people who'd rather attempt 40 caches in City Park - they haven't found all the local caches. From my point of view, I have to find whatever gets put out, because I'm usually up to date with all the local caches.

One of my Favorite caches in Connecticut is "Domestically Disabled" (GCGC39 ), its a good hide and a great hike, and the views rank amungst the best in the state, yet the traffic on this cache is terrible.

Do you have any favorite caches in your area, that no one goes to?

Interesting. We had planned on camping at Macedonia this weekend; but at the last minute decided to go to American Legion instead. Had we gone to Macedonia, we probably would have done that cache, since we were kidless this weekend and it's one of the few good caches in that area we haven't done yet.

When making a bookmark list of my favorite finds, it quickly became apparent that the majority of my most memorable finds are multis. I think it's obvious that more cachers want to find as many as possible in as short a time as possible. Multis do usually take longer, but often provide more fun. It can be nice to have some cache (yes, numbers') runs, but when I want to log a landmark cache, it's often a multi or part of a series.

Interesting that Carleen mentioned 7 Utes Lodge. This one was on my list on the day that I went to Baker Pass, but I ran out of time, and was never able to get back to it.

Baker Pass is one of the great spots in Colorado, yet has had only one visit in 4 years. Hard to understand, since it is in the middle of the Rockies and only a few miles from Rocky Mountain National Park.

Tahosa is right when he says that those who seek his caches tend to be highly satisified. Several of his are on my list of favorites: Gray Diamond Ghost Trail, Truely a Heart Transplant, Bishop's Staff, Drake's Dilemma, Glidden's Wares, Buck Hunt, and Lil Tahosa's Mountain Cache.

One of these days, I'll be able to get back and find The Dessert!

Most multis - people just don't seem to even attempt them - regardless of difficulty.

That is generally true. No matter how short and easy they are, most cachers it seems can't be bothered with them.

I had never heard this before...but I guess it explains some things.

I had 99 finds and wanted to get an FTF for my 100th - I targeted one about an hour away, which had been sitting unfound for at least a week after it was placed. It was a multi, so now I wonder if that's why. Other new "regular" caches placed in the same area had already been snatched up. Fine by me, I got the FTF and had a great experience for my 100th. It was only one redirector not far from the final ammo can near the shore of a nice lake.

I don't understand the avoidance of multis, but I guess I don't need to. To each his own.