Disk Logo List

Black Dog Trackers

all the way across the galaxy
Wow ! That is an amazing surveying tool !!! :laughing:

Last I read, getting parallax distances to a few cepheid variable stars will be a really important step in getting a big increase in the accuracy of measuring the distances of the distant galaxies, but the Hipparcos satellite wasn't quite able to get good parallaxes of cepheid variables since the closest are still too far away, so we are waiting for the next satellite that might be able get cepheid variable parallaxes (I forget its name). Does your system have a possibility of bridging this measuring gap sooner?

Mega-surveying tools, an interesting subject ! :laughing:

BDT, no I can't do Cepheids. That would be sweet. There are two optical parallax satellite missions coming out in the next decade, GAIA and SIM, that should be able to get optical parallaxes to some Cepheids.

I'm using maser emission of water, frequency 22GHz/wavelength ~1cm. Essentially, it's a one pass astrophysical laser where water in a cloud on the line of sight is in the high energy state, and a passing photon with the right energy spontaneously kicks it down to the lower state, emitting the same photon again in the same direction. Now you've got 2, soon 4, etc. and soon you have a whole lot of light coming down a narrow beam. Thus, we can see them across the galaxy/into other galaxies.

However, very few stars, mostly young early types and late evolved types, have this emission. I'm working with proto-planetary nebulae (or pre-planetary), which are a late type evolved star, and am looking to do this with a small set of planetary nebulae which have the water maser emission. For those not in the know, this is the parallax measurement, pretty much what I'm doing, same instrument:

http://www.nrao.edu/pr/2007/starfmparallax/

except that they're working on the birth end of stars.

Edited by BuckBrooke

Two others:

• DE5202 has a photo on the NGS site - don't know if you want to link to that or not.
  • MY0038 is a nifty US C&GS disk I didn't see around (along with MY0045), probably dating from WWII.

Edit to add:

• JV3373 seems to be a new twist on a PA Dept of Highways marker.
  • LX4112 is a new version of the USGS in cooperation with the state marker.

Edited by Shorelander

FYI, a bunch of survey marks from various Indian tribes in the Eastern U.S. just got put up on eBay. They're all from BLM cadastral surveys, but each has a different tribe name and graphic. There's also one that's not from a tribe, but mentions both the NPS and the BLM.

Patty

Patty,

Thanks for the heads up, I think, I bought four of these via my wife, while I was out of town. I told her that I was really interested in the NPS BLM disk, but would be interested in any if they went low. Two bids that I put in, went at my bid and then she had two other bids. Anyway, I received them yesterday and all are from Berntsen; I have a display case with other cadastral(which I have perpetuated in the field) and USGS-USC&GS-NGS destroyed marks, 1800's era transits and solars, also BT tags and various assorted historical survey related items. The new additions are very nice, but I payed more than I intended.

Display 1

Display 2

CallawayMT

Edited by CallawayMT

Calloway, sorry to take this thread so far OT, but I've got to ask. Have you tried out the solar compass attachment and if so what azimuth accuracy do you get with it?

I love looking at those old instruments. I am acquainted with a nearby dealer who once owned and displayed one of the 5 or 6 original Solar Compass instruments built by Young for W.A. Burt. If I didn't have anything else to do, I'd like to build a workable (though not authentic looking) solar compass, but will never dedicate enough time to do it.

A different version of the NGS Vertical Control Mark

AX0018

Not sure if you want non-disk benchmarks or not. Here is a great chiseled square in a block of stone marked, USBM

AX0038

Another non-disk: Bolt surrounded by USBM

BM0356

Here's a good new one from the State of Texas: Reclamation Department !

AX0991 (TX) State of Texas - Reclamation Department - Austin

AX1286 (US) U.S. Geological Survey - Pipe Cap

Not sure what to make of this one. The datasheet says it's an Azimuth Disk, but

they used a "Triangulation Station" disk (it is so stamped). But even so, you don't

appear to have this disk listed...

BM0534 (US) National Geodetic Survey - Triangulation Station

I'm going to try to get an update today.

Doc, on your photo for the NGS Vertical Control Mark variant, because the disk is partially covered I'm having a tough time picking out variant details. What did you notice?

BDT's initial suggestions for the list were for disk type markers; at one point the NGS folks were putting together a photo page to show all the types. We'll see if that's in their website update.

The Texas disk is new; thanks!

The USGS pipecap is listed under USGS - Corner Station. Perhaps I should indicate it's a pipecap. Also, the BM0534 disk is a USC&GS Triangulation Station disk, also listed.

Edited by BuckBrooke

Calloway, sorry to take this thread so far OT, but I've got to ask. Have you tried out the solar compass attachment and if so what azimuth accuracy do you get with it?

I love looking at those old instruments. I am acquainted with a nearby dealer who once owned and displayed one of the 5 or 6 original Solar Compass instruments built by Young for W.A. Burt. If I didn't have anything else to do, I'd like to build a workable (though not authentic looking) solar compass, but will never dedicate enough time to do it.

Bill93,

Good eye on the solar attachment on the transit. That is an 1890's era W & L.E. Gurley Engineer's Transit with original Solar Attachment. This was bought and used by my wife's great-grandfather throughout the first half of the 1900's in Sanders County, Montana. He was the County Surveyor for over 50 years. Her Grandparents gave me the instrument, as I was the only Surveyor in their family.

I have to admit that I have not taken the time to figure out the solar attachment, and even using the transit is very difficult compared to today's instruments. The 1900 Gurley catalog shows the declination arc to read to thirty seconds. I tried to read the scale, but do not have the magnifying glass and could not quite read it. Some of the other instruments are in my care as the Historical Chairman for our State Surveying Society.

I really do enjoy looking at the old surveying instruments, equipment and monuments; it really makes me appreciate the history and work that was performed in my profession.

Thanks,

CallawayMT

I'm going to try to get an update today.

Doc, on your photo for the NGS Vertical Control Mark variant, because the disk is partially covered I'm having a tough time picking out variant details. What did you notice?

BDT's initial suggestions for the list were for disk type markers; at one point the NGS folks were putting together a photo page to show all the types. We'll see if that's in their website update.

The Texas disk is new; thanks!

The USGS pipecap is listed under USGS - Corner Station. Perhaps I should indicate it's a pipecap. Also, the BM0534 disk is a USC&GS Triangulation Station disk, also listed.

DOH! I didn't look closely enough at the NGS Vertical Control. You're right - part of it is actually covered up. Never mind on that one...

This is an interesting thread which I haven't seen before since I'm a newbie. I hiked and bushwacked 6 miles to find a triangulation station on Pointy Knob at Cannan Valley, WV. The disk is a variation of a USGS disk I haven't seen before. It has "In cooperation with the State of West Virginia" stamped on it.

JW1287

Pointybenchmark.jpg

It's the only one I've seen like it so far.

Edited by 89SC

c3089842-0394-45ce-a114-10025eb91849.jpg

DF7156

Looks a bit like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, but it's cute.

Anyone notice the UFOs hovering over that one room school? It also looks like the large 2000 at the bottom was botched, so it was stamped in small at the top of the picture.

Good find Harry! Yup, cute, even if it is one of the newer ones. :laughing:

Have you found any others to see any differences? Maybe they have a set of "scenery" stampings for this series. Now I like that idea. It would make benchmarking even more interesting to see what kind of disk art was waiting in a line of marks.

Did you hear that, TPTPD (The Powers That Place Disks)? I would like to see a line of disks with several different picture scenes on them placed around for us to find. Like that is gonna happen anytime real soon.

Shirley~

It's a 2002 disk. Guess I didn't put on enough corn starch. I think it's the only Borough of Florham Park disk with an NGS datasheet. The one room schoolhouse is their symbol (even though they had to move it to widen the highway). Yes, it's a new one, but I'm running out of old ones to hunt in Morris County, unless I invade the NS&W railroad, or the small airport. And it'll add to the count to color Morris County darker. :laughing:

Well, I'm amazed at all the different kinds of marks that are in the NGS database around the country.

Meanwhile, where I live here in Northern New Mexico, the only things in the NGS database seem to be only some old C&GS benchmarks (half are missing!) and a few USGS triangulation stations.

Most of the benchmarks shown on our local topo maps aren't in the database...

This is a U.S.C. & G.S. AND STATE SURVEY marker, set by the Massachusetts Geodetic Survey in 1934 as State Traverse Station 11MB. It serves as a reference mark for MY3577, Massachusetts North Base, a copper bolt set in 1844 by Alexander Bache, head of the Coast Survey.

I know this thread doesn't do bolts, but it's such a nice old bolt I'll put it in any way :).

Mass Traverse Station 11MB

b90f9c32-2623-4e50-b344-df404323a3f0.jpg

Massachusetts North Base (1844 copper bolt)

91d303af-2b3f-4ff1-8f48-9df8ad3b11e3.jpg

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Here's one from the Department of Veteran's Affairs; do we have this one listed yet?

I've been meaning to waymark this one; I visit it often.

cd93d523-6b16-432a-894e-3e24e3b94f52.jpg

BTW Does anyone recognize the coordinate system?

Is it meters east and north of some point? Maybe greenwhich meridian at equator?

Probably State Plane Coordinates. If you gave us the lat-lon coordinates we could try conversions to find out if it is meters or feet. SPC usually are in one or the other.

The reference point is not a marked location. Rather SPC are computed by mathematical transformation from lat-lon. Search on CORPSCON if you want to get into doing transformations. The "origin" is usually outside the area of interest so that coordinates never change sign.

The coordinates on the disk, when converted from California State Plane Coordinates Zone 3, NAD27, feet come out near NAD83 (probably set in your GPS. If WGS84 it will still be close enough) Lat-Lon N37 06.962 W121 04.759, which is 387 feet NNW of your waymark".

SPC aren't too confusing until you have to figure out not only the zone but also whether it is meters or feet and which datum.

Edited by Bill93

Bill

Thanks again

I'm using WGS84 in my Meridian.

Found my log, I have

N37 06.961 W121 04.760

Only 1/1000th of a minute of from your computations - not bad I'd say.

My 100 yard guess was pretty close also.

I better get on with my Waymarking.

I have a few to add. None are in the NGS database to my knowledge.

Federal Highway Administration - Blank Disk (type not yet on Buckbrooke's list) It's a beauty.

f08e5eb6-a2f6-4aa3-b1dc-3577a426ce55.jpg

City of Spokane Washington. Unique design.

3d43f801-a4b4-4519-a7a6-2e1f7f6200a9.jpg

City of The Dalles (two styles) Oregon

The Dalles - Type 1

Dalles City - Type 2

f8e39641-f226-42df-a6b5-c1c896acae4c.jpg

19589904-157a-4f35-8c62-8d10831df89b.jpg

There is a David Evans and Associates disk on the list in Washington State but I have found what may be a second type here in Oregon.

M&M photo of Washington mark: I had a laugh at their X marks the spot photo here.

48838_100.jpg

Mark in Oregon

829a1b98-eba3-4da4-a0f2-2b2ecf410c09.jpg

I think this might be a new one

Southern California Edison Company

On a recent trip to Laughlin I happened upon this one and waymarked it

Currently waiting on approval; I'm assuming it'll be Black Dog Trackers approving it again - maybe you can create a new agency for me? I think that might be the third or fourth new agency I've needed over there.

Looking at the text stamped

RLS 7

POL

Which is the designator? I'm kinda assuming RLS 2050 is the surveyor; so either POL or 7 would be the designator - I think 7

Well, here's the pic

fdc828e9-536e-4053-830b-6c3f8478cd3f.JPG

And the waymark link

SCE Monument

I hadn't seen Buckner's site until I saw the recent thread about its whereabouts. Here are a couple disk types I found this week that aren't shown on his site. Both are set since 2000 so they aren't on GC.com.

Here is DH5763 C 232, an Arizona DOT Right of Way Survey Control disk:

1238c650-bdad-4570-9253-4fcd8d6675f2.jpg

and here's DH5783 WAUGHITAL, a Cochise County Highway and Floodplain Department disk:

4f35201a-d6c9-406f-ac7c-2e6bdf7fcfa5.jpg

Edited by southpawaz