Disk Logo List

Black Dog Trackers

Here's an unusual mark I found near the George Washington Memorial Parkway just outside of D.C.

The National Park Service has been doing some invasive plant species removal for several years in the immediate area.

In person, this one looks almost like a "toy benchmark", since it is 3 inches in diameter and made of aluminum.

9c24a0ef-c7d4-4421-88f3-60912efc088c.jpg

Not that it's any kind of official type marker, but here is a large marker from Bryce Natl Park. I asked in the visitor center about markers in the park, other than the one at Bryce Point. The lady I asked didn't know of any, then remembered this one had been set at the base of the flagpole outside the center.

brycevisitor.JPG

Hi TillaMurphs,

That disk is really interesting! It looks like some kind of cover for some gadget, but there it is in the NGS database, so it's a geodetic disk.

Anyway, the Gnomonclature website belongs to BuckBrooke, not me. He gives his email at the bottom of the introductory paragraphs on that page so that he can be sent new disk type information.

This one

1966_200.jpg

HT3417

is on the disk link Gnomonclature and is interesting because the DATASHEET shows the entire history. I would like to see that for all RESET's.

Also, the RM2 that was used during the reset process was a pipe cap set in 1895:

REFERENCE MARK NUMBER 2, A CROSS ON TOP OF A PIPE

HT3417'CAP THAT IS STAMPED COYOTE RIDGE 2[2 is a typo in this 1959 recovery] NO 2 1895, WAS RECOVERED

HT3417'IN GOOD CONDITION.

There are two logs with pictures of the RESET and the new RM3 but no mention or photo of the old RM2. Looks like a nice spot but way out of my territory. kayakbird

I found this older style Corp of Engineers Disk yesterday, haven't seen one before. A bit different style than the one shown on the Gnomonclature site, this one has separate spaces for stamping name and elevation, as well as the "Fort Sam Houston Texas". Looks like the C&GS crew may have run out of tri station disks and borrowed a few, both reference mark disks and the azimuth mark are standard C&GS.

0e310538-1681-4bb4-9411-d06a23a480f5.jpg

CG1114 MONTANA

Back in 2005, BuckBrooke (Buckner Creel) created a page and gave a link (about 3/4 down on page 1 of this thread). It was on a university web site where he was a grad student. After this many years, I'm not surprised if he's moved on and the university cleaned out his account. That username has not logged into this site in the last 2.5 years.

Edited by Bill93

Back in 2005, BuckBrooke (Buckner Creel) created a page and gave a link (about 3/4 down on page 1 of this thread). It was on a university web site where he was a grad student. After this many years, I'm not surprised if he's moved on and the university cleaned out his account. That username has not logged into this site in the last 2.5 years.

That's right - I remember Buckner Creel - I'll send a message thru GC ..y'never know - the info could still be out there somewhere! Thanks!