Autorouting On 60cs...

On the Garmin 60CS, when using autorouting to go to a location (i.e. Using FIND then choosing a location) is there a way to tell the 60CS to "route via"?

An example might be...

I have told my 60CS to autoroute to a location. I choose the location...Follow Road...Fastest Way. The route it calculates happens to have a road under construction of which I am aware. I want it to go around this area so I either want it to "avoid" this road or "route via" another road.

Not directly from the Find menu, I don't think you can. But if you set up a route (which can consist of the one point from the find menu, and one point that you add from the find menu or the map), you can then tell it to run that route in a follow-road mode, and it should do what you want if you have the points in the right order. At least, this worked for me on the Vista C.

Keith

I also have a new 60CS. It is my understanding that if you setup a goto a address and then go a different way (e.g. to avoid a road under construction), it will update the route as you go for the most direct way relative to where you are. Can someone verify that?

this is correct. you miss the turn and it will recalculate. i did this several times on a long road trip. the unit wanted me to take a small highway rather than the interstate. everytime it simply recalculated. this was using the basemap only.

to take full advantage or auto routing you (and me) need to purchase City Select.

:D I can verify what bholzman said. I have the 60cs with city select v6.5 installed and anytime I need to go on a detour or preferred street, I do and it automatically recalulates the route as I'm driving. As long as you have entered goto your final waypoint you can detour around all you want and it just keeps updating. Aint it cool???

My friend and I have gotten some big laughs while watching her poor 60CS recalculate when we forget to pay attention to it and make the wrong turn/turns.

The poor thing obediently recalculates, but one of these days it just might go on strike and lecture us about what one beep means, and what two beeps mean, and how we shouldn't turn until told to. :D

Edited by idiosyncratic
My friend and I have gotten some big laughs while watching her poor 60CS recaculate when we forget to pay attention to it and make the wrong turn/turns.

The poor thing obediently recalculates, but one of these days it just might go on strike and lecture us about what one beep means, and what two beeps mean, and how we shouldn't turn until told to. :D

I do the same thing, except when mine starts beeping, I imagine it is thinking "no you idiot, I said turn back there!"