Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

An idea. Assuming that Jon gets the coin back in the auction, he could turn around and sell it for a charity. Then he might get a tax deduction (I don't know how ebay on that works) and the coin would give something back by both having the first sale go to the memorial coin fundraising and then again to charity raising?  Just a random thought!  :anitongue:

Ooh, I like this idea! ;) I think everyone wins with this scenario!

Here's what I say we do: Let the current auction proceed as posted. No auction removals, nobody losing eBay privileges, etc. After the auction ends, whomever wins (I assume it will be me at this point, but who knows?) puts the coin back up on eBay and auctions it off with 100% of the proceeds going to charity.

Thanks, Carleen! Now I just have to figure out what charity I will choose!

So, if you are planning to bid on this coin: WAIT!!!

I hereby declare anyone who bids less than $1K on the current auction a weasel.

And if you want to bid over $1K: WAIT!!!

Edited by pdxmarathonman
An idea. Assuming that Jon gets the coin back in the auction, he could turn around and sell it for a charity. Then he might get a tax deduction (I don't know how ebay on that works) and the coin would give something back by both having the first sale go to the memorial coin fundraising and then again to charity raising?  Just a random thought!  :anitongue:

Here's what I say we do: Let the current auction proceed as posted. No auction removals, nobody losing eBay privileges, etc. After the auction ends, whomever wins (I assume it will be me at this point, but who knows?) puts the coin back up on eBay and auctions it off with 100% of the proceeds going to charity.

OK - Jon, we never got to speak on the phone, but here's my plan. I have no idea where this auction will end - and I certainly hope you are the winner - if you re-auction it for charity, it will go for a much, much higher price. Any proceeds left over from this current auction, after the memorial coins, will go to minting geocoins for Corgi Aid and 100% of the proceeds from those coins will be donated.

I'll make sure you and the WSGA are notifed and it's confirmed once the coins are made.

Sound OK?

An idea. Assuming that Jon gets the coin back in the auction, he could turn around and sell it for a charity. Then he might get a tax deduction (I don't know how ebay on that works) and the coin would give something back by both having the first sale go to the memorial coin fundraising and then again to charity raising?  Just a random thought!  ;)

Normally, I'd refrain from commenting after a closure on an issue, but here goes.

Fatboy586's alleged "investigative bids" ruined the chance of this auction achieving a legitimate result within the eBay policies. Another 0 feedback "weasel" can bid just under Moun10bike's proxy amount. Under these circumstances, it would have been appropriate to end the auction early, as Beefcider can legitimately claim that fatboy586 compromised the integrity of the auction.

That's why I was hinting on ending the auction early. This potentially has the benefit of closure to avoid further speculations on motives and snide remarks, some of which we will never see in public. :anitongue:

An idea. Assuming that Jon gets the coin back in the auction, he could turn around and sell it for a charity. Then he might get a tax deduction (I don't know how ebay on that works) and the coin would give something back by both having the first sale go to the memorial coin fundraising and then again to charity raising?  Just a random thought!  ;)

Ooh, I like this idea! :) I think everyone wins with this scenario!

Normally, I'd refrain from commenting after a closure on an issue, but here goes.

Fatboy586's alleged "investigative bids" ruined the chance of this auction achieving a legitimate result within the eBay policies. Another 0 feedback "weasel" can bid just under Moun10bike's proxy amount. Under these circumstances, it would have been appropriate to end the auction early, as Beefcider can legitimately claim that fatboy586 compromised the integrity of the auction.

That's why I was hinting on ending the auction early. This potentially has the benefit of closure to avoid further speculations on motives and snide remarks, some of which we will never see in public. ;)

Some buyer requirements are being put in place right now so there are no zero feedback weasels to do such a thing.

There have been some snide remarks thrown my way, but I wear an asbestos suit. :anitongue:

Edited by Beefcider

That's why I was hinting on ending the auction early. This potentially has the benefit of closure to avoid further speculations on motives and snide remarks, some of which we will never see in public.  :anitongue:

You must now be pre-approved to bid on the auction - that means you have to submit your geocaching.com username as well before being approved. Anyone who has bid so far has been added to the list with the lone exception of fatboy586.

I'm thinking this transaction isn't quite a panacea if you actually follow IRS reporting guidelines. For instance, assuming the auction ended now, Moun10bike's basis in the coin would be $710-. If he donated it to a charity, technically the most he could deduct would be the $710- regardless of how much it brought for the charity. This assumes he is able to itemize deductions and the charity is qualified for tax deductible contributions. Then of course the actual federal/state tax savings would probably only be about 1/3 of the $710 deduction so at best Moun10bike is still out about $500-.

At the same time, I believe Beefcider's receiving of the $710- would technically be a taxable event to him since his cost basis on the coin is zero. His use of the proceeds would probably be viewed independently and may or may not be tax deductible to him.

I'm thinking that Moun10bike would get more bang for his buck if he just put one of his other coins up for auction. Nothing's ever easy when you have to deal with the IRS and tax deductions are often quite elusive when you actually pursue them.

Nice coins!  Let's hope we've started something that'll keep going.  Can you imagine how much money could be raised if every collector put just one coin up for charity?  Ok, not all at the same time, but you know what I mean.

Ahem, just remember who had the original idea several months ago...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5242462460

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5243446400

and finally

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8700382883

No offense Hula, but this started awhile back. With the exception of the bidders, there ain't no "WE" about it ;)

Edited by AtlantaGal

You missed the Gold GeoBone! There's several others too.

And, I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no we about it", but I hope that's not true. I hope that everyone thinks that "we" all should be doing what we can to help those less fortunate or in times of struggle, be it two leggged, four legged, on this continent or abroad (and without the lister, there is nothing for the bidder).

I just hope the charity auctions continue.

Edited by Hula Bum

I'm thinking this transaction isn't quite a panacea if you actually follow IRS reporting guidelines. For instance, assuming the auction ended now, Moun10bike's basis in the coin would be $710-. If he donated it to a charity, technically the most he could deduct would be the $710- regardless of how much it brought for the charity. This assumes he is able to itemize deductions and the charity is qualified for tax deductible contributions. Then of course the actual federal/state tax savings would probably only be about 1/3 of the $710 deduction so at best Moun10bike is still out about $500-.

At the same time, I believe Beefcider's receiving of the $710- would technically be a taxable event to him since his cost basis on the coin is zero. His use of the proceeds would probably be viewed independently and may or may not be tax deductible to him.

I'm thinking that Moun10bike would get more bang for his buck if he just put one of his other coins up for auction. Nothing's ever easy when you have to deal with the IRS and tax deductions are often quite elusive when you actually pursue them.

Of course he will be out money. However, I am working from the assumption that Jon prefers not to see his coins for sale on Ebay since he is bidding on the current one to "save it" so to speak. So a charity auction will get him a bit of the loss back and it will do something nice for some charity out there.

I will likely do a charity auction at some point myself. Not particularly for the tax deduction, but for the general nice feeling of having done something charitable. :mad:

A charity auction question: Any opinions on if it is better to pick a national charity or is a local OK? I would like to do one for ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens) which has both a national and local chapter listed for ebay donation. I thought the national mght make people more interested in bidding, but I know that the local Nebraska chapter is also in particular need of donations. Anyway, I don't have any particularly rare coins available to auction, but thought I might put up my extra benchmark coin or a geobash coin.

A charity auction question: Any opinions on if it is better to pick a national charity or is a local OK? I would like to do one for ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens) which has both a national and local chapter listed for ebay donation. I thought the national mght make people more interested in bidding, but I know that the local Nebraska chapter is also in particular need of donations. Anyway, I don't have any particularly rare coins available to auction, but thought I might put up my extra benchmark coin or a geobash coin.

In all honesty I'd pick the one that you wish to support. If that means local then it's local. If you are hoping to generate the most money for the coin and do the most good that way, that's another thing, but then does it really matter if it's local or national if it's all the same after a fashon?

Whichever you feel best about. Oh, and I already have a geobash coin :blink:

I'm going to put up my benchmark coin for ARC Nebraska once I get set up to sell and figure it out. I have never sold on ebay before! Only purchased! I will later probably do a geobash coin auction, which was given to me from Stunod and so will go to the charity of his choice, and I will sign the tax deduction reciept over to him on that one.

Do I have to do anything special with paypal to receive payments? I already have a paypal account and ebay made it look like that was all that was needed.

Do I have to do anything special with paypal to receive payments? I already have a paypal account and ebay made it look like that was all that was needed.

You have to have a premier or business paypal account that accepts credit cards. You also have to register on missionfish.org to have the charity info feed into your listings.

You have to have a premier or business paypal account that accepts credit cards. You also have to register on missionfish.org to have the charity info feed into your listings.

Don't you just have to be "confirmed". I got registered just this week and only recently got "confirmed" (i.e. have a bank account registered with paypal).

Don't you just have to be "confirmed". I got registered just this week and only recently got "confirmed" (i.e. have a bank account registered with paypal).

You'll be prompted to upgrade your account when the payment comes through most likely, and definitely if the buyer pays with a credit card. I was forced to upgrade during the lacy coin auction and eventhough the buyer paid with bank transfer, it still made me upgrade my account because I was over the $500 receiving limit for the month.

I just checked on paypal and it looks like the standard account can take bank account payments, but not credit cards. Since I would like to sell some non-geocaching/geocoin items on ebay in the future and the ability to take cards would be nice for that, I figure I will just upgrade now before setting up the charity auction.

As per geocoin forum rules no charity or business solicitations are permitted.

"No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable."

Please refrain from solicitations or this thread will have to be closed.

"No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable."

I can understand business solicitations, and I probably violated the rules by posting the link to a particualr coin - the question is, can a thread about charity coins be made? There are legitimate ways of confirming that it is a charity solicitation or auction, but it seems to me that this would be something beneficial to the forums - and considering the times we are in, extremely helpful. I'm sure you alone can cite numerous examples of cases where it is in dire need.

There is a fine line between discussing and soliciting for charity and it seems to me that it would be beneficial to keep the discussion here, in a moderated form, rather than have it go somewhere else.

Just my opinion. :anitongue:

I can understand business solicitations, and I probably violated the rules by posting the link to a particualr coin - the question is, can a thread about charity coins be made? There are legitimate ways of confirming that it is a charity solicitation or auction, but it seems to me that this would be something beneficial to the forums - and considering the times we are in, extremely helpful. I'm sure you alone can cite numerous examples of cases where it is in dire need.

There is a fine line between discussing and soliciting for charity and it seems to me that it would be beneficial to keep the discussion here, in a moderated form, rather than have it go somewhere else.

I was very dismayed to see the thread in charity coins shut down, especially after CO Admin and Carleen were willing to keep the thread open as long as it remained about discussing whether they should be listed here. The rapid growth of Geocoins is a recent development and the need to see if the posting guidelines regarding geocoins needs to evolve with that growth is a reasonable question.

I was very dismayed to see the thread in charity coins shut down, especially after CO Admin and Carleen were willing to keep the thread open as long as it remained about discussing whether they should be listed here. The rapid growth of Geocoins is a recent development and the need to see if the posting guidelines regarding geocoins needs to evolve with that growth is a reasonable question.

FYI I haven't been a forum moderator for over a year. Any talk Carleen and I had was that between two cachers. Neither of us has the authority to make any agreements or policy. The policy is pinned in the welcome thread of this forum. The original topic of that post was a charity auction. anything else was off topic. The mod was correct in closing that thread down.

If people want to have a discussion about whether the posted guidelines ought to be changed in regard to charity auctions of geocoins, then someone should feel free to open a separate thread for that purpose. This thread is not about what the guidelines ought to say. Neither was the thread which was closed in reliance on those guidelines.

For the record, I respect that the thread was closed. I do think that it violated the forum guidelines. I just hadn't thought about it before I made it. Eartha was doing his/her job, and I did not view it as disrespectful or heavy handed.

The thread was mixed because it's initial start violated things, and CO is right that the decision is not his to make. I can see why the mixed nature of the thread could be viewed as confusing, and hence be closed. I am OK with that.

I think the better thing to do is discuss the guidelines about linking to charity auctions in general and whether those should or should not be re-considered/revised for coins/left alone etc, instead of worrying about the closed thread.

Edit: Keystone is also right. Perhaps a separate thread should be made. I don't intend to start one though. Others obviously could. No need to muddy up this thread too. :anitongue:

Edited by carleenp

It is not ok to solicit for business or charity, as per the forum rules posted in the pinned thread up top, and I quote:

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

This forum may be used for personal selling, trading or giving away of items. Geocaching organizations are permitted to use this forum for purposes of selling, trading or giving away of geocoins.

No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board.Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

Since it continues to surface in this discussion I will have to close this thread as well. If anyone wants to know what's on ebay please visit the ebay website. As a matter of fact, this whole thread is plug for ebay.

Groundspeak would be inundated with requests for helping one charity or another. That isn't what geocaching.com is about. We are about geocaching. CITO is our good will deed. If cachers want to contribute to hurricane victims, or any such charities there are plenty places to do so out there who are very well equipped and trained to distribute the funds, and who have thousands of volunteers to help, such as the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, you name it. Google "Charities" and there are 38,000,000 hits. Choose a well known charity, give locally, give globally, but let's keep these forums about geocoins.

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving.

(and yes, I gave, thanks) ;)