Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

"Yep and Fatboy is just running up the price for his buddy. Whats the E-bay equivalent of a sock-puppet? E-bay member since Oct '04 and never bought or sold a thing. Something smells fishy. "

I hope you have something other than Fatboy joined in October 2004 to back up that statement. I could understand if he/she joined recently but over a year ago?

Oh my lord -- over $1000 now. :lol:

I'd be willing to throw $50 into a pool with others, for an equal chance to win the coin in a fair drawing. (if $2000 final price - at $50 a chance - 1 in 40). I can't front that kind of purchase, but would be willing to throw my money away for just a hair of a chance at this kind of coin.

Something smells fishy. "

I hope you have something other than Fatboy joined in October 2004 to back up that statement.  I could understand if he/she joined recently but over a year ago?

Don't particularly feel the need to back anything up. I merely posted my observation and what I thought about it.

Though on second observation I must modify my original post a bit.

Edited by CENT5
Ok everyone, get your popcorn ready and get ready to watch the auctions!

Unless something changes this persons mind, there is going to be an original Moun10Bike, yes, I'm talking about the Version 1 coin, on eBay within the next day or two.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it should be interesting for sure!

Indeed.

I have put my Moun10bike Version 1 coin up to fund the making of some memorial coins for my brother who was killed at sea in October of 2000 while flying his F/A-18C Hornet. The Auction goes live at 4:00 PST Nov. 15th. All proceeds will go to the making of the coins and they'll be placed everywhere from Kansas to Utah and Arizona.

I had originally contacted Jon about this and he said it was my choice so I'm going to go ahead. It's hard to part with a part of geocoin history, and I do have mixed feelings about it, but the idea of selling one coin to produce others of a memorial nature make it worth it to me.

I totally disagree with this! I think it is insane that people try to profit from this kind of thing. The expense of this coin was Moun10Bikes alone, how much does he make off this sale? Nothing. I am glad that Moun10Bike is trying to buy the coin back but it is insane that he will pay more for this coin than he paid to have the first 200 coins minted.

He should have been offered the opportunity to buy the coin back at a reasonable price.

Absolutely Crazy!

In a way I dont think he should even have to buy it back at all after all it is activated under his name and it is his coin no matter who has it in their collection.Although dont get me wrong this is entertaining seeing it go up in price and what people are willing to pay for a coin.

Edited by Mystery Ink
He should have been offered the opportunity to buy the coin back at a reasonable price.

I understand everyone will have their own opinion on the merits of this auction.

I can't tell you what they spoke about, but I do know Moun10Bike was aware that this coin would be going up for auction.

What I can verify is that I was offered the chance to buy this coin before it was listed. To be honest, I told him that what I could afford, or even considered to be fair, was far less than he would get in an auction. I thanked him for the opportunity, and wished him luck. Then, I second-guessed myself 100 times before the auction went live.

Now that I see where it is at, I'm happy for him, and glad I didn't get him to sell it to me for a lower price.

That's my 2 cents.

Perhaps the owner of the listing could throw some funds mtn bikes way to help fund his next coin! Or donate some of the sales (after his coin making) to a good cause (I'm a good cause!).

My take is, it was his to do what he wants with it. Though I must admit selling kealia's would send me to Hawaii.... Hmmmm. Can you say divorce?!

Something smells fishy. "

I hope you have something other than Fatboy joined in October 2004 to back up that statement.  I could understand if he/she joined recently but over a year ago?

Don't particularly feel the need to back anything up. I merely posted my observation and what I thought about it.

Though on second observation I must modify my original post a bit.

How about if I back you up? :lol:

This is very odd for the first day of bidding. People who bid to win will establish the initial price first, then wait to snipe the auction in the last few minutes, so it's very unusual for price escalation to happen so quickly.

The current bidder has had the account for more than a year, with 0 feedbacks, and it's odd he (or she) has never bid on anything before, even during the current Geocoin Craze. (FYI: location for the bidder is MI, United States)

For people who love to "compare prices," $450-$600 seems to be a fair reflection of demand for the Moun10Bike Version 1 so far.

Edited by budd-rdc
This is very odd for the first day of bidding.

I'm no eBay guru (as my limited activity on there will tell you), but I also find it odd that the price escalated so rapidly. Quite honestly, I expected my bid to stick for the rest of the week, with the slight (?) possibility of someone swooping in and vulturing me at the last second. I honestly thought that I would be able to get the coin back for a fraction of what I actually bid, though (although I was prepared to pay the full amount of what I bid). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is very odd for the first day of bidding.

I'm no eBay guru (as my limited activity on there will tell you), but I also find it odd that the price escalated so rapidly. Quite honestly, I expected my bid to stick for the rest of the week, with the slight (?) possibility of someone swooping in and vulturing me at the last second. I honestly thought that I would be able to get the coin back for a fraction of what I actually bid, though (although I was prepared to pay the full amount of what I bid). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It's not that odd. The original charity auctions flew up into high bids rather quickly. Of course they were not for this coin version and this auction isn't a true charity auction either.

As the seasoned snipers out there can tell you, it's not really wise to put in a high proxy bid immediately. Many other bidders count on that and simply drive the price up. With that said though, I still think this coin would have been sitting in the $600 range by now regardless.

What just happened? It looks like it's back to $610 with Moun10Bike as high bidder?

If you look at the bid retractions, it appears that the bidder asked to have his bids cancelled.

fatboy586 (0)

Cancelled: US $1,059.00

Explanation: bidder asked to have bids cancelled

That's odd though because as a bidder you can cancel your own bids. You certainly do not need the seller to do it for you.

Of course everyone now knows what Jon's proxy amount was. It's possible fatboy was bidding simply to find that out.

OK - I had hoped this wouldn't happen but it seems some zealot with zero feedback pounded the auction with a ton of bids and then emailed me saying he doesn't want it he then asked me to cancel his bids so I did -

This is for a cause, a memorial one, so please only bid if you are serious.

OK - I had hoped this wouldn't happen but it seems some zealot with zero feedback pounded the auction with a ton of bids and then emailed me saying he doesn't want it he then asked me to cancel his bids so I did -

I hope you blocked him as a bidder for the duration of the auction.

Yes - he was blocked immediately.

His words, after bidding like crazy:

DO NOT TELL ANYONE. I do not want the Moun10Bike ver.1 so tell someone else to bid on it. I don't want it.

Normally, I don't post this kind of info, but behavior like this is just dumb.

Edited by Beefcider

By having the seller cancel his bids, fatboy escaped a negative feedback rating.

See, if the seller would have said "retract your own bids," then the seller could have posted unfavorable feedback for fatboy once this auction was over.

At least the guy is blocked as a bidder.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Yes - he was blocked immediately.

His words, after bidding like crazy:

DO NOT TELL ANYONE. I do not want the Moun10Bike ver.1 so tell someone else to bid on it. I don't want it.

Normally, I don't post this kind of info, but behavior like this is just dumb.

Why not just end your auction early and just sell the coin to Moun10Bike. You have enough money to mint your coins now.

Edited by 2Dolphins