Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

(9Key @ Nov 6 2005, 04:08 PM)

Not to ruffle any feathers, but...

There's some mis-information on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8718588173

There were 500 Texas autumn coins made, *not* 300. Buyer beware

Also, there's still a bunch of the 2005 Texas coins available so there's no need to buy them on ebay. { http://tinyurl.com/cbzbl

Save yourself some $ and buy directly from us:

http://www.texasgeocaching.com/coins/buy/Buy.asp 

Just Fyi, I corrected my listing - Last Info I had was that there was only 300 when I pre-ordered, hense why I put it up that way. eBay won't let me change the title since there are bids, but I did email all the bidders on it telling them that I would be happy to cancel their bids if the info made a difference. (No takers.)

Finally, for those asking - I have nothing to hide. Personally, I recommend going thru the selling website and buying what is available for less money when possible. Thing is that not all the groups out there making coins are willing to ship worldwide, and as much as we don't want to admit it, GC.com isn't the only website for people playing the game.

As a result, if people are wanting to go to eBay (instead of doing their homework and/or finding the coins that are out there) to buy the extras I have available (and thusly can re-feed and fund my coin addiction) Well.. who am I to complain!

Happy Caching!

~Rose

Edited by phoenix-rose

WOW! :D

I have been busy with my "Screw" mess lately, and haven't kept up with anything else going on. I logged on to ebay today, since I am stuck with some extra coins I was going to try and unload. There are over 150 coins listed right now! :D

Does anyone have any info on this one here?

I like it, but would like to find another way to get one.

(Another one of my hypocrasies showing here...willing to sell on ebay, unwilling to purchase from ebay.)

Dunno if this has been posted, but ebay and geocoins seems like separating a fool from their money. Case in point...

I just bought 3 greenman coins from geocachetreasure.com. They are individually numbered, not trackable, but come with a 'certificate of authenticity'. They are beautiful coins.

There are 3 ebay auctions going on currently for these coins. All have multiple bidders, and the coins are going for $8.50, $13.00 and $37.00 each. They are still available new from the manufacturer for $8.00 each. What is wrong with people? This makes me want to go into reselling these things. Making $30 profit per coin is not bad...

-S.

Here's a question I've not seen asked yet - why are the MiGO coins in such demand? There's quite a few coin limited coins out there that don't go for as much as the MiGOs do. Why?

I agree.. The Kentucky Silvers (geocKY) geocoins are the same print run and were only offered at events also. There are several others also!

good question.

I'll take a stab at the answer(s) to that question...

1. Because the MIGO folks have gotten the coin collecters so convinced that these coins are valued higher than they really are. Though the coin collectors have to absorb most of this responsibility themselves also since they support that concept by paying so much and trading so much to get each of these coins.

2. Also, I gather MIGO has a strong member caching base. Most people would purchase a coin of a group they're affiliated with whether they collect coins or not. So taking that into consideration, there may be fewer available for trade than with some of the other coins that are also minted at 100 total coins. I think a few of the recent individual MIGO seasonal coin auctions are just those very MIGO members who bought the coin because of their group affiliation, see the spending frenzy to get the coin and decide the money is way better than keeping the coin they originally bought. If more casual coin collectors do this, the prices paid for the coin on auction will take a sharp drop.

Here's a question I've not seen asked yet - why are the MiGO coins in such demand? There's quite a few coin limited coins out there that don't go for as much as the MiGOs do. Why?

I've always pondered the same thing. Perhaps because they were the first with the "seasonal" idea. But it's still the same artwork on one side each time.

It's clearly more rare than a limited edition coin that's simply minted in a different metal or something, but it's no more rare than a Swags coin, or the TC Winter Convergeance.

I guess we'll see how those coins compare...

Well! It doesn't look like I will ever be able to afford one of these.

ebay ;)

Wow! 3 different bidders at or above $190 with almost 36 hours remaining...

My "eBay Alarm" is ringing loudly for this one. A bidder with 0 feedback and a seller with 0 feedback. :o I'm sure they are legit, but I can't shut my alarm off :P

I've asked this question to myself quietly when people were attempting to put monetary value on Geocoins. I stick to history, aesthetics, and "personal" reasons, and ignore trends, hearsay, rumors, and eBay for valuating stuff.

(I don't know too many people who go to local flea markets to get an "official price quote" :o )

I did buy a standard MIGO Geocoin when it was available directly from their website, for personal and aesthetic reasons (I've visited Michigan before, and I like the Geocoin's simple and elegant design).

Personally I am bitter, bitter, bitter.... I want a pumpkin coin and they are now too expensive -- boo hoo.....

Okay.... I AM bitter, but not THAT bitter.

With all the new coins and all the crazy prices, I have simply stopped being a "completest". I'll get whatever coins I can when I can and that's that.

If I ever bid more than $20 for a coin -- someone please stop me!

WOW! :P

I have been busy with my "Screw" mess lately, and haven't kept up with anything else going on. I logged on to ebay today, since I am stuck with some extra coins I was going to try and unload. There are over 150 coins listed right now!  :D

Does anyone have any info on this one here?

I like it, but would like to find another way to get one.

(Another one of my hypocrasies showing here...willing to sell on ebay, unwilling to purchase from ebay.)

:o;) Yikes This is just plain CRAZY!!! Why in the world would anyone buy one of our Milestone coins here on Ebay when they can buy it from The Caching Place and have it personalized as well? I just don't get it....maybe we should list some on Ebay with a BIN - for $8 ......That would soon spoil his FUN!! :P

Boy you sure have to keep up on stuff huh? Glad ya'll pointe this out!!

Edited by Cach-U-Nuts
Why in the world would anyone buy one of our Milestone coins here on Ebay when they can buy it from The Caching Place and have it personalized as well?
I don't get it either. :o There's a New Mexico selling for more than $30 for some reason. I have a stack of coins left that I'll sell for the usual $7.
Why in the world would anyone buy one of our Milestone coins here on Ebay when they can buy it from The Caching Place and have it personalized as well?
I don't get it either. :o There's a New Mexico selling for more than $30 for some reason. I have a stack of coins left that I'll sell for the usual $7.

Put them on ebay for $7.50 with a buy it now. If you put your coins on no one will bid on the one that is going for $30. Stop the madness!

Edited by 2Dolphins

For the same reason people will buy something on eBay for $20 that they can buy at Target or Amazon for $12, they just don't know any better. They often haven't done their homework but there are other reasons as well.

I don't have a problem with someone selling my dads coin on ebay. But with the first Silver one going for $56 and the Bronze for $51 I really have to wonder.

Maybe I should sell one myself before shipping out the orders to others. :o

Why shouldn't I make the profit? I know i can't stop it.

Team Sand Dollar (Donning Protective gear now...flame on)

Well, I've decided to sell some of my duplicate coins and a few geobones of eBay! (like 4 or 5 of them). In total, I suspect I will be placing about 15-20 coins in the mix.

HOWEVER, before I do that -- does anyone have some MIGO seasonals to trade? I want the set and will trade for these rather than sell my traders and use the cash to bid on the eBay ones.

If someone has some MIGO SEASONAL coins to trade -- this is the pre-auction chance to do so!

(I would rather trade, but no one is willing to trade any of the older or rarer coins that I would like -- I can buy most of the new material myself, so I need stuff that was created prior to the last 6 months and/or was limited). -- there are several coins I would like and am thinking that anything I am looking for will likely require me to buy it on eBay -- I would rather sell 2-3 coins I paid $6 each for in order to get a coin selling for $100 on eBay then I would be to pay the $100 directly.)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog
I don't have a problem with someone selling my dads coin on ebay. But with the first Silver one going for $56 and the Bronze for $51 I really have to wonder.

Maybe I should sell one myself before shipping out the orders to others.  :P

Why shouldn't  I make the profit?  I know i can't stop it.

Team Sand Dollar (Donning Protective gear now...flame on)

And in principle, there's nothing wrong with that intent, since you are responsible for your Geocoin's existence. :o

The community will of course accuse you of gouging the market by using eBay's supply shortage mechanism, and you'll have to deal with that. At least you'll be held accountable for your actions, unlike the people who are merely speculating off someone else's design and work.

Edited by budd-rdc
Well, I've decided to sell some of my duplicate coins and a few geobones of eBay! (like 4 or 5 of them). 

How much would you sell a Geobone for now? I would like one. I know I have nothing you would want to trade for. I just started collecting.

I placed one on eBay with the starting bid at $5. I also placed 4 up there with a buy it now at $25 -- which seems high, but it is in relation to what I am expecting to pay for the other coins that I plan to bid on (basically, if I buy a MIGO pumpkin at $100 -- then it means I *traded* 4 geobones for it..... blech!

Well, I've decided to sell some of my duplicate coins and a few geobones of eBay! (like 4 or 5 of them). 

How much would you sell a Geobone for now? I would like one. I know I have nothing you would want to trade for. I just started collecting.

I placed one on eBay with the starting bid at $5. I also placed 4 up there with a buy it now at $25 -- which seems high, but it is in relation to what I am expecting to pay for the other coins that I plan to bid on (basically, if I buy a MIGO pumpkin at $100 -- then it means I *traded* 4 geobones for it..... blech!

Email sent to you.

Speaking of the MiGO seasonal coins, I'd like you all to have some history regarding them.

In late 2003, we decided to have our members compete to design a seasonal patch, with the winner being awarded patches for free, while the rest of us paid for them. This was to take place four times a year. We liked the patches so much that we then decided that the following year the winning patch design would be used on a seasonal coin. And so our seasonal coin was born.

Keep in mind that these decisions were made well before this coin frenzy took place. So as not to have a lot of coins sitting in our store, we decided to make only 100 coins. The first coin didn't sell quickly, and actually sat around in the store for quite a while before finally being sold out, so the next coin also had a run of 100.

We actually never considered that anyone outside of Michigan, or outside of MiGO members, for that matter, would be interested in our coins, since they go hand-in-hand with our patches. Little did we know how popular they would become, and would be very hard, if not impossible, to get.

We didn't mint a limited run of 100 coins to keep the value up; we did it so as to not spend money on something that could possibly hang around the store and also deplete our funds.

Who knew our four little seasonal coins would be in such demand? We sure didn't. We're as shocked :D as most of you are about the high prices they're commanding on eBay.

I just thought you'd all like to have a little history on how MiGO's seasonal coins came to be.

My regards, and also "Hello" to all of you whom we've had the pleasure of trading coins with.

Donna/Chev

First Lady of Michigan Geocaching Organization

(I'm married to the Pres! :D )

Okay! Before I start bidding -- does anyone have any MIGO Seasonal coins or older coins (FISGAR, Moun10Bike v1, etc, etc) that they are interested in selling for CASH! Please PM me if you do.

I have gotten a "war chest" by selling some of my duplicates and am now wanting to get some coins I do not have.

Of course, I am always willing to trade straight across for my personal coin (while they last -- almost out). :o

Ok everyone, get your popcorn ready and get ready to watch the auctions!

Unless something changes this persons mind, there is going to be an original Moun10Bike, yes, I'm talking about the Version 1 coin, on eBay within the next day or two.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it should be interesting for sure!

And for people obsessed with comparing monetary values of Geocoins on eBay...

Don't forget to subtract the tax-deductible amount from the final price if it's for charity, to make the comparisons fair.  :D

:rolleyes:

I've bid $700 on a charity coin. If I've bid on non-charity (can't recall if I have) coin it was very near its original price.

There is no comparison :(

Oh yeah - I lost the auction on the $700 bid :lol:

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Personally I am bitter, bitter, bitter.... I want a pumpkin coin and they are now too expensive -- boo hoo.....

Okay.... I AM bitter, but not THAT bitter.

With all the new coins and all the crazy prices, I have simply stopped being a "completest".  I'll get whatever coins I can when I can and that's that.

If I ever bid more than $20 for a coin -- someone please stop me!

There are other extremely limited edition pumpkin coins but they don't go for nearly what a MIGO pumpkin coin goes for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8353462779

Unless something changes this persons mind, there is going to be an original Moun10Bike, yes, I'm talking about the Version 1 coin, on eBay within the next day or two.

We should have a pool to see what it goes for! Each guess costs you a coin and you have to guess within 24-hours of the auctions starting. At the end, the person closest to the actual value gets all the coins from those that guessed wrong! :(

Anyone interested? :ph34r:

There are 200 geocoins listed on Ebay right now (simple search: geocoin).  199 of those don't support a charity at all.  That ratio will change.  Hopefully this week....  ;)

Sooner than I expected!!!

Rare - Antique Gold pdxmarathonman geocoin is up for auction. All proceeds benefit Northwest Medical Teams International

Can Gold "antique"? Must be pretty old........ :(

Good luck with your charity! :ph34r:

Edited by PassingWind
There are 200 geocoins listed on Ebay right now (simple search: geocoin).  199 of those don't support a charity at all.  That ratio will change.  Hopefully this week....  :(

Rare - Antique Gold pdxmarathonman geocoin is up for auction. All proceeds benefit Northwest Medical Teams International

Wow, you appear to have found a coin Moun10Bike doesn't have.... :ph34r:

There are 200 geocoins listed on Ebay right now (simple search: geocoin).  199 of those don't support a charity at all.  That ratio will change.  Hopefully this week....  :(

Wow, you appear to have found a coin Moun10Bike doesn't have.... :ph34r:

That was quite a pleasant honor to have the very first bid by a guy who hasn't made a purchase on ebay in over a year and a half. And then the 2nd bid by someone who got my JL coin ;)

You've already helped bump the auction into MM09 territory :(

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Indeed.

I have put my Moun10bike Version 1 coin up to fund the making of some memorial coins for my brother who was killed at sea in October of 2000 while flying his F/A-18C Hornet. The Auction goes live at 4:00 PST Nov. 15th. All proceeds will go to the making of the coins and they'll be placed everywhere from Kansas to Utah and Arizona.

I had originally contacted Jon about this and he said it was my choice so I'm going to go ahead. It's hard to part with a part of geocoin history, and I do have mixed feelings about it, but the idea of selling one coin to produce others of a memorial nature make it worth it to me.

I have put my Moun10bike Version 1 coin up to fund the making of some memorial coins for my brother who was killed at sea in October of 2000 while flying his F/A-18C Hornet. The Auction goes live at 4:00 PST Nov. 15th. All proceeds will go to the making of the coins and they'll be placed everywhere from Kansas to Utah and Arizona.

I had originally contacted Jon about this and he said it was my choice so I'm going to go ahead. It's hard to part with a part of geocoin history, and I do have mixed feelings about it, but the idea of selling one coin to produce others of a memorial nature make it worth it to me.

I think I would also have mixed feelings also but it is for a good cause.

I think you will make 800 easy.