Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

I think my geocoin is special. I think your geocoin is special too.

However, once I trade a geocoin away (or place it in a cache - heaven forbide! :cool: ) I really think I have to let it go. It may show-up on eBay, it may be sold as part of a private transaction at an event, it may be futher traded.......hey, in 10 years it may end up in a yard sale!

Obviously, if I see someone that constantly tries to acquire coins at a low cost/trade and sell them for profit I would not wish to trade with that person -- I don't see this as being the case most of the time with personal coins though.

I've always said I would never sell any of my geocoins -- I don't even like the fact that they are sold and that there is a "post-production" value on these things. Naively, I have always held the belief that they are personal mementos and cache items! The market has proven me wrong and I'm okay with that (except I really do like the design of the MIGO pumpkin coin and would have liked one of those). This is the same reason that I have stopped buying most new issues. There are too many, they are losing their "unique" appeal. So I'll let the market saturate and have fun trading for some coins down the road next summer.

My thought is that the cachers selling coins on eBay are doing so under duress or as a way to make some money. I won't support them by bidding more than I think the coin is worth (in rare cases $20), but I also will not feel my coin was "stolen" or "abused" by being listed.

As for the Groundspeak logo -- that is up to Groundspeak and the terms of their license agreement to decide. I suspect that without the words "not for sale" on the coin, there is little that can be done.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Wow, step away for a day and things happen.

My opinion? Based on what we know here (and really it's none of our business), I think we should be focused on the fact that somebody is in trouble and not focused on these little trinkets that are part of a game.

Most of you know that I'm into coins as much as anybody, but it's a fun little hobby as a tangent to caching - that's it.

I understand the personal attachment to the coins that you've produced as they represent who you are, etc. - but in the end, do we really want to lynch somebody for selling these?

Granted, you may decide to not trade with somebody in the future because of this practice, but I think that's about as far as the 'reprecussions' should go - yeah?

Like he/she said - life happens and familiy comes first. I'll support that 100%.

If I was in a real pinch and had to do it, I'd throw my Mou10Bike coins on eBay.

(No, I don't plan to - sorry! :cool: )

Oh yeah, for those that might see it:

Hula Bum and I decided to list a Canine Cachers coin on eBay. We bought a handful for ourselves (of course) to drop in caches, but decided to put one up for those who are either new, missed the order, or don't have anything to trade for one.

Wanted to give as many people as possbile the chance to get it.

(....lest we be accused of 'hiding' by some)

It is nobody's business what people do with items they own. If someone needs to sacrifice a few shiny coins to feed or clothe or take care of the health of their family and they make a little profit in doing so, great! This is America, more power to them. Isn't that why we have our men and women over in Iraq, to preserve the freedom to live as we want here in this great country of ours? Certainly we can understand that! It's the ones who jump to buy and collect every coin as they are produced, even before they are produced, who create the demand, and it's the ones who have them to sell who provide the supply. There is no reason to judge anyone for it. Telling someone they can't buy your coin because they sold some other coins is just kind of ridiculous and a bit overboard, don't you think? It's a coin, a small shiny disc of metal with pretty pictures on both sides.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

This is America, more power to them.  Isn't that why we have our men and women over in Iraq, to preserve the freedom to live as we want here in this great country of ours?

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

While I support the selling of coins on eBay at this point, I believe what you posted is contradictory.

What we fight for is to defend the constitution of the United States which says:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Selling coins on eBay is a right as well as the free expression of the opposition to it.

It is the free expression of ideas that made this country and made it great. To discuss ideas about geocoins is within the boundaries of the forums. Just remember, I am talking about 'ideas', not 'people'.

MIGO fall pumpkin and MIGO winter coins are both over $100 on Ebay.Am I missing something here about Geocoins.I think I'll stick to caching,the hunt,the challenge,the great outdoors,to me thats what its all about.Dont need a coin or a special icon,apparently just the bank account of Bill Gates... (LOL) :lol:

MIGO fall pumpkin and MIGO winter coins are both over $100 on Ebay.Am I missing something here about Geocoins.I think I'll stick to caching,the hunt,the challenge,the great outdoors,to me thats what its all about.Dont need a coin or a special icon,apparently just the bank account of Bill Gates... (LOL) :drama:

10 - 4

:lol:

Wow, did y'all catch what some of those coin auctions closed at price wise? Both Camp Explorer coins in the $60 range each. I am just amazed. And several of the same bidders won multiple auctions and shelled out some serious bucks for coins. Our semi-famous meteor guy even bought a few. And my little ole coin closed at $27 and change. :lol:

This is America, more power to them. Isn't that why we have our men and women over in Iraq, to preserve the freedom to live as we want here in this great country of ours?

Actually The Army's main role over here now is to get the Iarqi government to take care of themselves so we can get back home and preserve freedom else where. The Army is training the IA to do their own fighting against the AIF. We (the Army) are trying to preserve the freedom of the Iraqi people...

Just imagine how many cache finds some of you would have if you put the time and energy into geocaching like you do geocoins :lol: ! I remember when I was a Drill Sergaent at Fort Knox, the strongest Soldiers I had was the ones whos parents would not allow them to have a X box or to be on PC all the time, the out of shape Soldiers were the ones on PCs surfing the net and playing playstation on sunny Summer afternoons.

the ones whos parents would not allow them to have a X box or to be on PC all the time, the out of shape Soldiers were the ones on PCs surfing the net and playing playstation on sunny Summer afternoons.

That must be some questionaire that you have to fill out to join nowadays :drama:

I thought there was a don't ask; don't tell policy in force :lol:

:rolleyes:;) WAY COOL FOR HIM THEY SOLD FOR 621.99!!!!! IM STILL MAD I NEVER BOUGHT THESE COINS CAUSE IF I DID THEY WOULD BE UP THERE AS WELL. AND TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE MAD LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER SOLD ANYTHING FOR PROFIT. WHO CARES WHAT HE DOES WITH HIS COINS THEY BELONG TO HIM NOT YOU.

Ouch my ears no need for shouting ;) although congrats on his sale though hope the money helps him.

Wonder if they are donating the proceeds to Katrina victims?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Katrina-Geocoin_W...1QQcmdZViewItem

Probably not. The seller states they're cleaning out the duplicate coins in their possession.

That's me. Nope, I'm not donating the money from the sale of the coin. I don't feel that every single thing that has the name Katrina or Rita or (insert your favorite catastrophe name here) has to be donated to the cause.

The dollar fifty they'd get from the sale of this coin (deduct the original cost, ebay listing fee, ebay commission fee, PayPal fee, shipping fee, etc.) wouldn't do as much as the several hundred dollars the Red Cross and ASPCA both got from me just days after the hurricane.

Wonder if they are donating the proceeds to Katrina victims?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Katrina-Geocoin_W...1QQcmdZViewItem

Probably not. The seller states they're cleaning out the duplicate coins in their possession.

That's me. Nope, I'm not donating the money from the sale of the coin. I don't feel that every single thing that has the name Katrina or Rita or (insert your favorite catastrophe name here) has to be donated to the cause.

The dollar fifty they'd get from the sale of this coin (deduct the original cost, ebay listing fee, ebay commission fee, PayPal fee, shipping fee, etc.) wouldn't do as much as the several hundred dollars the Red Cross and ASPCA both got from me just days after the hurricane.

The orignal sale already benefitted the victums. now it is just another geocoin that everyone wants to collect. I don't think the seller is trying to convince anyone that the proceeds of the auction will go to the victums.

wonder what it will go for?

I also was curious about this coin as I have never seen any mention of Hawaii having their own coin trackable or not. Did I miss something? Was it for local cachers only?

Lynn

It's not trackable as far as I know. And it appears to be someone who minted the coin himself to sell them all off for very high prices via ebay. I can only speculate because he still won't respond to email.

I also was curious about this coin as I have never seen any mention of Hawaii having their own coin trackable or not. Did I miss something? Was it for local cachers only?

Lynn

No, I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't made by local Hawaiin cachers. After checking the feedback on the account, and seeing all the North Dakota sales, along with several combinations of PaNoWeGe Kids coins, I assume this coin was made by Randy of Kirkland Explorers.

Wasnt the NM coin made by someone from Texas? Wasnt there an issue as to who would make the IL coin? What about the SF coin? Wasnt NY the same way?

Just wondering.

There has been a lot of contention in other threads about who has the right to make a state coin, or a coin representing an area. I never heard anything about NY being in that group tho.

However, my post wasn't addressing whether or not that was his right to make the coin. I personally don't care who makes a coin for whatever reason. They can make what they want...I just may not buy it. :anibad:

My only point was in answering the question posed about whether or not the coins had been released at a local event. I was just pointing out that they were being sold from the NW, and not from Hawaii. B)

I wasn't passing judgement either way, just sharing information. B)

Wow, the invesitgation that goes on around here you can't conceal your identity if you tried to. B)

Which I think is a good thing. B)

It'd be unfair to expect people to pay $$$$ to someone they don't know.

I'm just waiting for someone to mint a Geocoin that blatantly misrepresents a region, resulting in government attorneys harrassing him or her. :anibad:

I also was curious about this coin as I have never seen any mention of Hawaii having their own coin  trackable or not.  Did I miss something? Was it for local cachers only?

Lynn

It's not trackable as far as I know. And it appears to be someone who minted the coin himself to sell them all off for very high prices via ebay. I can only speculate because he still won't respond to email.

My email was replied to. Let's see, a few will be sold on ebay to cover costs and the rest will be traded with friends. Oh yeah, and an accusation about slamming the seller in these forums. Funny, but when I slam someone, it usually draws blood :anibad:

Not to ruffle any feathers, but...

There's some mis-information on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8718588173

There were 500 Texas autumn coins made, *not* 300. Buyer beware

Also, there's still a bunch of the 2005 Texas coins available so there's no need to buy them on ebay. { http://tinyurl.com/cbzbl } :ph34r:

Save yourself some $ and buy directly from us:

http://www.texasgeocaching.com/coins/buy/Buy.asp

Not to ruffle any feathers, but...

There's some mis-information on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8718588173

There were 500 Texas autumn coins made, *not* 300. Buyer beware

Also, there's still a bunch of the 2005 Texas coins available so there's no need to buy them on ebay. { http://tinyurl.com/cbzbl } :rolleyes:

Save yourself some $ and buy directly from us:

http://www.texasgeocaching.com/coins/buy/Buy.asp

Thanks alot..now I had to buy another coin, hee,hee...paypaled for 2 (my dad wants them now also)..are there other state coins out there that cachers can just buy? If I don't see a recent thread, I always assume they are sold out.