Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

ok people... I dont feel I need to explain myself. Im not out selling to SCALP. Sometimes a man has to sacurfice something and these pretty coins have to be the choosen ones. Now we all know each one of us has to pinch somewhere in life for money so I hope everyone can give me some slack. If anyone who wants to refund money for the coins ive allready purchased, that is their choice. I just made this decision over the past day and It took many days of thinking. So hopefully everyone understands and please dont call me a ebay profiter!! That kinda hurts.

and thanks to the ones who asked if we are ok. Its just a decision we had to make.

Smokey.

If anyone who wants to refund money for the coins ive allready purchased, that is their choice. I just made this decision over the past day and It took many days of thinking.

Money refunded. Only took me about a second to decide that.

Its just how I feel about the time and effort I put into the OIFGA coin. Its not intended to end up on ebay and as long as I can prevent that from happening I will.

The coin had been already asked for by another geocacher and I'm sure he is getting it for a lot cheaper than on ebay...

Edited by Cav Scout

Hmm, I didn't see my coin on ebay and I traded one to them. Hopefully it won't end up on ebay as well. One thing I have going for me is that it is trackable on gc.com . I have kept track on all tracking numbers and which ones went to whom. I called Bryan (coin guy at Groundspeak) and talked about this situation a few weeks ago. I can call him with that particular tracking code and have it deleted out of the system so that the tracking for the coin would be inactivated.

I would like to give smokey the benefit of the doubt here and try not to act too inappropriately or jump to conclusions, but hopefully he will read this and respect my wish to not have my coin put on ebay.

Thank you for the refund CAV Hunter. I am glad that the decision was made quickly for you and did not cause you a moment of grief. If you will notice, over 1/2 of the coins that I own are not on ebay, and will not end up on ebay. I am sorry that you feel that I was going to put all of my coins up for sale. I am sorry that you felt that we are scalpers. We had every honorable intention of keeping all of the coins when the deals/trades were made. LIFE HAPPENS. I am sorry that my husband and I have no choice than to sell the coins that he loves so much. This was not an easy decision to make. When it came down to it, it was the only thing that we had that could help. Believe me, if there was another way I would have made sure that this never occurred.

We also apologize for not thinking to add a Buy It Now feature.

At least we can own up to the fact it was us.

Thank you for all the supporting emails that we received. Don't ever be afraid to post because you are afraid that someone will refuse you the purchase of a coin. They are coins...not blood or body organs. Coins are nice but family ranks over everything.

With Love to All,

The Teacher :D

Edited by smokey & the teacher
Thank you for the refund CAV Hunter. I am glad that the decision was made quickly for you and did not cause you a moment of grief. If you will notice, over 1/2 of the coins that I own are not on ebay, and will not end up on ebay. I am sorry that you feel that I was going to put all of my coins up for sale. I am sorry that you felt that we are scalpers. We had every honorable intention of keeping all of the coins when the deals/trades were made. LIFE HAPPENS. I am sorry that my husband and I have no choice than to sell the coins that he loves so much. This was not an easy decision to make. When it came down to it, it was the only thing that we had that could help. Believe me, if there was another way I would have made sure that this never occurred.

Thank you for all the supporting emails that we received. Don't ever be afraid to post because you are afraid that someone will refuse you the purchase of a coin. They are coins...not blood or body organs. Coins are nice but family ranks over everything.

With Love to All,

Never thought anything bad about it..Hope things get worked out!!!

Yes..Family FIRST and ALWAYS!!

Yes things happens and money needs recouping sometimes.

Good for you to stand up for yourself...no hard feelings from me!!

I am sorry that you felt that we are scalpers. We had every honorable intention of keeping all of the coins when the deals/trades were made. LIFE HAPPENS. I am sorry that my husband and I have no choice than to sell the coins that he loves so much. This was not an easy decision to make. When it came down to it, it was the only thing that we had that could help. Believe me, if there was another way I would have made sure that this never occurred.

With Love to All,

Hope everything works out OK. I hope you can get through the tough times OK.

Everyone else try to put yourself in the same position. You need the money, you've got these nice shiney things that people for some odd reason will pay a lot of money for...

If it was the geocoins, or your house, which would you choose? (I know which I'd choose).

I think people just get a little annoyed when they feel that some people might be just trying to 'cash in' on the fad, for no reason other than the fact that they can.

So you sold them and nobody else should be able to?

Thats right friend, I made them, sold them, and did not make a profit on them so why should I allow anyone else to make a profit ...

The same reason I allowed you to discuss the IL coin.

Edit: Just to make this easy. I had no say, it was beyond my control, in spite of the fact that my opinion we that you should let the IL groups tackle it. That you decided to give them a shot was also your sole choice. One I'm glad you made but...not one that I had any reason to think I had the ability to "enforce my will" on.

Edited by Renegade Knight
The same reason I allowed you to discuss the IL coin.

Are you from Illinois :rolleyes: ? Your profile does not show that...

Let geocachers native to Illinois worry about the state geocoin.

Besides we are discussing a issue with the OIFGA coin not the Illinois coin.

Let it go.

Edited by Cav Scout

With Love to All,

The Teacher :rolleyes:

Here's an idea.... Why not create your own coin and take pre-order money for it and pay for the coin with that money and keep the leftover as profit. This way people don't get upset that you are selling their coin or you don't get upset that you have to sell part of your collection. Then everybody who wants a new coin would have one.

Now, before everyone starts jumping on me about the 'profit' line. Just know that it happens and it happens a lot.

If you will notice, over 1/2 of the coins that I own are not on ebay.

We had every honorable intention of keeping all of the coins when the deals/trades were made.

I am sorry that my husband and I have no choice than to sell the coins that he loves so much.

I don't want my geocoins to be a part of anything like this.

This is what will ruin geocoin trades in the future.

Now, before everyone starts jumping on me about the 'profit' line. Just know that it happens and it happens a lot.

Definitely. I see some of the coin prices of coins for sale and know what the coins cost to produce. Definitely some money being made. I still buy them anyway tho... gotta have em all, lol!

well heres a news flash for you all.. Since this has created a big stink. I WILL be selling all my coins on ebay at my will. They are MY coins and not YOUR coins.Its a buyer/seller world. Once you sell something it becomes the buyers property/ even if it was a trade. You got a coin from me... You dont have a say in what I do... So with that said. You all dont understand my situation and aparently dont care. What a geocache family.!

Im done with this childish behavior. all coins will be up on ebay at my choice in the next future.

By the way for the people who threaten to delete the coin number from the system. I also paid for that number.

smokey

well heres a news flash for you all.. Since this has created a big stink. I WILL be selling all my coins on ebay at my will. They are MY coins and not YOUR coins.Its a buyer/seller world. Once you sell something it becomes the buyers property/ even if it was a trade. You got a coin from me... You dont have a say in what I do... So with that said. You all dont understand my situation and aparently dont care. What a geocache family.!

Im done with this childish behavior. all coins will be up on ebay at my choice in the next future.

By the way for the people who threaten to delete the coin number from the system. I also paid for that number.

smokey

Would you be willing to sell the Kilted Cacher coin back to me? I would be willing to pay a fair amount for it. The same price it cost you to buy the coin you traded me.

I dont blame Smokey for doing what he's doing I'm sure that it is hurting him enough to have to sell HIS coins because of being in a bind. In some ways I would be flattered to see my coin selling for a premium, I think it speaks volumes about your reputation as a cacher. and it might be the only way some people to get a coin from a cacher. I would love to have Kilted cachers coin course I at least have a chance of finding one of his and I would love to have a Cav Scout coin but because I dont have a personal coin to trade I'm out. I am new to the sport and even newer to collecting coins, the ones I have I plan on keeping but if times got tough and it was between eating or my coins guess what goes.

just my opinion and I spent 24 yrs defending that right to express

smokey

Geez, I'm sorry some folks reactions caused you to feel this way.

I'd also be willing to pay cost for the coin you pre-traded me for my 2006. If not, that's ok too since a confirmed trade is a confirmed trade and I won't reneg on that for any reason. Just let me know.

Alright, before I started to post my verbal objections to the coins being sold on ebay, I had to step back and look at the whole situation objectively. I did some research and studing and came to a conclusion that will sit well with me. A question that I had to ask is:

Q: Is it ethically wrong to sell something received in a trade?

A: Ethically, no. Once you are given something, it's yours to do with as you wish. Of course, the other party may feel differently, but that's about their expectations, not your ethics.

In addition to the trade there were no 'conditions' given, such as 'If you don't want the coin anymore, please sell or trade it back'. The trade was a one-for-one trade, with no strings or conditions attached. The coin is yours to do with as you please. If you want to sell it on eBay, then I would have no problem with it. As a matter or fact I may bid on a few coins myself!

people? You mean me of course. You didn't pay for a tracking number, you traded for a coin that happens to have a 6-digit alpha-numeric code on it. The rules about selling a coin with a Groundspeak logo are not mine, but theirs:

From the Logo Usage page:

We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com.

So in retrospect, sell all of your coins on eBay, and generate the funds that you need for whatever reason (I don't know the reason or have a need to know).

Hopefully my coin will bring in a good price ;)

We had every honorable intention of keeping all of the coins when the deals/trades were made.

I am sorry that my husband and I have no choice than to sell the coins that he loves so much. 

Wow, that's harsh. Clearly smokey's family is in a hardship situation. A little understanding and compassion seems in order here. I for one am impressed that they have stepped forward, acknowledged they are the sellers and tried to explain the situation (albeit vaguely).

ok people... I dont feel I need to explain myself. Im not out selling to SCALP. Sometimes a man has to sacurfice something and these pretty coins have to be the choosen ones. Now we all know each one of us has to pinch somewhere in life for money so I hope everyone can give me some slack. If anyone who wants to refund money for the coins ive allready purchased, that is their choice. I just made this decision over the past day and It took many days of thinking. So hopefully everyone understands and please dont call me a ebay profiter!! That kinda hurts.

and thanks to the ones who asked if we are ok. Its just a decision we had to make.

Smokey.

If you have a geobone it is yours! Feel free to do whatever you want with it -- no explaination required or expected. It is yours.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce the shrink wrap geocoin agreement.

"By receiving this coin you are acknowledging that you are leasing the use of the coin and do not actually own it. This lease is transferable only upon death and is binding on whomever inherits the coin. You may not loan, sell, trade, give or otherwise transfer this coin in any way. It may only be a part of your collection, for all time."

Now I Have to go mail my first trades. Cool.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce the shrink wrap geocoin agreement.

"By receiving this coin you are acknowledging that you are leasing the use of the coin and do not actually own it. This lease is transferable only upon death and is binding on whomever inherits the coin. You may not loan, sell, trade, give or otherwise transfer this coin in any way. It may only be a part of your collection, for all time."

Now I Have to go mail my first trades. Cool.

;)

Smokey.

If you have a geobone it is yours! Feel free to do whatever you want with it -- no explaination required or expected. It is yours.

Absolutely!!

They have one of my Shop99er coins up for sale, and I'm not throwing a fit. It is their coin, aquired in a fair trade.

If they want to sell it, melt it, or whatever, it's up to them!

I hope my small part helps you-all a little bit.

Smokey.

Absolutely!!

They have one of my Shop99er coins up for sale, and I'm not throwing a fit. It is their coin, aquired in a fair trade.

If they want to sell it, melt it, or whatever, it's up to them!

I hope my small part helps you-all a little bit.

I also feel the same way about my coin. {hope it goes for big ;) }

I also respect what others feel also about their coins.

Edited by ladycacher

Wow, that's harsh. Clearly smokey's family is in a hardship situation. A little understanding and compassion seems in order here. I for one am impressed that they have stepped forward, acknowledged they are the sellers and tried to explain the situation (albeit vaguely).

What I see here is someone who has been exposed from their hide position. Would they of confessed to this had someone not mentioned their name?

I can't see selling geocoins as a answer to what ever problems they may have. Did the military base they work on close down?

But do what you want with your coin collection and good for you to sell it as you like, however my geocoins won't be part of it. Glad I was able to help you out by giving you your money back ;)

Edited by Cav Scout
What I see here is someone who has been exposed from their hide position. Would they of confessed to this had someone not mentioned their name?

I can't see selling geocoins as a answer to what ever problems they may have. Did the military base they work on close down?

But do what you want with your coin collection and good for you to sell it as you like, however my geocoins won't be part of it.

Hey Roy,

Go ahead and send my coin back to me. I can't sign a contract in blood that you coin will never end up on ebay. And, if you wan't to refund my OIFGA payment, you may do that as well.

Let me know if you need my address for the coin return.

Dave

I thought PC trackable geocoins were not suppose to be sold..especially by the owner of the coin??

There's a KSWader PC geocoin on Ebay.

KSWader-Ebay

that is a good question

say John get's permission for the GC tracking and logo on his coin. He of course agrees that he will not sell it.

Bob finds this coin as a FTF prize

Bob lists the coin on ebay

1. Is bob breaking any laws by selling the coin? Remember bob might not even know who john is and what aggreement john has with GC.com

2. Can Ebay get in trouble for listing this coin?

I thought PC trackable geocoins were not suppose to be sold..especially by the owner of the coin??

KSWader-Ebay

that is a good question

say John get's permission for the GC tracking and logo on his coin. He of course agrees that he will not sell it.

1. Is bob breaking any laws by selling the coin? Remember bob might not even know who john is and what aggreement john has with GC.com

However in your story...this is John selling his own coin.

KSWader-Ebay

that is a good question

However in your story...this is John selling his own coin.

I aggree, just did not think that we needed to spend time debating the obivious.

I am very interested to hear what people think about bob though

Bob is not under the obligation to uphold the contract between John and Groundspeak.

Thats my viewpoint.

I would have thought so, too, but this scenario can get complicated.

If John's name was anywhere on the coin, then Bob would know that it's a personal Geocoin made by John. Bob may not be aware of the agreement between John and Groundspeak, but by selling it on eBay, the spirit of the agreement was violated, so if Groundspeak so choose, they can ask eBay to remove the listing.

Bob's out the cost of seller's fees. He can then choose to trade the Geocoin, and everyone's happy again. :lol:

I'm not a lawyer, but that's my hypothesis.

Smokey.

Hey guys! Good to see you back on your feet and able to buy some more geocoins :lol: . I am looking forward to getting my Dragon geocoins too!

Do a search on eBay for Mickey Mouse and see how many thousands of items come up. It's like a yard sell, I have a few items around the house that I want to get rid of, so why not put it on eBay to sell. Now, if they were mass producing my coin and selling it that would be different, but I have no problem with them just selling the one that I traded them.