Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

If I sold any, it would be association or group produced coins, as I have a policy of only getting one of each personal coin for my collection, any extras don't tend to trade well (usually because if I can get a personal coin, almost anyone can get that same one), and the only reason I would sell my extras is if I can't trade them. I gotta figure some way to save up for my personal coin afterall (I've already ruled out pre-sales, so don't start offering to buy em)

I think that's a good policy. Only exception I'd make is if I ever decided to sell chunks of my collection entirely. I'm with you - usually I only get one personal at a time anyway - as long as I keep collecting, I'm keeping those. On the org/event coins, I actually think EBay phenomenon is interesting -- establishes a market value and additional means of collecting. Downside is that it could start affecting pricing.

I actually think EBay phenomenon is interesting -- establishes a market value and additional means of collecting.

The problem with eBay is that the price is more of a Max Value. That is what one person would pay. The true value is someplace between the high bid and the low bid. I did a break down of bids on the Georgia coin and the mean average of bids was $15. Only 9 people actually made the 14 bids... so half were above that and half below... throw out the top 2 high and low bids and you had a median of $17.50 or so... so I'd put the value of a Georgia coin in the $15 to $18 range according to that data. After a couple more Georgia coins are sold that value could rise or fall as more bids are incorperated. Maybe I should start tracking this... then I could come up with a price guide <_<

Sometimes I really wish I had majored in statistics...

I actually think EBay phenomenon is interesting -- establishes a market value and additional means of collecting.

The problem with eBay is that the price is more of a Max Value. That is what one person would pay. The true value is someplace between the high bid and the low bid. I did a break down of bids on the Georgia coin and the mean average of bids was $15. Only 9 people actually made the 14 bids... so half were above that and half below... throw out the top 2 high and low bids and you had a median of $17.50 or so... so I'd put the value of a Georgia coin in the $15 to $18 range according to that data. After a couple more Georgia coins are sold that value could rise or fall as more bids are incorperated. Maybe I should start tracking this... then I could come up with a price guide :unsure:

Sometimes I really wish I had majored in statistics...

You have to much time on your hands <_<:o

Edited by ladycacher

From an eBay auction: Auction

I am not selling these to be rich, just to get my money back for what I spent.  Alot of people look down on selling these coins on auction, but they are just sitting when they would be a great start for a newbie.  Shipping will be 4.00, thanks!

If this were the case then why not have a 'Buy it now' feature for the money that he spent. It's obvious to me that this guy has seen an opportunity to make some money with his extra coins. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with him selling the coins and making some money, just spare me the "I just want my money back" BS.

;)  :o  :huh:

$64 dollars (current) so far for a 2005 California geocoin which sold originally for less than $4? :P

And can still be ordered for about $4? :P

Blazerfan gets the prize for actually reading the auction page. :o

There are 5 coins for sale. The picture (that the rest of us keyed on) is just of the CA '05 coin. Ooops.

Even so, as ladycacher was saying - 6 coins (3 unique) a month ago were going for under 10 bucks. Now, 5 unique coins for over $60

Edited by pdxmarathonman
There is a lot of Geocins on ebay now, but look at these old auction. I can't believe what these sold for compared to now.

Here is a current auction

Current

What a difference a couple of months make!!!!

:laughing::lol::lol:

Good grief! Those early auction people lost their shirt, didn't they? I read these, and I have to admit I'm more and more tempted to cough up a few of my hard-to-find spares to finance my geocoin habit!

Yipes!

I guess I'll just have to trade my $86 coin for your $86 coin.... :lol:

What is amazing to me is that in order for this to happen - there has to be buyers! People are actually paying this money to get these coins -- crazy.

I revise my earlier prediction that an origianl Moun10Bike would go for $300 to $400 -- I am now thinking it would top $1000.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

Um...... the bid history on a couple of the auctions seems ..... "odd". I don't want to get anyone's buns in a knot, but I always get a little uncomfortable when I look at the bid history of an auction and see the winning bidder with little in the way of a feedback score, or an account that has been active for awhile but not used, or.....

I took a look at some of the auctions that had coins sell for a high price -- look at the bid history -- this is sort of strange:

XYZ (199) -- $51.01

ABC (1) -- $50.00

ABC (1) -- $45.00

ABC (1) -- $40.00

ABC (1) -- $35.00

ABC (1) -- $30.00

XYZ (199) -- $26.00

(this is not actual data, but a representation of the type of thing I find strange)

It's almost as if some old eBay accounts, that have bought only one item or no items in the past, have decided to start geocoin collection all of a sudden... wow!

Well ... whatever. More power to the inflation of geocoin prices! I will still trade 1:1 on most items just because they all seem to be rising in price -- so my coin will be as valuable as the one I am trading for -- according to eBay.

Hmmm..... more and more interesting.

Buyer beware it seems.

For those that won auctions and had the Seller pull out, or for those that noticed they are bidding against an old account with little feedback -- you may wish to review eBay's Help Topic "Shill Bidding"

I am NOT saying this is happening. I'm just saying that an informed Buyer is a happy Buyer.

Look at the shipping for this coin!!!

Coin on Ebay

I can not believe that they are charging over 20.00 for shipping to my area code!  It costs me less than .60 to ship a coin.

Only $30. to get to me.

:lol:

On Sep-07-05 at 15:14:44 PDT, seller added the following information:

Please note: Due to my incompetence, the calculated shipping charges option is incorrect. The actual shipping charges are $1.50 to the Continental U.S. Sorry for the mixup.

Hmmm..... more and more interesting.

Buyer beware it seems.

OK, OK, I fess up!! Sheesh!

While the buyer should always beware, this time it was just a case of...

SELLER, GET A CLUE!

I wasn't going to sell any of my coins, they were for trading only. When I saw the ridiculous amount people were paying online, I started getting the feeling that some of those buyers might not be cachers at all, but people trying to CASH in on our hobby!

I succomed to the temptation and listed one of my coins just for kicks. I had hoped to fly under the radar, but I messed up on the shipping. It was supposed to show a flat-rate of $1.50. I posted a note showing that now.

Kind of ironic isn't it. I fall to temptation, and look at the coin I made! :lol:

C4

That's legit -- and please do not take offense. I am more worried about the number of "new" (yet long-time) eBay accounts that have started bidding!

One account was last active in 2000! -- all of a sudden, they are back in eBay and bidding on coins.

Another account has a feedback of 1 and last bought something over a year ago -- now they are geocoin crazy.

Not saying that isn't what is happening for real, but I'm paranoid and suspicios -- I even have this thing I use to always track my location and secret storehouses of items to trade ... part of a worldwide game..... :lol:

No offense taken!

I haven't been all that active in ebay in the past year or so, but I have taken a bit more notice of late! The only problem is, so many of the coins are so overpriced.

There is a demand for sure. The percentage of collectors that has their own coins minted is pretty small when you compare it to the number of names that are on the pages collecting. If you don't have your own coin, until recently, there were only some club coins, and the state coins you could purchase. (Besides the USA and Canada coins.)

Until I forked out the money for my own, my ability to trade for coins that I liked was very limited. Now, I have a trade in process for a Geobash Coin. It was a 1-4-1 trade. (1 for 1) I am perfectly content with that. When I look at what the last one sold for on ebay, and the $5-$10 cost for my personal coins, I feel like I got a great deal! In reality, it was a fair trade.

I guess all I am saying is that for many collectors, ebay is one of the only options to get some of these coins.

C4

Umm... :lol: I'm probably the "new" Ebay bidder with an inactive account since 2000 (Guamo?). I never was much attracted to the service and didn't use my original account. I am active in collecting coins (until my wife tells me my money's run out). There are only a couple I'd buy through Ebay at all, and I definitely have limits to how crazy I'd get for any of them. No shilling here. :o

Umm... :lol: I'm probably the "new" Ebay bidder with an inactive account since 2000 (Guamo?). I never was much attracted to the service and didn't use my original account. I am active in collecting coins (until my wife tells me my money's run out). There are only a couple I'd buy through Ebay at all, and I definitely have limits to how crazy I'd get for any of them. No shilling here. :o

Nope ... wasn't you. Of the auctions I reviewed there were three other accounts --however it is the buyers responsibility to review Sellers history and auctions.

I still think things may stabilize -- maybe not. It certainly means that collecting EVERY new coin in all varieties is off the plate of most collectors. It is also pretty much the death of coins in caches -- who's going to place a coin into a cache when it has gone from $5-$50 in 2 months?

Not that any of that is a bad thing -- it's just hard to watch folks pay such a premium. Hopefully the for-profit motive doesn't have too much of an impact on the hobby. With 20+ new coins every month (including my own), we'll all have to become more selective in our collecting -- except for those with deep pockets.

Umm... :o  I'm probably the "new" Ebay bidder with an inactive account since 2000 (Guamo?).  I never was much attracted to the service and didn't use my original account.  I am active in collecting coins (until my wife tells me my money's run out).  There are only a couple I'd buy through Ebay at all, and I definitely have limits to how crazy I'd get for any of them.  No shilling here.  :lol:

Nope ... wasn't you. Of the auctions I reviewed there were three other accounts --however it is the buyers responsibility to review Sellers history and auctions.

I still think things may stabilize -- maybe not. It certainly means that collecting EVERY new coin in all varieties is off the plate of most collectors. It is also pretty much the death of coins in caches -- who's going to place a coin into a cache when it has gone from $5-$50 in 2 months?

Not that any of that is a bad thing -- it's just hard to watch folks pay such a premium. Hopefully the for-profit motive doesn't have too much of an impact on the hobby. With 20+ new coins every month (including my own), we'll all have to become more selective in our collecting -- except for those with deep pockets.

I just noticed that one of the auctions that you are talking about is one that I bid on! It's like they entered 100.00 or something because I could not get the bid. Another thing is that people get caught up in bidding just to do it, or make somebody else pay more because that person is bidding against them. This happens in ALOT of auctions. I collect Disney Pins from the park, and there was this one that I wanted SO bad! I bid on it until it hit 50.00, then I emailed the ONLY person bidding against me and he said he was just bidding to bid!!

Anyhow, lots of things happen on ebay and some is not good, but I love it being there so I can find things that you just can't get from the everyday garage sale.

Hope all that made since...I am watching Inked at the same time I am typing! ;)

I agree - I have paid huge money for items on eBay (and also made good money) -- however, there are some *specific* things to look for in auctions -- sometimes they do not indicate wrong doing, sometimes the do. Some of the geocoin auctions exhibit this behavior.

Again -- just beware as a buyer and pay what you feel happy paying. eBay is pretty good with help files and auction tips.

Wow, based on these prices I should sell my collection and buy a new house.

Uh-oh!Just realized that I have most of the coins listed there and discussed here and many of the locals know where I live! :lol:

Guess I better keep the Shepherds awake :o .

I really don't know where I stand on this. I think the 1:1 trades are still the best (harder to find coins for harder to find coins) - but I guess at some point everything changes.

Just like trading baseball cards as a kid. A rookie card was worth more than others so many trades were multiples for one. What to do, what to do......

I like the auction for the ACTIVATED geocoins. :D:ph34r:

I sent a note asking if they are all activated by the owner or if they should be travelling.

I was just thinking about that. The unactivated ones will command a premium and it's a question buyers should be asking.

If you have activated one, sent it traveling but retain ownership and it comes up on eBay it would be an interesting test case if someone actually wanted to spend the money to enforce the law, or help figure out the law when it comes to travel bugs. While the police may not help in such a low priority thing, the law is the law and it is there for the use of the public should they chose to invoke it.

SELLER, GET A CLUE!

I wasn't going to sell any of my coins, they were for trading only. When I saw the ridiculous amount people were paying online, I started getting the feeling that some of those buyers might not be cachers at all, but people trying to CASH  in on our hobby!

Success and popularity always attract speculators. :D

As I've said on other threads, I dislike the trend. Some of the observations brought up on this thread are standard eBay concerns: sockpuppet accounts, shill bidders, frivolous bidding, excessive shipping costs, etc, all against the written eBay guidelines. They don't spend too much effort enforcing them since it's supposed to be a free marketplace, but they claim to nail a few big time frauds for publicity's sake once in a while. :ph34r:

Once the hype dies down, though, eBay is a good marketplace as long as demand and cynicism balance each other out.

Yipes!

I guess I'll just have to trade my $86 coin for your $86 coin....  :D

What is amazing to me is that in order for this to happen - there has to be buyers!  People are actually paying this money to get these coins -- crazy.

I revise my earlier prediction that an origianl Moun10Bike would go for $300 to $400 -- I am now thinking it would top $1000.

Only Moun10Bike Coin with a chance of breaking the $1k barrier is #002, due to its history. I agree on the $300-$400 range since I have heard people say at events that they are willing to pay that much to get one.

Let's hope we never find out. :ph34r:

SELLER, GET A CLUE!

I wasn't going to sell any of my coins, they were for trading only. When I saw the ridiculous amount people were paying online, I started getting the feeling that some of those buyers might not be cachers at all, but people trying to CASH in on our hobby!

I succomed to the temptation and listed one of my coins just for kicks. I had hoped to fly under the radar, but I messed up on the shipping. It was supposed to show a flat-rate of $1.50. I posted a note showing that now.

Kind of ironic isn't it. I fall to temptation, and look at the coin I made! :mad:

C4

LOL -- I knew that was yours the second I saw it. I may have to try the same with one of mine just to see what happens! :D

And speaking of that... :ph34r:

here it comes!

I wanted to jump in with my two cents, or should I say my 20 bucks cause its e-bay. I'm new at the coin thing and trying to start a collection, I'm not the one paying 86 dollers but under 20 on most. I know you guys trade 1-1 but when you have 0 its hard to trade. I watch the forums for new upcoming coins but there is a few older ones I would like.

Did you notice that last week e-bay had average of twenty coins and now its up to 70 coins, this will in turn drive the price back down. Also the one guy how paid 95 for one coin also paid 86 for another.