Look Whats On Ebay....

Ladycacher

I remember many months ago when some coins were for sale on ebay lots of people were up in arms about it. I wonder why it's suddenly seen as acceptable to do it? I think it's great, if you've got them to sell go for it. Hope ya make a couple hundred. :lol:

I remember many months ago when some coins were for sale on ebay lots of people were up in arms about it. I wonder why it's suddenly seen as acceptable to do it? I think it's great, if you've got them to sell go for it. Hope ya make a couple hundred. :lol:

So Geocaching is about $numbers$ after all. :lol:

For the record, I dislike the trend. Since I'm not in the position to stop it, I'm just going to watch the entropy of greed take over. :lol:

I think my biggest curiousity is whther it is cachers actually buying these coins or someone else who thinks they are somewhat more rare? I mean come on, Georgia for $48? I wouldn't exactly consider it rare or anything. Surely cachers aren't spending the $10-20 on USA 2005 Geocoins there.

I dont' think many people have problems with coins being sold, as long as they were purchased and not taken out of caches. Considering I've bought all the ones I have, I believe I own them legally, and should be able to sell them.

Then again I'm lazy, and might not take the time to put them up on auction.

I think a lot of people were fooling themselves if they didn't think people would try to make a profit from geoccoins... and it starts with this website... its the american way (and for those of you not in the US its probably your way too... admit it)

As for a Georgia coin we know that 500 exist... at one point I owned 3 or 4 of them. Of those 500 I'd say most of those who bought them had more than 1 and most were bought by georgia geocachers. The next question is how many serious geocoin collectors are there? Over 500? that would instantly create a supply and demand problem. 500 serious collectors is only a 10 per state average, but I think that number is pretty high. So in this case it might seem like a Georgia isn't rare, but if you don't have one, or something to trade for one then eBay is your only choice.

I don't know what the current availability is of the Georgia coin on the secondary coin market, but I do know that I have not been able to trade for one so far, so there may not be too many out there available. I did try to bid on the auction, but I did not bid high enough..... the thing with eBay is that it only take two people who really want something to drive a price way up... once one of them have been satisfied, the next one can easily go for alot less.... and as more and more hit the market the price will be driven down to the true market value... I have seen this happen in other collectrable markets in the past

I studied the bid histories of both the Georgia and Washington Geocoins on the link. Seems a good measure of the demand at the time. (no obvious signs of shill bidding)

The trend I've noticed is that 2nd or 3rd sellers tend to get the higher price, since the first listing attracts fence sitters who may not bid on the 1st one, or in case of f0t0mom, underbid. The psychology of "can't miss the next one" is quite strong. :lol:

The aesthetics of these coins certainly help ratchet up the demand.

I studied the bid histories of both the Georgia and Washington Geocoins on the link. Seems a good measure of the demand at the time. (no obvious signs of shill bidding)

The trend I've noticed is that 2nd or 3rd sellers tend to get the higher price, since the first listing attracts fence sitters who may not bid on the 1st one, or in case of f0t0mom, underbid. The psychology of "can't miss the next one" is quite strong. :lol:

The aesthetics of these coins certainly help ratchet up the demand.

So if I am going to sell one of my coins I better plan on selling 2 or 3 of them, hmmm...

I think my biggest curiousity is whther it is cachers actually buying these coins or someone else who thinks they are somewhat more rare? I mean come on, Georgia for $48? I wouldn't exactly consider it rare or anything. Surely cachers aren't spending the $10-20 on USA 2005 Geocoins there.

Yes, but it's a special Georgia Geocoin made by Willy Wonka that when placed under the tongue, tastes like peaches.

I don't know what the current availability is of the Georgia coin on the secondary coin market, but I do know that I have not been able to trade for one so far, so there may not be too many out there available.

Apparently, they're at an all-time premium.

I checked with Yvgeny, my contact in Vladivostok, and he reports that Georgia coins are being actively traded in the Russian Black Market for weapons-grade plutonium. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the current availability is of the Georgia coin on the secondary coin market, but I do know that I have not been able to trade for one so far, so there may not be too many out there available.

Apparently, they're at an all-time premium.

I checked with Yvgeny, my contact in Vladivostok, and he reports that Georgia coins are being actively traded in the Russian Black Market for weapons-grade plutonium. :unsure:

:rolleyes: ROFL

I remember many months ago when some coins were for sale on ebay lots of people were up in arms about it. I wonder why it's suddenly seen as acceptable to do it? I think it's great, if you've got them to sell go for it. Hope ya make a couple hundred. :D

Are you talking about the BlazerFan coin? The outrage about that coin was not the fact that is was being autioned on ebay. It was the way it made to the ebay auction.

I think I'd be more worried that this will get folks interested in finding caches in order to sell cached items on ebay.

Muggles might wind up turning into people casing poissible cache points to see if a cacher will lead them to a place they can grab something they can ebay.

I think it's sorta a bit sad in that respect.

As one of the 5 Cachers that produced the GA Geocoin I found it hard to believe that one of the coins sold for that much! We sold them for $5 which included s&h.

True we only made a run of 300 that we sold mostly in GA at GGA meetings. Then we ran 200 more and sold them via a posting to these forums. Those 200 sold out in about 4 hours. So the total was 500. We haven't made a decision on how many to mint this year. My guess is that we will try to meet some of the demand but still keep a lid on the amount. We know that most all coins are collected and very few erver make it into a cache as a trade item. Again this is a decision that is made together by the 5 of us. We made no profit and donated money to our state geocaching association the GGA.

We will be minting the 2006 coin soon. It is our intention to have the design ready soon, and have the coin shipped in late Dec or early Jan. The coin will have a rendering of some iconic area of GA. We started with the North GA mountain and contniue with areas of the state. We plan to have 5 coins in the series one per year over 5 years.

Ga Cacher

tom.gacacher@gmail.com

I can understand people buying the geocoins on ebay. I was new once, and had no coins or nothing to trade. If I would have thought of it I would have turned to ebay. I only found one person on the forums that would sell me a few to get started. It is also VERY hard to trade for hard to find coins. Look at Moun10Bike Ver1, if one come up on ebay I would bid on it.

I am not saying that the auctions are right or wrong. I do fear that they may get out of hand, or somebody may take advantage of it. But there is nothing that can be done to stop it.

Edited by ladycacher

ive been checking ebay on and off recently and several people are selling geocoins on there now... just search for geocoins.

i also saw that Moun10bike wooden nickel on there, but its over $20 already!! sheesh..

Edited by KF6JAX
I gotta get me some more of those M10B Wooden Nickels......Wow!

I wonder how much a M10B Lapel Pin would go for?

This is getting CRAZY!

I'll sell ya a Go JayBee's signature Mini-Tabasco for a dollar......

I am glad I knew you when they were free :o

To think that I got 1 of each version of M10B's nickels in our coin trade.... $22 for each nickel and $??? for the coins :D

I like this one... not for a Geocoin, but another highly "prized" caching item.

Hmmm no bids yet though... I guess the people who really want one are still taking the "cheap" route and stealing one instead.

White Jeep Auction

Heh... that's pretty funny. I recently won one of those Jeeps like he's selling at a M&G as a door prize. Gave it to my daughter. Now, every time I come home with a white jeep TB, she goes nuts. "HEY, that's MINE!" :lol: I have to sneak it out the door every time.

Posted on Aug 23 2005, 07:40 AM

Well I have added to the controversy. I just had to see what this would bring. 

Since I haven't been able to trade for one yet, I am watching this!

I am wondering what that will bring also. If the Georgia sold for around 45.00, then OH what that could bring!

Posted on Aug 23 2005, 07:40 AM

Well I have added to the controversy. I just had to see what this would bring. 

Since I haven't been able to trade for one yet, I am watching this!

I am wondering what that will bring also. If the Georgia sold for around 45.00, then OH what that could bring!

I just can't imagine a geocoin selling for that price... I've probably jinxed the whole auction talking about it.

I remember when I bought my first geocoin... I got in on the second order of Oregon coins. After that I ordered a USA, greenman, Joy of Caching, Texas and Canada. That gave me a pretty complete set of non personal coins at the time. I was the 10th geocacher to make a personal coin... I made them in large part so I could trade for the other 9 (10 actually because Moun10Bike had 2... of those 10 I still don't have 4 of them)

Who would have known it would become something so big

Just wondering what all the fuss is about.

Ya make coins, people buy them.

If they keep 'em, cool. If they sell 'em, it just assigns a "market value" to them.

I can't wait until my SilverMarc coin ends up on eBay so I'll know how much it's REALLY worth!

[grin]

--Marc

August 23, 2005 @ 3:38 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Just wondering what all the fuss is about.

Ya make coins, people buy them.

If they keep 'em, cool. If they sell 'em, it just assigns a "market value" to them.

I can't wait until my SilverMarc coin ends up on eBay so I'll know how much it's REALLY worth!

[grin]

--Marc

August 23, 2005 @ 3:38 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I got my SilverMarc coin yesterday and it is definatley a nice looking coin. Great detail.

I don't mind selling coins... not when I bought them legit, but there are a lot of people in these forums who frown on the practice just for those who might take and sell active travelers. I actually didn't mind that one of my coins was sold on eBay... besides the fact that it wasn't one of my original 100... the idea that there are potentially "others" out there is that part that bugged me. Oh and I am disapointed that more common Washington and Georgia coins have sold for more!

I haven't had any inquiries about my collection for $2500... at eBay prices that is quite a bargain.

I'm selling the #1 silver Dallas / Fort Worth geocoin on eBay to help finance my personal coin. It will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

If a Georgia coin sells for $40 this coin should go for twice that I would think. But ya never know.

If I sold any, it would be association or group produced coins, as I have a policy of only getting one of each personal coin for my collection, any extras don't tend to trade well (usually because if I can get a personal coin, almost anyone can get that same one), and the only reason I would sell my extras is if I can't trade them. I gotta figure some way to save up for my personal coin afterall (I've already ruled out pre-sales, so don't start offering to buy em)