Where Is Everybody?

I would like to encourage clubs in each state to highlight The Center of Population monument in their state by using the monument coordinates as a cache location. Because of the openess required by the NOS, most of the locations will not be suitable for a cache container, but all locations should allow an offset cache container with a log. This is an interesting program that is going on across our country, and finding these monuments can be both fun and educational.

I would like to suggest that we call these the "Where Is Everybody?" series and I have initiated the series with "Where Is Everybody In Tennessee?" (GCPV2K).

The Center of Population Project

In a project co-sponsored by NOAA's National Ocean Service (NOS), the Census Bureau, and the American Congress on Surveying and Mapping (ACSM), many states are in the process of officially monumenting their Year 2000 Center of Population by setting commemorative markers. Most recently, Missouri, New Jersey and Washington have set and performed GPS observations of their 2000 Census Center of Population monuments. A number of states have now set such markers. In a cooperative effort, the Census Bureau provides the location of the state population centers, and NOS provides the guidelines for placement of the marker. ACSM coordinates the monument setting and observation performed by state professional surveyors. This is an excellent example of what collaboration between the private sector and Federal, state and local governement surveying and mapping professionals can achieve. It is expected that all state Center of Population sites will be included in NOAA's National Spatial Reference System, which will allow surveyors and others to utilize the markers.

For additional information about The Center of Population Project, and "Where is Everybody?" for other states go to: www.ngs.noaa.gov/INFO/COP/

Happy trails,

Firestone

To the Leprechauns: Looks like yours is off of US Hwy 22, near Newport, PA. Do you kow where that is?

That's northwest of Harrisburg. Route 22 is a great road for getting to geocaches across our great state that are off the beaten path. I know it well. But I live clear on the western edge of the state so I can't hide a cache there.

I don't think they are on private property.

Here are the site selection and mark setting requirements established by ACSM.

The site selection should conform to the following criteria as much as possible:

1. As close to the computed coordinate as possible

2. A "GPS-able" site (e.g., clear of obstructions 15° above the horizon)

3. Located on a publicly accessible site (e.g., town park, road right of way, etc.)

Maybe so, but I doubt if they visited each location. This one in GA is @ 0.25 miles from the road in what looks like a residential area next to a lake. It will be interesting to see how the others play out.

They do if they mount commemorative markers there. Just for clarification, is the idea to find the marker or the spot? I think the marker would be much cooler (and yes, this would be an excellent concept for the new locationless cache solution)

Just for clarification, is the idea to find the marker or the spot? I think the marker would be much cooler (and yes, this would be an excellent concept for the new locationless cache solution)

The idea is to find the marker. These are commemorative monuments that are unique to each location. The greater idea is for us, as responsible cachers local to the monuments, to turn them into cache locations, called "Where Is Everybody?" to raise awareness of this program so that the geocaching community in general, and the public as well, can enjoy finding them as both a fun and educational activity.

These caches are all good and are serving the purpose to highlight the existance of these monuments. Center Of Mass, what a great name for the cache!

Maybe Groundspeak, or whoever, could give the monuments a cache designation (like they did for the Earthcache), so that cacher profiles would identify how many states one has found.

Population Cache, or COP Cache

Edited by Firestone

I copied this off the Maryland site:

The National Geodetic Survey, in cooperation with the Maryland Society of Surveyors and the Howard County Department of Public Works, coordinated the monumentation of the site of Maryland's center of population. The actual site is on private property, so a nearby location in Savage Mill Park was selected. A commemorative geodetic control disk was set, and a plaque describing the mark was embedded in a large rock nearby. Working together, GPS observations will be utilized to determine within 2 centimeters the actual center of the disk

I used the link from Firestone's original post and clicked on the black dot in Maryland and there was a map and write up about the ceremony with pictures of the marker. In Maryland the ceremony took place 9 Oct 2001.

What a cool idea.

Edited to add: I just clicked around on several other states and most of them only have the map and a drawing of what the marker looks like. California was the only other state that had a press release and gave the date of the ceremony and details where the marker is. The map is color coded to show the level of info in each state. Sadly, many states are green meaning no interest.

Edited by Team Red Oak
Just for clarification, is the idea to find the marker or the spot? I think the marker would be much cooler (and yes, this would be an excellent concept for the new locationless cache solution)

The idea is to find the marker. These are commemorative monuments that are unique to each location. The greater idea is for us, as responsible cachers local to the monuments, to turn them into cache locations, called "Where Is Everybody?" to raise awareness of this program so that the geocaching community in general, and the public as well, can enjoy finding them as both a fun and educational activity.

Now that helps a lot. My thinking is that we were seeking a virtual point in space rather than a specific marker. I agree that this is pretty cool and it would be neat to see a cache there. It also does sound like a must for the new locationless cache solution, as Jeremy pointed out. I am pretty sure you could have a regular cache and a target for the new locationless cache solution in the same spot, but Jeremy would have to confirm that since he is the man in the know.

Thanks for the clarification and the heads up. :blink:

Hawaii's center of population is in the channel between Oahu and Molokai.

My opinion would be that finding the markers would be better since some of the actual centers are on private property, bombing ranges, ocean, etc.

Each state has a POC listed for information Center of population monument.

In Washington State, ours is in the middle of two large watersheds which are off limits to the public (as well as difficult to get to). Where would they put the marker in this case and is there a list of the markers actual locations instead of the actual center's location?

Interesting. The map on this page seems to indicate that the monument is set but there are no more details than that. At the top it even says:

Most recently, Missouri, New Jersey and Washington have set and performed GPS observations of their 2000 Census Center of Population monuments.

Some are supposedly offset right? It would be interesting to root out where it actually is. It is interesting that New Jersey is the only one indicated as "GPS" on the legend at the bottom of the map.

I am pretty sure you could have a regular cache and a target for the new locationless cache solution in the same spot, but Jeremy would have to confirm that since he is the man in the know.

Yes. Locationless caches never have been and never will be something that will need to worry about proximity issues with caches.

I'm a semi-liberal Democrat, and even to me, the notion of calculating and marking the center of population in each state seems a waste of tax dollars. I mean, what is the point?

As for setting up locationless caches at these sites--sure--why not--might be the only public benefit to come out of this boondoggle.

In Washington State, ours is in the middle of two large watersheds which are off limits to the public (as well as difficult to get to). Where would they put the marker in this case and is there a list of the markers actual locations instead of the actual center's location?

In the case of Washington State, the center of population is an "off limits" area like Eraseek has mentioned. The Marker is located in Kanasket/Palmer State Park a few miles south of where it really should be.

The WSGA held a summer campout there last year so a number of us got to visit it.

OK folks, here we go. "Where Is Everybody In Tennessee?" (GCPV2K) has just gone on line and is ready to be enjoyed.

Where Is Everybody In Tennessee? (GCPV2K)

Luckily, the Tennessee Center Of Population monument is in a very nice municipal park and is also convenient to an interstate highway exit, so travelers can stop by and check it out. It is always an interesting situation when the cache itself controls its own location.

I was also surprised to find how well received was the idea of featuring this monument by the local politico and the Board of Parks and Recreation. It was as if they just realized that they were the proud parents of something they knew very little about. This cache will prove very beneficial to geocaching, in general, in this area.

Who is next? Where is everybody?

Where Is Everybody In Your State?

I used the link from Firestone's original post and clicked on the black dot in Maryland and there was a map and write up about the ceremony with pictures of the marker. In Maryland the ceremony took place 9 Oct 2001.

Thanks to Team Red Oak for the note about Maryland. Now, let's get a cache at that location to feature that monument.

Looking at the 2 caches in Buttonwillow California it appears that neither of them are at the center.

Interestingly enough the picture of the mark shows two coordinate intersections.

One is the marker and the other is the actual center.

If anyone else has any information on this it would be nice to share.

This marker was placed in Oct. 2004.

Thanks to Poppa Duck, Jake - Team A.I., and the hermit crabs for making me aware ot three other COP Caches:

New York - Epicenter, GCA189 10/27/2002

Arizona - Arizona's Center Of Population, GCHRX4 2/27/2004

Massachusetts - Center Of Mass. GCNAT6 4/2/2005

Tennessee - Where Is Everybody In Tennessee?, GCPV2K 7/22/2005

New York takes honors, so far, for first hidden. Props to Bob393.

Come on now, Where Is Everybody?

Thanks Ambrosia, but I think the monument referred to in your post is the geographial center of Washington. The Center of Population monument is west of this location and south of I-90. I believe it is in Kanaskat-Palmer State Park and as far as I can find out, has no cache associated with it. Putting a cache there, featuring the Center of Population monument, would be a good mission should you accept it.

Thanks Ambrosia, but I think the monument referred to in your post is the geographial center of Washington. The Center of Population monument is west of this location and south of I-90. I believe it is in Kanaskat-Palmer State Park and as far as I can find out, has no cache associated with it. Putting a cache there, featuring the Center of Population monument, would be a good mission should you accept it.

Oh, goodness. Population, geographical. Whoops. :rolleyes:

I received the word on the new "Waymarking" activities that may become available. I think the set of state Center of Population Monuments would be an appropriate sub-set of the places category. I would like to solicit support for a new Waymarking category under "Places" for the Center of Population Monuments that are being established nationwide. For more information see the "Where Is Everybody?" topic in the forum, or "Where Is Everybody In Tennessee? (GCPV2K).