Konfabulator

Bull Moose

Right now, of course, using it violates the site's TOS. Of course, so does using Firefox, so it's hard to know whether that is actually a serious problem.

(Actually, it is technically possible to view the site legally with Firefox, but you have to know what you are doing).

I'll download it and check it out. Looks interesting.

Ya mean this program?

This brings us to the third observation. The Konfabulator acquisition rather spoils the recent run of buying best-of-breed. With just its default set of widgets, Konfabulator sucks out 200MB of memory - memory that users and developers might prefer to be allocated to something else. With these kind of system requirements, it may well deter the very people Yahoo! is trying to attract.

(Yahoo! shunned the venerable DesktopX which allows standalone executables to be created, and standalones don't use any more resources than say, a VB application. Perhaps Yahoo!'s M&A team simply took Konfabulator developer Arlo Rose's claims at face value. Rose likes to think he invented this product category.)

Then there's widget ennui itself. The novelty of playing with clock applets, weather widgets, stock tickers and dancing hula girls soon wears off.

Well, Mopar, I knew it might be a bad sign when Yahoo bought it. :blink:

But I think it could have some value other than hula girls if the right widgets existed.

This has not changed at all since Yahoo bought it. Getting your news from The Register is about the same as reading the Slashdot forums, if you're into that kind of thing. It might be fun, but it's rarely true.

Getting your news from The Register is about the same as reading the Slashdot forums, if you're into that kind of thing. It might be fun, but it's rarely true.

That's funny. I first found out about geocaching through The Register.

Who knew geocaching didn't exist? :blink:

You may not like The Register's snarky attitude, but they're usually ahead of the news curve, and on the mark.

Edited by Prime Suspect
Well, Mopar, I knew it might be a bad sign when Yahoo bought it.  :blink:

But I think it could have some value other than hula girls if the right widgets existed.

This has not changed at all since Yahoo bought it. Getting your news from The Register is about the same as reading the Slashdot forums, if you're into that kind of thing. It might be fun, but it's rarely true.

Heh. Well if you ran all the demo widgets you could get to 200mb very quickly. However many of the widgets are not very useful, like battery power and wifi strength. I already get those in icon form. I did dig the scheduling widget though.

A geocaching widget would be interesting but it seems like something only a FTF nut would want. In that case the Insta-Notify feature would do the trick.

Well, Mopar, I knew it might be a bad sign when Yahoo bought it.  :blink:

My point (joke) was more about Yahoo's judgement.