When Ban Hits The Fan…

sept1c_tank

When a member’s account is permanently banned from GC.com, what happens to caches owned by that account? Does the owner still receive email notification of cache activity?

I’m assuming the owner has no access to his account and he cannot disable, archive or post maintenance. Are the caches automatically archived? Can cachers still log the caches?

What happens when a cache is missing or damaged? If a member’s account is banned, who is responsible for the caches? :laughing::)

When a member’s account is permanently banned from GC.com, what happens to caches owned by that account? Does the owner still receive email notification of cache activity?

I’m assuming the owner has no access to his account and he cannot disable, archive or post maintenance. Are the caches automatically archived? Can cachers still log the caches?

What happens when a cache is missing or damaged? If a member’s account is banned, who is responsible for the caches? :lol::laughing:

Uhhhh.....we voted. You lost and are now responsible for all of them. :)

Didn't you get the memo?:lol:

Well, the caches are the property of the cache owner. He can either go collect them, post them to another site, or find someone to adopt them. Assuming that he does find someone to adopt them, either he or that person can email the local approver to make it official on the site.

Yes

No. The listings aren't archived automatically. geocachers can still log them.

What happens when a cache is missing or damaged?  If a member’s account is banned, who is responsible for the caches?  :laughing:  :)

We're a listing service. The cache owner owns the cache. The banned member can email the contact address to let us know when the listing should be archived.

So the banned member is responsible for the cache and this site will continue to list it and other cachers can seek it indefinitely. If the cache owner chooses to keep and maintain the cache, he can, but he cannot add maintenance notes to the log.

Is it ethical for another cacher to adopt a cache from a banned member so maintenance updates can be added to a cache log, even if the original owner of the cache still intends to keep and maintain it? :):laughing:

Is it ethical for another cacher to adopt a cache from a banned member so maintenance updates can be added to a cache log, even if the original owner of the cache still intends to keep and maintain it? :):laughing:

It is always ethical for someone to help repair or maintain another person's cache, IMO, but that isn't a Groundspeak policy nor something that is programmed into the web site because the cache isn't owned by Groundspeak.

Is it ethical for another cacher to adopt a cache from a banned member so maintenance updates can be added to a cache log, even if the original owner of the cache still intends to keep and maintain it?  :laughing:  :)

It is always ethical for someone to help repair or maintain another person's cache, IMO, but that isn't a Groundspeak policy nor something that is programmed into the web site because the cache isn't owned by Groundspeak.

If I read that correctly, the sites policy is that anyone can adopt the cache of another with the OK of the original cache owner. Once a cache is adopted, its owner is the cacher who adopted it (as far as GC.com is concerned). From there on out, its just like any other cache. If it needs maintenance and someone gives that maintenance, its all good.

Edited by sbell111
...Is it ethical for another cacher to adopt a cache from a banned member so maintenance updates can be added to a cache log, even if the original owner of the cache still intends to keep and maintain it? :lol::)

No.

Banned from here doesn't mean banned from somewhere else. The owner is still the owner. Being banned probably creates problems with the archive log. I'll let you know when I'm banned. :laughing:

If I read that correctly, the sites policy is that anyone can adopt the cache of another with the OK of the original cache owner. Once a cache is adopted, its owner is the cacher who adopted it (as far as GC.com is concerned). From there on out, its just like any other cache. If it needs maintenance and someone gives that maintenance, its all good.

Yes. That's right.

What would you have to do to get banned from GC?

In this case it had to do with a user previously banned from posting in the forums creating a fake account and pretending to be upset. After being found out and warned to stop posting under the fake account he did anyway. So their new account was banned and so was their original account and two other fake accounts. Before then we allowed him to continue using the services of the site as long as he didn't post here.

To top it all off this individual decided to act the innocent one while I had undeniable proof that he was the one being the fake account.

The fun part is that although he can deny it all he wants, I know that he knows the truth and there is a certain smugness in knowing this. If there was an iota of character left in his person it has since shot itself.

So as a favor to him, sept1c_tank came over to ask an innocent question about how his caches should be dealt with. He's probably too embarrased to email our contact address and ask himself. I can understand since he really must feel like a stupid IT guy now for blowing his cover so badly. Poor baby.

/smarmy

...So as a favor to him, sept1c_tank came over to ask an innocent question about how his caches should be dealt with.

Not exactly. Some of J5’s caches are somewhat special to me; we hid them together and we are listed as co-owners.

Yes, I would be doing him a favor by adopting these caches, but he would really be the owner/maintainer, as he always has been. These are very nice caches and I would hate to see them archived.

I’m not sure where I came over from, but if you’re implying I am a voice for J5, you’re wrong. This topic was my idea, completely independent of J5.

He's probably too embarrased to email our contact address and ask himself. I can understand since he really must feel like a stupid IT guy now for blowing his cover so badly. Poor baby.

/smarmy

I thought you were above taking a shot at a banned member. :laughing::)

I’m not sure where I came over from, but if you’re implying I am a voice for J5, you’re wrong. This topic was my idea, completely independent of J5.

Sorry. It was a subtle jibe to his incessent "toady" remarks. By his definition you would be considered his toady. I don't see it that way though.

I am fairly new to the boards and just stumbled onto the thread yesterday. (I followed a link from the UK thread while I was looking for UK coins!)

You mean stuff like that doesn't happen here all the time?!? :blink:

How boring. ;)

It was such fun. Jeremy promised me some light beratement and a spot of rudeness today...oh well, I guess I'll look for more coins. :D

from the banned member's forum

I've now been completely banned from geocaching.com (after being falsely accused of having a sock puppet account) and have a bunch of caches that are available to anyone who wants to take them over. If no one wants them within a reasonable period of time, I'll archive them. If you'd like to take over ownership of one or more of them, let me know either in this thread or by PM.

There are a total of 23 caches up for grabs.

The following are regular caches:

Fallen for You at Williams Park (this cache needs a new container) - in Langley near Hwy 1 and 232nd Street

Up and Over at Williams Park - in Langley near Hwy 1 and 232nd Street

Around and About at Williams Park - in Langley near Hwy 1 and 232nd Street

Blood Beach - in Belcarra Park near Jug Island Beach

Buntzen Blast - located at Bunzten Lake

Looking Down Lindeman - located near Chilliwack Lake

I have one multi-cache:

Irene Pearce Trail - in South Langley near 4th Avenue and 248th Street

I also have the following caches that require boat access (all are very low maintenance caches).

These are located at Indian Arm:

The Cliffs at Granite Falls

The Slippery Noodle

Those Noisy Jellyfish

Diamonds in the Rough

Oooh, I Can Thwayte

Long John's Hideaway

Kayakers Paradise

The following are water caches located at Pitt Lake:

A View to the Top of the Pitt

Pitt Stop

Tanks for the Memories

Lipstick Beach

Ben Gunn's Cache

Reelin' in the Gears

Victory at Osprey Creek

Get Yer Rocks Off

Between a Rock and a Soft Place

You will need to work out a transfer of ownership of the caches with the fine folks at geocaching.com

so if you want to adopt, the original owner has given his permission

As always, your friendly neighborhood Marmetion

10 PAGES???????? 10 PAGES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD????????

I am absolutely amazed that I came back in to read the forums on my monthly, er, well, maybe quarterly, browse through, and I find 10 PAGES of Mad Marty????? Holy cow....

You know what the worst thing is???? I SAT HERE AND READ EVERY SINGLE PAGE!!!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I must now go be "de-angsted". Where did I leave my beer and where is that dadburned llama with my newspaper????? Sheesh, you just can't get good help anymore.......

Mac

:blink:;):D:D;)

so if you want to adopt, the original owner has given his permission

As always, your friendly neighborhood Marmetion

If a non-banned member can be designated the new owner to pass on the new listings, I can have them transferred over. The user can then use the adoption page to pass them on.

Seriously,

As a fairly new member of this asylum I am impressed by the emotion and dedication of the other players.

This is the reason I put my a** on the line for many years in the military and this is why I still engage in weapons research.

I have to go now. That was embarrasing. :D

Actually, except for the caches co-placed by himself and sept1c_tank, J5 has now decided not to allow his caches to be adopted out and has decided instead to request that they be archived. I've logged SBA notes on those particular caches at his request. It's a real shame since they are some of the best caches around, especially his hydro-caches.

And before everyone starts going on about yet another overly dramatic geocide, I should mention that J5 lost interest in finding caches many months ago and has gone on to pursue other activities that he has a much greater interest in. He hasn't gone caching in months and has only kept his caches listed at the urging of myself and a few others. Now that he has been falsely accused of being MadMarty and received threatening emails from a few GC forum regulars he has decided that it isn't worth the hassle of keeping his caches alive.

Personally, and for a number of different reasons, I doubt the validity of the so-called "undeniable proof", but arguing that point on this site is a fruitless exercise that I don't plan on entering into other than to say the J5 was contacted by the real MadMarty who promised that he would contact Hydee to admit it was him. Either he hasn't done that yet or the TPTB on this site have chosen to overlook that bit of information as it would call into question the accuracy of their "undeniable proof".

Anyway, that's my one and only post on this site regarding this sordid little affair. Flame away! :D:D

Actually, except for the caches co-placed by himself and sept1c_tank, J5 has now decided not to allow his caches to be adopted out and has decided instead to request that they be archived. I've logged SBA notes on those particular caches at his request.

Done. Thanks.

I'm confused. How do two different cachers have the same URL address? If this guy is innocent, that would need explaining.

If you mean IP address then as I am typing several hundred other people are connected to the internet with the same IP address as I am using. A couple of them are even geocachers. This is fairly common way companies connect to the internet.

Edited by AllenLacy
I'm confused. How do two different cachers have the same URL address? If this guy is innocent, that would need explaining.

If you mean IP address then as I am typing several hundred other people are connected to the internet with the same IP address as I am using. A couple of them are even geocachers. This is fairly common way companies connect to the internet.

Yeah, I mean IP address and I know a company will have many computers and one IP address. I believe the IP address was identified as that of a previous sock puppet and/or forum abuser(s) and that is why the account was terminated. I was thinking that, if they are both using a business computer, it could be two different people. Obviously, if this is the case, the guy was wrongly cut off----but, hey, I don't know the whole story and probably never will. Just curious.

:D Incredible!

After reading Gorak’s statement, and Jeremy’s, I looked at J5’s caches and noticed that the one’s we placed together were not archived, and not even listed. Then I looked at my own account.

I was just thinking about what a hassle it was going to be to go through all the paperwork and investigations to get these vacation caches approved to my account. :D

Lo and behold, they’re magically there (I didn’t make any PM or email requests, or anything)! I don’t care what MadMarty, or anyone else says about Jeremy or this website.

This rocks! Thanks, Jeremy. :D:D

If MadMarty wasn't J5, but just someone at the same company, and was sharing the same IP address then he should have quit posting when Jeremy warned him. Jeremy said that he was gonna ban all acoounts stemming from the IP address and the IP address itself. Of course MM didn't care if he hosed somebody else. Nice.

I have more tools than just an IP address to determine whether someone is who they say they are. Obviously I wouldn't disclose how I figure these things out, but I've been doing this long enough to know the chances of being right or not. Normally I am not as sure about who is doing what but in this case there was plenty of other evidence to justify the ban.

The sad thing is, regardless of protesting innocence, he and his "toadies" (his word) is already planning to come back as other sock puppets around Thanksgiving, at least. This gives you some insight into his lack of character and general trustworthiness. We'll see how Thanksgiving goes but I expect some bannination goodness.

Since we are talking about a specific cacher, and therefore, specific caches, be it known that I agreed yesterday to adopt 1 of 6 land-based caches. (Which has happened - Hydee made the changes...)

Today (prior to seeing this thread, FWIW), I asked to take the other 5 land-based caches over as well.

Edited by canadazuuk