Automatic Archiving Of Events

NickPick

How about automatically archiving events, say, a month after they've happenned?

I know that usually the owner archives it, but as we all know, sometimes the owner forgets, their cache search page ignores their own caches, so it remains listed.

We could post an SBA note, but in my experience, this can upset some cache owners - (Who do you think you are? Saying my cache should be archived!")

So, perhaps TPTB should consider auto-archiving an event?

Unless the OPer was totally oblivious to what happened in the GC forums yesterday...

:laughing:

BTW: I like Llamas

I think the OPer knows about yesterday, hence the topic subtitle: since it was a sensible suggestion

Maybe another geocide in the making? :)

How about automatically archiving events, say, a month after they've happenned?

I know that usually the owner archives it, but as we all know, sometimes the owner forgets, their cache search page ignores their own caches, so it remains listed.

We could post an SBA note, but in my experience, this can upset some cache owners - (Who do you think you are? Saying my cache should be archived!")

Staying on topic, I don't think its needed.

Its easy to post an SBA, or if you would prefer email a url/IDnumber to a reviwer and asking them to archive it. Its not totally perfect, and sometime's slow but it works.

Automation is nice, but until if/or/when its added you'll still have to do it the manuel way (and if you do then making these changes is mostly just extra un-needed work for the site webmaster(s)?).

It is a cultural thing? Maybe something about the British make them worry that they might upset somebody by posting a SBA log. Seems if I had forgotten to archive my event I would be happy to see a note to remind me. If I had a good reason to not archive I would leave a note for the reviewer why.

I think the problem is with SBA logs on traditional caches where the cache just needs maintenance and not archiving or where someone may think you are the cache police (e.g. This cache is on Indian Reservation and the last person who look was stopped and asked if he had a permit to be on the reservation so it must have been placed without permission). I can't see any issues with using SBA on an event cache.

It's quite easy for the volunteer cache reviewer to stay on top of "stale" event cache listings. Every few months, I do a search of all event caches in my review territory, and I either archive or ask about any events that took place more than six weeks prior to the current date. I cite to the listing guidelines, which state that events are to be archived four weeks after the event date.

I feel it's important for a pair of trained eyes to look at each cache on its merits before it is archived. That way, I can spot text saying that the event will be held again at a different coffee shop two months later, thus sparing it from the archives.

This exercise consumes no more than 20 minutes per year (four searches times five minutes per search) and produces accurate results. Since it had been a few months, after being reminded this week of the issue I have gone through all the event cache listings and left a note on one and archived a second one. That's not bad for a review territory that had more than 100 events in the past year.

It is a cultural thing? Maybe something about the British make them worry that they might upset somebody by posting a SBA log. Seems if I had forgotten to archive my event I would be happy to see a note to remind me. If I had a good reason to not archive I would leave a note for the reviewer why.

I think the problem is with SBA logs on traditional caches where the cache just needs maintenance and not archiving or where someone may think you are the cache police (e.g. This cache is on Indian Reservation and the last person who look was stopped and asked if he had a permit to be on the reservation so it must have been placed without permission). I can't see any issues with using SBA on an event cache.

I don't see what the problem people have with SBA potentially hurting the hider's feelings on any cache. Any person can just as easily write a note which doesn't meet the owners high standards (some people get really upset here when a finder posts TNLNSL).

As long as you THINK about it before you post an SBA, that should be enough:

Is it too early to post an SBA (newish cache, just happened to be muggled vs. a cache with a history of muggling and maintenance is simply impossible)?

Is a note about maintenance more appropriate?

Does this cache really need to be archived or can it be maintained or adopted?

I don't think this has anything to do with becoming cache police or a busy body - you're simply posting useful information when it's relevant.

There don't need to (and can't) be rules created to enforce good judgement and good cacher citizenship. We just have to let people learn it.

Consider it considered.

I figure that they have Jeremy locked in a closet somewhere. Hydee, is that you?

edit: Names should be spelled how the owner prefers, not the 'correct' way.

Edited by sbell111
I'm too busy launching new features to be smarmy today.

I've never heard anyone call you smarmy. Snarky, yes. Other words that the forums tend to translate to totally different words, yes. :)

(Note the use of the smilie-shield.)

Edited by sbell111

Please keep this on topic. The discussion is about auto-archiving events, not new features that have been added to the site they get their own topics.

If the topic starter just wanted to make sure the idea is heard, thanks and you can close the topic. If you would like to keep it open for a community discussion of pros/cons of automating this feature please feel welcome to do so.

I do ask that the rest of you please keep to the topic.

sorry about that hydee, I had an actual point but in addition to making dinner I forgot to add it.

I'd be against automatic archiving of events. as a cache owner you have responsibility to take care of the cache, regardless of the cache type. if you plan and post a cache event, the maintenance involves archiving it after a reasonable time. i usually give our club events 3 weeks or so before killing them.

guess it would make things easier for the cache owner, but people need to take responsibility for their hides, whether it's a logbook that's full, or an event that happened 3 weeks ago. if the person forgets, a friendly email to the profile on the event (I got one on an event I had forgotten to archive, but that's only happened once in about 20 events, and I appreciated the reminder) is usually enough to get it taken care of.

:)

<snip>

For a cache that just needs some maintenance I would log a note not an SBA.

Edited by Bushwhacked Glenn

Thanks for your opinions and considering the idea.

I guess there may be a difference between the perception of the SBA button for some people.

I had seen yesterday's thread, but it went off topic so quickly that it wasn't obvious if the original idea had been noted. Sorry if this caused any offence to enyone :blink:

I'll close this topic now.

Thanks.